Waypoint on Myth: The Fallen Lords. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 07:57 (2350 days ago)

Why 'Myth: The Fallen Lords' Had the Most Lengdary Last-Stand Missions

I've never played Myth, but I found this little story interesting. Basically it posits that Myth nailed the last-stand style mission.

The Myth games often found that sweet spot where your heroic last stand actually felt heroic and desperate… without actually being impossible and miserable

I can't speak to it, but I enjoyed reading it and thought others might find it interesting.

Is Myth worth going back to in this day and age?

Waypoint on Myth: The Fallen Lords.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 10:15 (2350 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes, but it is kind of an odd experience compared to anything else.

It's very… lonely in a way. For me there was always something about it. Only the whistling of the wind, and the cawing of the crows fill the silence between battles. Battles take place with no fanfare; a small skirmish is given as much importance as an all out massacre.

And of course, the macabre way the announcer says 'casualty' after one of your units explodes spewing his head, arms, and guts everywhere forever staining the landscape.

Waypoint on Myth: The Fallen Lords.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, November 24, 2017, 06:21 (2349 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes.

Yes

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:17 (2346 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Why 'Myth: The Fallen Lords' Had the Most Lengdary Last-Stand Missions

I've never played Myth, but I found this little story interesting. Basically it posits that Myth nailed the last-stand style mission.

The Myth games often found that sweet spot where your heroic last stand actually felt heroic and desperate… without actually being impossible and miserable

I can't speak to it, but I enjoyed reading it and thought others might find it interesting.

The article perfectly describes how the moment to moment gameplay feels. As Cody said, it's got this amazing lonely feeling, it goes beyond the tastefully sparse soundscape, it's in the narrative, how it's delivered, and everything about it. I knew about Bungie from Marathon, I became obsessed with them over Myth.

Myth II also had some really great WW2 mods...

Waypoint on Myth: The Fallen Lords. How to play?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:00 (2346 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So... for those of us wanting to go back and play it again, what's the best way to (re)experience this?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:28 (2345 days ago) @ dogcow

So... for those of us wanting to go back and play it again, what's the best way to (re)experience this?

If you still have the CD you can play on OSX via this update http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-ii-1-8-1-mac-os-x

Alternatively if you want to relive the style of the game but with an updated visuals and stuff there is a myth like successor at www.Deadhold.com that is in development right now. I may or may not be helping out with its testing :D

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 12:22 (2345 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If you still have the CD you can play on OSX via this update http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-ii-1-8-1-mac-os-x

Getting Myth 1 running on OS X was a huge fucking pain. Your best bet is actually to use an OS 9 emulator and run with software rendering. Not really a big deal since the original only supported 3DFX hardware acceleration if I recall, and nobody has those cards anymore.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 13:06 (2345 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Getting Myth 1 running on OS X was a huge fucking pain. Your best bet is actually to use an OS 9 emulator and run with software rendering. Not really a big deal since the original only supported 3DFX hardware acceleration if I recall, and nobody has those cards anymore.

This is what I get for not reading the title of the thread. Yeah, I was referencing Myth II

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 07:35 (2344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Good to know. Seems like last time I played Myth 1 was on my PC, and I had trouble with the graphics, but that was ages ago.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 07:27 (2344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Thanks, I'll have to dig the CDs out & give this a try!

Now... to get that emulator up & running for Myth I.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread