Edge Interview with Chris Barrett

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 08:38 (3867 days ago)

Edge Online has an interview with Chris Barrett about creating a new world. Go give it a read!

Venus

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 21:38 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

Edge Online has an interview with Chris Barrett about creating a new world. Go give it a read!

I'd really like to know what kind of space age suit is going to let you withstand 900°F and 90 atmospheres of pressure!

As an aside, will we be able to jump really high on mars?

Venus

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 21:40 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd really like to know what kind of space age suit is going to let you withstand 900°F and 90 atmospheres of pressure!

Yeah I'm really hoping that they don't just make all the planets the same gravity because of "terraforming"

Venus

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 21:43 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Our current best understanding is that the various planets of the Solar System were terraformed for us by The Traveler. So, no special suit required, and no ultra-long jumping on Mars… Unless our current best understanding is incomplete or wrong…

Venus

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:00 (3866 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Our current best understanding is that the various planets of the Solar System were terraformed for us by The Traveler. So, no special suit required, and no ultra-long jumping on Mars… Unless our current best understanding is incomplete or wrong…

well, we know it's incomplete, and IDK why the Traveler, in terraforming these places, would change the gravity (I mean, there's a reason or two, but I have no idea how it would come to that decision)

Venus

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:12 (3866 days ago) @ General Vagueness

well, we know it's incomplete, and IDK why the Traveler, in terraforming these places, would change the gravity (I mean, there's a reason or two, but I have no idea how it would come to that decision)

Eh, we suspect it's incomplete. Maybe our (my) current understanding is exactly correct.

As to the Traveler, if it was terraforming the planets to better suit us then altering the gravity, which would be beneficial to us, might have been one of its many changes.

Venus

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 12:24 (3862 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Eh, we suspect it's incomplete. Maybe our (my) current understanding is exactly correct.

There are undoubtedly a lot of things we don't know about everything the Destinyverse.

As to the Traveler, if it was terraforming the planets to better suit us then altering the gravity, which would be beneficial to us, might have been one of its many changes.

Cody has a point though. I was thinking of gravity plating like you'd find in most sci-fi spaceships, but now I'm thinking what about building basements and bunkers and in-ground pools, what about excavation, what about mining, what about examining the soil and rock for scientific reasons, what about digging a hole just because we feel like it? Whatever increases the gravity would have to be deeper than we could ever dig, or at least deeper than we would ever need or want to dig, to protect it, and even then what about tectonic and volcanic action and what about meteors? That's if it is or works like gravity plating though, they could, especially with this "mythic sci-fi" universe, have it be a protected machine on the surface or in orbit or even projected by the Traveler itself somehow. It sounds like a lot of work that isn't strictly necessary though.

Venus

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:12 (3866 days ago) @ Ragashingo

How do you terraform more mass onto a Planet? You should still be able to high jump on Mars, shouldn't you?

Venus

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:15 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How do you terraform more mass onto a Planet? You should still be able to high jump on Mars, shouldn't you?

How do you alter the orbit of Jupiter, make Mercury livable enough that skyscrapers can be built in full view of the sun, or create some kind of shield that keeps a single city safe from multiple enemy races? If The Traveler did all those why is adding mass to a planet out of the question?

Venus

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:27 (3866 days ago) @ Ragashingo

How do you alter the orbit of Jupiter, make Mercury livable enough that skyscrapers can be built in full view of the sun, or create some kind of shield that keeps a single city safe from multiple enemy races? If The Traveler did all those why is adding mass to a planet out of the question?

As far as I know, the jjaro tech could only fold mass AWAY, not add it :-p

Just used to my Bungie being hard sci fi.

Fair enough. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:30 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the gravity...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:31 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 22:36

Technically it could compress the planet which would decrease r which would increase the effects of gravity on the surface of the planet.

by Jabberwok, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 08:26 (3865 days ago) @ Xenos

If you compressed it, it would still be the same total mass, but smaller. Wouldn't you still have to add additional mass if you wanted to increase the gravity?

If they don't want to change gravity for gameplay reasons, fine, but explanations like that are so far-fetched that I would rather just go without them at all.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 29, 2013, 08:52 (3865 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Not really.

You see, with a smaller radius (assuming you are at the surface) the gravity would indeed be greater. Take black holes for one. They have pretty much the same mass it had when it was a dying star (not exactly the same, but definitely not 10 times more), yet it's only trouble when it's a black hole and not when it's a dying star. Why's that? Because it has a very much so reduced radius.

In mathematical terms, the gravitational pull outside of the body in question is a function of the mass/(distance from mass center^2), so the smaller the radius, the smaller the distance from the center of mass, the greater the pull.

Thanks ZackDark!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 09:22 (3865 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah like I was saying (and ZackDark said), you're not increasing the gravity that the planet produces, you're actually decreasing your distance from the source of the gravitational pull which will increase the effects on anything that is on the surface of the planet.

by roland ⌂ @, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 13:49 (3864 days ago) @ ZackDark

In mathematical terms, the gravitational pull outside of the body in question is a function of the mass/(distance from mass center^2), so the smaller the radius, the smaller the distance from the center of mass, the greater the pull.

ZackDark speaks the truth.

A few minor clarifications... the amount of gravitational force exerted by a given point of mass is proportional to (the mass) / (the distance from that point)^2. For real objects (i.e. not point masses), the gravitational force is a combination of the forces exerted by a bunch of points distributed about you. For example, if a mountain were massive enough and you were standing near it, it could exert a non-negligible gravitational force on you that pulled you slightly sideways.

So, if the radius gets really small then unless the object is spherical (often not the case for things like asteroids) the gravitational force may not necessarily go up in the direction you might expect.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 29, 2013, 18:34 (3864 days ago) @ roland

Should make an interesting game mechanic, in fact.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 12:46 (3862 days ago) @ Xenos

Technically it could compress the planet which would decrease r which would increase the effects of gravity on the surface of the planet.

You could do that too, but size is another one of those key defining characteristics of a planet like mass, composition, layers, and orbit (though you can still apply what I said in my other post).
If you did a little of both-- add mass and reduce size-- you could have something the size of the planet or moon as it is but with more gravity. If you just added to the outside and squeezed, though, you'd lose all the surface features even more definitely than if you just covered them with added mass. If you could remove the outer layer of the planet, add mass to the inside, and then reapply the top later and squeeze, it would look more like its old self, and even more if you removed the top, added mass, squeezed, and then put the top layer back on.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 12:52 (3862 days ago) @ General Vagueness

You know though, there's a much simpler and easier way than any of these to justify the gravity seeming normal for players: Guardians seem to use some kind of power armor, so if you're on a low-gravity world, why not turn down the energy used in jumping? You could still jump as high and save energy. Of course you'd still come down more slowly, and dropped weapons and items would fall more slowly, and you'd have to adjust how you throw grenades-- but maybe that could also be done by adjusting energy used, targeting and trajectory sensors and processors, etc.

Venus

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 06:58 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Venus

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 15:04 (3865 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

+1

Venus

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 12:29 (3862 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Just adding mass would work too and it might be easier than other ways, but then these planets and moons wouldn't really be the same-- some defining characteristics of Mars, for example, are its size and mass, and that mass determines what its atmosphere is like, and there are a bunch of things that lead on like that. Then again, you could say the same for Venus and its atmosphere, which would realistically have to be changed to make the planet livable (and definitely not its mass, incidentally, it has just over 90% as much mass as Earth).

Venus

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 08:48 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How do you terraform more mass onto a Planet?

With many, many dump trucks.

Venus

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 01:40 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Having just played Long Night of Solace, they experimented with this during the Corvette boarding and it was sweet. So I don't see why not!

(And why we can't have awesome spaceship battles like in that level as well...)

what a level

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 01:52 (3866 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

what a level

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 02:02 (3866 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, it's crazy, a lot of games have their best levels at the beginning or end from my experience, but Halo's sometime hit their stride in the middle. I mean you have Tip of the Spear, Long Night of Solace, Exodus, and New Alexandria, all right next to each other! I've played those levels probably twice as much as the others. How am I supposed to be excited by a slow tank run or a mongoose ride when I just flew a helicopter around a burning city with falling skyscrapers, or flew a spaceship alongside the hull of a frigate, took off in another direction and let the bogie chasing me slam into the Savanahh?!

one would argue

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 03:11 (3866 days ago) @ Leviathan

They're not worried about training the player on anything or a lot of exposition and they're also not the run up to the end of the game.

So basically the game is allowed to breath, flesh out the world and allow gameplay that isn't sprinting to the end.

one would argue

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 11:21 (3865 days ago) @ kidtsunami

They're not worried about training the player on anything or a lot of exposition and they're also not the run up to the end of the game.

So basically the game is allowed to breath, flesh out the world and allow gameplay that isn't sprinting to the end.

Yeah, I thought Halo 3 hit that pace right on the head perfectly, peaking with an epic two scarab battle, taking a rest, and then ramping up for an awesome end.

The problem for me was that LNoS was too good - so as the game went on I just kep looking for a Saber and an excuse to go back into space... :)

Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler.

by GrimBrother IV, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 04:36 (3866 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

So pumped for space travel

by Spawn ⌂, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 06:37 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

Every time I read a new interview article, I hate how Bungie guys keep referencing to the new worlds. I know we're in Pre-Alpha, but DAMMIT I want to see it.

/raging fanboy

Edge Interview with Joe Staten

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 09:11 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

Edge Online has a new article following up the one on building worlds with Barret. Its with Joe Staten and its focus is how to bring the worlds "to life" Link here

Its a really good read and has nice insights into how each of the worlds is structured as its explored wise and what Bungies thoughts are on how to keep people playing in the worlds long term.

Thundarr the Barbarian!

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 11:53 (3865 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by ShadowOfTheVoid, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:36

Chris Barrett is officially in my Book of Cool People, not just for being part of Bungie, but also for making a reference to Thundarr.

I guess video embedding is disabled right now.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 11:55 (3865 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Well, here's the link to the intro and end credits for Thundarr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaB19auvjc8

Nope, it's working.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:10 (3865 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

You can't inject HTML into a post on the DBO forum like you can on HBO. Security and all that. Embedding YouTube videos is done through a forum shortcut tag:

[youtube]YouTube-Video-ID[/youtube]

Or you can use the more complex version, as documented by Claude.

I've updated your first post to have the embed.

Nope, it's working.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, 12:36 (3865 days ago) @ Beorn

You can't inject HTML into a post on the DBO forum like you can on HBO. Security and all that. Embedding YouTube videos is done through a forum shortcut tag:

[youtube]YouTube-Video-ID[/youtube]

Or you can use the more complex version, as documented by Claude.

I've updated your first post to have the embed.

Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind from now on.

disagree with one of the questions

by Jabberwok, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 08:31 (3865 days ago) @ Xenos

He says that the Earth environments in Halo never felt like real spaces, and I definitely disagree with that. I think they felt more fully-realized than most of the others. I thought they did a great job on New Mombasa, especially in ODST. Reach wasn't Earth, but I found the human settlements both interesting and convincing.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 12:17 (3864 days ago) @ Jabberwok

I thought Outskirts and Metropolis were great. The Halo 3 levels were all right too. I differ on New Mombassa in ODST. It didn't feel like a real, live city to me, but that was my only complaint. It felt more like a fortress than a city, if that makes sense.

Agreed

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 29, 2013, 18:35 (3864 days ago) @ bluerunner

It didn't feel like a real, live city to me, but that was my only complaint. It felt more like a fortress than a city, if that makes sense.

In my headcanon, it only looks that way because it is both in full lockdown and completely evacuated.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 29, 2013, 23:33 (3864 days ago) @ bluerunner

I thought Outskirts and Metropolis were great. The Halo 3 levels were all right too. I differ on New Mombassa in ODST. It didn't feel like a real, live city to me, but that was my only complaint. It felt more like a fortress than a city, if that makes sense.

Interestingly Bungie talked about it feeling like a fortress. They said it was done deliberately to emphasize the fact that humans had been preparing for an invasion of Earth for a very long time. That doesn't address if you liked the way it was or not, but interesting non the less.

by Jabberwok, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 02:31 (3863 days ago) @ bluerunner

I mean, I guess that was partly why I liked it. It was obviously not 'living' anymore, and the nighttime hub level emphasized that fact. The feeling of abandonment was pretty strong, and certain familiar props, like cars, malfunctioning ticket booths, etc, made it feel like a place that used to be alive, especially when taken together with the audio recordings. To me, most of the feeling of unreality came from all the big doors separating areas, which I imagine was partly because of technical limitations. But those can be explained away by the whole lockdown thing.

by Jabberwok, Saturday, August 31, 2013, 02:44 (3863 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Outskirts was good, and I also liked Voi in Halo 3, even though we saw very little of it. I think if you compare these areas to the more alien environments, you run into the same issues of real space. In Forerunner and Covenant areas, I almost never had a sense of what the purpose of any particular room or structure might be or have been. But in these cases, our standard for realism is going to be much lower because the surroundings are unfamiliar. But I enjoyed the mix of familiar and futuristic that the human settings had in the games. I think in Reach, they started to do a better job of cranking up the realism. There were a lot of structures that felt more like something people would actually build, instead of just level geometry.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread