your own unique story (Destiny)

by montefisto, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 22:52 (3882 days ago)

I was wondering if it will be possible for us to have conversations, with destiny that deal with making choices, much like dragon age, mass effect. I love the games that allow you to really shape your own story, influence the people around you, also like you saw in swtor and kotor 2. Hope there are aspects of that on destiny.

your own unique story

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:01 (3882 days ago) @ montefisto

I was wondering if it will be possible for us to have conversations, with destiny that deal with making choices, much like dragon age, mass effect. I love the games that allow you to really shape your own story, influence the people around you, also like you saw in swtor and kotor 2. Hope there are aspects of that on destiny.

If they don't have such a thing, I wonder if the worlds Bungie are building and the immersive structure of the game will be so inspiring that the real conversations we have with other human-controlled Guardians could be just as cool or even cooler than that model? I mean, if I'm playing with any of you, you better be role-playing gorrammit!

your own unique story

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:14 (3882 days ago) @ Leviathan

You see a sunken skyscraper and a Fallen dropship to the North. A forest to the East. Snow plains to the West and South.

What do you do?

your own unique story

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:25 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

You see a sunken skyscraper and a Fallen dropship to the North. A forest to the East. Snow plains to the West and South.

What do you do?

I NEED MORE CONTEXT! Why was I here? What were we trying to accomplish? If it's to route these incoming Fallen before they reach a convoy headed to the Last City, then I vote for some recon action and skirt around the edges of this crash site. If we're in search for some artifact that could help the Traveler out, it's probably buried under the snow in some creepy, Hive-infested ancient ruin. And if we want to reenact the travels of Bilbo Baggins, we'll head into the forest and sing some songs together about eating, drinking, and smoking.

Invalid command. Please try again.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:28 (3882 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Please design a Destiny text-adventure game.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:52 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

*starts furiously scribbling notes and ideas*

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, September 09, 2013, 04:56 (3882 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Go east

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:44 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Go east

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 09, 2013, 02:37 (3882 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Whatever you do, don't wield sword unless you want to risk public humiliation.

(The Zork panel at PAX was fun!)

Go east

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:56 (3882 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You are in a thick, snow covered forest. You see a black pyramid between the trees in the sky ahead to the east. Forest continues to the north and south, a snow covered plain lies to the west.

Oh my, getting excited here.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:58 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Go east

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 09, 2013, 21:59 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

You are in a thick, snow covered forest. You see a black pyramid between the trees in the sky ahead to the east. Forest continues to the north and south, a snow covered plain lies to the west.

Continue East

(I want me some black pyramids!)

Go east

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 22:06 (3881 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As you approach the pyramid you reach a clearing directly beneath it. A blue beam shines down into the middle of the clearing. What you thought was a destructive beam is only illuminating the shaded clearing, not even the snow is melted beneath the beam.

Inventory

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 09, 2013, 22:26 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Inventory

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 08:43 (3881 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Hand Cannon - No Regrets
Assault Rifle - Viper P3
Basic survival kit
A yellow cowboy hat
Ling Ling

Throw Ling Ling into beam

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 08:56 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Throw Ling Ling into beam

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 09:05 (3881 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ling Ling ponderously floats up the beam towards the pyramid. You see him disappear into darkness inside the pyramid and after a long pause the lights on the and the beam of light blink and then the pyramid shutters. The beam of light steadies and you see smoke curl from the black pyramid.

Move back to a "safe" distance

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 11:09 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

*Melds out of the forest and raises a hand*

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 11:19 (3880 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"Hold, sir." Says the purple-clad stranger, "What are you doing near the Pyramid of Leviathan?"

Move back to a "safe" distance

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:21 (3880 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The pyramid shutters and slowly starts to fall toward the forest, as you watch it you notice it tilt in your direction as it picks up speed and you can now see flames burst out of the top of the pyramid.

Get ye' Flask?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, September 09, 2013, 06:13 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Get ye' Flask?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:59 (3882 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Just as you are about to take a drink, it explodes in your hand, looking around you see a Cabal glaring at you with a smoking rifle in hand.

your own unique story

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 09, 2013, 07:28 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

What do you do?

Eat garlic.

WAIT NO

Ha!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:16 (3882 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

your own unique story

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:47 (3882 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What do you do?

Eat garlic.

"You see a sunken skyscraper and a Fallen dropship to the North. A forest to the East. Snow plains to the West and South".

This reminds me of those text based computer games I played on a commodore, or a Tandy or whatever system I was using back in the day :)

your own unique story

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:49 (3882 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What do you do?

Eat garlic.

WAIT NO

What the heck? You won't make any friends doing that! But it looks like that Hive wants a hug RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

your own unique story

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 11:20 (3880 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What do you do?

Eat garlic.

WAIT NO

Vampires aren't a playable race...

Go North

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, September 09, 2013, 07:54 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

What else do you do? Of course you go where the enemy is most likely to appear!

Go North

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 08:57 (3882 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

What else do you do? Of course you go where the enemy is most likely to appear!

As you head towards the sunken skyscraper, you see two Guardians firing at the Fallen dropship. Snowy plains lie to the south, west, and east.

Assist the Guardians

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, September 09, 2013, 11:25 (3882 days ago) @ Xenos

No one takes on humanity without consequences!

Assist the Guardians

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, September 09, 2013, 22:05 (3881 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

As you open fire on the Fallen, one of the Guardians, a Titan, salutes you lazily as the Hunter ignores you. The Hunter is removing Fallen heads while the Titan is firing rockets at the dropship. A group of dregs see you join the fray and turn to engage you, meanwhile a Fallen Captain runs between you and the other Guardians, turning his back to you as he engages the Titan at close range.

Take Out the Dregs

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 05:26 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

Picking off the Dregs to the sides as I go with my semi-automatic rifle, I run to the middle of the Dregs and unleash "Fist of Havok".

Take Out the Dregs

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 08:47 (3881 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Picking off the Dregs to the sides as I go with my semi-automatic rifle, I run to the middle of the Dregs and unleash "Fist of Havok".

Dregs go flying in all directions, the dropship flies closer to you unleashing a fresh wave of Fallen as the Captain's soul escapes his body behind you. Your fellow Guardians run to your side and reload their weapons as the Fallen begin their charge.

Switch to my Heavy Weapon and Provide Covering Fire

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 10:07 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

I guess it's time to pull out the Thunderlord! I begin laying down covering-fire for my fellow guardians.

Hey! You never rolled for Iniative!

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 11:21 (3880 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:23 (3880 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I guess it's time to pull out the Thunderlord! I begin laying down covering-fire for my fellow guardians.

The hunter uses his Golden Gun as the Titan lays into the Fallen with a menacing looking shotgun. In minutes the Fallen lay at your feet except for a few stragglers retreating to the skyscraper.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:35 (3880 days ago) @ Xenos

The hunter uses his Golden Gun as the Titan lays into the Fallen with a menacing looking shotgun. In minutes the Fallen lay at your feet except for a few stragglers retreating to the skyscraper.

They are on the retreat, you and your fireteam have nearly won the day. You start your pursuit of the remaining Fallen and manage to pick off the stragglers. However, you seem to have missed a pair of vandals as they escape into the black of the building interior. You hear howls coming from the darkness as if to taunt you. Your warlock comments on this being a fool's gambit. Your titan looks almost hungry to meet their bravado in equal measure. You contemplate running head long into the abyss of this long forgotten tower...

Is this your vengeance? :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:42 (3880 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Nope, this is.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 13:01 (3880 days ago) @ Xenos

Xenos the Hunter runs toward the door and trips over the first step and falls face first into a conveniently placed cream pie. You recover from the fall to see the rest of your fireteam alongside the Fallen you thought you had killed laughing their collective asses off. You discover in horror that it was all a cruel joke. Everyone begins enjoying rounds of high fives, really cool four armed high fives at that, that you are not apart of. Interspecies laughter is shared at your expense as you wipe the pastry and shattered dreams off you face. They decide that the night is young and that partying and ice cream without you is the best use of their twilight years.

You cry alone and everyone forgets about you.

Game Over, please insert coin to start again.

Hahahaha... uh I mean, that's awful, you're the worst....

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 13:03 (3880 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

that was probably the most mean spirited thing I ever posted

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 13:07 (3880 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Unshared ice cream, the worst of fates

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:42 (3879 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Collect Loot

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 17:33 (3880 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Turn green

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 08:50 (3881 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

You finally unlocked the green rage monster talent and waste no time upping the ire. Like the flash of a solar flare, green fills your vision, green fills your tendons, rage fills your heart. You now notice you're three times your normal size, have stripped off all your armor, and inexplicably have donned purple shorts. Oh and you're running, you're not sure when you started running, but you can't seem to stop. And before you even know what's going on, your hands seem to have found their places tucked neatly between two vandals skulls, which are now crushed like peanut shells. So fast and so brutal, not even their souls had finished leaking out of their once intact domes before you slingshot them into the bright blue horizon. Their screams are washed out by the ensuing chaos, but it's not really chaos, you're in full control. You contemplate if what you just witnessed was shuddering pain coming from a spider tank, as you cleave off one of it's armored appendages. You weren't sure if it was beast or machine, but you're definitely sure a machine would not pull away from something like that with a whimper.

You are rage, you are the avatar of pandemonium, you are Titan.

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 09:02 (3881 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Hahaha, you've out written me Paddy (not that it's hard), curse you! :)

damn it feels good to be a gangsta

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 10:17 (3881 days ago) @ Xenos

I couldn't help myself. Hopefully one day I an finish a whole story.

HULK SMASH!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 10:47 (3881 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Wait, what did I just say!?

your own unique story

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, September 08, 2013, 23:26 (3882 days ago) @ montefisto

Having conversations, making choices, shaping your story, and influencing the people around you? I think those are some of the very pillars that Destiny is being built upon. :)

Granted, you might be influencing and having conversations with actual humans instead of NPCs, but there's always the possibility that Bungie will include the standard RPG dialogue trees you mentioned.

Personally, I prefer the infinitely unique stories that can emerge from a sandbox universe over the narrow, multiple-choice cutscenes seen in games like Mass Effect. Give me the keys to a fast Sparrow, point me toward some sandy Martian dunes, and drop a few friends at my side; we'll shape a story together that will leave a more lasting (and more personal) impression than anything a distant writer might concoct.

-------
(I see that this is your first post here at the DBO forum - welcome! Make yourself comfortable, we love having another friendly face to chat with.)

your own unique story

by montefisto, Monday, September 09, 2013, 01:48 (3882 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Thank you! :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread