ArsTechnica is struggling to find its way back (Criticism)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 07:44 (2292 days ago)

I don't feel the same way at all, but it sure felt like I was re-reading DBO all over again.

source

ArsTechnica is struggling to find its way back

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 09:13 (2292 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I was just over @ ArsTechnica (for a different article) and I made the mistake at looking at the comments on the article. Holy crap. Can I just say what a great forum DBO is? There, I said it. DBO is awesome.

ArsTechnica is struggling to find its way back +1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 10:17 (2292 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

ArsTechnica is struggling to forum

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 11:40 (2292 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah. It's a shame. Ars forums used to be a beacon on a hill. Second only to the Suck.com forums for me. Macintoshian Achaia is still a mostly flame and idiot-free zone but it's not nearly as smart and helpful or interesting as it was.

I could blame a few things (linking the story comments and the forum together, adding sections for gaming and cars — not communities known for calm and reasoned positions) But mostly I think it is just the idea of forums/message boards falling into anachronism. Too many people find a thread not because they are a member of that community and they read most of the threads, but because a google search sent them there as a stranger who is neither aware of local custom or likely to feel any sense of personal responsibility to what they dump there. God help the forums that don't even require a signup - or let you roll over your google or facebook account.

ArsTechnica is struggling to find its way back

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 12:16 (2292 days ago) @ kidtsunami

On the whole I think I can’t agree with the article, either. I’ wouldn’t say the game is perfect, but repeatedly making a point about playing an old game because it is cheaper and you aren’t enjoying the gameplay of a newer game as much - and you aren’t even involved in the discussion of Microtransactions but you’re gonna mention them repeatedly and disregard all of the gameplay addititives to mention them another time feels like a baiting article.

Even with my verbose explorations of issues with the game I am not going to deny that CoO and The Dawning both brought a lot more into the game through gameplay than most people have been giving it credit for. And Mayhem and Snowballs were way more entertaining than those 3 weeks had any right to be - and bruv didn’t even get involved to rag on it? It is one thing to not be into it, but the article pitch feels kinda slimy.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread