IGN Nessus video (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 13:28 (2468 days ago)

IGN has a new runthrough of all the stuff going on in Nessus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QlGmv8-5c

A few highlights

- Public Events now have regular and Heroic. Heroics are triggered in event by accomplishing some goal (Finish fast, hold a point during the event, don't allow enemies into x etc) for extra rewards.
- More new public events than currently exist in Destiny, plus the current events are all returning
- Adventures are short quests with story, played entirely in Patrol. A big focus in storytelling
- Lost sectors are those pointless caves in Destiny writ large, now with some kind of encounter and a boss
- Story quests are large scale, multi step quests which tell larger stories
- Flashpoints will focus on public events, Nightfall class rewards for finishing enough, but they will also have new bosses with hidden triggers, new treasure maps sold by cade and more *tm* that we haven't seen yet.

Very exciting video, go watch, I glossed over some of the interesting bits.

As someone who spent year 2 of destiny either in COO or hanging out in public event spaces to help people bring down those taken champions, I think this is a fantastic set of changes. It demonstrates more storytelling (and storytelling that fits Destiny) and a commitment to the social mechanics that underpin destiny.

IGN Nessus video

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 24, 2017, 13:32 (2468 days ago) @ electricpirate

- Public Events now have regular and Heroic. Heroics are triggered in event by accomplishing some goal (Finish fast, hold a point during the event, don't allow enemies into x etc) for extra rewards.
- More new public events than currently exist in Destiny, plus the current events are all returning
- Adventures are short quests with story, played entirely in Patrol. A big focus in storytelling
- Lost sectors are those pointless caves in Destiny writ large, now with some kind of encounter and a boss
- Story quests are large scale, multi step quests which tell larger stories
- Flashpoints will focus on public events, Nightfall class rewards for finishing enough, but they will also have new bosses with hidden triggers, new treasure maps sold by cade and more *tm* that we haven't seen yet.

Very exciting video, go watch, I glossed over some of the interesting bits.

This all sounds rad.

Except for Markers

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:27 (2468 days ago) @ Cody Miller

WHY DO LOST SECTORS HAVE MARKERS?!

Wow, this is a huge mistake. They should not be marked at all. It's way cooler to actually EXPLORE and find something, than follow a marker. These just got way less cooler knowing there's indicators for them.

Except for Markers

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:33 (2468 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wow, this is a huge mistake. They should not be marked at all. It's way cooler to actually EXPLORE and find something, than follow a marker. These just got way less cooler knowing there's indicators for them.

On the one hand, Bungie should give players more control over the UI. I don't like having markers telling me where to go (one of the things that I love about Horizon Zero Dawn is the huge amount of control that we get over our UI, from dynamic HUD elements to what, if anything, shows up on our World Map).

On the other, just play HUDless. :P
Better exploration!

Except for Markers

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 24, 2017, 22:15 (2467 days ago) @ Korny

You can "explore" how much ammo you have left. Is it 500 rounds or 10? Let's find out!

Except for Markers

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 08:32 (2467 days ago) @ stabbim

You can "explore" how much ammo you have left. Is it 500 rounds or 10? Let's find out!

Hey, we've done entire Raids HUDless. The ammo uncertainty is part of the fun!

Except for Markers

by electricpirate @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:34 (2468 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I got the impression from earlier stuff you only get the markers from NPCs, eg : the reward for this quest is a lost sector marker.

Oh wow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:48 (2468 days ago) @ electricpirate

If this is correct, I like it!

Except for Markers

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 27, 2017, 14:44 (2465 days ago) @ electricpirate

I got the impression from earlier stuff you only get the markers from NPCs, eg : the reward for this quest is a lost sector marker.

Then they aren't so lost, are they?

I tend to agree with this video. Bonus points for pointing out how Deus Ex does it right :-p

Which side does HZD fall on?

Except for Markers

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:50 (2468 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're talking about the painted marker right?

I'm not ok with having waypoints/hud markers leading right to where something is. But I DO like having something that, with exploration, I can make the decision to explore a little harder. If there was no indication whatsoever that I'm close to finding something, I'm likely to end up looking up 50% of them and find no value in looking for them.

I'm just not a fan of playing needle in a haystack. Now if Lost Sectors are as prolific as Shrines in BOTW, then yeah, I'll turn off anything leading me to a Lost Sector and I'll get lost in the exploration for it. I found 107 of the shrines in BOTW just playing the game and exploring, at that point I turned on the shrine sensor (an obnoxious item that beeps when you're close to a shrine). At 111 I just looked up the last 9 as it was becoming frustrating combing the whole of the map after having combed the whole thing a few times sans sensor.

Totally Excellent!

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, July 24, 2017, 14:12 (2468 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

IGN Nessus video

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 16:34 (2468 days ago) @ electricpirate

Makes me think of the area in the Dreadnaught where you get the special emblem for taking out the boss. You start in the Cabal ship and have to activate two consoles to open a door, which leads to a cave with a big Knight. It wasn't huge or super involved, but it was neat and fun.

IGN Nessus video

by electricpirate @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 19:29 (2467 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Makes me think of the area in the Dreadnaught where you get the special emblem for taking out the boss. You start in the Cabal ship and have to activate two consoles to open a door, which leads to a cave with a big Knight. It wasn't huge or super involved, but it was neat and fun.

Yea, I think there will be some stuff like that. (also, I think the skyburners annex patrol line is really fun).

I haven't played the beta yet, but there's apparently some special enemies near the (closed) hidden sector. By killing them, it opens a jump pad, which leads to more special enemies. Eventually the trail turns cold in the beta.

IGN Nessus video

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 24, 2017, 19:36 (2467 days ago) @ electricpirate

Yea, I think there will be some stuff like that. (also, I think the skyburners annex patrol line is really fun).

I haven't played the beta yet, but there's apparently some special enemies near the (closed) hidden sector. By killing them, it opens a jump pad, which leads to more special enemies. Eventually the trail turns cold in the beta.

Yeah Kermit and CaneCutter and I did that last night. It was neat.

Very cool!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 24, 2017, 17:25 (2468 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Treasure maps have a cost. What currency?

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 11:56 (2467 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

I'm excited

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 12:50 (2467 days ago) @ electricpirate

This is just the sort of side activities that I look forward to.

My only disappointment is that they seem to have indicated that these activities would open up only after the campaign in finished. I don't want to rush the campaign in order to have everything else open up!

Oh well. It will be fun getting there eventually.

Only one type opens up for after the campaign

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 14:03 (2467 days ago) @ Oholiab

This is just the sort of side activities that I look forward to.

My only disappointment is that they seem to have indicated that these activities would open up only after the campaign in finished. I don't want to rush the campaign in order to have everything else open up!

Oh well. It will be fun getting there eventually.

The "Area quests" the longer term quests open up after the story, but I think the adventures/Lost open up as you find them.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 19:34 (2465 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread