Load Times and 30FPS - Crash Bandicoot Remaster (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 12:16 (2499 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 12:21

That makes the game's 30 fps refresh a little harder to swallow. Vicarious should be proud of how much some of the game's scenes look pre-rendered, and the frame rate appears to have an ironclad lock at 30Hz (which, gaming historians will point out, makes this identical to the PS1 original). But control latency is key for a tough-as-nails '90s platformer, and, in the PS1 era, most gamers had the benefit of a CRT screen. Modern players are already losing a few milliseconds to their TV sets, and the worst part of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy—its gerdanged pixel-perfect jumps—are harder to swallow with the apparent extra lag that comes from a combination of a 30 fps refresh, the DualShock 4 Bluetooth controller, and any HDTV lag. (I tested N. Sane on the same rig I use to play the likes of Mega Man 2, if you're wondering about my platforming bias.)

#codywasright

I have to say while I am enjoying the N Sane Trilogy, the Arstechnica review is spot on, and once again proves that 60 FPS is not merely a luxury in this day and age. I too have played the Megaman Legacy collection on the PS4, and while it is completely playable, there is a very small period of adjustment, since it simply isn't as responsive as its NES counterpart. The reason it plays so well is the fact that it is 60fps, so your input delay is half as long. N Sane Trilogy compared to the original is sluggish, even on my fastest displays. And because the difficulty is retained, it sours things a bit. With modern display tech, every game should be aiming for 60 FPS if it depends on precision. I don't see how this isn't clear to developers. How do you not feel it when you sit down and play your own game?!

Also, the load times are abysmal. I see no reason they should exceed the load times of the PS1. Because the levels are so short, you are waiting and waiting really frequently. I had flashbacks to Wrath of Cortex (which was not developed by Naught Dog by the way).

It's such a shame, because so much effort was put into making this remaster really great, and while everything else is stellar, the most important things were neglected at the end of the day.

Load Times and 30FPS - Crash Bandicoot Remaster

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 13:18 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That makes the game's 30 fps refresh a little harder to swallow. Vicarious should be proud of how much some of the game's scenes look pre-rendered, and the frame rate appears to have an ironclad lock at 30Hz (which, gaming historians will point out, makes this identical to the PS1 original). But control latency is key for a tough-as-nails '90s platformer, and, in the PS1 era, most gamers had the benefit of a CRT screen. Modern players are already losing a few milliseconds to their TV sets, and the worst part of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy—its gerdanged pixel-perfect jumps—are harder to swallow with the apparent extra lag that comes from a combination of a 30 fps refresh, the DualShock 4 Bluetooth controller, and any HDTV lag. (I tested N. Sane on the same rig I use to play the likes of Mega Man 2, if you're wondering about my platforming bias.)

#codywasright

I have to say while I am enjoying the N Sane Trilogy, the Arstechnica review is spot on, and once again proves that 60 FPS is not merely a luxury in this day and age. I too have played the Megaman Legacy collection on the PS4, and while it is completely playable, there is a very small period of adjustment, since it simply isn't as responsive as its NES counterpart. The reason it plays so well is the fact that it is 60fps, so your input delay is half as long. N Sane Trilogy compared to the original is sluggish, even on my fastest displays. And because the difficulty is retained, it sours things a bit. With modern display tech, every game should be aiming for 60 FPS if it depends on precision. I don't see how this isn't clear to developers. How do you not feel it when you sit down and play your own game?!

...Because I don't?

I've made a few games, and played way more. I still don't get the big deal. It's like bitching that a game's power-ups are orange instead of red.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 14:36 (2499 days ago) @ CyberKN

...Because I don't?

I've made a few games, and played way more. I still don't get the big deal. It's like bitching that a game's power-ups are orange instead of red.

Clearly it is. An it's not bitching. We are talking about the fundamental ability to play these games at all.

I suspect that you, being younger than I am, might not have played precision games on a CRT screen where there was no latency. Someone commented when I mentioned the Pi emulator, that when they played a retro game on the original hardware, they were shocked at how responsive it was. They were designed for that tightness.

FIFA is not going to matter if there's a bit of latency. Something like Crash Bandicoot will.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 14:53 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...Because I don't?

Clearly it is. An it's not bitching. We are talking about the fundamental ability to play these games at all.

No we're not. If that was true, the Crash Bandicoot remaster wouldn't have an 80 on metacritic. The VAST majority of people don't care about framerate, or we would see a gulf in sales between games that are 60fps and games that are not. that gulf doesn't exist.

I suspect that you, being younger than I am, might not have played precision games on a CRT screen where there was no latency. Someone commented when I mentioned the Pi emulator, that when they played a retro game on the original hardware, they were shocked at how responsive it was. They were designed for that tightness.

#ageism

I played games on a CRT screen all the way through my first year of college.

The problems you're talking about here wouldn't be solved by a 60fps port. If there's lag introduced through whatever newfangled HDMI/LCD tech is the standard now, that's an entirely separate issue.

FIFA is not going to matter if there's a bit of latency. Something like Crash Bandicoot will.

I've never touched the gameplay side of FIFA. I did UI implementation.

The other games I've made in my own time are just as fun at 60 as they are at 30.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 14:58 (2499 days ago) @ CyberKN

The VAST majority of people don't care about framerate, or we would see a gulf in sales between games that are 60fps and games that are not. that gulf doesn't exist.

You cannot compare apples to wampa fruit. The only way is to play a version of the same game, one in 30fps, the other in 60. Such comparisons exist. Nathan Drake collection blows the PS3 originals out of the water with its smooth 60fps presentation, and the aiming feels a million times better. Looking at sales of popular games and seeing a mix of 30fps and 60fps means nothing.

The other games I've made in my own time are just as fun at 60 as they are at 30.

And are these games action games that depend on reflexes, tight timings, and precision? 30fps is fine for many genres.

80 is also not terribly high for metacritic. That's 'average'. Good is 90+

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 15:15 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The VAST majority of people don't care about framerate, or we would see a gulf in sales between games that are 60fps and games that are not. that gulf doesn't exist.

You cannot compare apples to wampa fruit. The only way is to play a version of the same game, one in 30fps, the other in 60. Such comparisons exist. Nathan Drake collection blows the PS3 originals out of the water with its smooth 60fps presentation, and the aiming feels a million times better. Looking at sales of popular games and seeing a mix of 30fps and 60fps means nothing.

It means the traits that make a game sell don't have to do with framerate (and I would also argue graphical fidelity as a whole, but game marketers love having shiny trailers and screenshots). Good luck convincing your publisher to fund additional thousands of hours of dev time for a thing which has no empirical evidence of affecting either sales or review scores.

And are these games action games that depend on reflexes, tight timings, and precision? 30fps is fine for many genres.

TIL Deus Ex is just barely "good".

You seem pretty dead set on this, so I'm just going to use this space to inform you that it's not going to change any time soon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 15:28 (2499 days ago) @ CyberKN

Good luck convincing your publisher to fund additional thousands of hours of dev time for a thing which has no empirical evidence of affecting either sales or review scores.

It IS effecting review scores. Many reviews and impressions mention the controls feeling poor. I just played the PS1 original, and it is definitely worse with the remaster.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 16:24 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You cannot compare apples to wampa fruit. The only way is to play a version of the same game, one in 30fps, the other in 60. Such comparisons exist. Nathan Drake collection blows the PS3 originals out of the water with its smooth 60fps presentation, and the aiming feels a million times better.

Your inaccurate and terrible opinion on framerate aside, the reason that aiming feels "a million times better" in the uncharted collection has nothing to do with framerate. Bluepoint stated that they were going to change the aiming in Uncharted 1 and 2 to better match the Uncharted 3 controls. They made the gameplay better on purpose; it was not the result of framerate. But then, I don't expect you to do any research at all before jumping to your conclusions...

So which is it? You say 30fps is fine, but then you say that all developers should consider anything under 60fps unacceptable. You argue with yourself more than you do with others, man...

Huh, so the 60fps version of Vanquish has a 78 on Metacritic. Literally unplayable by your own standards.
And the 30fps version got an 84. Still bad in Codyland, and yet, that one gets your praise... huh...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 16:34 (2499 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 16:43

So which is it? You say 30fps is fine, but then you say that all developers should consider anything under 60fps unacceptable. You argue with yourself more than you do with others, man...

Can you read at all? Back to the first post:

"Every game should be aiming for 60 FPS if it depends on precision."

Does a point and click adventure game depend on precision of input? No? Then 30fps is fine. 30fps for action oriented games is a poor decision, a distinction I made right away, and always have.

Huh, so the 60fps version of Vanquish has a 78 on Metacritic. Literally unplayable by your own standards. And the 30fps version got an 84. Still bad in Codyland, and yet, that one gets your praise... huh...

PC Vanquish shipped with a game breaking bug. The score is acceptable. If the PS3 version played at 60fps, it would be straight up better with zero downsides.

Your inaccurate and terrible opinion on framerate aside, the reason that aiming feels "a million times better" in the uncharted collection has nothing to do with framerate. Bluepoint stated that they were going to change the aiming in Uncharted 1 and 2 to better match the Uncharted 3 controls. They made the gameplay better on purpose; it was not the result of framerate. But then, I don't expect you to do any research at all before jumping to your conclusions...

Uncharted 3 played better as well… because of the framerate.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 23:43 (2499 days ago) @ CyberKN

The problems you're talking about here wouldn't be solved by a 60fps port.

It wouldn't solve root cause, but it could be used as compensation. Higher framerate targets do in practice tend to reduce input lag.

What if history was reversed?

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 15:34 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What if higher latency like that which exists today came first?

Would people flock to a game like Crash Bandicoot because it required pixel perfect jumps?

My thoughts are, they would not.

TL;DR

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 18:14 (2499 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Crash Bandicoot remains a bad game, like it always has been.

TL;DR +1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 10:13 (2498 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I lol'd and nodded my head XD

A few thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 07:47 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This thread is a little all over the place ;)

So a few things jump out at me about this topic.

First of all, 60fps clearly, obviously improves the controls of any game. This shouldn't even be an argument. It's a plain fact. A game running at 60fps is twice as responsive as a game running at 30fps.

That doesn't mean games running at 30fps feel "bad" or are "unplayable". Destiny feels great! In fact, the feel of the game is probably the most consistently praised thing about it. BUT... go play nothing but Titanfall 2 for a couple weeks, then jump back into Destiny. You'll feel like you're trying to move while underwater for the first hour or two, until your brain and hands get used to the slower response time again.

So is it a "must have" feature? Clearly not in all cases, but it does make an appreciable difference with games that move quickly and require precise timing.

Regarding the "most people don't notice 60fps" argument: This is true, in that user research data shows that the majority of people say they can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps while watching videos or playing games. I've mentioned this myself several times in the past.
However, there is often a large gulf between what people detect and their ability to specifically quantify it. To put it another way, if you grabbed 1000 gamers and asked them to play Halo 3 and COD MW2 back to back, then asked them which game "controlled better", I guarantee the vast majority would say "COD". They just probably wouldn't understand why it feels better to control. Their eyes may not detect the smoother frame rate or quicker response times, but they will almost certainly pick up on the fact that it just "feels better".

In the specific case of this Crash Bandicoot remaster, it sounds to me like there are several issues piling up:
* The added lag from HDMI/HD tvs as compared to older CRT screens
* The added lag from wireless controllers
* The slower response time of 30fps opposed to 60fps
No one of these issues on their own would be that big a deal, but pile them up on top of each other and you will certainly get a game that does not control as well as the original. And being a game where timing is extremely important, I can totally see why Cody and others would find this unacceptable.

Regarding some of the other remastered games discussed in this thread (Uncharted, TLOU), I find these cases to be a little muddier in terms of this discussion. I haven't played the Uncharted collection, but there is no doubt that TLOU remaster on PS4 controls better than the original PS3 version. Some of that is due to the remaster running at 60fps, but another reason is the change in controllers: the Dual Shock 3 had terrible analog sticks ever made, while the Dual Shock 4 has some of the best sticks on a gaming controller ever. But either way, neither TLOU or Uncharted are great cases for the importance of 60fps, because the shooting mechanics in both games are poor to serviceable at best. Faster controller response is great, but laggy controls were never really the problem with the shooting in those games, so its not an improvement that many people will get excited about.

A few thoughts

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, July 03, 2017, 08:38 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It is completely and inexplicably true that something that is demonstrably better will not always bee appreciated. I can't tell you how many times I have put a retina screen right next to an older tech screen and had someone say they see no difference. Sometimes they can be coatched into seeing it (uasually increased dynamic range and contrast are the low handing fruit). And so it's it true that the benefit will go over people's heads, but in general it is appreciated.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/4592/vast-majority-of-gamers-prefers-120-hz-monitors

What is also true is that just because the advancement is not appreciated by everyone it does not mean it isn't worth implementing it. Because there are saltation points where it is better for everyone*, and the only way to get there is through the in-between. Unless we push for continual improvement, we never get to the point that everyone benefits.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4&ebc=ANyPxKoRnBBNRr7NJ8u0GAGsVjBK4yHy_VS6TSMOgVcRfUySKn7Z_OdVatr3bgyQ-wu...

But there are costs. There is a tech "budget" and increasing the frame rate will eat up resources that could have gone somewhere else that people like. So don't be too mad at someone for having different priorities.

And all that said, people are conflating response time, input lag, display lag, input cycle frequency, and frame rate all over this thread. They are related (and sometimes interrelated) but different things.

A few thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 09:03 (2498 days ago) @ Vortech

They are different things, but the point is more latency between when you push the button and when you see a response is present in modern equipment just by the nature of the tech. So, you shouldn't make it even worse with your game design choices, especially if you came relies on precise inputs.

A few thoughts

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 10:13 (2498 days ago) @ Vortech

But there are costs. There is a tech "budget" and increasing the frame rate will eat up resources that could have gone somewhere else that people like. So don't be too mad at someone for having different priorities.

Yes, that is the big part of this issue that I didn't bring up at all. And it's why I personally don't fall into the hardline "60fps or GTFO" crowd. I'm perfectly happy playing a game that runs at a rock solid 30fps, and the trade-offs required to bring that same game up to 60fps would not always be worthwhile for me.

The point I was trying to stress is that games running at 60fps will inherently control better than games that run at 30fps (unless something else related to input response goes horribly wrong). As you said, that fact will land higher or lower on each gamer's personal priority scale.

A few thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 10:46 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Right, which is why with some genres, the tech budget IS better spent elsewhere. I'd rather have Quantic Dream give me better faces in Detroit than making it run at 60fps. But when you have a PLATFORMER, perfect control trumps pretty much everything else.

These old games used challenge to engage, which is not a requirement in this day and age since the tech has advanced so much.

And this is why they had a problem.

by Funkmon @, Monday, July 03, 2017, 11:02 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They could make the game easier, which would lead to complaints, or keep the timing intact, which would lead to complaints, or they could do 60FPS with dumpy graphics, which would lead to complaints.

60 FPS is not automatically better

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 03, 2017, 12:47 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

BUT... go play nothing but Titanfall 2 for a couple weeks, then jump back into Destiny. You'll feel like you're trying to move while underwater for the first hour or two, until your brain and hands get used to the slower response time again.

Having actually done this, I disagree entirely. I highly enjoy Titanfall 2, but I find still find Destiny's controls feel smoother even though it's only at 30 FPS.

The point I was trying to stress is that games running at 60fps will inherently control better than games that run at 30fps (unless something else related to input response goes horribly wrong). As you said, that fact will land higher or lower on each gamer's personal priority scale.

I know some people can't tell the difference between 60 and 30 FPS (I can, personally) but 60 FPS doesn't automatically make a game better or control better because there are a lot of other factors in making controls feel smooth. As a practical example, take Halo 2 auto aim. If you drag the cursor from one side of an opponents head to another while you shoot, then the game automatically corrects your aim for the headshot. 30 FPS or 60 FPS is not going to make much of a difference in that case, and could actually make it harder to land headshots depending on how that auto-aim behavior works. Just bumping to 60 FPS might actually reduce the amount of time you have to adjust your aim for the headshot and thus make it harder to kill your targets.

If you make sure to tune your controls for 60 FPS they will be more precise, it's just that precision isn't the only thing that matters (at least with a controller/on a console).

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 13:51 (2498 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Monday, July 03, 2017, 13:55

BUT... go play nothing but Titanfall 2 for a couple weeks, then jump back into Destiny. You'll feel like you're trying to move while underwater for the first hour or two, until your brain and hands get used to the slower response time again.

Having actually done this, I disagree entirely. I highly enjoy Titanfall 2, but I find still find Destiny's controls feel smoother even though it's only at 30 FPS.

This is where personal preferences kick in, I'm sure :) And from a certain point of view, it could be a semantic thing as well. For example, I can see how Destiny would be described as "smoother" in that the movement and stick controls carry more "inertia". Turning, looking, moving... all these actions have a silky-smooth appearance. But that appearance comes at the cost of responsiveness. Bungie has also done some absolutely brilliant work when it comes to the way player movement is communicated from a 1st-person perspective. The subtle nuances of head bob, limb-animation, field of view particulars... all that stuff is masterfully tweaked to create a smooth appearance, and to avoid disorienting the player.

Titanfall is more stripped back with regards to some of those features, favoring responsiveness above all else. When you combine Titanfall's player-speed with its gameplay verticality and traversal options, it is critical that the player be able to look and move exactly where they want, when they want. To watch someone else play both games, Titanfall will certainly appear to be more "jerky" than Destiny, but that's because the game responds to the slightest little twitch of the thumbstick faster and more accurately.

*edit*

But when it comes to the raw moment-to-moment gameplay, Titanfall's responsive controls allow me to aim better, move with more precision, and maneuver deftly, all at much higher speeds than Destiny. When it comes purely to control accuracy, Titanfall is superior and largely so because of the higher frame rate. But as we've said before, you then get into the discussion of priorities, and where precision ranks on each player's personal ladder.

I know some people can't tell the difference between 60 and 30 FPS (I can, personally) but 60 FPS doesn't automatically make a game better or control better because there are a lot of other factors in making controls feel smooth. As a practical example, take Halo 2 auto aim. If you drag the cursor from one side of an opponents head to another while you shoot, then the game automatically corrects your aim for the headshot. 30 FPS or 60 FPS is not going to make much of a difference in that case, and could actually make it harder to land headshots depending on how that auto-aim behavior works. Just bumping to 60 FPS might actually reduce the amount of time you have to adjust your aim for the headshot and thus make it harder to kill your targets.

I see this issue from a slightly different angle. To me, this is not an example of "30fps being better than 60fps"... rather, I see it as an example of a flaw in the game's auto aim that was being partially clouded by sluggish controls, and only fully revealed by more responsive controls.

Either way, it's not a black and white issue. I myself have made the argument that the PS3 version of The Last of Us looks better than the PS4 remaster, because the higher in-game resolution only makes it easier to see many of the game's (now) dated textures and environmental details. But my takeaway from that I wish the PS4 version had better textures, not that 1080p isn't an improvement. (And yet I could argue against myself by saying 'but in this specific case, I like the way the game looks better at 720, so 720 is better for this game').

I'm so confused lol

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 03, 2017, 15:52 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I see this issue from a slightly different angle. To me, this is not an example of "30fps being better than 60fps"... rather, I see it as an example of a flaw in the game's auto aim that was being partially clouded by sluggish controls, and only fully revealed by more responsive controls.

Certainly possible, and of course this is all theoretical since we don't have a 30 fps version and a 60 fps version of Halo 2 to compare. Another thing to think about is that on previous console generations (before 720p and 1080p) we had a lot fewer display pixels in addition to the lower-fidelity analog stick input control. For a FPS on console to have good controls, we generally had to have good auto-aim assistance. That's probably a bit less true today because resolutions are higher, but the analog stick is still not as precise as a mouse.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 17:04 (2498 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Don't you have MCC? Doesn't Halo 2 run at 60fps even in classic graphics mode?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 03, 2017, 15:52 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But as we've said before, you then get into the discussion of priorities, and where precision ranks on each player's personal ladder.

Not only that, but also where fast paced, twitchy, “the enemy can slingshot around a building and shotgun you before you know what’s happening” gameplay ranks on each player’s personal ladder. I’ve spent a decade and a half avoiding games like that! Even though I know it shouldn’t, all this talk about the superiority of 60fps does get a little mixed with my dislike or complete non-interest in the games being used as the shinning examples of the advantages of higher frame rate.

I guess it just feels a little funny that this whole discussion is revolving around Crash Bandicoot and Titanfall, and I gotta ask: Are there any good games that run at 60fps? ;)

DOOM

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:00 (2498 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Though when I cap it at 30fps it's still amazing

Also Halo 5

by Funkmon @, Monday, July 03, 2017, 21:09 (2498 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:06 (2498 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I guess it just feels a little funny that this whole discussion is revolving around Crash Bandicoot and Titanfall, and I gotta ask: Are there any good games that run at 60fps? ;)

Well, fighting games would completely be destroyed if they didn't run at 60fps, so take your pick of the best ones.

I specifically asked for good games... :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:08 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:59 (2498 days ago) @ Ragashingo

But as we've said before, you then get into the discussion of priorities, and where precision ranks on each player's personal ladder.

Not only that, but also where fast paced, twitchy, “the enemy can slingshot around a building and shotgun you before you know what’s happening” gameplay ranks on each player’s personal ladder. I’ve spent a decade and a half avoiding games like that! Even though I know it shouldn’t, all this talk about the superiority of 60fps does get a little mixed with my dislike or complete non-interest in the games being used as the shinning examples of the advantages of higher frame rate.

Hah, well I would ask in return "do you dislike those games because their controls are more responsive?" ;p

But to your point, the games where 60fps is more important are games that tend to be extremely fast paced, and if those games aren't your thing than you're obviously less likely to care about it so much.

But the point I was trying to make earlier was more academic than that. I'm basically just saying that games that run at 60fps have faster, more responsive controls than games that don't. Rather than people arguing that it does or doesn't matter, I think we could all agree that it makes a difference, and it's up to each individual whether or not they care about that difference.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, July 03, 2017, 18:56 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But that is the only part I disagree with you on (and note that I'm still replying to stuff all over this thread, not just you even though you happen to be the last post each time I reply). 60fps is display tech. It does not mean controls are more responsive. The most you can say is that IF it has more responsive controls, you will be able to see it and or take advantage of it because of 60fps. But, if it samples the controller at 30hertz, or if the wireless controller packages data into bursts, or the input processing is not given enough priority, or if a bunch of other things happen the controls will not be better just because of 60fps.

You can call it semantics, but these are not two words for the same thing. These are different things, (a whole lot of different things) and if we are going to make demands of developers or set minimum floors it would probably make sense to have enough precision that you get the benefit you are after.

For me, for a platforming game, I would much rather have it spend bandwidth over sampling the input than displaying a higher frame rate, if I have to choose one. It's about timing, not waiting until my eye sees and processes the exact right frame.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 03, 2017, 19:22 (2498 days ago) @ Vortech

But that is the only part I disagree with you on (and note that I'm still replying to stuff all over this thread, not just you even though you happen to be the last post each time I reply). 60fps is display tech. It does not mean controls are more responsive. The most you can say is that IF it has more responsive controls, you will be able to see it and or take advantage of it because of 60fps. But, if it samples the controller at 30hertz, or if the wireless controller packages data into bursts, or the input processing is not given enough priority, or if a bunch of other things happen the controls will not be better just because of 60fps.

You can call it semantics, but these are not two words for the same thing. These are different things, (a whole lot of different things) and if we are going to make demands of developers or set minimum floors it would probably make sense to have enough precision that you get the benefit you are after.

For me, for a platforming game, I would much rather have it spend bandwidth over sampling the input than displaying a higher frame rate, if I have to choose one. It's about timing, not waiting until my eye sees and processes the exact right frame.

My understanding was (and it wouldn't shock me at all to learn there are exceptions) that most game engines tie frame rate to input response (along with many other game-state calculations). So the typical scenario for any game to run at 60fps is where the game is pulling controller input data 60 times per second as well.

Especially given the fact that most gamers can't even *see* the difference between 30 and 60, the primary reason developers site when prioritizing 60fps is to allow for more responsive controls.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, July 03, 2017, 19:39 (2498 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have no idea if that is or is not, but I just foresee a monkey paw situation where the demand for 60fps is met by cutting the corners of the pages you cared about.

Plus, I'm just downright pedantic sometimes.

Not necessarily

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 09:35 (2497 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Most modern games are multithreaded, so it really depends on how the game decided to split up threads. Generally, the main thread is responsible for rendering, while another thread is responsible for physics calculations. So 60 FPS in a multithreaded game usually has nothing to do with the physics simulation and input handling. See this Gameastura article of a brief overview. Even in a non multi-threaded design, the main game loop will schedule the rendering pass based on how long it takes to handle everything else so the input handling tends to be somewhat decoupled from the display.

Not necessarily

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 10:04 (2497 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Most modern games are multithreaded, so it really depends on how the game decided to split up threads. Generally, the main thread is responsible for rendering, while another thread is responsible for physics calculations. So 60 FPS in a multithreaded game usually has nothing to do with the physics simulation and input handling. See this Gameastura article of a brief overview. Even in a non multi-threaded design, the main game loop will schedule the rendering pass based on how long it takes to handle everything else so the input handling tends to be somewhat decoupled from the display.

I wonder if this is why all other things being as equal as they can be, modern games on the whole feel less crisp and responsive. Uberfoop even mentioned how old systems woudn't even save the rendered frame in RAM (there wasn't enough!), and would just stream the video data on a line by line basis as the TV was drawing (some games took advantage of this for trickery like transparency and other effects).

It seems the deck is stacked against response time pretty heavily now.

by FyreWulff, Monday, July 03, 2017, 13:08 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The current generation of consoles are terrible for input latency. I'm a hardcore Rock Band guy (over 1000 DLC), and that's a game that is even more latency sensitive than shooters, fighters, or platformers... but we're stuck with certain letdowns because the current gen consoles either have too much latency along the line or their controller decoding is also quite slow.

For example, they had to pretty much get rid of the freestyle drum option because there is really bad latency now. This is even on the same TV, just going between the 360 and the One, tons of lag.

And this is a game that runs at 60fps.

Can't you set a custom delay option?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 00:12 (2498 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

Can't you set a custom delay option?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 00:49 (2498 days ago) @ Funkmon

Yes. I remember Guitar Hero had a calibration to that effect.

Waiting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 13:50 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why does the old version start twice as fast as the new version?

Waiting

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 03, 2017, 15:24 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not every hardware component has advanced at the same rate over the last twenty years. We have exponentially more memory for storing things like textures, models, and sound files, but the speed at which we can load those assets into said memory has not increased at the same rate.

Waiting

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 03, 2017, 18:58 (2498 days ago) @ CyberKN

Not every hardware component has advanced at the same rate over the last twenty years. We have exponentially more memory for storing things like textures, models, and sound files, but the speed at which we can load those assets into said memory has not increased at the same rate.

For instance, the original Crash Bandicoot ran at 320x240, while the new updated version runs at 2560x1440. The original version ran at TWO percent of the number of pixels. And that's JUST resolution, not considering at all the updated textures, etc to make the game actually look GOOD at 1440p.

Waiting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 14:20 (2497 days ago) @ Xenos

For instance, the original Crash Bandicoot ran at 320x240, while the new updated version runs at 2560x1440. The original version ran at TWO percent of the number of pixels. And that's JUST resolution, not considering at all the updated textures, etc to make the game actually look GOOD at 1440p.

The original actually ran at 512 x 240. They actually used simple shading, and no textures in a lot of places for performance reasons.

Waiting

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 06:55 (2496 days ago) @ CyberKN

TBF, modern SSD/Hybrid Drives are exponentially faster than the old janky CDROM in the PSX.

Waiting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 08:27 (2496 days ago) @ electricpirate

TBF, modern SSD/Hybrid Drives are exponentially faster than the old janky CDROM in the PSX.

I believe the CD drive was 2x (2 Megabits / sec) with a 200ms seek time.

Waiting

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:22 (2498 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because the new one doesn't look like smashed dogshit?

Cody this a stupid point to try and be making and you know it.

Waiting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:49 (2498 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Because the new one doesn't look like smashed dogshit?

Cody this a stupid point to try and be making and you know it.

At the end of the day you are still waiting through long load times.

Destiny's loading may be long, but it is upfront, and when at your destination you can spend hours (raids especially) without seeing another loading screen. I suppose Destiny can do this because it's pretty linear, and can cache and preload as you go through the spaces.

Crash is not. Especially if you are going for gems, you'll be backtracking, and entering levels out of order. There are gems in the remaster that you can only get without dying. So die, and you must suffer two long load screens before being able to restart, because for whatever reason there's no option to simply restart level.

Knowing this, if I were in charge, I would have made it a priority to reduce load times since they impact the player more than other types of games. Saying it's prettier doesn't address this.

This thread is Cody's game review.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 01:58 (2498 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 02:03

He's structured it as a commentary on the industry at large, but it's just this game.

Cody Review: fine, I'm obviously playing it a lot, but the input lag is enough to make this game more frustrating than it was originally. I think 60FPS would have alleviated this. I also find the load times frustrating.

Cody does something that some journalists do, or at least some writers. They make a mountain out of a molehill, but not so obviously. They eliminate the phrase "I think" from their writing, as it's perceived as weakening an argument they put forward, and they present their argument as fact, then support it. They always do put forward an argument, by the way. In gaming, you may have an Assassin's Creed game review veer off to the cookie cutter open world win districts format, and talk about why that is objectively bad game design. They, of course, would acknowledge that it isn't objectively bad if pressed, but they know that any hedging weakens their argument. They miss the point though, and forget to review the actual game. They want to make their argument.

Cody, game review deadline absent, is free to make these arguments, and he makes them strongly, with basic and effective writing tactics. Most of us perceive this forum as a place to just chat with friends. Cody does too, but also seems to secondarily treat the forum as an exercise in attempting to convince people that he's correct about things and others are wrong, as opposed to just sharing ideas.

Once you read the posts through these glasses, Cheapley, it's NBD. He's sharing that he is playing this game, but it has technical problems he doesn't like. He then takes the opportunity to assert an argument of objective truth of games, which is just his opinion, written like an op-ed. Not dissimilar to anything else anybody else here does. You just have to read through Cody filter of probably not as confident as he sounds, much like people should read things I say through the Funkmon filter of probably not being serious.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 06:57 (2497 days ago) @ Funkmon

Also, like most folks with that mentality, if you invalidate his opinion with facts, he will completely ignore your post. If you present him with enough facts to change his mind, he will not acknowledge it until called out on it way down the road. In both scenarios, he may cling to one tiny aspect of your post that he can argue against, and ignore the rest of the post. I've seen folks with that complex for years, and usually their defense to their arbitrary statements is "Whoah hey, it's obviously just my opinion!" even though they they never present it as such.
Now I'm not saying that Cody is cancer, but folks like that killed HBO, and tend to ruin the comraderie of other communities...

Most of us are used to Cody being this way, though (especially when we play with him, and the one time that I hung out with him for a few days). So we mentally stick the "in my likely-wrong opinion" in front of his posts for him, and when you get past all that, he's a pretty fun guy...
Although he does treat the forum a bit like his personal social media wall. But hey, as long as it gets discussions going...

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 10:11 (2497 days ago) @ Korny

Also, like most folks with that mentality, if you invalidate his opinion with facts, he will completely ignore your post. If you present him with enough facts to change his mind, he will not acknowledge it until called out on it way down the road.

Blackt1g3r did, and his post about multithreading really does illustrate how 60 fps may not necessarily be twice as responsive. I suppose gains are on a case by case basis. But, with everything else stacked against responsiveness, any effort to mitigate that for an action oriented game is welcome.

And by the way, when VV showed off the game initially, it WAS running at 60fps. Source.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 07:07 (2497 days ago) @ Funkmon

He's structured it as a commentary on the industry at large, but it's just this game.

Cody Review: fine, I'm obviously playing it a lot, but the input lag is enough to make this game more frustrating than it was originally. I think 60FPS would have alleviated this. I also find the load times frustrating.

Cody does something that some journalists do, or at least some writers. They make a mountain out of a molehill, but not so obviously. They eliminate the phrase "I think" from their writing, as it's perceived as weakening an argument they put forward, and they present their argument as fact, then support it. They always do put forward an argument, by the way. In gaming, you may have an Assassin's Creed game review veer off to the cookie cutter open world win districts format, and talk about why that is objectively bad game design. They, of course, would acknowledge that it isn't objectively bad if pressed, but they know that any hedging weakens their argument. They miss the point though, and forget to review the actual game. They want to make their argument.

Cody, game review deadline absent, is free to make these arguments, and he makes them strongly, with basic and effective writing tactics. Most of us perceive this forum as a place to just chat with friends. Cody does too, but also seems to secondarily treat the forum as an exercise in attempting to convince people that he's correct about things and others are wrong, as opposed to just sharing ideas.

Once you read the posts through these glasses, Cheapley, it's NBD. He's sharing that he is playing this game, but it has technical problems he doesn't like. He then takes the opportunity to assert an argument of objective truth of games, which is just his opinion, written like an op-ed. Not dissimilar to anything else anybody else here does. You just have to read through Cody filter of probably not as confident as he sounds, much like people should read things I say through the Funkmon filter of probably not being serious.

I still think DBO needs a kind of gizoogle-like filter options, customized for each forum member XD

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 07:37 (2497 days ago) @ Funkmon

Good post, thanks Funkmon.

I know all that, but my Cody filter gets worn down after time, you know? It's one thing to present a strong argument, and quite another to be willfully ignorant to make your point. It's tiresome sometimes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread