The last game controller (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 09:36 (2468 days ago)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1811189679/all-controller-universal-and-fully-customizable/description

BTW, I wouldn't buy this unless I knew it matched the build quality of the Xbox Elite.

Permanent underside "paddles"?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 09:55 (2468 days ago) @ Kermit

No thank you.

…also those are just big buttons.

The last game controller

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 09:56 (2468 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm very, very disappointed with the left-thumbstick's position... Love pretty much everything else, though. Thanks for sharing, Kerm!

The last game controller

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 11:37 (2468 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm very, very disappointed with the left-thumbstick's position... Love pretty much everything else, though. Thanks for sharing, Kerm!

If they get $2,000,000 backing, they'll make an Xbox variant.

That said, lack of touchpad is an automatic no sell for me, and it doesn't look like they'll consider adding one.

Since most of the compaints with the DS4 involve people wanting asymmetrical thumbsticks, why can't folks just make a DS4 with interchangeable thumbstick/D-pad and paddles? Why is that so difficult? You'd think Scuf would be all over it...

Different inputs

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 13:49 (2468 days ago) @ Korny

The d-pad is digital while the thumbsticks are analogical. Having it swappable means making the d-pad analog and adding an extra layer of input conversion between it and the console. I'm all for it, but costs would certainly factor in.

Different inputs

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 14:06 (2468 days ago) @ ZackDark

The d-pad is digital while the thumbsticks are analogical. Having it swappable means making the d-pad analog and adding an extra layer of input conversion between it and the console. I'm all for it, but costs would certainly factor in.

Sounds like something you could implement pretty easily though, just put a moveable port (dongle?) for the thumbstick, and have both parts of the board as viable inputs for the D-pad. As for price, you're already paying a premium.

Different inputs

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 14:15 (2468 days ago) @ Korny

Oh, it's certainly not impossible, but you did ask why it was so difficult. :)

It's just unnecessary.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 16:07 (2468 days ago) @ ZackDark

Just buy a controller with the thumbstick placement you like. What's to be gained with the unnecessary complexity of moveable thumbsticks?

It's just unnecessary.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 16:45 (2468 days ago) @ cheapLEY

One good positive is that you don't have to set up two different manufacture lines to cater everyone. You don't have to stock up different versions and hope your projections are good. You just produce and stock one kind and sell it to everyone.

It's just unnecessary.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 18:35 (2468 days ago) @ ZackDark

One good positive is that you don't have to set up two different manufacture lines to cater everyone. You don't have to stock up different versions and hope your projections are good. You just produce and stock one kind and sell it to everyone.

Sure. I was thinking about from a consumer's perspective, though? Why would I ever want to move the analog stick? I'll just buy a controller with the setup I want. Just seems like unneeded complexity just for the sake of it.

It's just unnecessary.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 20:47 (2468 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Assuming there are both choices with the same range of features, sure. However, there currently are no decent Elite One controllers with the PS4 layout, nor the reverse. Basically, not all is equal, so the consumer CAN'T do what you propose.

Intrigued enough to back this thing

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 10:05 (2468 days ago) @ Kermit

Only went for the cheap-o "wired" tier though. Didn't feel comfortable risking more.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 10:13 (2468 days ago) @ CyberKN

I hope the best for you, but the build quality of the prototype looks terrible and there is nothing on that site that makes me think they have the capacity to bring any quality consumer product to market at scale, let alone something with an on-board software system that is tightly integrated with custom hardware with nearly real-time requirements.

I blame the fact that I'm in a good mood

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 10:31 (2468 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Well, there is your problem!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 11:12 (2468 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Yeah, Cyber seemed to be oddly out-of-character...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 11:38 (2468 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 10:34 (2468 days ago) @ CyberKN

I would love for this to happen and be awesome. I'm skeptical, but the price point is about where I'd consider risking it (the price point also makes me leery of them actually being able to get it done).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread