End of an Era (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 21:47 (2482 days ago)

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/7/19/16001244/sonic-the-hedgehog-archie-comic-book-canceled-sega-future-of-sonic-...

It's official. The Archie Sonic Comic series has been canceled. It was the longest running video game comic series ever, as well as the longest running monthly comic series of any kind without a relaunch. I've been buying them almost as long as I can remember.

Too bad, Sonic Mania is bound to kick up interest in the Blue Blur.

*INB4 Morpheus*

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 21:54 (2482 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 21:59

- No text -

Yeah...Conflicting Feelings.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 23:47 (2482 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I'm heartbroken that it ended like this—when my comic book store hadn't gotten any new issues in months, and I still couldn't get a hold of Knuckles Archive 5 I had heard about some delaying problems. I thought it had to do with the whole Ken Penders thing.

(Which--wow.)

I am relieved that Sega explicitly stated that it won't be the end of Sonic comics--to be honest, Sonic's been underfoot to that ridiculous Archie nonsense for far too long anyway.

However, I'm desperately hoping there will still be a way to view and/or purchase the hundreds of comics they have on the app--I'm only up to #72, #21 on Knuckles, the first two Sonic Selects, and the old SSS's!

(Turns out buying 350+ digital comics varying from $2-$14 bucks each is kinda expensive.)

At some point, piracy becomes morally fine.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 03:29 (2481 days ago) @ Morpheus

I would argue that it becomes fine when your comic is off the market and you can't buy it anymore.

If the app stops selling them, hit up some torrent sites.

Yep, I agree

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 07:28 (2481 days ago) @ Funkmon

I mean, if the point has come where you are actually not ABLE to buy the thing in question, I don't see the problem.

Unless it later becomes available again, but that's really still their own fault, and if you feel bad about having a free thing there's nothing stopping you from buying it then.

Well...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 08:48 (2481 days ago) @ stabbim

I highly doubt that Sonic the Hedgehog comics will be in serious demand(or any, for that matter) on ThePirateBay.

It took two weeks of searching just to locate the Sonic Blast and SSS books. I didn't even find any results for Knuckles #22.

The Archie app still has them for now, but I might have to use some serious alternative methods or I'll be stuck (ironically) in the same place I was 20 years ago.

Well...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 08:57 (2481 days ago) @ Morpheus

I highly doubt that Sonic the Hedgehog comics will be in serious demand(or any, for that matter) on ThePirateBay.

It took two weeks of searching just to locate the Sonic Blast and SSS books. I didn't even find any results for Knuckles #22.

The Archie app still has them for now, but I might have to use some serious alternative methods or I'll be stuck (ironically) in the same place I was 20 years ago.

I'll send you jpegs of the ones you want to read. I do have every single one after all.

Man, I Gotta Say...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, July 23, 2017, 12:14 (2478 days ago) @ Pyromancy

That was super fast, even by my standards!

Then again, Sonic said it himself: " When fast thinking of the essence, I'm the essence of fast thinking!"

realized that I have issue #0

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, August 07, 2017, 08:54 (2463 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/7/19/16001244/sonic-the-hedgehog-archie-comic-book-canceled-sega-future-of-sonic-...

It's official. The Archie Sonic Comic series has been canceled. It was the longest running video game comic series ever, as well as the longest running monthly comic series of any kind without a relaunch. I've been buying them almost as long as I can remember.

Too bad, Sonic Mania is bound to kick up interest in the Blue Blur.

was going through the upstairs closet recently, and found my trunk of comics, and Sonic #0 was inside.

realized that I have issue #0

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 07, 2017, 09:24 (2463 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

was going through the upstairs closet recently, and found my trunk of comics, and Sonic #0 was inside.

Cool.

I guess no time was wasted, because Sega made a deal with IDW. Sonic comics will live again in December.

Speaking Of Numbers...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, August 09, 2017, 11:04 (2461 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Just got up to 99—at least $210, not including mini-series and Sonic Select. Feels good catching up!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread