Preliminary deals post (Cody has no excuse edition)... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 24, 2017, 10:37 (2478 days ago)
edited by Korny, Monday, July 24, 2017, 10:47

Are you a weirdo who still prefers physical disks to the vastly superior digital format?
Then you're in luck!
You can get a new physical copy of Horizon Zero Dawn for $30 from Amazon, with Prime shipping!
You can also get it for the same price at Best Buy, or for $24 If you have "Gamers Club Unlocked" with them.

Need newer controllers for the hardware-destroying Vortechs in your life? The updated DS4 is available right now for $40 (even in gold!).

Preliminary deals post (Cody has no excuse edition)...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, July 24, 2017, 10:48 (2478 days ago) @ Korny

Need newer controllers for the hardware-destroying Vortechs in your life? The updated DS4 is available right now for $40 (even in gold!).

Yeah, you all can send me controllers if you want.

There. I ordered it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 24, 2017, 11:11 (2478 days ago) @ Korny

This game better be amazing.

Did you finish Dishonored?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 11:27 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

No

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 24, 2017, 11:57 (2478 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm going to start over anyway on the PC/Mac since it does not feel good at all on the console.

speaking of...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 28, 2017, 12:43 (2474 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Best game of the last 5 years, imo

by Kahzgul, Monday, July 24, 2017, 12:15 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It's definitely up there.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 16:41 (2477 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The only thing that really beats it for me is Breath of the Wild, but I haven't even come close to finishing that so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

I like The Witcher 3 better, but I think Horizon is probably actually the better game.

by Kahzgul, Monday, July 24, 2017, 17:03 (2477 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The only thing that really beats it for me is Breath of the Wild, but I haven't even come close to finishing that so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

I like The Witcher 3 better, but I think Horizon is probably actually the better game.

I haven't played Breath of the Wild, so take my claim with a grain of salt. HZD beats W3 for me on the purely primal joy I have at fighting robo-dinosaurs. It's not a thing I ever thought my life needed, but damn - my life needed that!

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 17:09 (2477 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I haven't played Breath of the Wild, so take my claim with a grain of salt. HZD beats W3 for me on the purely primal joy I have at fighting robo-dinosaurs. It's not a thing I ever thought my life needed, but damn - my life needed that!

Yeah, I'd agree. I like the gameplay loop of Horizon more, and I think it's just a better designed, more coherent experience. The Witcher 3 has a lot of half-baked systems that prevent it from being as good a package, I think. I just like being in that world more. They're both amazing, and I can't wait to jump back into Horizon's DLC.

Better than Destiny or TLOU? Or even Sonic Lost World?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 10:32 (2477 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Better

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 11:30 (2477 days ago) @ Funkmon

Better than pretty much every game -- except for TLOU, Portal, and Super Mario World.

Super Mario World is no joke.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 11:38 (2477 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

SMB 3 was better

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 14:01 (2476 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Super Mario All Stars is the best Mario game...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 14:07 (2476 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Especially if you got the version that included Super Mario World...

[image]

That's technically correct.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 01:04 (2476 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

No it's not

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:17 (2476 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's literally not the same game. The graphics and even physics were altered.

SMB 3 NES or bust.

Better

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:17 (2477 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Better than pretty much every game -- except for TLOU, Portal, and Super Mario World.

But is it better than DEUS EX?! :-p

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:23 (2477 days ago) @ Funkmon

I've not playing Sonic Lost World, so I can't say with regards to that game. Definitely better than Destiny and TLOU in my book. There's no weak links in HZD. No wonky gameplay or boring enemy AI. The encounters all feel scripted, even in an open world. Every shot is stunning.

Destiny has terrific gunplay mired in a grindy gameplay loop (sorry) with precious little story. TLOU has terrific story, but is a great stealth game married to a mediocre third person shooter. That holds it back.

Horizon has a great story, great gameplay, there is no grind at all, and all of the systems work beautifully. I can't point to any part of the game and say "that's a weak link." There simply aren't any flaws. It's wholly satisfying front to back, and is so fun to play that, upon completing it, I immediately jumped back in. Plus the devs are still adding new features at player requests. Just a couple weeks ago they added new game+. It really is a marvel.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:52 (2477 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've not playing Sonic Lost World, so I can't say with regards to that game. Definitely better than Destiny and TLOU in my book. There's no weak links in HZD. No wonky gameplay or boring enemy AI. The encounters all feel scripted, even in an open world. Every shot is stunning.

The biggest complaints that I hear about HZD is the fact that the Human enemies aren't as fun to fight as the robot dinosaurs. A shocking claim, I know... And yet, I enjoyed the human enemies enough as a change of pace and strategy...

TLOU has terrific story, but is a great stealth game married to a mediocre third person shooter. That holds it back.

Play it on Grounded difficulty. You won't have to worry about shooting elements, since you'll have zero ammo throughout most of the game. :P

... Seriously though, I had a great, painful time playing it on Grounded, where you really have to play the entire game stealthily, even during the unavoidable firefights, so every room becomes a complex puzzle that has a couple of possible solutions.

Horizon has a great story, great gameplay, there is no grind at all, and all of the systems work beautifully. I can't point to any part of the game and say "that's a weak link." There simply aren't any flaws. It's wholly satisfying front to back, and is so fun to play that, upon completing it, I immediately jumped back in. Plus the devs are still adding new features at player requests. Just a couple weeks ago they added new game+. It really is a marvel.

New Game+, an even-harder difficulty, new weapon & armor tiers, and cosmetic rewards for playing through NG+. It was a neat surprise.

Not to mention that they bothered to release a Latin-American Spanish language pack for free as well, simply because of fan request (yeah, we can understand Castilian Spanish well enough, but It's Not The Same!). Combine that with the multiple additions and improvements to Photo Mode, and Guerilla is quickly becoming one of my favorite studios...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 14:34 (2476 days ago) @ Korny

. . . and Guerilla is quickly becoming one of my favorite studios...

Killzone was always fine for what it is, but Horizon elevated them to a top tier studio in my mind.

Titanfall 2 is back down to $20, just in time for Co-op.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 13:51 (2476 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 13:55

Are you a weirdo who still prefers physical disks to the vastly superior digital format?
Then you're in luck!
You can get a new physical copy of Horizon Zero Dawn for $30 from Amazon, with Prime shipping!
You can also get it for the same price at Best Buy, or for $24 If you have "Gamers Club Unlocked" with them.

A great game that's grown bigger every time we've gushed about it here, this week it's available for $20. Among the things added to the game since the last time we posted about it is a 4-player co-op horde mode that launched today. One of the best things in the first game, I hear, and it comes with special rewards and skins for your Titans and pilot!
And yeh, it's still all free.

Want to support the devs for this awesome package? You can get the Deluxe Edition of the game for $5 more, and get a pair of exclusive cosmetic reskins for a couple of Titans, as well as a handful of other cosmetics...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 14:44 (2476 days ago) @ Korny

I don't know if this makes you more or less likely to buy, but I have been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 lately and I'm looking for people to play with pretty often. And, if you gave it a shot before and gave up. I did too and came back to it and hit a point were things just started to click. (when I hopped over to the XBL version a couple weeks ago the same happened so it may just be about unlocking the right perks of my play style).

Point is: Everybody in the pool; the water is fine.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 20:04 (2476 days ago) @ Vortech

Point is: Everybody in the pool; the water is fine.

Nah, I think Cruel peed in there. :P

Co-op is a blast!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 20:57 (2476 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 10:35 (2476 days ago) @ Vortech

It really is great.

Titan progression really changes the game. The whole Frontier Defense experience is way deeper than I expected it to be. Hats off to Respawn for incredible support and new feature releases well after launch.

~m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread