Good Peoples of the Internets! Show Me Your Favorite Mug! (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 19:20 (2447 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 19:24

Now, the people who know me would think that my Apple mug is my favorite.

[image]

But it is not. My favorite mug is somewhat related though.

[image] [image]

That, my friends, is an Ambrosia Software special forum moderators only gift mug! Ambrosia Software, if you don’t know, was a pioneer in Mac shareware and a developer of some great Mac utilities such as Snapz Pro and Wiretap Studio, and a developer and publisher whole bunch of great Mac games such as Ares, the Escape Velocity series, Darwinia, pop-pop, Redline, Aquaria, Uplink, DEFCON, and Harry the Handsome Executive. Sadly, shareware as a concept has been destroyed by app stores and free to play games and Ambrosia is, as far as I know, essentially dormant. Which is quite the decline from a great Mac company that fueled my entry into gaming and storytelling. My first stories, written almost a decade ago, were a series of EV: Nova fan fiction, which I now link to without going back and cringing over them. I’ll leave that to all of you.

My mug is certainly not one of a kind, but I’d guesstimate that there’s under 100 like it. But what about you? What about your favorite mug?

Show it to us!

Tell us its tales!

I insist! :)

Destiny 2 can't get here soon enough, eh?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 19:30 (2447 days ago) @ Ragashingo

At first I was thinking, Who would want to see my face? EVEN I DON'T WANT TO SEE MY FACE! Still through... Mugs? Like... the ones you drink out of? Really!? I mean, cool. Why the 'ell not. I'll post my Fav Mug in a bit.

Good Peoples of the Internets! Show Me Your Favorite Mug!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 19:42 (2447 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Not a mug, but I guess my favorite drinking vessel I have. Keeps liquids hot or cold for many hours. A guy from Bayou Gun Runner gave it to me at last spring's Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. My wife has stolen it from me and carries it to work every day.

[image]

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 11:57 (2446 days ago) @ bluerunner

Ever drink a strawberry Yoo-Hoo out of it?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 12:30 (2446 days ago) @ stabbim

Ever drink a strawberry Yoo-Hoo out of it?

Yes, and sarsaparilla. Not grenadine though. I drink it straight from the can. Delicious.

Grenadine comes in a can?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 14:31 (2446 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Grenadine comes in a can?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 15:24 (2446 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If you like Pina Coladas
and getting caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga
Grif just has half a brain.

Wait... you want me to remember stuff from SEASON 2?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 16:55 (2446 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

It has been a while...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 17:38 (2446 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That is like 1/5th of a lifetime ago for you.

R.I.P. Favorite Mug

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 20:45 (2447 days ago) @ Ragashingo

From a bit before the launch of D1 until just a recently, it was my awesome See You Starside mug. Then one morning, I sat the mug and my bag on the kitchen counter while making my morning coffee. My bag fell over while I was putting the milk away in the fridge, and this happened
[image]
I had to take the picture to explain to my wife why, when she got home, there would be a big dent in the fridge and I would be walking with a limp.

Now my favorite is probably one of these guys,
[image]
but they'll never be as awesome as my Destiny mug, and I'm still pissed that I can't replace it.

-Disciple

Oh no!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 20:54 (2447 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 21:13 (2447 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My favorite mug is from Starbucks and has a nutcracker on it. The only reason it's my favorite is because it keeps coffee warm for a long time.

HOWEVER,

Every year for Christmas, my wife and I get each other pint glasses with something etched into them that reflect an inside joke from the previous year or a general interest we have. We have quite a few now, but my two biggest go-to glasses are my Iron Banner and Halo. (other glasses include Assassins Creed, Firefly, Batman, Robot, Gentleman Mustache, Blippi, T-Rex, Bigfoot and a few others)

[image]

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 07:18 (2446 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My favorite mug has to be this Stanley Mug that I've been using for years now. It has the most incredible lid designs to ever hit the market.

[image]

While the mug itself is pretty basic, the lid is what makes it stand out. It's a standard screw on lid but the drinking hole area actually has a 360-degree drinking range. the closing portion of the lid is based on a screw design. so you unscrew to open it up and screw it back down to close it. underneath the screw top, there is a perimeter ring of openings that not only allow you to drink from any direction, but it also keeps the lid vented so the coffee is always flowing.

If I could combine this lid with a Yeti or Hydroflask vacuum insulated body then it would literally be the best mug design ever for portability.

I've broken more mugs than I can remember...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 09:52 (2446 days ago) @ Ragashingo

...I try not to get attached any more.

I'm just responding to say I remember Ambrosia - I was pretty tied in back in the day. (I beta-tested a bunch of stuff: EV was on the list, along with stuff like Chiral, Apeiron, Swoop, Maelstrom... a bunch of other games I can't even remember. Also helped out with a couple of their productivity apps: Wiretap (recording) and Snapz, their screenshot app - I STILL use Snapz, today, on Sierra.) I was never on their forums, though, or maybe we'd have met earlier. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 10:24 (2446 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm just responding to say I remember Ambrosia - I was pretty tied in back in the day. (I beta-tested a bunch of stuff: EV was on the list, along with stuff like Chiral, Apeiron, Swoop, Maelstrom... a bunch of other games I can't even remember. Also helped out with a couple of their productivity apps: Wiretap (recording) and Snapz, their screenshot app - I STILL use Snapz, today, on Sierra.) I was never on their forums, though, or maybe we'd have met earlier. :)

I was in on at least some of those beta test. Mostly later stuff starting around Redline, Wiretap / Wiretap Studio, Aquaria, etc. Years after release I finally made it on the EV: Nova beta list when they were testing one of the “Well... looks like OS X completely broke the game, I guess we’ll rewrite it” updates. And heck, the little gameplay video playing here? That’s me! Recording either from my iMac DV or (given the fast load time) probably my iBook G4.

We’re you on the email lists? I bet we could dig up each other’s emails! :)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 14:06 (2446 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I was in on at least some of those beta test. Mostly later stuff starting around Redline, Wiretap / Wiretap Studio, Aquaria, etc. Years after release I finally made it on the EV: Nova beta list when they were testing one of the “Well... looks like OS X completely broke the game, I guess we’ll rewrite it” updates. And heck, the little gameplay video playing here? That’s me! Recording either from my iMac DV or (given the fast load time) probably my iBook G4.

We’re you on the email lists? I bet we could dig up each other’s emails! :)

I'm pretty sure I was. I'm not sure if I could find emails from the early 90s any more, though - I'd started to archive those a few years ago, and then I lost track of the archive tool. :(

Chiral, Apeiron, Maelstrom, great games.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 24, 2017, 12:26 (2446 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Man, I had forgotten some of those games. Chiral & Maelstrom were probably my favorite.

I've always wanted to remake chiral. ;)

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 13:04 (2446 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by slycrel, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 13:10

omg the feels...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 14:07 (2446 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Harry the Handsome Executive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 25, 2017, 00:55 (2445 days ago) @ dogcow

Their best besides the original Escape Velocity. Play it under system 7.5 though. The music sounds like ass when apple updated their midi instruments in later OS versions.

Where's the love for Harry the Handsome Executive?

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 12:37 (2446 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Actually, that wasn't my favorite game of theirs, but the humor hit me in the right place.

Goodness, this brings back memories. I became a gamer because of Escape Velocity. I learned the value of interest-driven communities because of their forums. In fact, it was people on that web-board freaking out over Halo that pointed me towards HBO all those years ago, so you can blame Ambrosia for my presence here.

I don't think I've ever heard of that game.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 14:30 (2446 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Actually, that wasn't my favorite game of theirs, but the humor hit me in the right place.

Goodness, this brings back memories. I became a gamer because of Escape Velocity. I learned the value of interest-driven communities because of their forums. In fact, it was people on that web-board freaking out over Halo that pointed me towards HBO all those years ago, so you can blame Ambrosia for my presence here.

Love the connections, though. :)

I don't think I've ever heard of that game.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 25, 2017, 00:58 (2445 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Then you need to play it right away.

You play as the titular character, who scoots around on his swivel chair throwing exploding pop cans or shooting staples at enemies. At first you have to do things like find the only window in the office so as not to waste away, dodging the mailroom carts and carelessly dropped thumbtacks, but the plot goes deeper and deeper as you unravel a corporate conspiracy and fight all sorts of crazy shit.

Ambrosia really needs to update their pricing though. The game is still 20 bucks 20 years later.

These arn't mugs!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 21:53 (2441 days ago) @ Ragashingo

THIS is a mug.

[image]

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to show the Ol' Xbox Duke Controller for scale, but I couldn't find them. Oh well, I think the point is made all the same. No real story other than if I drink out of this, I rarely feel a need to refill. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread