PSA: There's a ~4.75GB update today. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:33 (2417 days ago)

Which did not auto-download on my PS4, of course. Seriously, someone from Bungie please call the HZD team and ask them how they make background downloads work. Just do it. PLEASE.

Wait... what?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:38 (2417 days ago) @ Kahzgul

They've never been so disparate on the two platforms.

It was 43 mb on Xbox. You're saying it's 100x bigger on the PS4?

Wait... what?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:30 (2417 days ago) @ Claude Errera

They've never been so disparate on the two platforms.

It was 43 mb on Xbox. You're saying it's 100x bigger on the PS4?

My update was 48MB on PS4.

Mine was 4.75 GB

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:05 (2417 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

This is super-weird.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:23 (2417 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Why are there two sizes? I could understand it if one of you played less than the other, and missed some launch-day update or something... but both of you have been playing like crazy.

Ah, well. Someone will explain it at some point. :)

Potential explanation...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 16:38 (2417 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Why are there two sizes? I could understand it if one of you played less than the other, and missed some launch-day update or something... but both of you have been playing like crazy.

...suggested by nico. Two people (Kahzgul and CruelLEGACEY) mentioned the larger version - is it possible that those two people bought the base version of the game, and the folks who have the 40-50mb download bought a deluxe version?

If so, it's possible that the larger version includes geometry/art that the deluxe versions already have.

Potential explanation...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 16:55 (2417 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's not it. I bought the base and got the small download.

Hrm.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 16:57 (2417 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I bought the digital deluxe version

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 16:59 (2417 days ago) @ Claude Errera

...suggested by nico. Two people (Kahzgul and CruelLEGACEY) mentioned the larger version - is it possible that those two people bought the base version of the game, and the folks who have the 40-50mb download bought a deluxe version?

If so, it's possible that the larger version includes geometry/art that the deluxe versions already have.

Good guess, but I got the Deluxe, and Cody didn't. Unless that actually is the distinction, but in the opposite direction? Could the deluxe edition contain content that this patch updates/replaces?

Digital Deluxe here (PS4) - Hotfix v1.0.1.2 was 50.21MB

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 20:55 (2417 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

I too bought the digital deluxe version, DL was 4.75 gigs

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:17 (2416 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

On both consoles.

Potential explanation...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 17:28 (2417 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I just got home and have to download a 4.795 GB patch. I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition. I dunno. I'm just glad I have fiber now and it's estimated to take 9 minutes.

This is my experience as well. :/

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:20 (2417 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

This has happened before. It will happen again

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 18:38 (2417 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If I remember the description of the problem correctly, Occasionally the console won't download or apply the patch to local files for one reason or another. The system will declare the local file corrupt and re download the whole thing whether you actually need it or not. This happens to somebody almost every single time they have some sort of patch though it's more common with big patches or dlc.

This guy^ right here gets it, and isnt even on PS4 me thinks

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 21:30 (2417 days ago) @ CougRon
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 22:25

Tips for PS4:

• Do not pause Destiny or Destiny 2 downloads and updates
  • When it comes to Destiny and Destiny 2, NO LONGER should you go into settings and manually 'check your internet connection' to try to speed up your download or move up in the queue.
  • Before Destiny or Destiny 2 updates or downloads begin, triple check that you have enough disk space for the entire volume of the game title (including Downloadable Content, updates, and Expansions)
  • Utilize a wired connection, etc. etc.

Follow this chain of links for past reference to important help articles, weekly update notes, and Bungie DOC suggestions:
'Why is my small update download so large?'

(Note: I did Destiny 2 preload and during preload or was it Day 1 patch, I had 2 simultaneous downloads/updates/patches. A larger file contained the larger bulk of the content and a smaller file around 5GB or so, contained part of the content (could have been 4.75GB))

But that's not all...!

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 23:55 (2417 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Most of the time with patches I have this problem. I don't re-jigger my connection, I don't do anything to try and speed it up or move things along. Long ago I used to pause and resume the updates (i.e. when I had multiple game updates at once), but I stopped because I heard that could cause issues. Probably 2 years ago I stopped doing that.

Today I started up my ps4 (pro, with plenty of HDD space) and destiny 2 was the last app that I had been using. It re-started to a screen that was verifying the update or somesuch. It was already > 50%. It got to 63% and then declared it needed to download 4.75 gigs. I was disappointed because I had gotten off work early today and was excited to play some more. I ended up waiting almost 45 minutes for the update.

If it's a connection thing there's not much I can do about that -- I don't have the bottom tier of internet from comcast and I don't seem to have noticeable issues with connections anywhere but destiny updates.

I am also a programmer and would like to think I have a general idea of how these things work and what I might avoid to cause problems.

So as much as I'm all about saying "don't be dumb and mess it up" there is, at least in my case, clearly something else going on here.

But that's not all...!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 00:04 (2414 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 00:17

Most of the time with patches I have this problem. I don't re-jigger my connection, I don't do anything to try and speed it up or move things along. Long ago I used to pause and resume the updates (i.e. when I had multiple game updates at once), but I stopped because I heard that could cause issues. Probably 2 years ago I stopped doing that.

Today I started up my ps4 (pro, with plenty of HDD space) and destiny 2 was the last app that I had been using. It re-started to a screen that was verifying the update or somesuch. It was already > 50%. It got to 63% and then declared it needed to download 4.75 gigs. I was disappointed because I had gotten off work early today and was excited to play some more. I ended up waiting almost 45 minutes for the update.

If it's a connection thing there's not much I can do about that -- I don't have the bottom tier of internet from comcast and I don't seem to have noticeable issues with connections anywhere but destiny updates.

I am also a programmer and would like to think I have a general idea of how these things work and what I might avoid to cause problems.

So as much as I'm all about saying "don't be dumb and mess it up" there is, at least in my case, clearly something else going on here.

I hear ya buddy (and I mean that sincerely as a friend and not as a patronizing, pat-on-the-head, brush off response)

If it restarted to the download that was already at 50% did the machine get shut off prior while beginning the download and it was picking up where it left off? I would guess that could qualify as 'interrupting the download' and make you re-download the title. Maybe downloads can start prior to log in or before fully starting up and sending you to the 'home page'?
(I don't use sleep/rest/suspended mode. I close all applications and games also always fully power off and keep background/automatic downloads/updates turned off unless there is a rare occasion where a big download is scheduled during the work day or I have an extended time away)

Were you downloading very shortly after the servers went back up? I wonder if the early birds ended up with corrupted downloads. Here is an interesting unsubstantiated rumor: Sony screwed up the Licenses for some and those effected had to take the larger download?

When it comes to Sony, using a programming mind or even common sense will not always work. I was reading an interesting article recently about why their downloads are so slow. It doesn't all make technical sense to me, maybe you can better make heads or tails of it. Sony's server structure and download set up and process sounds kind of crazy
https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-08-19-slow-ps4-downloads/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/

I hate how just about every Sony system update patch notes just say in vanilla terms very generically "This system software update improves system performance."

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread