The Games of 2017. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 19:58 (2311 days ago)

I hope folks don't mind, but I like doing these end of the year wrap ups, and I like hearing what other folks enjoyed throughout the year. I'll try to keep it at least somewhat brief (edit: I so totally didn't), so I'll just jump in.

In no particular order, the games I appreciated this year:

Horizon: Zero Dawn

This game doesn't hold up quite as well for me in hindsight, but it's still an incredible game. It's gorgeous, competing with Uncharted 4 for the best game to ever be on the PS4. The story is the real draw of the game for me, with a mystery that actually has a worthwhile payoff, which seems rare anymore. The combat is engaging and fun in a really satisfying way, especially with the difficulty cranked up, something I'm not usually fond of doing. I wish the open world was a bit more interesting and "real" feeling, but it's still very good as it is. I also think the game benefits from being a very tight, compact experience (for an open world game). It's a game that focused on the important things without a lot of extraneous bullshit and clutter, and I can appreciate that.

Assassin's Creed Origins

Almost the polar opposite of Horizon. It's a game that's huge and expansive, with tons of extraneous bullshit to do, and you start to see the repetition in the side activities fairly quickly. But the world is so interesting, so well designed, and feels like such a real place that I don't mind. Much like I felt with The Witcher 3, I just love being in that game world. I walk everywhere, just talking in the sights and the people, just being there. The rest of the game is fun, too. I like the new combat system (very Dark Souls-lite), I dislike the Destinyified loot system, but its easy enough to find the weapons you like using and just keep upgrading them, so it's easy to ignore. The main story hasn't really grabbed me, but I like Bayek as a main character, and I like a lot of the side quests and stories. It's a great step for the Assassin's Creed franchise in my opinion.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I still haven't finished this game. It's a game that I like very, very much when I'm playing it, but a game I can't help but wish was much better than it is when I'm not. The world feels empty and hollow, with very few NPCs, and very few interesting quests, the weapon durability system sucks, the Shrines all feel the same and aren't very challenging, the four actual dungeons are tiny and easy. But when I'm actually in that game, none of that matters. It's game that feels singularly focused on exploration, and it nails that in a way that no other game I've ever played has. Climbing a hill is its own reward, just to see what's on the other side. The size and scale of that world feels like some sort of black magic. Everything is simultaneously much closer and much farther away than it seems. Crest a hill and see something in the distance, it looks really far away, but totally reachable. Then you descend the hill and get lost in an expansive forest for an hour, only to come up out of it and arrive at the thing you were aiming for, with the world seemingly expanding and shrinking on a whim. It's hard to describe, but it really is magical.

Super Mario Odyssey

Not much to say here, other than the game is a complete joy. It's a perfect blend of new ideas and throwbacks to classic Mario. In terms of just being a video game, it's as close to perfect as I've ever experienced. It just feels great.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

It's more Uncharted. Chloe and Nadine are a great duo with a great dynamic. It's gorgeous, the story was worth telling.

Pyre

I fell off of this one because something else came out, but I'll get back to it. A cool mix of visual novel and sports game, it's an interesting story with amazing art, great music, cool characters, and incredible style.

What Remains of Edith Finch

The latest entry in the "explore your family's empty house" genre, this one feels unique. I liked exploring all the family members' stories and the neat little gameplay and presentation twists they provided.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

The entire last episode blows, but its still worth playing, I think.

Steamworld Dig 2

Just a fun casual digging game. Dig for materials, upgrade your tools, explore the ancient ruins of humanity while you search for the protagonist of the previous game. Just a neat game to relax with.

Gorogoa

I just played this one last week. It's a short (took me about two hours, maybe a little less) puzzle game that's very unique. It's 2D drawn art, presented in four panels. The gameplay involves moving your character around to get him to his goal, but you don't control him directly. Instead you must click and drag the panels around, peeling away layers, shifting perspectives, combining frames. It's not very difficult, but it's novel enough to be well worth playing.

Little Nightmares

Inisde, but actually good.

The Sexy Brutale

A neat puzzle game. You're stuck in a mansion and must prevent a series of murders. Time is on a loop, and you have to sneak around and piece together the murders and figure out what you can change to prevent them from happening. Cool style, great music, and a neat gameplay loop.

Destiny 2

Obviously. No need to discuss it in this thread, but I still really enjoy it, and CoO + The Dawning was enough to get me pretty deep into it again.

Nier: Automata

I was off work today and picked this up, and it's enthralling. The combat is a decent sort of hack'n'slash, the game is sort of ugly looking (with some occasional stand out moments of beauty), but the story is enthralling and affecting and very cool. It takes a while to really get going, and the gameplay is sort of middling (but enjoyable, in a sort of mindless way), but it feels like a very directed experience that is serving a very pointed purpose. It's a game that feels like it has a real vision, in a way that not many games do.

The Witcher 3

Still a great game. I played through it for the fourth time this year, and I'm still anticipating going through the expansions again. Man I love that game.

Skyrim

Yeah, it's six years old now, but I've put probably 40 hours into it again, due to it being on the Nintendo Switch. Which, actually brings me to . . .

The Nintendo Switch

Damn, I love this thing. I want to play everything on it. I use it almost exclusively in handheld mode, and I love doing so. It feels like a refined piece of tech, unlike the Fischer Price styled WiiU. It's still Nintendo levels of dumb and shitty (no cloud saves or real account management stuff, no real online features, still using friend codes, etc.), but just using the device is fun and cool. Hopefully they keep supporting it as much as they have this year, and hopefully they finally drop the 3DS and focus all of their development resources on just the Switch.

And, lastly, a few games I didn't get around to but still want to play:

-Divinity: Original Sin II
-Prey
-Night in the Woods
-Cuphead
-Bloodborne (yeah, it's old, but I still haven't played it for more than few hours)
-Heat Signature
-Hollow Knight (I'm waiting on the Switch version)
-Xenoblade Chronicles II

So, I didn't keep it short after all, and I'm sure I missed some things.

What did you all spend time with this year?

Every game I played in 2017, and my review.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 20:15 (2311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Madden 18: game is better than 17, but ultimate team is too complicated and all the players suck.

Destiny 2: game is worse than Destiny, but simpler and all the gear sucks. Still great.

LIS BTS: game is better than LIS, but only if you quit playing before episode 3, which was meh.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 22:53 (2311 days ago) @ Funkmon

Madden 18: game is better than 17, but ultimate team is too complicated and all the players suck.

How's the story mode?

Considering I forgot about it, forgettable.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 23:45 (2311 days ago) @ CyberKN

If I could go back in time I wouldn't play it.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, December 30, 2017, 18:45 (2309 days ago) @ CyberKN

Worth watching on youtube if someone you don't hate did a playthrough. Not worth actually playing.

Objectively incorrect

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, December 30, 2017, 18:44 (2309 days ago) @ Funkmon

MUT 18 is much simpler than MUT 17 because all of the chems are terrible so you don't have to actually use them.

The Games of 2017.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 29, 2017, 06:31 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Friday, December 29, 2017, 06:37

My most played and most enjoyed game this year was actually a 2016 game: Titanfall 2. The support that Respawn has put behind that game deserves all the recognition it can get. Great new maps, great new game modes, constant balance tweaks, all for free. Their updates are so frequent that when they made a balance change that the community wasn’t happy about (merging the grappling hook) it only took them something like 3 weeks to undo the nerf.
That stuff aside, it’s still the best feeling and Best playing shooter on a console (I know Destiny excels in this area, but Titanfall 2 has snappier controls and more responsive movement. As a result, it doesn’t look as smooth as Destiny, but I *feel* like I’m more in control).

Horizon Zero Dawn is a masterpiece, plain and simple. I just started it again from the beginning, and the game is blowing me away all over again.

Destiny 2 might not be as replayable as D1 for many people, but as a game that you play through once and then come back to from time to time with friends, it’s pretty great.

A few other noteworthy games that I’ve played...

Assassin’s Creed Origins really does nothing for me. The franchise has gone so far away from what drew me to it in the first place. It’s also a game that fails to do anything particularly well, IMO. The combat, storytelling, graphics, music, world design... it’s all just “ok”. I find it especially disappointing given that Ubisoft took a year off the AC franchise so that they could really invest in this game, and the results are possibly the most boring and generic entry in the franchise so far.

Star Wars Battlefront 2. Ok, there’s something to this game. It’s not amazing. I’d have a tough time recommending that anyone pay full price for it. The Microtransaction economy is so bloated and clunky that even though they’ve removed any real-money transactions from the equation, the whole “card” system is obnoxiously obtrusive. And yet, every couple weeks I spend a few hours with this game and have loads of fun. The levels feel lovingly crafted, the combat is fun, and the whole Star Wars universe is so faithfully recreated that I get a thrill from being in the various worlds and battles. It’s also worth mentioning that the game has a huge list of custom game options that make it super friendly to jumping in with friends of varying skill levels. You can give individual players more or less health, faster or slower cooldowns, etc. Makes the game very approachable.

I also went a bit insane this year and got 3 new consoles O_o

The Nintendo Switch is a pretty cool little device. I had some bad luck with it; my console died a few days after I got it, but I was able to get it replaced easily. I’ve put a bit of time into Zelda... only a few hours, but so far I’m really not seeing what all the hype was about. It feels to me like a game that might have been groundbreaking if it came out 10 years ago, maybe. That said, I’m having a decent time with it. It’s very pretty and charming. But I lost my save file when my console died, and I’m really not looking forward to replaying the first few hours, for whatever that’s worth. I also spent a tiny bit of time with Mario Kart... not as much as I’d like (my console kept freezing before dying), but the one thing that jumped out at me is how friendly and approachable it is for new or young players. There are auto-acceleration and auto-turn options that can be toggled on/off per player, so my 4-year-old daughter and I can play split screen together along with all the AI drivers and she can feel like she’s truly competing, which is awesome.

Xbox One X. I picked this up a little while back, but just recently got a 4K tv. So now I feel like I can really appreciate what it does. We’re still in the early days of true support for the console, but so far I’m impressed. Destiny 2 looks absolutely gorgeous in HDR 4K.

PS4 Pro. HZD in 4K/HDR ZOMG!!!!

I’m probably forgetting something too, but that’s all I can think of for now :)

The Games of 2017.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 29, 2017, 06:49 (2310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My most played and most enjoyed game this year was actually a 2016 game: Titanfall 2. The support that Respawn has put behind that game deserves all the recognition it can get. Great new maps, great new game modes, constant balance tweaks, all for free. Their updates are so frequent that when they made a balance change that the community wasn’t happy about (merging the grappling hook) it only took them something like 3 weeks to undo the nerf.
That stuff aside, it’s still the best feeling and Best playing shooter on a console (I know Destiny excels in this area, but Titanfall 2 has snappier controls and more responsive movement. As a result, it doesn’t look as smooth as Destiny, but I *feel* like I’m more in control).

^ This. Titanfall 2 was a lot of fun and received a lot of great free content this year. Too bad Respawn is part of EA now.

Factorio

I had some good fun with this PC game. It's a top-down game where you start with nothing and automate your way to success while fending off monsters. The gameplay trailer does a good job of explaining the basic game.

Is there a Factorio for dumb people?

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 07:07 (2310 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Is there a Factorio for dumb people?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 29, 2017, 07:46 (2310 days ago) @ Funkmon

I found Nilaus's base-in-a-book series helpful. He breaks down some of the stuff he built in one of his let's play series and provides blueprint strings you can copy into your game. Then you can build up a decent base just by stamping down the blueprints and laying stuff on top of them.

Let me rephrase

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 13:11 (2310 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Is there a dumbed down game like Factorio?

With the same concept of production lines?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 29, 2017, 13:17 (2310 days ago) @ Funkmon

I don't think so. All I can think of are games with similar level of complexity.

For what is worth, you can start REALLY simple with Factorio and intuitively get more complex as you go.

Let me rephrase

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:42 (2310 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not that I'm aware of. If you turn off the enemy creatures you can take as much time as you want to decide how to do everything. The whole idea behind Factorio is to start with simple stuff, then progressively automate more/scale up as you go. You can't really simplify that much without losing most of what makes the game interesting. That said, there are elements of Factorio in many other games like Minecraft, Let's Starve, etc.

The Games of 2017.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 11:53 (2310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Assassin’s Creed Origins really does nothing for me. The franchise has gone so far away from what drew me to it in the first place. It’s also a game that fails to do anything particularly well, IMO. The combat, storytelling, graphics, music, world design... it’s all just “ok”. I find it especially disappointing given that Ubisoft took a year off the AC franchise so that they could really invest in this game, and the results are possibly the most boring and generic entry in the franchise so far.

Man, really? That genuinely surprises me. Maybe it’s just the fact that I hate what Assassin’s Creed had become. AC II was my favorite AC, and honestly the only one of the entire series that I genuinely completely liked. I enjoyed Black Flag, but that was really only for the pirate aspect. The actual Assassin’s Creed part of that game still sucked.

I genuinely enjoy the combat in Origins, and I think it’s the the best, most engaging open world this year. Zelda is close, but it ends up feeling too empty of actual worthwhile things to find.

That said, I played Origins for 20 hours, then put it down for something else and I haven’t gone back to it yet. I’m still looking forward to doing so though.

The Games of 2017.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:55 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Man, really? That genuinely surprises me. Maybe it’s just the fact that I hate what Assassin’s Creed had become. AC II was my favorite AC, and honestly the only one of the entire series that I genuinely completely liked. I enjoyed Black Flag, but that was really only for the pirate aspect. The actual Assassin’s Creed part of that game still sucked.

I genuinely enjoy the combat in Origins, and I think it’s the the best, most engaging open world this year. Zelda is close, but it ends up feeling too empty of actual worthwhile things to find.

That said, I played Origins for 20 hours, then put it down for something else and I haven’t gone back to it yet. I’m still looking forward to doing so though.

AC II and Black Flag are by far my 2 favorite games in the franchise as well (although I did really enjoy Brotherhood as a direct sequel to AC2). But to me, both those games had incredible core pillars that everything else was built around. In AC2 it was the story and interweaving of narrative & gameplay mechanics, the world building, the role playing (the game truly made me feel like I was playing the part of an Assassin). Black Flag was basically an amazing Pirate game with the AC label slapped on it (and I agree that the more traditional "AC" parts of that game were the weakest, but the Pirate stuff was SO GOOD). But to me, Origins just doesn't have a pillar holding itself up. I haven't done a single thing that I would describe as "fun". Like I said, it all just strikes me as "ok" or "competent", except when it fails completely. The world is huge, but instantly repetitive. None of the assassinations I've performed so far were the carefully executed, meticulously thought-out operations like the ones in AC II or Brotherhood... most of the level geometry just isn't laid out in the sort of way that is conducive to that style of play. It's almost always a straight-up brawl that comes to a sudden end when I happen to kill the actual target in the middle of a mass bloodbath. Which would be fun if I enjoyed the combat at all, but it just feels very clunky and un-intuitive to me.

Not trying to be a downer, because I know you like the game :) Just explaining why it doesn't do anything for me.

The Games of 2017.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 17:11 (2310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

AC II and Black Flag are by far my 2 favorite games in the franchise as well (although I did really enjoy Brotherhood as a direct sequel to AC2). But to me, both those games had incredible core pillars that everything else was built around. In AC2 it was the story and interweaving of narrative & gameplay mechanics, the world building, the role playing (the game truly made me feel like I was playing the part of an Assassin). Black Flag was basically an amazing Pirate game with the AC label slapped on it (and I agree that the more traditional "AC" parts of that game were the weakest, but the Pirate stuff was SO GOOD). But to me, Origins just doesn't have a pillar holding itself up. I haven't done a single thing that I would describe as "fun". Like I said, it all just strikes me as "ok" or "competent", except when it fails completely. The world is huge, but instantly repetitive. None of the assassinations I've performed so far were the carefully executed, meticulously thought-out operations like the ones in AC II or Brotherhood... most of the level geometry just isn't laid out in the sort of way that is conducive to that style of play. It's almost always a straight-up brawl that comes to a sudden end when I happen to kill the actual target in the middle of a mass bloodbath. Which would be fun if I enjoyed the combat at all, but it just feels very clunky and un-intuitive to me.

I can completely see and understand where you're coming from. I think this game would be much stronger without the Assassin's Creed name--that brings a lot of baggage with it and doesn't necessarily meet the expectations that name my bring.

I think, for me, the issue is that I just don't like what Assassin's Creed turned into. The combat in that series has always been mediocre at absolute best, and I think the new system is much better. I can understand folks not liking it, but I think it works really well, and I actually find it pretty satisfying. It can be a little button mashy and brainless, but there are a lot of fun abilities in that skill tree that I just enjoy utilizing.

I agree with you on the assassination missions. It's super weird and bad when you kill your target and are still surrounded by a dozen enemies. I still would absolutely love to see an Assassin's Creed game more in the vein of last year's Hitman. Something much more systems/simulation driven. I feel like that is what the first Assassin's Creed was hinting towards, and I would love to see that game actually happen. I do miss the actual assassin missions that amount to more than just assaulting a fort and killing a dude. That said, I still actually enjoy assaulting the forts and killing the dude in this game, and with more of the abilities unlocked, I'm actually surprised at how dynamic that can be. I've gotten very good at sneaking through those large encampments and killing only my target and getting out.

I also understand why you wouldn't like the world. For a traditional Assassin's Creed game, it's just big and flat. There are very few areas where you can just climb up and run along the rooftops. But again, I think that's why I loved it. To me it feels like a fully realized, real place. I can grok the argument that it doesn't make for a good video game and doesn't necessarily service the gameplay you would expect from Assassin's Creed, but I just don't care about that. I just love walking around that world, seeing what the NPCs are doing, checking out all the neat little details. It doesn't quite match doing so in The Witcher 3, but it comes much closer than I would have ever anticipated. I like talking to the NPCs and the sidequest stories they tell. And I don't actually understand the repetitive argument. I mean, I get it, it's a lot of sand, but I was genuinely surprised at how varied that world is. The actual desert, the delta, the cities, the mountains, the big lake and surrounding marshes.

Most importantly, though, I like Bayek. He's the first AC protagonist that I genuinely like. I like how charming and warm he is. He feels genuine in a way that none of he others have, and I appreciate how much he actually cares about the people around him.

Not trying to be a downer, because I know you like the game :) Just explaining why it doesn't do anything for me.

Oh, not at all. I'm nearly done with Giant Bomb's 25 hours worth of end of the year podcasts, so I'm in a mood to talk about and debate games (Their list is an absolute shit show this year).

The Games of 2017.

by yakaman, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:34 (2310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Do you have a hard time going back and forth between Xbox and ps? I’m trying to talk myself into ps pro, but I worry my ancient mind won’t be able to jump back and forth.

The Games of 2017.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:38 (2310 days ago) @ yakaman

Do you have a hard time going back and forth between Xbox and ps? I’m trying to talk myself into ps pro, but I worry my ancient mind won’t be able to jump back and forth.

Generally, no. But I've been doing it for a while, so I've gotten used to swapping back and forth. I was always a "1 console at a time" guy until I got a PS3 to go along with my 360... it did throw me off quite a bit back then, mostly because the controllers felt so different. These days, aside from the left thumbstick placements, the Xbox and Playstation controllers are similar enough that I don't have much trouble.

The Games of 2017.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, December 29, 2017, 15:53 (2310 days ago) @ yakaman

I go back and forth between the two all the time, sometimes even playing an hour or two of Destiny on each platform with the only break between the two being the time it takes me to change the input on my TV and sync my A50s with the other console.

The Games of 2017.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, December 30, 2017, 08:53 (2309 days ago) @ yakaman

I play both and I would not ever say it was a big enough problem to warn someone against the multi-platformm life, but I do have trouble adjusting in games where you need quick and precise movement. The sticks are different noun between the PS4 and XBONE controllers that it throws me. I fixed it a little by adjusting sensitivity, but it's not really a sensitivity difference it is a difference in response curve and range. I could fix some of it with my XBOX pro controller, but think I prefer that, so until Sony makes a pro controller I just have to be OK with sucking for the first few rounds of Titanfall whenever I switch.

The Games of 2017.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 30, 2017, 12:57 (2309 days ago) @ Vortech

I play both and I would not ever say it was a big enough problem to warn someone against the multi-platformm life, but I do have trouble adjusting in games where you need quick and precise movement. The sticks are different noun between the PS4 and XBONE controllers that it throws me. I fixed it a little by adjusting sensitivity, but it's not really a sensitivity difference it is a difference in response curve and range. I could fix some of it with my XBOX pro controller, but think I prefer that, so until Sony makes a pro controller I just have to be OK with sucking for the first few rounds of Titanfall whenever I switch.

Titanfall 2 is the specific game where I have the most trouble switching back and fourth between consoles (which is to say not much trouble, but some). It's because the placement of the left thumbstick and left d-pad actually impacts the way I play. With the Xbox controller, I can keep my left thumb on the left stick to keep myself moving at all times. When I need to drop a titan, I can reach over with my right thumb and hit the D-pad without ever taking my left thumb off the movement stick. It lets me do things like this:

But on the PS4, the only way for me to reach the D-pad is to take my left thumb off the thumbstick, therefore stopping any movement I have going on. I've learned to adapt a bit... I often try to call in my Titan while I'm in mid-air, therefore my momentum is keeping me moving rather than the thumbstick. But it isn't ideal.

The Games of 2017.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 29, 2017, 11:47 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was off work today and picked this up, and it's enthralling. The combat is a decent sort of hack'n'slash, the game is sort of ugly looking (with some occasional stand out moments of beauty), but the story is enthralling and affecting and very cool. It takes a while to really get going, and the gameplay is sort of middling (but enjoyable, in a sort of mindless way), but it feels like a very directed experience that is serving a very pointed purpose. It's a game that feels like it has a real vision, in a way that not many games do.

First of all… YES! It wasn't the best Platinum game I've played (not even top 3), but it was still great.

The Games of 2017.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 11:56 (2310 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First of all… YES! It wasn't the best Platinum game I've played (not even top 3), but it was still great.

I’m looking forward to getting back to it tonight. The gameplay still hasn’t completely grabbed me, but the boss fights and even just the perspective shifts with the camera keep it feeling fresh, and I’m just starting to play with new weapons and explore the chip system, and it seems like there’s some potential there.

The story and world are completely enthralling though.

The Games of 2017.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 29, 2017, 11:59 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I liked:

Kathy Rain (came out 2016, but I found it this year)
Dreamfall Chapters
Life is Strange Before the Storm
Wolfenstein New Colossus
Thimbleweed Park
N Sane Trilogy
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Destiny 2
Finding Paradise

The Games of 2017.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Friday, December 29, 2017, 18:54 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
By-the-numbers JRPG. Nothing to write home about but a solid game worth the price of admission.

Destiny 2
Was a vast improvement over vanilla Destiny 1, but lacked staying power after reaching max light level, partly because the PvP--like D1's--sucks. Glad I tuned out before the recent kerfuffles around pay-to-win, locking old content behind DLC, and surreptitious EXP throttling.

Titanfall 2
Really fun game and very well-made. It's just a shame I never had many associates to play with.

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
A returning favorite from 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 ...
When you want to get in some comfy, easily-tab-outable grinding, accept no substitute.

Persona 5
Really enjoying it so far.

Games+ for me of 2017

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 20:05 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A handful of notable things I played through the year. Starting with things that I am just now getting to (in spite of my backlog) and going through re-released games and then fresh for 2k17. I haven't completed all of them, but these are ones that stand out for at least feeling somewhat accomplished in them.

Titanfall 2 (XBO) - This one has been discussed here a lot. I think it is definitely what I clocked the most time in for most of the Year. Well supported, very solid game. Ups and downs with balancing (Volt didn't need the second nerf it got and could have used a bigger buff when they tried to fix it) but overall a very lively experience. The movement is the best, bar none. Especially when you get practiced with air strafing and slide hopping. (In contrast to above, however, I don't think the shooting feels better than Des2ny, only the movement) I am looking forward to see where Respawn goes from there.

Warframe (PC) - I had tried this game back in 2013-14 time frame. I didn't like it. I still have major issues with it, but I play it because I have a friend who is really into it who I enjoy playing with. The art style is one of the worst things in the industry today. Movement is fun. Combat isn't super satisfying outside of powers. But there is a lot to do, and the time-oriented growth and investment structure is quite interesting, and I think something a lot of games could learn from.

Submerged (PC) - There is no combat. It's pure exploration. The setting is interesting and in line with my preferred flavor of post apocalypse (more on that later) and at times both beautiful and unsettling. I missed it back in '15 when it was released, but Steam sales do wonders for growing my back catalog. Definitely worth it for the chill atmosphere and interesting story telling if you have the time.

Primordia (PC) - An older point-and-click adventure which reminded me a lot of Machinarium. But it is much more elaborate, though still holds the frustrations of trying to solve the puzzles. Most of them are rational, but it still suffers a lot of trial and error.

Layers of Fear (XBO) - Walking simulator. But a really enjoyable and engrossing one. I guy I know runs weekly and event LANs through the largest bar in town, and the dark real-world atmosphere really helped the feeling of the game when I played through it. Definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys a bit of Gothic horror in their life. I am looking forward to playing Observer when I get around to it.

Ziggurat (PC) - A very mid-90's inspired shooter with Rogue (the original 1982 Rogue is still in my top 3 games of all time list) elements? Sign me up. It reminds me a lot of Heretic/Hexen in style, but much more toward Unreal or Quake for the overall gameplay. It scratches and itch I didn't know I had. Though, some of the bosses are cheap as all get out.

D16M (Switch) - Happily this game is still amazing and it running on a Switch is impressive. Sadly it doesn't play as well in handheld mode simply due to the way Nintendo made the Joycons. But it makes for a very satisfying periodic diversion.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch) - I got flak from some folk I know because I have clocked way more time into this game on my Switch than BotW. But I refused to buy a Switch for a single game at the time and this pushed it over anyway. I've been playing various iterations of this game for a long time now, and it's still probably my very favorite time waster. The combination of Legend of Zelda inspired rooms with a Rogue-like structure brings me great joy. Not for the faint of heart. Probably not for the deeply religious. But oh-so satisfying to beat Mega Satan with only one heart for the last 2 phases of the fight. So intense.

Breath of the Wild (Switch) - I think you summed it up pretty well for me with "feels empty and hollow" and while there is definitely more to it that is a succinct way to put it. From a technical standpoint and the chosen art direction for the game they were making is great. The game is fun, though I feel that the grind for stamina and the durability systems are a little heavy handed in a bad way. The more RPG elements are nice, and I actually enjoy the cooking mechanic. A little tighter experience with some aspects of the game and I would likely regard it much higher. I don't think it is up there with the more focused Zelda games, but it definitely is a very enjoyable world to be in if nothing else.

Lawbreakers (PC) - My biggest disappointment of 2k17. Not because the game was bad. Far from it. From a "Competitive Shooter" standpoint it stands (or stood, I have heard patches after I gave up have ruined the overall balance) head and shoulders above everything else on the market (Yes, even TF2, D2, and OW) and the market just let it die. CliffyB hate or poor marketing or F2P/30$/Loot Box baggage or whatever. Combine that with a high skill floor and a daunting skill ceiling and it just wasn't meant to be I guess. RIP Lawbreakers.

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus (PS4) - GotY Runner up for me. It continues the story from The New Order in a very visceral way. Highly enjoyable. It is worth playing for that alone. I think the actual story (even including The Old Blood) of these games show what the medium is capable of even more than a lot of pure narrative games that are out there. It can be brutally punishing, but also provides a very good and punchy bit of combat. Transitioning from stealth kills to dual shotguns is probably one of the most giddifying things you can do this year in any game. Definitely some rough spots in encounter balance, but nothing that was impossible to work out. And I've only done one play through.

PUBG (PC) - I've played it periodically over the course of the year. I can't bring myself to invest crazy amounts of time into it. Maybe if I had a solid group of people with good communication. The core design is enjoyable, and the broader gaming community seems to have taken that to heart. I don't think it'll go away, but it will have competition. It can be tense in a really good way, though. It is frustrating at times that the style of game focuses so much on ambushes as the premiere strategy.

Destiny 2 (XBO/PC) - I already had a major rant about my feelings on PvP. I need to slim down my follow up rant regarding PvE and some minor PvP updates. I'm still playing it more than anything else at the moment. Though my group on the XBO has basically fallen off for the most part, to my disappointment. So it's mostly PC for me, which I have a much smaller install base on. Gonna have to find people to try to net those 25 competitive wins.

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 110% my GotY. Basically as close to my ideal post-apoc setting as I've seen anything hit. A story that is well constructed, quite human, and also kept me guessing at a few points, which is rare for most media anymore. While I acknowledge it somewhat lacks realism to replace that with content density, I'll concede that as the right decision. It is a world worth being in, exploring, and honing your skills in. I need to play The Frozen Wilds still. And I have been considering another play through. The last time it was to the point I was equipping armor for purely aesthetic purposes as I was so rarely taking any damage at all. The game allows for skilled and intellectual play in a very refreshing way. The fact that a lot of the feel of the game reminds me of Tomb Raider (13) and Rise of The Tomb Raider is a very positive things. Those were some of my favorite experiences of the last handful of years (I played TR13 in Winter of 2014 and RotTR when it released) and the parallels were endearing, but placed in an open experience in that setting? So good.

And two Pen and Paper games have taken up a reasonable amount of time. Even if I haven't actually sat down and had a group to play them with. Just random D&D pick up games.

Tales From the Loop - Anyone who plays tabletop and like the resurgence of Weird 80's could benefit from looking into this game. I backed it pretty substantially during the Kickstarter campaign. I am not disappointed with the end result. It is a very straight forward game mechanically, buy easily supports playing something reminiscent of Stranger Things, E.T., The Goonies, IT, Stand By Me or any number of other similar flavors of game. I just need to find a group to run a campaign with.

Genesys - The pet project. Genesys for those unfamiliar is a setting agnostic system by Fantasy Flight Games based off of their Star Wars line of Narrative-focused PnP games (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebelion, Force and Destiny) focused primarily on their proprietary dice system. So, the project. I've been working on converting Destiny over to a Pen and Paper system for give or take 2 years or so. Some of it more obtusely than others. But with this as a basis, and sufficiently flavorful to support Destiny as a universe, I've restarted much of my progress. Finding the appropriate balance between attempting to retread a more gamist style for combat encounters while keeping the core as colabo-narrative has been an interesting process. I've only had the book itself for a short time to work off. But I figured it was novel enough to bring up here. I'll probably start a thread when I come up with a pre-alpha document.

Good list!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 20:48 (2310 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Submerged (PC) - There is no combat. It's pure exploration. The setting is interesting and in line with my preferred flavor of post apocalypse (more on that later) and at times both beautiful and unsettling. I missed it back in '15 when it was released, but Steam sales do wonders for growing my back catalog. Definitely worth it for the chill atmosphere and interesting story telling if you have the time.

I may have to look into this. It sounds neat.

D16M (Switch) - Happily this game is still amazing and it running on a Switch is impressive. Sadly it doesn't play as well in handheld mode simply due to the way Nintendo made the Joycons. But it makes for a very satisfying periodic diversion.

Do you have a pro controller? If not, how does it control? I pretty much only use my Switch in handheld mode--I just like playing like that. But the analog sticks on they joycons are passable at best, and I honestly could not imagine trying to play a FPS, much less a super fast one like Doom with them and have anything resembling a fun time.

Breath of the Wild (Switch) - I think you summed it up pretty well for me with "feels empty and hollow" and while there is definitely more to it that is a succinct way to put it. From a technical standpoint and the chosen art direction for the game they were making is great. The game is fun, though I feel that the grind for stamina and the durability systems are a little heavy handed in a bad way. The more RPG elements are nice, and I actually enjoy the cooking mechanic. A little tighter experience with some aspects of the game and I would likely regard it much higher. I don't think it is up there with the more focused Zelda games, but it definitely is a very enjoyable world to be in if nothing else.

That's really it for me. That world, as empty as it is, is absolutely enthralling to be in. I really think it's the way they play with scale and sight lines (there is literally always at least two things, bare minimum, on the horizon that look interesting). I really miss actual dungeons, though. I very strongly disliked the Divine Beasts beyond the initial gimmick, and I feel like once you've done a dozen shrines you've basically seen them all, beyond the rare outlier. Korok seeds are sort of neat at first, but that's literally one of five "puzzles" repeated 900 some odd times througout the world. I'd love for the next Zelda to have a BotW styled world with real Zelda dungeons instead of shrines and some actually interesting NPCs and quests to discover. Still, just exploring that world is a real joy, and especially with the climbing and paraglider, it's just fun to move around. All of my issues with the game really do sort of disappear and become irrelevant when I'm actually playing it.

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus (PS4) - GotY Runner up for me. It continues the story from The New Order in a very visceral way. Highly enjoyable. It is worth playing for that alone. I think the actual story (even including The Old Blood) of these games show what the medium is capable of even more than a lot of pure narrative games that are out there. It can be brutally punishing, but also provides a very good and punchy bit of combat. Transitioning from stealth kills to dual shotguns is probably one of the most giddifying things you can do this year in any game. Definitely some rough spots in encounter balance, but nothing that was impossible to work out. And I've only done one play through.

I'm glad this game exists, and I really, really like the story, but man I actively hate playing the game. Like, I don't even think it's mediocre, it's absolutely atrocious. Nothing about it feels good to me. It feels worse than the first game by a pretty considerable margin, and I didn't like that one either.

And two Pen and Paper games have taken up a reasonable amount of time. Even if I haven't actually sat down and had a group to play them with. Just random D&D pick up games.

I've always sort of wanted to give tabletop a try, just never had a group that was willing, and never quite cared enough to try and find one. Maybe that's a decent gauge of how much I'd actually like it. I love listening to Austin Walker's tabletop play podcast, though. Friends at the Table is really good.

The motivation to find a group != level of enjoyment.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 23:42 (2310 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Do you have a pro controller? If not, how does it control? I pretty much only use my Switch in handheld mode--I just like playing like that. But the analog sticks on they joycons are passable at best, and I honestly could not imagine trying to play a FPS, much less a super fast one like Doom with them and have anything resembling a fun time.

I do not. I haven't used my Switch in docked mode. I dock it just to charge it. For the most part it just requires me to use more lateral adjustments with strafing than I would in most games where I'm only using fine adjustments with my lateral aim. To a degree hit detection, at least on glory kills, seems to be quite forgiving. So you still keep momentum.

That's really it for me. That world, as empty as it is, is absolutely enthralling . . . Korok seeds . . . I'd love for the next Zelda to have a BotW styled world with real Zelda dungeons instead of shrines and some actually interesting NPCs and quests to discover . . .

While I enjoy things to find in the world, Korok seeds are not the sort of thing that is at all enjoyable to try to "100%" like other games manage. And yes. I would have been happy if the Overworld were smaller but there were either more or just more involved dungeons.

I'm glad this game exists, and I really, really like the story, but man I actively hate playing the game. Like, I don't even think it's mediocre, it's absolutely atrocious. Nothing about it feels good to me. It feels worse than the first game by a pretty considerable margin, and I didn't like that one either.

There is an odd thing about it. I have discussed it many times with folks after I identified it to myself. MachineGames' Wolfenstein is a Modern shooter cherry picking Classic elements compared to D16M wherein it is a Classic shooter which cherry picks more Modern elements. And I can totally understand someone not liking what parts they blended together for these Wolfenstein games. I think I actually would have preferred both of them on PC, but I haven't committed to buying any of them again for that purpose.

I've always sort of wanted to give tabletop a try, just never had a group that was willing, and never quite cared enough to try and find one. Maybe that's a decent gauge of how much I'd actually like it. I love listening to Austin Walker's tabletop play podcast, though. Friends at the Table is really good.

I haven't had a truly regular group since '09. If you have a LGS (or even sometimes a library) often times you can find someone running D&D Adventurer's League games. I don't choose to go out of my way, but if you enjoy any sort of raw, cooperative (or counter-operative) improvisational play, some variety of PnP is great to at least try. And most "bad experiences" are from bad groups. Which is why I haven't had a steady one since '09. There is something about PnP when you really get down to it that I don't think will ever be recreated in a digital medium, no matter how hard folks keep trying. I've also been doing it since I could basically interact at a table, though. So there is that. The bad image of gatekeeper nerds at LGSs doesn't crop up nearly as often as it would have even 5-10 years ago. Most of those guys at this point have been shoveled off the MtG or YGO.

Roguelikes

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 18:47 (2308 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You mention really loving Rogue, and you call out Binding of Isaac. Do you enjoy the genre overall, or just those games in particular?

If the latter, I'd recommend Unexplored. I don't know enough about the genre to compare it to anything else, but I really got into that game for a month or so. I really loved the way that game told little stories. The game is built in a way that it drops items and little bits of lore that get connected throughout the run you're doing. It does a good job of seeding things that will be useful later, but in a way that also sort of gives context to the world.

Austin Walker, of Waypoint, explains it better than I could:

But what elevates Unexplored is how, using “cyclical” generation, it builds levels that you sweep through in daring arcs instead of tiny jabs of inquiry. Then it layers twenty of those levels on top of each other and indexes them against each other, creating self-referential dungeons unlike anything I’ve seen in the genre. That sounds complicated, so here, let me explain it this way:

On floor 3, you find a scroll that says that St. Whoever was lost to the fire pits below. Okay, cool, sorry, St. Whoever. On floor 5, you solve a puzzle using a clue from a different floor, and as a reward, you retrieve a recipe for a fire resistance potion. Or do you hold on tight, because after all, you heard about those flame pits. Forty minutes later, facing an orcish champion on a narrow rock bridge, you are slammed with a gust of wind and a massive club, and you go flying off the side of the level, descending down into… yes, the flame pits. So, did you ever make that potion? And do you now have a better idea of how, exactly, St. Whoever found their end? If you’re me, then no you did not, and yes, you now very intimately do.

It's never much deeper than that, but it helps me to sort of get into what I'm doing, helps me feel like a I'm exploring a real place more than just a randomly generated dungeon.

Here's a video of Austin Walker playing (the video that convinced me to buy it). This guy is probably the guy I respect the most in the games industry from a perspective of how deeply he thinks about games, and he communicates in a way that is just incredible to me.

Also, I've been playing Dead Cells recently. It's a metroidvania that is run based with roguelike elements, and it is really freaking good. Still in early access, but from what I've seen, and from everything I've heard, it's already extremely polished and pretty complete experience. I haven't played enough to really say too much about it, but it's incredibly fun in its variety, and it's something I definitely see myself putting a bunch more time into.

Here's the trailer for that:

Roguelikes

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 22:05 (2308 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I enjoy the genre in a lot of ways, and the experiential potential. Rogue is just a forever game for me. The Binding of Isaac just happens to have some of my favorite implementations. Ziggurat (in my list) has Rogue-like elements put pretty front and center. Another one high on my list is/was Rogue Legacy. But it is really hard at New Game++++ when you did New Game++ and New Game+++ on one life.

And Unexplored is not a game I had previously heard of. The self-referential generation sounds really interesting and definitely worth looking into. Most Rogue-likes thrive on the balance of what they choose to keep familiar and what they choose to make fresh each run. So something that will walk the edge of both is interesting. In fact I have poor impulse control and purchased it prior to even trying to watch that video.

Dead Cells is on my radar. But I haven't picked it up yet. A lot of the ideas remind me of Rogue Legacy which is built around building up your lineage, granting you improved stats on subsequent runs to help you overcome the harder challenges.

A list of games I consider worth looking into with Rogue elements:

Don't Starve/Together
Dungeon's of Dredmor
Nuclear Throne
Risk of Rain

I tend to stick to suggesting those. Otherwise it is pushing into ASCII/text styled or crazy obtuse ones. Like Dwarf Fortress. There are others I'm sure I'm forgetting, though.

But yeah. I think most games actually have the potential to draw quality things from concepts of Rogue-likes but it is rare I see those pulled into more traditional game genres.

I have now clocked 5 hours in Unexplored

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, January 13, 2018, 13:31 (2295 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And it is one of the more enjoyably frustrating experiences I have had with a game in a long time. I really appreciate the suggestion, because while I had seen it before I hadn't decided to pick it up. Thankful that I did.

I have now clocked 5 hours in Unexplored

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 13, 2018, 15:22 (2295 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I’m glad! I had a lot of fun with it for about a month. I’m honestly not sure I’ll ever go back to it, but that’s alright. That seems to be what always happens with roguelikes for me.

Night in the Woods

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:32 (2305 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been playing Night in the Woods for the last few nights. I'm not finished, but I am really enjoying it so far. It's cute, and funny, and endearing, and heartbreaking. It's the most real story I think I've ever experienced in a game.

It's about a young girl (who is also a cat--all the characters are anthropomorphic animals) who drops out of college during her sophomore year and moves back to her small, washed up hometown. She meets up with her old friends who have sort of grown and up and moved on. There are lots of great moments, where everything is "how it used to be," but then they go on about their lives, while Mae (the player character) is left sort of aimless and dejected. It really is a weird rollercoaster, with crazy fun moments punctuated by reality creeping back in afterward.

It hits really hard for me, as it echoes my own experience (I also dropped out of college and moved home, feeling like a fuck up, waiting tables, feeling like I was wasting my life while my friends all got degrees and jobs and started families. In a lot of ways I still feel like that, although to a much lesser extent). I can feel this game in my freaking bones.

Anyway, if you like the sort of story-driven, walking around talking to people genre (Oxenfree is the most readily comparable example, but Life is Strange is also a decent enough comparison, I guess), I would highly recommend this game.

Hey CheapLEY... about AC Origins... (spoilers)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 15:39 (2302 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I’ve been putting a bit more time into AC Origins this week. It’s actually grown on me quite a bit since getting to the territory around Giza. I’m finding the missions more fun, and the story is getting interesting.

Anyway, I stumbled across a side quest near Memphis, and... well it’s so bat-shit crazy that I had to run here and ask if you’ve done it yet; the Sundail Quest?

*spoilers below *

I’m now running around Ancient Egypt with a Final Fantasy sword and shield. Oh, and my mount is a Chocobo lololol. It’s awesome :)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 18:26 (2302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 19:03

No, I haven't done that yet. I had heard about it (The Bombcast or Beastcast talked about, briefly, I think).

I actually haven't played in . . . a month? Since Curse of Osiris came out. For all the talk about how much I loved it (and I do), I got to the Giza area and just haven't gone back to play it since then. CoO came out, then I played the final episode of Before the Storm, then I started Nier, then I played Night in the Woods, I went back to Pyre last night, and I've been playing Dead Cells off an on for the past two weeks, I played a bit of Breath of the Wild.

I really do have too many half-finished games.

Now that you made this post, I think I am going to jump back into Origins tonight for a bit, though. I'll check out that mission for sure.

EDIT: I just did it. I was expecting more from the actual quest, for some reason, but it's still neat. It's exactly the sort of dumb video game bullshit I can get behind. The shield looks cool.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 09:39 (2300 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I just finished the main campaign last night... holy crap, what a turnaround. Once I hit roughly 8 hours or so, the game started to click and build momentum for me like crazy. The story and characters get continuously more interesting and compelling, the missionsgot better, and the locations more diverse and beautiful. I did most but not all of the side quests, and I’m excited to go back in and continue exploring. There are still 5 or 6 regions on the map that I haven’t visited yet, and I’m excited to check them out. Some of the North-west territories are heavily developed Greek & Roman areas, and the combination of landscapes and architecture is just jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Most of all, the *feel* of an assassins creed game starts to become more prominent as the game moves on, in a very subtle and natural way. This is obviously a game about the origins of the Assassins brotherhood, and as the plot moves towards that culmination, the missions also start to take on more of that classic AC feel. It’s actually really clever.

I think some of my early gripes also became less bothersome over time as I adjusted to the game. I now quite enjoy the combat. I still don’t think it’s particularly natural or intuitive, but I’ve become familiar with it to the point where I now feel a sense of control and badassary that was lacking at first.

So yeah. Totally glad I stuck with it. Having loads of fun at this point.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 08, 2018, 09:45 (2300 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m glad to hear it. You’ve inspired me to jump back in, too. I played a bit last night and got back in the groove of the game, and I’m really eager to get back in again. I just did the hallucination with the big snake in Memphis and met with Aya.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 09:53 (2300 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m glad to hear it. You’ve inspired me to jump back in, too. I played a bit last night and got back in the groove of the game, and I’m really eager to get back in again. I just did the hallucination with the big snake in Memphis and met with Aya.

I think Aya is my favourite part of the whole game. She’s a rich character, and her relationship with Bayek is very well developed over the course of the game. Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that I found their journey over the course of the game truly touching. Tragic, yet uplifting... very bittersweet. Really well done.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:43 (2300 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think Aya is my favourite part of the whole game. She’s a rich character, and her relationship with Bayek is very well developed over the course of the game. Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that I found their journey over the course of the game truly touching. Tragic, yet uplifting... very bittersweet. Really well done.

I like Aya quite a bit, from the little I've seen of her. She's not content with just straight revenge killing, and instead channels her anger and grief into fighting for a righteous cause. I'm still waiting for Bayek to hopefully make that turn. I do like Bayek, too. It feels like he genuinely cares for the people of Egypt.

You're path with the game seems to echo a lot of what I've heard from around the web and with a few friends. Vinny from Giant Bomb, too, comes to mind. He tried to argue for Origins as one of the most disappointing games of 2017, just because it wasn't what he wanted from an Assasssin's Creed game. On podcasts that were recorded after their GOTY deliberations, he goes on to talk about how good it is, once he sort of met the game on its terms, rather than what he expected from Assassin's Creed.

I understand that name recognition is important, and I am okay with games straying from their past, but I still do wonder if calling this game Assassin's Creed really did it any favors. I lost any love I had for AC halfway through Revelations, which I never finished, so I don't particularly care, and I'd be happy to see AC move more in this direction. I just wonder how many folks might not have pushed through the stretch of the game with it feeling almost nothing like Assassin's Creed.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 20:52 (2300 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like Aya quite a bit, from the little I've seen of her. She's not content with just straight revenge killing, and instead channels her anger and grief into fighting for a righteous cause. I'm still waiting for Bayek to hopefully make that turn. I do like Bayek, too. It feels like he genuinely cares for the people of Egypt.

You're path with the game seems to echo a lot of what I've heard from around the web and with a few friends. Vinny from Giant Bomb, too, comes to mind. He tried to argue for Origins as one of the most disappointing games of 2017, just because it wasn't what he wanted from an Assasssin's Creed game. On podcasts that were recorded after their GOTY deliberations, he goes on to talk about how good it is, once he sort of met the game on its terms, rather than what he expected from Assassin's Creed.

I understand that name recognition is important, and I am okay with games straying from their past, but I still do wonder if calling this game Assassin's Creed really did it any favors. I lost any love I had for AC halfway through Revelations, which I never finished, so I don't particularly care, and I'd be happy to see AC move more in this direction. I just wonder how many folks might not have pushed through the stretch of the game with it feeling almost nothing like Assassin's Creed.

I wondered about that too, but by the final hour or so I think they capitalize on the AC lineage in ways that make it all worthwhile. Like, something as simple as the right music at the right moment gave me chills :)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 08, 2018, 21:10 (2300 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wondered about that too, but by the final hour or so I think they capitalize on the AC lineage in ways that make it all worthwhile. Like, something as simple as the right music at the right moment gave me chills :)

Looking forward to seeing it!

I just did a quest leading up to killing the Crocodile. Looking for papers that the family's little girl had taken. Needless to say it didn't end well, and damn, it really hit me. This game is very well done, I think, when it comes to making you feel the justifications for getting the revenge Bayek seeks. More than any other Assassin's Creed game, I am so on board with killing these assholes. In most other Assassin's Creed, it just boiled down to, "Oh, they're the bad guys," and while you could understand why they were bad, Origins goes out of its way to show you what's going on, show you what they're doing to the populace of Egypt, how truly awful they are.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, January 09, 2018, 06:21 (2299 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There’s definitely value in trying to experience a game for what it is, but I do think that a part of the problem with AC Origins is that most of its weaker content is front loaded to the very beginning of the game. Looking at how it all builds and wraps up, then thinking back to the first 3-4 hours, it’s hard to believe it’s all part of the same game. There’s a drastic quality difference.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread