Money for Nothing (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 04, 2017, 23:38 (2335 days ago)

There was a discussion on a post Kermit had on Facebook about the streamers abandoning Destiny 2, because they're worried about making a living on a game diminishing in popularity. I say they have it easy…

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
You play the xbox on the twitch.tv
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and tweets for free

Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We gotta uber some drunk dude's cousin
Custom grubhub deliveries
We gotta brew these hot cappuccinos
We gotta move these 4K TV's

See the little gamer with the headset and the joystick
Yeah buddy that's his own chair
That little gamer got his own web channel
That little gamer he's a millionaire

I shoulda learned to play crucible
I shoulda learned to shoot them guns
Look at that mama, she bustin on those noobs
Man we could have some fun
And he's up there, what's that? Some whiney noises?
Broman all screaming like a chimpanzee
Get your money for nothin' get your tweets for free

Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
You play the xbox on the twitch.tv
Money for nothin' and your tweets for free
Money for nothin' and tweets for free

I want my twitch.tv…

Money for Nothing

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 04, 2017, 23:46 (2335 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unrelated, but my brother and I have a running gag going on where we list a handful of examples for something (usually pertaining to technology), with the last example always being "and that Money For Nothing music video."

Weird how relevant that masterpiece still is...

A+

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 00:53 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Love it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 04:35 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For the record my comment was: "I think the current 'controversy' about D2 is overblown, BTW. It boils down to youtubers gotta eat."

Love it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 07:55 (2334 days ago) @ Kermit

For the record my comment was: "I think the current 'controversy' about D2 is overblown, BTW. It boils down to youtubers gotta eat."

Yup. I’m sad that people who stream video games for a living have the power to drum up the controversy anyway. Hence the song. I am of course consoled by the fact the streamers most definitely do not get chicks for free.

Love it.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:09 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yup. I’m sad that people who stream video games for a living have the power to drum up the controversy anyway. Hence the song. I am of course consoled by the fact the streamers most definitely do not get chicks for free.

Those same streamers and YouTubers that drum up that controversy are some of the same folks that were instrumental in bringing attention to the shit going on in Battlefront II. It goes both ways, and you don't get one without the other.

Love it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:14 (2334 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Those same streamers and YouTubers that drum up that controversy are some of the same folks that were instrumental in bringing attention to the shit going on in Battlefront II. It goes both ways, and you don't get one without the other.

You are right, but that was about something important and they were right. The people criticizing Des2ny are off the mark in a lot of ways in my opinion.

Love it.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:26 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are right, but that was about something important and they were right. The people criticizing Des2ny are off the mark in a lot of ways in my opinion.

I don't disagree with that at all.

I just I find it hard to lament the fact that they can stir up controversy about Destiny when they can also do it for worthy causes. Yes, the former happens far more than the latter, but you can remove their ability to talk about dumb shit without also removing their ability to talk about important things, too.

Love it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 12:53 (2334 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't disagree with that at all.

I just I find it hard to lament the fact that they can stir up controversy about Destiny when they can also do it for worthy causes. Yes, the former happens far more than the latter, but you can remove their ability to talk about dumb shit without also removing their ability to talk about important things, too.

This is all true, but they frame their criticisms in a way such that apply to them in their world of streaming games for a living. That is not helpful. Bungie should not make games for the professional player, because the types of thIngs they want are by and large stupid.

Just to be clear, Cody...

by squidnh3, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 10:09 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m sad that people who stream video games for a living have the power to drum up the controversy anyway. Hence the song. I am of course consoled by the fact the streamers most definitely do not get chicks for free.

You've rewritten this song as a straight-up attempt to be critical of video game streamers, in a complete reversal of the somewhat subtle intention of the original song?

Just to be clear, Cody...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 12:40 (2334 days ago) @ squidnh3

I’m sad that people who stream video games for a living have the power to drum up the controversy anyway. Hence the song. I am of course consoled by the fact the streamers most definitely do not get chicks for free.

You've rewritten this song as a straight-up attempt to be critical of video game streamers, in a complete reversal of the somewhat subtle intention of the original song?

Its so meta isn’t it?

It stinks.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 04:47 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well maybe it doesn't. I think it's a generational thing.

From my point of view, I had to read a ton of rap crap to get to the meat of your message and I despise rap crap.

Uh...

by squidnh3, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 05:52 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Dire Straits is not rap, right? I mean I guess this is talky-singing.

Uh...

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:13 (2334 days ago) @ squidnh3

I loved Dire Straits, when they started a 'long' time ago.

I don't easily discern words from songs, so I don't know or know very few words from any song.

What I see from Cody looks like rap crap, even if it isn't. So therefore it is rap crap to me, even if Dire Straits wrote it.

Uh...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:17 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I don't easily discern words from songs, so I don't know or know very few words from any song.

What I see from Cody looks like rap crap, even if it isn't. So therefore it is rap crap to me, even if Dire Straits wrote it.

[image]

Uh...

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:23 (2334 days ago) @ ManKitten

It's DEEP.

Uh...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:19 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

But, I mean . . . it's not.

Doesn’t matter; rap rhymes with crap. Q.E.D.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 08, 2017, 14:17 (2331 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

It stinks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:11 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

No rap, dude. Geez. How old ARE you?

It stinks.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:16 (2334 days ago) @ Kermit

Old old and cranky and for the life of me, I did not recognize those words from Dire Straits.

Maybe this'll help

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 07:18 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Old old and cranky and for the life of me, I did not recognize those words from Dire Straits.

Maybe this'll help

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 07:25 (2334 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Blocked in Canada. This day just gets better and better.

This one?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 07:35 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Now I have brain damage. Thanks.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:17 (2334 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I mean, you DID buy an Xbone X...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 10:41 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I keed, I keed...

Maybe this'll help

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:06 (2334 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Anyone here know enough about 3D modeling to make something this crappy? I have an idea. Contact me.

Nada

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:18 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Gawd, I remember that video blowing my mind. (I'm old.)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:38 (2333 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

It stinks.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:32 (2334 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

rap crap

[image]

My Favorite Fact:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 06:40 (2334 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The animators who did the computer animated music video went on the form Mainframe Entertainment. You might know them from such classics as: Reboot and Beast Wars: Transformers.

Also... totally not rap. :p

Money for Nothing

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, December 08, 2017, 16:40 (2331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

not as good as the Reach one where you did the same thing, and that one was already only mediocre

Money for Nothing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 08, 2017, 16:41 (2331 days ago) @ General Vagueness

not as good as the Reach one where you did the same thing, and that one was already only mediocre

I'd like to see you hit Sting's high notes!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread