D2 LIve action trailer (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:09 (2430 days ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxElWwWVFE

Beastie boys sabotage is the song choice

Distinctly sillier this time.

D2 LIve action trailer

by Durandal, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:16 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

I am amused both by the explosions, and by the playful tone of all the live action trailers.

They really should do a TV series. There is a dearth of sci fi adventure shows out now.

D2 LIve action trailer

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:38 (2430 days ago) @ Durandal

They really should do a TV series. There is a dearth of sci fi adventure shows out now.

I actually think it could be pretty fun to do a TV series where the main characters are all players (similar to the trailer here) running around in a video game. At the very least it would be _very_ different from anything else on TV right now.

D2 LIve action trailer

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:32 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

I don't know what to think of that trailer. It was "fine"...it didn't get me excited.

The D1 live action trailer was fun, whimsical and showed the guardians kicking ass while having fun. A lone fire team doing their own thing.

This was like, why is Cayde just talking to those three...but giving the same speech he did in the DRE trailer. Were they late showing up so he summarized things?

Do it for the puppies? Come on, Ghaul is coming to our planet to destroy it, us and all we hold dear. I want to feel the grit, the darkness. Show me how horrible things are then show me the moment when the spark ignites to motivate us to get up and fight and become legend.

Don't really understand the song choice. Either it's a hint that we've been sabotaged, (perhaps by the Speaker?) or it's just a "cool action sequence song." Either way, they know we are going to dissect every detail and over analyze things.

I was intrigued by the hunters jedi push instead of the knife stab. Is that going to be a thing?

Puppies is a rational motivator.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:12 (2430 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:37 (2430 days ago) @ Harmanimus

If I've learned anything from Independence Day, it's that people love their puppies more than people.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:40 (2430 days ago) @ dogcow

Millions of innocent people just got slaughtered, but let's make sure the dog is ok.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:47 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

Millions of innocent people just got slaughtered, but let's make sure the dog is ok.

pfft... "innocent"

D2 LIve action trailer

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:07 (2430 days ago) @ ManKitten

All thoughts I had as well.

I don't think I've made a secret of my distaste for the tone of the marketing. I just hope the story holds up, because I was convinced it was going in a direction that reminded me of why I fell in love with Bingle in the first place; but we go from complex interdimensional threats to ending up with...oh hey, big guys with even bigger guns, a bunch of brute force, and improbable contraptions nullifying out near-godlike powers? I have...reservations.

~M

Good song choice

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:36 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

I feel like it goes well with the Led Zeppelin songs from the previous trailers.

It changes for each country.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 10:43 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

They blow up different things depending on the country the trailer is meant for.

https://www.youtube.com/user/destinygame/videos

Thoughts

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:22 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

They blow up different things depending on the country the trailer is meant for.

- I love that they made an effort
- I'm really disappointed by the Australian one (it's identical to the US one- not even vegemite!)
- the Russian voice actor sounds surprisingly like Fillion

Thoughts

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:54 (2430 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- I love that they made an effort
- I'm really disappointed by the Australian one (it's identical to the US one- not even vegemite!)

The Mexican version swapped the Grand Canyon's name with Sumidero Canyon, which looks nothing like it... at all (it's borderline tropical). It's as if someone showed you footage of the Smoky Mountains and called it the Rockies.

They could have at least called it Copper Canyon (Barrancas del Cobre), which looks somewhat similar in places, and is on the same side of the country as the Grand Canyon, relatively speaking.

Eh, it's a nitpick. On the bright side, they did replace "Taco Tuesday" with just "tacos", because every day is Taco Tuesday in Mexico. Aw yiss.

... That lawn gnome could have totally been a soccer ball, too...

I agree with CruelLEGACEY.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:21 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

ShutUpCayde.Bungie.Org

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:38 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

They've pushed this shtick so far that I literally can't hear Fillion's voice without rolling my eyes. My inner Firefly fanboy is dying a slow, painful death.

ShutUpCayde.Bungie.Org

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:04 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They've pushed this shtick so far that I literally can't hear Fillion's voice without rolling my eyes. My inner Firefly fanboy is dying a slow, painful death.

It's almost like they don't actually know why Mal was a good character…

ShutUpCayde.Bungie.Org

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:08 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's almost like they don't actually know why Mal was a good character…

Heck, even TTK Cayde was mostly serious. It wasn't until that free April update that he became full-blown obnoxious, and the marketing for D2 has run with that tone ever since. And from the little we've seen of Cayde in D2, he seems to be hamming it up more than he ever did in D1/TTK.

On par with H3 Believe

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:26 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

NOT.

Doesn't that depend on what you thought of Believe?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:43 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For instance, I strongly disliked it. Cool diorama. But paired with war interviews that never happened based around an event that never happened.

I enjoyed Starry Night, Deliver Hope, Landfall or most of the other except perhaps the lies that were the Halo 5 commercials much more than Believe.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:48 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For instance, I strongly disliked it. Cool diorama. But paired with war interviews that never happened based around an event that never happened.

I enjoyed Starry Night, Deliver Hope, Landfall or most of the other except perhaps the lies that were the Halo 5 commercials much more than Believe.

I'm not a fan of the Believe trailer either. The live-action trailers for Reach are still my favourite Bungie trailers.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 11:53 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well, during the marketing campaign I was absolutely loving it. I still do love it, but now it's marred by disappointment...

by Durandal, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:10 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The believe ads were based on the general marketing of Halo as a more somber, grim future. They highlighted the stakes of the conflict and were grounded in the lore of the story.
It fit the overall marketing theme and the feel that Halo 3 was the end of the series. None of this infinite sequel stuff (COD, I'm looking at you).

Destiny isn't the same, and isn't going for the same feeling. If anything it's more like Halo 2 marketing where Chief shows up to start the fight.

Note that part of the reason that Halo 4 and 5 seem so bad is the move away from the more grounded sci fi and military realism seen in the Bungie produced series. While the worst part of Bungies's games was the "Who can have the most heroic death" contest of Reach, Halo 4 discards all of humanity's strategy and tactics to put incompetent stereotypes in charge.

The armor designs followed, changing into something no different from any other future armored shooter.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:29 (2430 days ago) @ Durandal

The believe ads were based on the general marketing of Halo as a more somber, grim future. They highlighted the stakes of the conflict and were grounded in the lore of the story.
It fit the overall marketing theme and the feel that Halo 3 was the end of the series. None of this infinite sequel stuff (COD, I'm looking at you).

Destiny isn't the same, and isn't going for the same feeling. If anything it's more like Halo 2 marketing where Chief shows up to start the fight.

Note that part of the reason that Halo 4 and 5 seem so bad is the move away from the more grounded sci fi and military realism seen in the Bungie produced series. While the worst part of Bungies's games was the "Who can have the most heroic death" contest of Reach, Halo 4 discards all of humanity's strategy and tactics to put incompetent stereotypes in charge.

The armor designs followed, changing into something no different from any other future armored shooter.

Believe was so close to making sense and being great. After all, the Chief does disappear through the Ark portal and is not seen again for (at that point) who knows how long if ever. The veteran recollections would work great in that context.

Unfortunately, the heavy implication of the Believe ads was that the Master Chief died / sacrificed himself via Plasma Grenade during a big ground battle on Earth. But it did not fit within the game, period. Gameplay wise, that's not how the Chief would ever die with any of us playing. Saving the entire universe? Sure! Going through a portal and not coming back giving those veterans the impression that he died? That works. But right in front of them on a hill of no galaxy-wide consequence when Halo 2 left us the Halo Array primed to fire?

No. No. No.

And then, of course, Halo 4 just complete obliterated the Believe ads with the Chief coming back less than a decade later. :/

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:04 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Unfortunately, the heavy implication of the Believe ads was that the Master Chief died / sacrificed himself via Plasma Grenade during a big ground battle on Earth.

Funny you mention that, because it was almost how H4 ended. :p

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:37 (2430 days ago) @ Durandal

I agree withh a lot of this, from a tonal persoective. I do have two points though:

I disagree with the notion that Reach was a heroic death competition and more an exploration of the interpersonal conflicts and the impersonal nature of war. Only 2 deaths go the heroic sacrifice route of 5. And one of those was an assured inevitability while the other was an assumed inevitability.

The marketing shift based on associated game is interesting. Halo tended to have somewhat grounded military stuff under Bungie for its live action with the obvious science fiction. We Are ODST is possibly my favorite trailer ever. Halo 4/5 becoming a space opera, a meaningless LA trailer, and the forced misdirects were disappointing. But bringing up CoD is interesting as it is all about multiplayer for their LA trailers. Which fits the overall marketing mindset of the games as MP first with campaigns as an aside. In this regard the live action trqilers for Destiny are all very fitting of the general player base and the overall perspective of their use as selling tools that illustrate a reflection of the major player base. Perhaps that is just an Activision thing.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:12 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It takes place in the future, duh! Of course it didn't happen...yet.

The natural curve of all of the videos so far have been:

Cayde at a bar pontificating his awesomeness: 10 parts silly - 0 parts dramatic
Cayde and Zavala talking to guardians: 6 parts silly - 4 parts dramatic
Red Legion attacking the tower: 2 parts silly - 8 parts dramatic
character profiles: Cayde silly - everyone else dramatic

Then boom, whiplash back to this live action trailer: 30 parts silly - -20 parts dramatic.

They've been taking us down a road for the past month with really awesome videos that were gradually creating a theme. Then this ad...

And it's not a bad ad...I just don't get it in relation to everything else they've put out.

This ad isn't for us. We aren't "new here"

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:39 (2430 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:43 (2430 days ago) @ Harmanimus

So why not draw upon this detailed and mysterious world you have created to draw in new people? What does it say about how they feel about a potential audience if… puppies?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:51 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So why not draw upon this detailed and mysterious world you have created to draw in new people? What does it say about how they feel about a potential audience if… puppies?

Because no matter how cool and awesome a trailer is in terms of gameplay, people don't talk about that. They talk about that funny commercial they just saw. You can't related to someone else a commercial about detailed and mysterious worlds nearly as well as you can tell them a funny commercial about Destiny 2. And all marketing needs to do is get you talking about Destiny 2.

I understand completely what this commercial is about. It frankly, I think it's going to do it's job just great.

"Funny"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:51 (2430 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Because no matter how cool and awesome a trailer is in terms of gameplay, people don't talk about that. They talk about that funny commercial they just saw.

"Funny".

For people who have a sense of humor?

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:54 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It's almost like humor is subjective!

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:55 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I had a friend (who doesn't play Destiny, but knows I do) tell me he liked this new Destiny 2 commercial he saw, because the dialogue was amusing.

It was that Gamestop ad!

You know, the unbelievably, almost surreally terrible one posted a bit ago?

Yeah.

"Funny"

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:56 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because no matter how cool and awesome a trailer is in terms of gameplay, people don't talk about that. They talk about that funny commercial they just saw.

"Funny".

Apparently you don't like funny in your oh so serious game trailers. I can understand you didn't like the vibe of the trailer. But you're also a very very very small part of the player base. This is about getting the word out about Destiny 2. Humor is a great way to do that.

"Funny"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:03 (2430 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

"Funny".

Apparently you don't like funny in your oh so serious game trailers. I can understand you didn't like the vibe of the trailer. But you're also a very very very small part of the player base. This is about getting the word out about Destiny 2. Humor is a great way to do that.

I get it. And I'm not against the usage of humor at all. There's just a way to do it I think. I've always thought it's better to have the humor come naturally from the character and situation, and not from literal jokes. We've seen zero puppies in the Destiny universe.

I've posted before about the story where Jamie blew off a marketing firm who made a trailer for the original Halo because it was heavy metal and explosions cut quickly. The reason? "That's not our game…"

This doesn't seem like Destiny.

"Funny"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:07 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We've seen zero puppies in the Destiny universe.

Heh, that's the point. THEY BLEW UP ALL OF THEM!

(We have seen fully grown wolves, so puppies existing in-universe is pretty logical)

"Funny"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:08 (2430 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heh, that's the point. THEY BLEW UP ALL OF THEM!

(We have seen fully grown wolves, so puppies existing in-universe is pretty logical)

I was hoping we'd see an exploding puppy in that trailer. That would have been funny.

"Funny"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:11 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was hoping we'd see an exploding puppy in that trailer. That would have been funny.

They led up to that expectation and subverted it. It was objectively funnier than your idea.

"Funny"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:26 (2430 days ago) @ ZackDark

They led up to that expectation and subverted it. It was objectively funnier than your idea.

Nah, you do a double fakeout by building up to it, subverting it, then at the last minute delivering :-p

"Funny"

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:42 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

"Funny"

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:12 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

I've posted before about the story where Jamie blew off a marketing firm who made a trailer for the original Halo because it was heavy metal and explosions cut quickly. The reason? "That's not our game…"

You mean this doesn't seem like the game where having dance parties in front of world destroying creatures and doing stunts on vehicles in the middle of warzones is canon?

I liked the GameStop ad better, to be honest.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 14:08 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

This was just about as dumb as that one was.

Edit: Meant to reply to the original post, not specifically to you bluerunner. My point still stands, though--this commercial sucks.

"Funny"

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:18 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Funny".

Which funny because I can think of several instances where this feels exactly like Destiny. This is exactly how I expect Cayde to do things and I'm perfectly okay with that. And how the fireteam responds reminds me of playing with DBO people. Heck, when the titan goes all Leroy Jenkins because of puppies it reminds me of when a bunch of us were doing the WotM raid and we shot the guys head to start the fight. We didn't even know that would start the encounter and we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off.

I get it. And I'm not against the usage of humor at all. There's just a way to do it I think. I've always thought it's better to have the humor come naturally from the character and situation, and not from literal jokes. We've seen zero puppies in the Destiny universe.

Cayde's entire character is someone who makes jokes. Do you mean the fireteam? Because to me the Titan Leroy Jenkens was very much situational humor. So was the part where the hunter was firing over her head while running past the gunfire. Those are just the two off the top of my head.

"Funny"

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:39 (2430 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[all quotes paraphrased as I'm going from memory]

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
KABOOM BADASSERY HAPPENS
"I think we need some music, some classical"
BADASS MUSIC MONTAGE BEGINS

"Anyone speak space turtle?"
"I can say hello in any language."
KABOOM BADASSERY HAPPENS
"He can say goodbye too"

"Venus?"
"VEEENNUUUUSSS!!"
SPEEDY SPARROW STUFF HAPPENS

"I wonder what's down there."
"One way to find out."
BADASS LEAP OF FAITH
"I hate it when she does that."

These are moments that are funny, memorable, properly represents the game, and highlights the fun of being a guardian.

My memory of this commercial THAT I JUST WATCHED is:
"Save the puuupppiieess!!"

...that is all.

Halo 2 "Betcha can't stick it" was great use of humour

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:47 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Funny".

^ Precisely.

Funny would be fine, if it matched the sort of humour that was in the game. This trailer doesn't do that.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:53 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are talking about Activision marketing. The last few Call of Duty games have had interesting settings with some likeable characters and very enjoyable action-movie campaigns, but instead they dress up celebrities like MP characters and are one D.va short of everything being Doritos and Mt Dew. My guess is that Bungie only has cursory input on these things.

exactly... which makes it even worse.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:14 (2430 days ago) @ Harmanimus

3 potential realities:

A) somebody watches that trailer and likes it, so they buy Destiny 2 only to find that the tone of the game doesn't match the tone of the trailer at all, and they feel burned by false advertising.

B) somebody watches the trailer and doesn't like it, so they decide not to buy Destiny 2, not realizing that the game has a very different tone than the trailer.

C) the trailer actually does match the tone of the game, in which case my opinion of the trailer goes up, but my opinion of the game falls drastically ;p

Not quite comprehensive

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:20 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What about D) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, only to find that the tone of the game is different but something they also like, whether or not they were led to expect it,

Or E) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, and finds that the tone of the game is in line with it, because they play it with friends who like to goof off and treat the serious story as something attached to the fun action shooter game they're playing?

Shrug.

Not quite comprehensive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:28 (2430 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Shrug.

Yeah. As long as the raid is good, none of this matters.

Not quite comprehensive

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:41 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Shrug.

Yeah. As long as the raid is good, none of this matters.

Oh come on, don't start being logical...I am SOO bored right now.

Seriously...really bored.

+1 I'd written up almost this exact response

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:29 (2430 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I really don't think many people are going to buy it based off the humorous tone and then be upset that the game's tone doesn't match. In fact, as evidenced by most best selling FPS, most people don't buy FPS games for tone/story, they buy them for gameplay.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:05 (2430 days ago) @ Xenos

I really don't think many people are going to buy it based off the humorous tone and then be upset that the game's tone doesn't match. In fact, as evidenced by most best selling FPS, most people don't buy FPS games for tone/story, they buy them for gameplay.

I have no idea what the percentages are, but personally speaking, I don't buy any game based on marketing because videogame marketing is often so flagrantly dishonest that it is virtually useless.

I mean, I expect an ad to try and make the product look good. That's obvious. But effective marketing does need to be somewhat honest about the nature of the product being sold. People like to know what they're getting for their money. You don't promote a horror movie by releasing trailers that make it look like a romance.

I was talking to a friend at Ubisoft about this very issue back when SplinterCell Blacklist came out. The trailers made it look like an explosion-filled high octane action game, when the game itself was very much NOT that. I said to him "this is just going to do a disservice to the game and to anyone who buys it based on this trailer".

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:15 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have no idea what the percentages are, but personally speaking, I don't buy any game based on marketing because videogame marketing is often so flagrantly dishonest that it is virtually useless.

I mean, I expect an ad to try and make the product look good. That's obvious. But effective marketing does need to be somewhat honest about the nature of the product being sold. People like to know what they're getting for their money. You don't promote a horror movie by releasing trailers that make it look like a romance.

I was talking to a friend at Ubisoft about this very issue back when SplinterCell Blacklist came out. The trailers made it look like an explosion-filled high octane action game, when the game itself was very much NOT that. I said to him "this is just going to do a disservice to the game and to anyone who buys it based on this trailer".

Then I would say this trailer did a fine job since Destiny is a great action game. Like I said, gameplay is what most people buy an fps off of, not story.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:35 (2430 days ago) @ Xenos

Then I would say this trailer did a fine job since Destiny is a great action game. Like I said, gameplay is what most people buy an fps off of, not story.

From that angle, I think you're absolutely right. I just don't think it's safe or right to make assumptions like "people don't care about the story or tone, so we don't need to worry about portraying it accurately". Luke S and Mark N have specifically talked about how much effort Bungie has put into creating a compelling story that players will care about this time around. To have a trailer come along and say "nah, that doesn't really matter" is disappointing to me.

The other thing I always stress whenever these discussions about trailers come up is that these decisions matter because companies put so much time, thought, and money into marketing that you can learn a lot about their priorities from how they choose to market their game. This is something Joe Staten talked about a fair bit on one of the old Bungie Podcasts, regarding the ODST reveal trailer. So when I look at how Destiny 2 is being marketed (the trailers, specifically) I see some severe disconnects. I suspect (but can't prove) that we're seeing some marketing that was primarily handled by Activision (the reveal trailer and the Live Action trailer), and some that had more direct involvement from Bungie (the more traditional space-opera in-engine trailers).

If I'm right about that, then there's a fascinating "inside baseball" element to this whole thing. We can see what Bungie is excited about through their trailers, and then we can see what Activision is excited about/thinks gamers will like through their trailers.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:32 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

From that angle, I think you're absolutely right. I just don't think it's safe or right to make assumptions like "people don't care about the story or tone, so we don't need to worry about portraying it accurately". Luke S and Mark N have specifically talked about how much effort Bungie has put into creating a compelling story that players will care about this time around. To have a trailer come along and say "nah, that doesn't really matter" is disappointing to me.

I'm not making those assumptions. I'm saying that there is a large LARGE percentage of gamers out there that don't BUY an FPS game primarily for it's story or tone. This is not based on my opinion or anecdotal evidence. Go look at the list of the best selling FPS games of all time. None of the games typically associated with having awesome stories are on the top 5. Even Halo, while Bungie.org is a great example of people who love the story, is not generally associated with its story, but with its multiplayer. The real point I'm trying to make is that Activision SHOULD market their game to those people as well as us who happen to love the world and story behind Destiny. They want a great and fun action FPS, guess what? Destiny 2 can fill that want!

The other thing I always stress whenever these discussions about trailers come up is that these decisions matter because companies put so much time, thought, and money into marketing that you can learn a lot about their priorities from how they choose to market their game. This is something Joe Staten talked about a fair bit on one of the old Bungie Podcasts, regarding the ODST reveal trailer. So when I look at how Destiny 2 is being marketed (the trailers, specifically) I see some severe disconnects. I suspect (but can't prove) that we're seeing some marketing that was primarily handled by Activision (the reveal trailer and the Live Action trailer), and some that had more direct involvement from Bungie (the more traditional space-opera in-engine trailers).

How is that a problem though? Bungie markets to one set of gamers, while Activision markets to another. How does that at all hurt either group's enjoyment of the final product. I'm just not seeing the downside apart from a small percentage of the fanbase not liking TWO out of like 10 trailers and videos released for the game.

The best part about this, is that you get overlap, just look around the forum. I am one of them. I LOVE the trailers Bungie puts out, it sets a tone and a setting that gets me stoked to spend time in that world (don't even get me started about the Zavala trailer). But you know the thing they tend to not cover really well? How FUN Destiny is to play, ESPECIALLY with friends. And you know what does that? The live action/most likely Activision produced trailers.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:41 (2430 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm not making those assumptions. I'm saying that there is a large LARGE percentage of gamers out there that don't BUY an FPS game primarily for it's story or tone. This is not based on my opinion or anecdotal evidence. Go look at the list of the best selling FPS games of all time. None of the games typically associated with having awesome stories are on the top 5. Even Halo, while Bungie.org is a great example of people who love the story, is not generally associated with its story, but with its multiplayer. The real point I'm trying to make is that Activision SHOULD market their game to those people as well as us who happen to love the world and story behind Destiny. They want a great and fun action FPS, guess what? Destiny 2 can fill that want!

Statistically, movie trailers that spoil the entire plot are the most effective at getting people to go buy tickets to a film. Does that mean every trailer should basically tell you the entire story?

No? There are other ways to do cool trailers? Oh.

Keyword there is 'every'

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:42 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:46 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Statistically, movie trailers that spoil the entire plot are the most effective at getting people to go buy tickets to a film. Does that mean every trailer should basically tell you the entire story?

Exactly, there is more than one way. And Bungie and Activision are using their trailers to make two different types of trailers to attract as large an audience as possible. AND without spoiling the story.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:52 (2430 days ago) @ Xenos

Exactly, there is more than one way. And Bungie and Activision are using their trailers to make two different types of trailers to attract as large an audience as possible. AND without spoiling the story.

My point is, you don't have to make a shitty trailer to appeal to a huge audience, as proven time and time again by Bungie before Destiny.

And they fire the one guy who spoke up about the trailers being shitty.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 18:01 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My point is, you don't have to make a shitty trailer to appeal to a huge audience, as proven time and time again by Bungie before Destiny.

And they fire the one guy who spoke up about the trailers being shitty.

And my argument is "shitty" is subjective as proved by this conversation and the Internet.

Not quite comprehensive

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:15 (2430 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

What about D) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, only to find that the tone of the game is different but something they also like, whether or not they were led to expect it,

Or E) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, and finds that the tone of the game is in line with it, because they play it with friends who like to goof off and treat the serious story as something attached to the fun action shooter game they're playing?

Shrug.

I see your point, but I suspect you are missing mine. Working from the presupposition that Destiny 2 is roughly in line with what Destiny 1 through Rise of Iron has been like in terms of tone, then this trailer is false advertising. Plain and simple. They are portraying the game as something that it isn't. Both of your suggested possibilities are plausible, but could only be considered a lucky break from Bungie's point of view.

Lets say you go into a bookstore and ask the staff to recommend a great political thriller. They pull out a book and say "this is exactly what you're looking for!" so you buy it. But when you read it, you discover it's actually magic realism. You might really like the book anyway, but that doesn't mean the staff at the bookstore did a good job.

Not sure what game you've been playing...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:25 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:41 (2430 days ago) @ kidtsunami

NOT the game where my guardian screams "PUPPIES" before charging into battle.

Well, don't join my fireteam if you want to keep it that way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:46 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Because whenever I'm playing with my Titan, I'll yell "PUPPIES" every time I pop a Super now.

Well, don't join my fireteam if you want to keep it that way

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:48 (2430 days ago) @ ZackDark

Because whenever I'm playing with my Titan, I'll yell "PUPPIES" every time I pop a Super now.

If YOU do that, I'm all for it :)

If my GUARDIAN does that... well I might actually be able to get behind that too, but it would certainly be a very different game at that point lol

I sure as hell never yelled "Venus Baby!"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:49 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But that doesn't mean there's a dissonance between that trailer and how I play with my friends.

I sure as hell never yelled "Venus Baby!"

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:52 (2430 days ago) @ kidtsunami

But that doesn't mean there's a dissonance between that trailer and how I play with my friends.

Now that trailer, I actually liked specifically because it felt like banter between friends playing together. It felt true to the experience of playing Destiny. Does this new trailer hit you the same way? It certainly feels different to me. It feels more like an attempt at creating a little scene out of The Simpsons or something like that.

With me and my group of friends, yes

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:55 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

With me and my group of friends, yes

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:59 (2430 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Interesting... so the part that is specifically clashing for me is the way this trailer is taking 2 different elements; the official story of Destiny 2, and the "breaking the 4th wall" fun with friends side of the game, and mashing them together by having Cayde become part of those interactions and by having the guardians act silly but with the real emotional investment of characters living in that world. But that mashup works for you? What if the game itself actually did this too?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:49 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're right. Guardians never do silly things before charging into battle in this game.

[image]

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:55 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

You're right. Guardians never do silly things before charging into battle in this game.

[image]

Lol... this is making me sound super anal, but it's not like our guardians are doing that in cutscenes :)

There's a lot of "breaking the 4th wall" in Destiny already, to be sure. And I'm all for that. It's fun and silly and gives us ways to laugh as we replay activities together. But am I crazy for wanting that side of things left out of "The Story Of Destiny"?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:06 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There's a lot of "breaking the 4th wall" in Destiny already, to be sure. And I'm all for that. It's fun and silly and gives us ways to laugh as we replay activities together. But am I crazy for wanting that side of things left out of "The Story Of Destiny"?

It is literally part of the story.

You're mad about all this because it isn't matching the picture you have in your head. It is however matching what the game actually is. The goofy dances aren't "breaking the 4th wall". They're part of the universe. Guardians are goofy zombies that dance and wear weird colored armor while killing aliens. At the same time they're tragic characters that are trying to figure out who they really are while watching the world be destroyed around them. You're only focusing on the later because that's all you want, but the silly side of the game is just as big part of the Destiny universe.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:10 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

If Gaul doesn't call our ghost a 'dead person' then Des2ny is not canon.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:20 (2430 days ago) @ bluerunner

You're mad about all this because it isn't matching the picture you have in your head. It is however matching what the game actually is. The goofy dances aren't "breaking the 4th wall". They're part of the universe. Guardians are goofy zombies that dance and wear weird colored armor while killing aliens. At the same time they're tragic characters that are trying to figure out who they really are while watching the world be destroyed around them. You're only focusing on the later because that's all you want, but the silly side of the game is just as big part of the Destiny universe.

A fair point, although I would counter by saying that "in the grimoire" =/= "in the game".

/me glares.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:28 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Ooooo this cutscene is so serious, it's spoooooky

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 01, 2017, 11:35 (2429 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Lol... this is making me sound super anal, but it's not like our guardians are doing that in cutscenes :)

[image]

Bwahahahahahahahaha

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 01, 2017, 12:32 (2429 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I stopped working, fired up destiny, just to take that shot

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 01, 2017, 13:28 (2429 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:25 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:31

The night before, as I raided with several DBOers, I made a point to yell the same silly phrase each time I killed an Oracle as we battles the Oracles then Templar in the Vault of Glass. It started out as something super silly. One of the others corrected be to something a bit more classy, and I used that short phrase over and over again. And it came in handy later as we were banging our heads against the Templar.

“Why is this so hard?” Someone asked.

“Because we always stood across the way with Icebreakers before” someone answered.

We failed over and over again, but then I shifted positions and focused on killing left side Oracles and the first one I killed I said my silly phrase and the entire group laughed. I don’t even remember what the phrase was now, something short like “hoorah” but with a bit more silliness and less military-ness. It was just a you had to be there in the moment type thing but it was fun to do and it helped keep the others similing and laughing and enjouying the Raid.

I’m one of the most dedicated around here to lore and tone, I got 31+ articles and 20,000 page views from them to prove it. But I’d also scream PUPPIES while charging into battle if it felt right. Like it did last night.

You seriously gotta lighten up man. Allow for a mix of serious and playful. We can have Sargent Johnson saying “Bip Bap Bam!” In commercials and still have ODST be one of the best and darkest entires in the Halo series. Just like Cayde-6 can hog more than his fair share of advertising time but Destiny 2 still be a game with a serious story to tell.

And this whole thing about false advertising? That’s pure crap and you know it.

[image]

Ah, the phrase was Huzzah! But said mostly in that way you’d say it if you were using it as a slowly repeating cheer if you were part of the crew of the HMS Surprise in the Master and Commander movie.

Not quite comprehensive

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:27 (2430 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Shrug.

I see your point, but I suspect you are missing mine. Working from the presupposition that Destiny 2 is roughly in line with what Destiny 1 through Rise of Iron has been like in terms of tone, then this trailer is false advertising. Plain and simple. They are portraying the game as something that it isn't. Both of your suggested possibilities are plausible, but could only be considered a lucky break from Bungie's point of view.

Lets say you go into a bookstore and ask the staff to recommend a great political thriller. They pull out a book and say "this is exactly what you're looking for!" so you buy it. But when you read it, you discover it's actually magic realism. You might really like the book anyway, but that doesn't mean the staff at the bookstore did a good job.

Whoa whoa whoa. I really meant it when I said “I agree with CruelLEGACEY” earlier. And, I appreciate being wary about advertising, (Hunt the Truth, Believe anyone?) but you yourself are now straying into that realm of dishonesty! Let’s work backwards, shall we? (This won’t take long, I promise!)

Did this trailer have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
So we’re good there.

Did this trailer have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Did Destiny 1 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
And we’re good here as well.

Based on your book store analogy, telling someone that Destiny 2 will feature epic shootouts in epic places and an overly silly robot man would be the truth, not false advertising! There is no false advertising in this trailer. Certainly not the the extent of asking for a political thriller and getting magic realism.

You’re perfectly fine to not like the way a lot of Destiny 2’s advertising has focused on the silliness of Cayde-6, I’m right there with you, but don’t buy so much into your own argument that you lose perspective.

Not quite comprehensive

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:40 (2430 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Shrug.

Whoa whoa whoa. I really meant it when I said “I agree with CruelLEGACEY” earlier. And, I appreciate being wary about advertising, (Hunt the Truth, Believe anyone?) but you yourself are now straying into that realm of dishonesty! Let’s work backwards, shall we? (This won’t take long, I promise!)

Did this trailer have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
So we’re good there.

Did this trailer have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Did Destiny 1 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
And we’re good here as well.

Based on your book store analogy, telling someone that Destiny 2 will feature epic shootouts in epic places and an overly silly robot man would be the truth, not false advertising! There is no false advertising in this trailer. Certainly not the the extent of asking for a political thriller and getting magic realism.

You’re perfectly fine to not like the way a lot of Destiny 2’s advertising has focused on the silliness of Cayde-6, I’m right there with you, but don’t buy so much into your own argument that you lose perspective.

This trailer goes beyond "Cayde acting goofy". To suggest otherwise is not really being honest about what this trailer portrays :)

There is a difference between having a character that cracks 1-liners, as we see in-game, vs the "Saturday morning cartoon" full-blown irreverent comedy that we see in this trailer.

On par with H3 Believe

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 12:47 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

NOT.

In the sense that the Believe ads sucked, were pretty lazy (the awesome physical diorama aside) and were coated with the sappiest of melodrama? Yeah, this ad isn't anywhere near that.

At least this ad knows that its dialogue is terrible for the sake of fun.
I was eagerly awaiting the continuation of the VENUS BABY fireteam (though if it's the same people, they've changed classes) adventures, and this didn't disappoint.

I'd love to have a serious live-action trailer, but that's not what I was waiting for (we all expected Zeppelin, didn't we?)...

I mean, the terrible "Believe" ads did have Landfall to add some awesomeness into the mix...

On par with H3 Believe

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 31, 2017, 13:56 (2430 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The main Believe ad, the diorama set to Chopin's Prelude in D flat major, was great. The rest of that ad campaign, meh.

I'll agree, this ad doesn't live up to the diorama ad, nor is it a "VENUS BABY". But I hope they keep doing these with this fireteam.

Trailer with "My heart will go on"

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 14:14 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

Why has no one cut it with "Look What You Made Me Do"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:24 (2430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

by Old Fire Thief @, Silverton, OR, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:49 (2430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

This is seriously better.

by FaerieFire, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:06 (2430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Yes. There needs to be more of this.

L.O.L - WOW!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:48 (2430 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:52

It's a whole different trailer! WOW! Maybe what I find missing in the original trailer was heart.

Edit: OR! I'm just a sucker for Celine Dion. Taylor who? :P

Guardians fight Elite Honor Guards in D2?

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 15:44 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

*Sigh*... Just. Noise and Flash.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:54 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

Before I get to my bit, I agree with Harmanimus. This ad isn't for us. We aren't "new here", and Puppies [are] a rational motivator. And I can get why Cade is increasingly getting on some of we DBOers nerves. I really hope we get some treasure map to find Dr. Maya Sundaresh, and get to see Cades attitude change from the quick-mouthed clown, to - love. A human seriousness behind the metal man, because of a long lost duty. Maybe even explain why he is such a clown now.

Yet we're talking about this live action Destiny 2 ad here. It's well produced and all, have nothing bad to say about that, but it just. Noise and Flash. At least the other "Activision" branded trailers had an ounce of being entertaining. This? Ugh. I even watched it again and still, it's just nothing.

Hey Bungie! I still want to play this game advertised below three/four years later. I hope in 6 days time we get to!

On a second watching what actually bothers me the most...

by FaerieFire, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 17:25 (2430 days ago) @ electricpirate

Is how far away the dog things are when the Warlock is firing his shotgun. That is either inexcusably poor tactical decision making, or it bodes for unpleasantness in crucible...

Well look at that! FRESH MEAT! ...er uh... Welcome to DBO!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 20:15 (2430 days ago) @ FaerieFire

Word of advice. Yes Funkmon is contagious. Yes Cody is always like that. ...and some other third thing. I forgot.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 20:30 (2430 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Word of advice. Yes Funkmon is contagious. Yes Cody is always like that. ...and some other third thing. I forgot.

The third thing is THAB. It's not a typo.

+1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, September 01, 2017, 16:14 (2429 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

TWAB*

by Avateur @, Friday, September 01, 2017, 16:21 (2429 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

#codywaswrong

by FaerieFire, Friday, September 01, 2017, 05:06 (2429 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Thank you for the welcome. Can't deny I'm new to the forum but it's still flattering to be thought of as "fresh". :)

Kong: Skull Island

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 02, 2017, 06:46 (2428 days ago) @ electricpirate

FYI. It was directed by the same guy who did this.

A film which is widely known for its passable direction and horrendous editing.

And this is who we are trusting with Metal Gear Solid?! It's like Hollywood is trying to make video game movies fail.

I didn't know it was a comedy.

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, September 02, 2017, 08:54 (2428 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Overuse of Sabotage is going to ruin it for me.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, September 04, 2017, 00:11 (2426 days ago) @ electricpirate

Otherwise it was fun. I stopped thinking of the live action trailers as a thing about the game, and more a fun thing Bungie wanted to do.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread