Pyre (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 03, 2017, 18:56 (2467 days ago)

Just wanted to point out this game, in the hopes that it won't fly under the radar. Made by Supergiant Games, the folks that made Bastion and Transistor, Pyre is an incredibly strange game.

Pyre is basically a sort of choose your own adventure book. You travel around the world (without direct control) and talk to your party members, read a big ol' lore book that you're given at the beginning of the game with more pages being revealed as you play.

When you reach your destinations, you take part in the Rites, which is the actual gameplay. It's a three on three arcade sports game, essentially. Sort of a mix of basketball and . . .I dunno, frisbee golf or something? The goal is to slam the ball into the other team's Pyre, which starts with 100 hitpoints and reduces to zero as you score. Only one member of a team can move at a time, whether on offense or defense, and there's lots of little nuances that make the game pretty challenging and really fun.

You're party members rank up and get stat bonuses, items, and special abilities as you play and level up, so there are some RPG elements in there, too.

It's quite difficult to really describe, so here's a trailer, but long story short is that it's fun, and you should check it out. It's got a lot of style, a great soundtrack, and an amazing presentation, just like their previous two games.

I heard about it.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 04, 2017, 01:11 (2467 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I chose not to bother since the basketball game seemed dumb.

Are you able to break down what percentage of your time in the game is spent doing particular things?

I heard about it.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 04, 2017, 05:42 (2467 days ago) @ Funkmon

I've only played a few hours so far so it may change, but it seems to lean in favor of the story stuff. I'd say it's probably a 60/40 split.

In regards to the basketball stuff--sounds dumb, but it's a lot more fun than it looks. More challenging than it looks too.

Just curious

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 04, 2017, 07:26 (2467 days ago) @ Funkmon

I chose not to bother since the basketball game seemed dumb.

Are you able to break down what percentage of your time in the game is spent doing particular things?

What gave you the impression that it was bad?

Nothing did.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 04, 2017, 15:43 (2466 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread