"Golem" is releasing for PSVR on March 13th! (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 16:48 (2333 days ago)
edited by CyberKN, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 16:58

Marty and Jamie were just on the PSX streaming stage, announced the date.

(I'll post the whole interview when I find it. In the meantime, here's a article about it from the Playstation blog)

I still don't have a headset yet- I need to get on that now...

"Golem" is releasing for PSVR on March 13th!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 17:07 (2333 days ago) @ CyberKN

Get one for $200 starting tomorrow.

Does Golem use the DS4 or the Move controllers? The $200 bundle doesn't come with Move controllers.

"Golem" is releasing for PSVR on March 13th!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 17:36 (2333 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Get one for $200 starting tomorrow.

Does Golem use the DS4 or the Move controllers? The $200 bundle doesn't come with Move controllers.

One move controller. My review incoming.

Here's the full interview with gameplay footage:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 18:47 (2333 days ago) @ CyberKN

Golem Impressions

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 22:00 (2333 days ago) @ CyberKN

My reaction was mixed.

First of all, the PSVR is probably the best VR headset I’ve tried. It’s comfortable, and the motion controls are not janky at all. It lacks the screen door effect, but the image appears much softer than the Occulus. I think that’s a good trade off.

Golem is probably the most comfortable, well working VR game I’ve played where your character can move through space. Moving through environments has always been a weak spot for VR games. Either you can’t control your character very well, or you can and you get sick. I didn’t have a problem with either in Golem. The movement speed is slow, so it’s not a fast action game. You pull the trigger on the move, and then lean in the direction you want to go. This makes backing up easy. Looking left or right while moving forward let’s you turn. It’s all pretty natural and I almost never felt like I was fighting the controls. Two buttons on the move quick turn your view, which blacks out the screen while turning. This prevented me from blowing chunks while using it, but also can be disorienting since the visuals are non continuous.

I can’t comment on the audio, because the headphones did not block noise and on the noisy convention floor I couldn’t hear anything. There were no subtitles.

The demo consisted of light exploration and sword combat. The one to one motion of the sword was pretty spot on. There was combat against golems, and skeleton archers. With the archers, you have to either block or cut their arrows as they fly. This probably works the best, as the action doesn’t ‘stop’. You can dodge and there are several you have to deal with at once.

The Golem combat was kind of lame. You basically block, then counter. I don’t know if the difficulty was just low, but the attacks come at you very slowly. Admittedly it took a while for it to click, and I was just not blocking very effectively. But even when I got it, it just wasn’t nearly as fun or as compelling at the other enemies. You break the guard by blocking - dodging and movement does nothing. This makes the fights feel really staged and static compared to the archers which move around the environment.

Movement is slow, yet I don’t feel like there is a lot of ability to examine and interact with the environment. The room you are in to start is pretty detailed, but you can’t really interact with it in any way. Look but don’t touch. Even when you get he sword, everything locked down. You can’t smash or move anything, and he city environment felt pretty bare. With the pace of the game being more chill, it’s off putting that the environment isn’t more exploitable. Even something as simple as being able to pick up and examine things such as in gone home would help a lot.

I also did not understand a specific visual mechanic in the game. You have a kind of double vision, where you can see through your Golem’s eyes, but your periphery is that of your character’s view in his bed. Sometimes it’s minimal, and sometimes it takes up a large portion of your field of vision. I didn’t understand what determines how much you see, and I also don’t understand how this is useful.

All and all, I had a fantastic VR experience, but I didn’t really experience a lot of fun. Nothing about the mechanics or the world really gripped me.

Are you going to try to buy it?

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 23:03 (2333 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Unlikely

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 09, 2017, 23:37 (2333 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Golem Impressions

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 10, 2017, 06:34 (2332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Movement is slow, yet I don’t feel like there is a lot of ability to examine and interact with the environment. The room you are in to start is pretty detailed, but you can’t really interact with it in any way. Look but don’t touch. Even when you get he sword, everything locked down. You can’t smash or move anything, and he city environment felt pretty bare. With the pace of the game being more chill, it’s off putting that the environment isn’t more exploitable. Even something as simple as being able to pick up and examine things such as in gone home would help a lot.

That’s a bummer. In my (albeit limited) experience, that’s a huge immersion breaker. If I can see it, I need to be able to interact with it, even if it serves no purpose. It feels bad to walk over to a desk and pick up the one object you can actually interact with while everything else is glued to the table. Having less objects in lower detail feels way better and more real than having lots of highly detailed objects that don’t react to me.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but it’s one of those small things that almost immediately pulls me out of the experience.

I played the demo and I liked it

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 10, 2017, 17:15 (2332 days ago) @ CyberKN

Golem is pretty cool. It's a little hand-holdy, but I expect that from what are, essentially, intro and tutorial levels. The overarching mechanic and play control is really fun, and I tried to stab an enemy golem in the nuts, which was entertaining to me, if not to anyone else who may have wandered past and wondered what I was waggling my sword at.

Having even a small degree of personal expression in the way you move through the world is pretty neat, and the mechanics of deflecting incoming spears while you charge a squad of undead was really fun. There was also one very big enemy (twice as big as the player, at least), which makes me curious about the actual scale of the final game - there's a lot of potential there.

It wasn't my favorite game of the PS Experience show (Persistence... holy god that's a fun one) or the prettiest (Detroit is amazing), but it sounded great, played well, and made good use of the VR system.

Will I be playing anytime soon? No, because I can't afford the VR setup. But if I already had VR, I'd certainly be grabbing golem when it comes out (that is now a filthy metaphor, filed away in my brain for future use).

Oh yeah, and it sounded awesome. Also: Marty is a really nice guy; it was cool to meet him after all these years.

I played the demo and I liked it

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 11, 2017, 09:27 (2331 days ago) @ Kahzgul

the prettiest (Detroit is amazing),

[image]

"Golem" is releasing for PSVR on March 13th! +7

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, December 11, 2017, 08:53 (2331 days ago) @ CyberKN

Woohoo!

I'm excited to play it. I got my PSVR for racing games & golem.

Congrats to Mary and Jaime (and team)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 11, 2017, 09:16 (2331 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's great to see them closing in on release!

P.S. Marty, if you see this, how does it feel to move from a big studio back to a small team and release your "first game" with that team?

Are they having a baby?

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 11, 2017, 11:12 (2331 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I tried to remember if one of the Jameses from the Bible was married to a Mary so I could make a good Bible joke, but all I have is that "Mary of James" was at the crucifixion and iirc she is supposed to be his mom in that case.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread