Odds & Ends. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 20:59 (2417 days ago)

Just a few random thoughts.

-Grinding really seems to be gone, as far as power level is concerned. The clan rewards really help there. I logged on and immediately got three Powerful Engrams from clan stuff and jumped from 270 to 273. Cody, Korny, and I did the Nightfall, and then Korny and I did the Cayde's stash stuff, and I was at 277 when I logged off. It seems like not being in a clan would be a real detriment for leveling.

-It's probably way too early to tell, but I'm a little disappointed in the vanity items so far. So far I've only seen a few different ship and Sparrow designs, and none of them are very good. I'm hoping there's a lot more and they just aren't in rotation yet.

-Tess's stock rotates every week. I figured, but it's nice to know.

-There was a lot of controversy about the Eververse stuff, but after playing around it actually seems like a really good implementation of microtransactions. I feel like I earn Bright Engrams at a good enough pace to be satiated, and they can drop a good amount of Bright Dust, which you can use to just buy stuff from Tess's weekly stock outright. It actually seems really smart and not offensive. I can still see the shader thing being a bummer for a lot of folks, but I'm pretty happy with my shader selection so far. Again, as with the ships, I hope there's more variety that we haven't seen yet.

-I'm really happy with the new Destinations. They feel alive and worthwhile in a way that Patrols in Destiny never did. Just hanging out in a Destination is a totally viable, valuable, fun thing to do now.

-Speaking of which. Heroic Public Events give you basically the same reward as doing a strike. Unless folks are just trying to grind out Zavala Rep, how long before people just stop doing strikes completely when you can hit 5-10 public events in the same amount of time?

-I'm really curious to see what Faction Rally is.

-Regarding Xur, a report from the strategy guide says that Xur will now be out in the wild, at the Destinations, rather than at the Tower. Just thought it was interesting.

Odds & Ends.

by huemonbeing, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 01:28 (2417 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The only thing that I'm kind of sad about is that you can do patrols while on a quest... I could have sworn you could do that in D1 but I took a long break so I could be remembering wrong as well.

Odds & Ends.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 01:47 (2417 days ago) @ huemonbeing

The only thing that I'm kind of sad about is that you can do patrols while on a quest... I could have sworn you could do that in D1 but I took a long break so I could be remembering wrong as well.

In D1, you can be on a quest, do a bounty, and do a patrol at the same time. In D2, patrols, adventures, and quests now occupy the same space. Patrols are the shortest and simplest, adventures are medium sized, and quests are long and involved. So i get why patrols don't stack with quests, though you're absolutely right about them stacking in D1. That being said, D2 lets you be on a quest, do a lost sector, find a cayde stash, help with a world event, earn credit toward an exotic weapon and complete local challenges all at once. So it's not like they are really restricting you.

Odds & Ends.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:20 (2417 days ago) @ Kahzgul

In D1, you can be on a quest, do a bounty, and do a patrol at the same time. In D2, patrols, adventures, and quests now occupy the same space. Patrols are the shortest and simplest, adventures are medium sized, and quests are long and involved. So i get why patrols don't stack with quests, though you're absolutely right about them stacking in D1. That being said, D2 lets you be on a quest, do a lost sector, find a cayde stash, help with a world event, earn credit toward an exotic weapon and complete local challenges all at once. So it's not like they are really restricting you.

The thing about patrols is... they're nor really worth your time. If I could do one while I was on an adventure or quest, I would be grabbing them more often. Maybe once I burn through all the adventures I'll be more tempted to pick them up, but they're still the least interesting thing to do in Destiny IMO.

Odds & Ends.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:22 (2417 days ago) @ breitzen

I tried to pick one up while farming public events, but apparently you can't fast travel while a patrol is still active.

Odds & Ends.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:24 (2417 days ago) @ bluerunner

yep. I wish they were treated more like challenges (with slightly better rewards): Pick them up and just do them as you go about your day.

Odds & Ends.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 07:34 (2417 days ago) @ breitzen

Yes! They should be the new bounties.

Odds & Ends.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:46 (2417 days ago) @ bluerunner

Pretty sure this is because they are now location locked. You have to complete them in the area they were picked up unless it is a "go here scan that" patrol.

Odds & Ends.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 16:48 (2416 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Pretty sure this is because they are now location locked. You have to complete them in the area they were picked up unless it is a "go here scan that" patrol.

I found today that this is not always the case. The kill things quest ("Take a bath" or "bathtime" - something like that) in the Cistern on Nessus, for example, says to kill enemies in the cistern, but killing any enemy in any area will count for the purposes of the patrol.

I know other patrols I've found are definitely zone locked, so I'm not sure if this particular one is open and this is a bug, or if all kill things type missions are open... still looking into it.

I started to say ....

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:26 (2417 days ago) @ huemonbeing

welcome but I see you posted once before a few years ago.

Welcome back!

Odds & Ends.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:26 (2417 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by bluerunner, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:32

Tess treated me good this week. I got both ships with the hunter snake logo. Ikora gave me the cloak with the hunter snake logo. I've also got the ghost shell with the snake (and a blue shader) and the blue hunter snake logo emblem. Bluerunners everywhere! Bungie gets me.

noice!

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:01 (2417 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Odds & Ends.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:06 (2417 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just a few random thoughts.

-Grinding really seems to be gone, as far as power level is concerned. The clan rewards really help there. I logged on and immediately got three Powerful Engrams from clan stuff and jumped from 270 to 273. Cody, Korny, and I did the Nightfall, and then Korny and I did the Cayde's stash stuff, and I was at 277 when I logged off.

What are we supposed to do with Cayde's wares? Do they have any value or use? Why do I need black cubes and purple powder?

Odds & Ends.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:09 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

I honestly don't know. I think they're just supposed to be funny. Cayde gives you a small amount of glimmer if you turn then in to him.

Odds & Ends.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:16 (2417 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've done both weeks of his chests and it seems to break down like this.

(in no order)
Chest 1: Purple Engram
Chest 2: Blue equipment
Chest 3: Cosmetic Wares
Chest 4: Redeemable artifact
Chest 5: Empty

Is this basically accurate for others?

Yep. Best rewards in the first 2...

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:26 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

...then mixed rewards that degrade for the last 4 or so. Maybe I should stop doing them all in 1 day, see if one a day would be better for rewards.

Odds & Ends.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:27 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

I got an Exotic out of one last night.

Odds & Ends.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:29 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

(in no order)

Last week I got emblems from chests 1, 2, and 4. I also got non-redeemable "flavor items" from chests 1-3, and a redeemable one in chest 4. I don't remember a chest 5 at all. Weird.

Odds & Ends.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:05 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

Last week (not in order):

• Rare engram
  • emblem
  • Exotic and legendary engrams
  • A little box
  • A little journal entry

Beware the chest cooldown bug

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:13 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

via Reddit

Might explain why you're not getting anything from that last chest. Pretty sure I had a dud or two this week as well.

-Disciple

Beware the chest cooldown bug

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 16:49 (2416 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

via Reddit

Might explain why you're not getting anything from that last chest. Pretty sure I had a dud or two this week as well.

-Disciple

The first treasure chest I opened this week contained nothing at all. Definitely not related to the cooldown bug (if that exists).

Odds & Ends.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:42 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

The contents of the chest are supposed to be random.

it seems to me they might also contain various bits you can turn into Cayde. I'm not clear if you just get glimmer for them or something else to.

It sees you can only hold one letter fragment at a time but any you are forced to leave out in the field will show up at the postmaster. I've so far seen letter fragments and tin foil hats. One of the letter fragments was interesting as it seemed to be a diary entry from cayde lamenting that he was about to go from human to exo and lose all his memories and his love would not be able to find him in his new form when she returns.

You can purchase 5 weekly bounties from cayde but you can also purchase consumables for each world. these consumables will last for 4 hours once used and will mark in you HUD any plain chests or resources that get within x number of feet from you, I was finding stuff quite often when I tried it on nessus. May have to get more. Does not seem to work on cayde's treasure chests or the gold region ones.

Odds & Ends.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:46 (2417 days ago) @ CougRon

Does not seem to work on cayde's treasure chests or the gold region ones.

The regional chests are all marked on the map anyway with that cross w/dot in the center. I wondered for the longest time what those logos meant. It's those chests...but they are hidden pretty well sometimes.

Odds & Ends.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:54 (2417 days ago) @ CougRon

I pulled an Ascendant Artichoke out of one chest. Humorous flavor text.

Speaking of the scouting report consumables, though, just like in D1, if you aim it adjusts what "range" you exist at. So if you aim a sniper near where chests spawn you can see the indicator even when you are really far away. So if you are trying to tag chests it is a good strategy.

Odds & Ends.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:59 (2417 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I pulled an Ascendant Artichoke out of one chest. Humorous flavor text.

Yeah, this gave some neat context to Eris's's Ascendant raisins... My favorite so far was CheapLEY's "Perfectly Normal Coin":

[image]

Speaking of the scouting report consumables, though, just like in D1, if you aim it adjusts what "range" you exist at. So if you aim a sniper near where chests spawn you can see the indicator even when you are really far away. So if you are trying to tag chests it is a good strategy.

Yeah, I was glad to see that it still works this way. Especially useful if you have a Ghost that points out chests/planetary materials.

Odds & Ends.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:52 (2417 days ago) @ ManKitten

(in no order)

I've gotten an exotic engram both weeks so far from his chests.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread