Dolby Atmos, XBox One, Headphones and you (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 16:20 (2468 days ago)

Did you see how I just slayed the oxford comma there?

Anyways. How did this not come up on the forums. We've talked Astros, we've talked Turtle Beaches, we've worshipped at the feet of Sennheiser, and yet we haven't pointed out this one amazing thing that Microsoft has had available for the past 3 months!

Dolby Atmos For Headphones is available through Dolby Access (30 day free-trial, $15 to buy)

But what does that mean?

First lets discuss Dolby Surround and Dolby Atmos
Well, back in the day, what made Astro the best set of cans in the gaming headphones market was that they licensed and packaged in their headphone amplifier (the mixamp) Dolby Surround for Headphones. This meant that they could take a 5.1 (at the time) feed and turn it into virtualized surround sound with a pair of headphones. The science behind it is pretty cool, but I guess the easiest way to point out that you can get virtualized surround sound with headphones is that you have 2 ears, so jamming 2 speakers right next to them and simulating how sounds sound differently from different directions actually works!

So Dolby Atmos is a dolby surround codec that can handle 128 audio streams output through 64 possible positioned speakers. Each sound can have a 3D position and it will translate that to whatever position the speaker is in, so you could have a set up that doesn't just handle in front, right, left and back, but above and below! Dolby Atmos for Headphones just boils that fully 3D audio down for headphone listening.

But what does that really mean?

Any headphones you have hooked up to your XB1, through the controller, through a mixamp, WHATEVER, can have virtualized fully 3D audio

Make sure if you have Astros or TBs or some other "surround sound" headphones, that you turn off their surround sound processing (you definitely can with Astros) as you really don't want them re-processing the sound. And from my initial tests, yes the Atmos processing is better than the amp processing, also as games (like Gears Of War 4) add support, this will be the way to get that full 3D chunky audio!

This is huge because it means you DO NOT need a mixamp or some other amp to do the surround sound. It means you can focus on buying headphones that you like and just use those, plugged into your controller.

And if you still want volume, chat, and balance controls, why not check out Astro's Mixamp M80?

Cheers!

I just started playing with this yesterday.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 16:28 (2468 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Nothing to add right now. Still testing.

Dolby Atmos, XBox One, Headphones and you

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 18:17 (2468 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've been using the Windows Sonic option included in these settings. Sometimes it makes sounds more spatially separated. Not a huge difference. Chat can gain a very slight echo but it's not pervasive. XO Seven wired to controller.

Don't forget Turtle Beach XB1 Stealth 600 and 700 out Aug 31. Thoroughly compatible with XB1 wireless technology. No wires and mini amps. Pair it up like a controller and you're all set.

Any 'good' quality headset should do.

Dolby Atmos, XBox One, Headphones and you

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 20:09 (2468 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Don't forget Turtle Beach XB1 Stealth 600 and 700 out Aug 31. Thoroughly compatible with XB1 wireless technology. No wires and mini amps. Pair it up like a controller and you're all set.

That's pretty slick. I've never been a fan of Turtle Beach designs or build quality, but damn, that is slick.

What I have my eyes on are the Sennheiser HD-1 Wireless I'd like to have a single set of headphones for work, gaming, and walking around and they would fit the bill.

Also, do we think they'll patch Dolby Atmos support into D2?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 15:34 (2467 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread