4K stuff. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 14, 2018, 19:53 (2294 days ago)

I’ve been converted.

I had a 4K TV (a TCL 55P605) sort of fall into my lap. I got it for dirt cheap from a buddy that was upgrading. After using it for a week, I bit the bullet and traded in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro over the weekend. It’s difficult to separate 4K from HDR, but man, games look incredible on this thing. Everything is so crisp and clear. Destiny 2 looks great, Horizon Zero Dawn is a real standout obviously, and Assassin’s Creed Origins genuinely surprised me by how good it looks.

For those maybe looking at TVs for cheap, this TCL set is great. It’s rated as the best budget 4K HDR TV on the market. Best Buy is selling them for $600, and it looks comparable to much more expensive sets. It’s a Roku TV, which is good and bad. The Roku UI is sort of ugly, but it’s much snappier than any other smart tv UI I’ve ever used.

I still don’t know that I’d say upgrading is necessary, but it is a more noticeable improvement than I previously judged from quick sessions at a buddy’s place.

4K stuff.

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, January 14, 2018, 20:11 (2294 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wow, good choice on the TV. I'd have gone for it but they're nearly impossible to get in Canada and even then can be atrociously priced.

Video gaming is a hobby. It only makes sense to invest in the best image quality available when you can afford it. My next 4K HDR will be OLED but I'll have to settle for LCD for now.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 14, 2018, 20:29 (2294 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I’d love to have an OLED, but I’m not made of money!

Before I saw my current set, I’d have genuinely thought any sub-$1000 4K HDR set would be prettt garbage, but this TCL really is gorgeous. It looked every bit as good as the double the price Samsung sitting right next to it in the store.

And I basically stole the freaking thing for $300.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 08:49 (2293 days ago) @ cheapLEY

OLEDs have a bit of a burn-in issue, so I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. They look nice enough, but side-by-side with an HDR LED screen, the difference is fairly negligible (plus, some of them have a reflective glare).

Before I saw my current set, I’d have genuinely thought any sub-$1000 4K HDR set would be prettt garbage,

The one we've been keeping an eye on dropped to $900 plus $250 rebate (and Sammy's more interested in size, so anything <65" is going to be far cheaper), but because we had other holiday priorities, we kind of missed the window.
As you're obviously aware, you don't need anything pricey for great visuals, as long as it has HDR. Most 4K TVs these days lump in "Smart TV' features just to bump up the price, when they're mostly useless.

Sweet deal. Sounds like you should use those savings towards a gaming PC. You have two years before Halo 6 comes out!

I just got this sucker for Christmas

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, January 15, 2018, 08:52 (2293 days ago) @ Korny

Recommended to me by some DBO folks.

Amazon currently has it on sale.
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV

I've had it for a couple weeks now and I really can't complain. Even though I don't have a Xbox X for the real 4k (in time), it's still looks beautiful and you can't beat that price for what you are getting.

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 08:57 (2293 days ago) @ Korny

As you're obviously aware, you don't need anything pricey for great visuals, as long as it has HDR. Most 4K TVs these days lump in "Smart TV' features just to bump up the price, when they're mostly useless.

Uh, the whole reason for a 4K TV is to see stuff in 4K. Good luck watching Netflix in 4K without the Netflix smart app.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:03 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uh, the whole reason for a 4K TV is to see stuff in 4K. Good luck watching Netflix in 4K without the Netflix smart app.

You realize they make a bunch of set top boxes for stuff like that right? Apple TV and Roku and such? Most smart tv stuff is absolute garbage with terrible, slow UI. It’s basically impossible to get a TV without all that bullshit now, so it’s sort of a moot point. But the Roku UI on my TV is pretty badly the best I’ve seen in terms of being responsive and mostly unobtrusive.

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:29 (2293 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You realize they make a bunch of set top boxes for stuff like that right? Apple TV and Roku and such?

…which is a bunch of extra money, and another thing you have to plug in and turn on. How do you plan to save money when the boxes that do the same thing are just as much if not more as just having the ability to run the apps on the TV?

I'm with you man. I'd just as soon use a laptop to watch everything on a TV screen, but a bunch of people limit the video to 720p for piracy reasons. (Amazon sometimes to 480p!) Netflix on safari is able to get 1080p, but is limited to 720p on chrome and firefox. And of course no HDR.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:40 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You realize they make a bunch of set top boxes for stuff like that right? Apple TV and Roku and such?

…which is a bunch of extra money, and another thing you have to plug in and turn on. How do you plan to save money when the boxes that do the same thing are just as much if not more?

Which is exactly why it should be optional. You don't need that crap if you don't plan to be watching Netflix in 4K (remember that it's a separate plan now). I don't want a single "Smart TV" feature on our screen, but we don't really have much of a choice in today's market.

I still feel that 4K is one of those gimmicks that's here to stay, but since we've already got a PC and console that can take advantage of it, we might as well, but I don't want to pay for all of the optional features that I won't ever use.

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:41 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

…which is a bunch of extra money, and another thing you have to plug in and turn on. How do you plan to save money when the boxes that do the same thing are just as much if not more as just having the ability to run the apps on the TV?

I'm with you man. I'd just as soon use a laptop to watch everything on a TV screen, but a bunch of people limit the video to 720p for piracy reasons. (Amazon sometimes to 480p!) Netflix on safari is able to get 1080p, but is limited to 720p on chrome and firefox. And of course no HDR.

Almost everyone here has consoles, which has all that stuff (except Apple TV). So why are we having this conversation?

The smart stuff on my TV is supposed to be among the best implementations, but I still prefer using my Xbox for those features.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:42 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

By having one already, which many people do?

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:55 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There are lots of places where I will pay money to have a better experience. Using a TV's built-in apps has always been a garbage experience. Sadly, the insistence on "unifying" the app experience (Netflix is one of the worst for this) is dragging everything down to the lowest common denominator.

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:14 (2293 days ago) @ Vortech

There are lots of places where I will pay money to have a better experience. Using a TV's built-in apps has always been a garbage experience. Sadly, the insistence on "unifying" the app experience (Netflix is one of the worst for this) is dragging everything down to the lowest common denominator.

Yes I agree, which is why I prefer to use a computer attached to the TV. But I have to use the smart app because amazon video can't establish an HDCP link between my computer and the TV, and thus streams everything in SD which fucking blows.

I have literally had to pirate things I paid for with amazon because it won't let me watch it in HD.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:29 (2293 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:44

Yes I agree, which is why I prefer to use a computer attached to the TV. But I have to use the smart app because amazon video can't establish an HDCP link between my computer and the TV, and thus streams everything in SD which fucking blows.

I have literally had to pirate things I paid for with amazon because it won't let me watch it in HD.

You could get a cheap HDMI splitter with HDCP stripping. It's what I have that lets me stream/capture HDCP-blocked content (take THAT, Atlus!). I use the ViewHD 4K HDMI Splitter (Model: VHD-Pluto). Cost about $18, but I don't think that it supports HDR (says that it has "Deep Color" support), but there are some that do, so get to researching!

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:56 (2293 days ago) @ Korny

You could get a cheap HDMI splitter with HDCP stripping. It's what I have that lets me stream/capture HDCP-blocked content (take THAT, Atlus!). I use the ViewHD 4K HDMI Splitter (Model: VHD-Pluto). Cost about $18, but I don't think that it supports HDR (says that it has "Deep Color" support), but there are some that do, so get to researching!

That’s not the issue. It can’t establish a link in the first place, since from my Mac to my TV is apparently is not an approved pathway. Nothing to strip because a secure connection is never established. Thus, SD over the unsecured connection.

Years ago those HDFury things would have the keys to establish the connection, then strip it on the way out to the monitor. Splitters just strip.

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:34 (2293 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:46

OLEDs have a bit of a burn-in issue, so I wouldn't recommend them for gaming. They look nice enough, but side-by-side with an HDR LED screen, the difference is fairly negligible (plus, some of them have a reflective glare).

I was very worried about burn-in before I got my LG B7. Yet over the holidays I played more Destiny than I've played in a long time and I've had zero burn-in and not even any image retention--the latter surprised me. I do have my consoles set to turn off pretty quickly without activity, so I'm sure that's helped. (I wish PS4s had the same screen protection features that the Xbox has.) I do have my hud's opacity set to low in Destiny.

My viewing habits also help. I don't have cable so I avoid the idiocy that is (all) cable news (and their persistent chyrons). I watch very little broadcast TV most of which seem to have persistent logos these days. Ninety-eight percent of my use is streaming or games or watching a disc.

Yes, I paid over $2000 for it, but for my money I jumped 25" and got the exact same screen as LG's W7 $7000 flagship. (Something that won't be true of their 2018 models.) The W7 is Consumer Reports highest rated TV. If it's anything like my original Samsung HDTV, I won't be buying a new TV for 10 years.

And it's difficult to overstate the effect of perfect contrast. I'm extremely pleased.

OLED's don't get as bright as LED, and one thing on the horizon is micro-LED, which, like OLED, have pixels that are lit independently so you get those inky blacks. That promises the best of both worlds.

Before I saw my current set, I’d have genuinely thought any sub-$1000 4K HDR set would be prettt garbage,

The one we've been keeping an eye on dropped to $900 plus $250 rebate (and Sammy's more interested in size, so anything <65" is going to be far cheaper), but because we had other holiday priorities, we kind of missed the window.

That's a fantastic deal, cheapley. One way you can get closer to (perceived) perfect contrast with that TV is by using bias lighting.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 09:48 (2293 days ago) @ Kermit

That's a fantastic deal, cheapley. One way you get closer to (perceived) perfect contrast with that TV is by using bias lighting.

I had DreamScreen on my old Vizio and adored it. Unfortunately it’s the old one that doesn’t pass through 4K or HDR, so that’s out. I’ll look into getting something similar again at some point.

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:48 (2293 days ago) @ Korny

I'm very sensitive to visual issues like that from the days when I ran a TV station, So I'll be the canary in the coal mine for this generation of LG OLED, I guess. I passed on Plasma due to fear of burn in and then came to regret it when nothing I ever watched had any black on the screen. There are a bunch of things that I can do and have done to help, like lowering HUD opacity in destiny, and turning on the screen shift and setting some time outs. The TV also has a refresh mode that is supposed to have good success correcting issues. I guess we'll see, but so far I really like the screen.

Calling the difference between OLED and LCD negligible is bizarre to me. Like when people say they can't see a difference between retina and non-retina screens. I can't fathom being so inured to visual quality flaws.

4K stuff.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:53 (2293 days ago) @ Vortech

Yea the OLED is well worth it. It's too early to say it hasn't burned in or not yet, but I think it will be fine, as I switch games and TV. I didn't think of the opacity settings, will look into that.

4K stuff.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 15, 2018, 11:13 (2293 days ago) @ Vortech

Calling the difference between OLED and LCD negligible is bizarre to me. Like when people say they can't see a difference between retina and non-retina screens. I can't fathom being so inured to visual quality flaws.

Some people just don’t pick up on visual subtleties like that. A friend of mine asked my how they found an actress that looked so much like a young Carry Fisher at the end of Rogue One.

Heck, I once tried to show my ex wife the difference between Blu Ray and a standard DVD, and she said they looked identical. That’s actually what I’m refering to every time I use the term “irreconcilable differences” ;)

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 15, 2018, 11:27 (2293 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh, no, I know that it exists fairly broadly. I'm just saying I can't imagine what that is like.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:07 (2293 days ago) @ Vortech

Don’t you wish you did though? Think about all the money you would save. (:

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 11:20 (2292 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I bet you are just sort of joking, but in actuality pondering whether it is better to have a finely honed sense or standards that almost nothing satisfies or to never know the highs or the lows because you can't tell the difference is one of the great philosophical questions for me. Especially for stuff like video quality where I put a lot of work in training myself to see the problems and now can't go back.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:17 (2293 days ago) @ Vortech

Oh, no, I know that it exists fairly broadly. I'm just saying I can't imagine what that is like.

I generally notice things once I look for them, but usually my brain accepts things without issue. I can hop between a 60fps game and 30fps game with no problem (as well as a 60Hz screen versus a 120Hz). I can look at a retina display and an old 3Gs display and not really have anything feel off. I was completely fine with a digital Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher on the first watch, even though I knew they were CG (even the digital Ahnold in Terminator: Salvation looked pretty flawless to me).

That said, if I were to deliberately look for the differences, I could point them out. Our Best Buy has OLED screens, HDR, and non-HDR screens on display. While non-HDR screens are pretty obvious, OLED and LED look pretty much the same to me even when I'm looking for a difference, and the difference is certainly not anywhere near $1k, especially coming off of a 1080p tv (I'm not getting rid of my personal 32" anytime soon).

Sammy notices things much better, even though she wears glasses, so who knows.

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:57 (2293 days ago) @ Korny

I generally notice things once I look for them, but usually my brain accepts things without issue. I can hop between a 60fps game and 30fps game with no problem (as well as a 60Hz screen versus a 120Hz). I can look at a retina display and an old 3Gs display and not really have anything feel off. I was completely fine with a digital Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher on the first watch, even though I knew they were CG (even the digital Ahnold in Terminator: Salvation looked pretty flawless to me).

That said, if I were to deliberately look for the differences, I could point them out. Our Best Buy has OLED screens, HDR, and non-HDR screens on display. While non-HDR screens are pretty obvious, OLED and LED look pretty much the same to me even when I'm looking for a difference, and the difference is certainly not anywhere near $1k, especially coming off of a 1080p tv (I'm not getting rid of my personal 32" anytime soon).

Sammy notices things much better, even though she wears glasses, so who knows.

OLEDs look better in darker rooms. I'm not saying the difference is worth the expense--not to everyone. I've been considering and researching my purchase for over a year. In 2016 I was very close to buying a 55". I'm glad I waited and went bigger, and going bigger was the biggest contributor to the cost. This time I'd read enough to feel good about what I got. It was more than I wanted to spend, but right now I'd do a side by side comparison with anything you can buy. In March, maybe not, but that's how these things go.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:08 (2293 days ago) @ Kermit

Dang! What size did you get? My new one is a 55”, and I feel like it’s freaking massive. Granted it’s coming from a 32”.

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 13:41 (2293 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dang! What size did you get? My new one is a 55”, and I feel like it’s freaking massive. Granted it’s coming from a 32”.

65"

A size that would have been unthinkable in my small space before UHD.

My percentage size increase wasn't much different than yours. I went from a 40". The first few weeks were amazing. I can sense it's impressing me less. How quickly we adjust to amazing.

4K stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 15, 2018, 14:09 (2293 days ago) @ Kermit

The biggest issue is that there’s just not enough 4K HDR content, honestly. 1080p sources look totally fine on it, but definitely lack that wow factor.

4K stuff.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 15, 2018, 14:40 (2293 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The biggest issue is that there’s just not enough 4K HDR content, honestly. 1080p sources look totally fine on it, but definitely lack that wow factor.

I find choosing the size of a tv is actually a tricky balancing act. It is very much dependant on viewing distance, obviously. But I also flip flop between wanting to go as big as possible for the immersion factor, vs going a bit smaller for better PvP play (I find that a smaller screen allows me to take in visual info faster. On a big screen, my eyes need to wander a little to take everything in. Much less so on a small screen, therefore I’m able to register info and react faster).

I ended up with a 55” 4K, which seems to be hitting a pretty good sweet spot so far (I sit about 7-8’ from the TV).

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 15, 2018, 17:57 (2293 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think this was the year when there was enough content for me to justify it, and most of that games. If bungie had not announced updates for D2, there's a chance that I would have held off.

I find choosing the size of a tv is actually a tricky balancing act. It is very much dependant on viewing distance, obviously. But I also flip flop between wanting to go as big as possible for the immersion factor, vs going a bit smaller for better PvP play (I find that a smaller screen allows me to take in visual info faster. On a big screen, my eyes need to wander a little to take everything in. Much less so on a small screen, therefore I’m able to register info and react faster).

Not really a concern of mine. :)

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 11:29 (2292 days ago) @ Korny

Oh. OK. That makes some sense. Unless it's in a magnolia nook or something it's so bright on a Best Buy it would be very hard to judge black levels.

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 15, 2018, 18:52 (2293 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Heck, I once tried to show my ex wife the difference between Blu Ray and a standard DVD, and she said they looked identical. That’s actually what I’m refering to every time I use the term “irreconcilable differences” ;)

Show your girlfriend now Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX, then on her phone. If she can't see a difference, then that means you don't have to bother shaving or doing your hair!

4K stuff.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 11:29 (2292 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It also means you have a time machine, or your own personal IMAX theater, so lots of things are looking up for you!

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 12:07 (2292 days ago) @ Vortech

It also means you have a time machine, or your own personal IMAX theater, so lots of things are looking up for you!

It's awards season. Dunkirk is playing in IMAX frequently in LA for the industry.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 12:40 (2292 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's awards season. Dunkirk is playing in IMAX frequently in LA for the industry.

You may be shocked to hear this, Cody, but not everyone lives in LA.

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 13:06 (2292 days ago) @ Korny

Toronto, is a pretty big film town too, believe it or not.

4K stuff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 13:17 (2292 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yup, and not a single IMAX theater in the area has Dunkirk, according to the most basic research, so what's your point with clinging to this specific film?

Gotta remember to take time off from your Shaxx slash fiction to do some research before opening your mouth, man, it takes literally seconds... ;)

4K stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 14:17 (2292 days ago) @ Korny

Yup, and not a single IMAX theater in the area has Dunkirk, according to the most basic research, so what's your point with clinging to this specific film?

Gotta remember to take time off from your Shaxx slash fiction to do some research before opening your mouth, man, it takes literally seconds... ;)

I am not sure why you are getting bent out of shape, over what was essentially a set up to a joke. The point isn't Dunkirk. The point is dating someone with eyesight so bad, you can just let yourself go.

4K stuff.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 12:41 (2292 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nice work if you can get it.

To Vortech's point about knowing stuff, my area is rotten with "IMAX" theaters. IMAX theaters? Not so much.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread