Strikes in D2 (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, January 22, 2018, 07:44 (2286 days ago)

So I'm not much of a Crucible guy (Mayhem was a bast though!) so I've been running the Heroic Strike Playlist a lot lately. One of the things I'm continually impressed with is the balance of difficulty during "boss encounters". When I'm running with two other DBOers who I play regularly with, they're challenging, we need to focus, but ultimately, we prevail without wiping. When I'm running with randoms (and we're not talking) though, we almost always wipe once. Usually, we've done 80-90 percent of the encounter and we just get a little overwhelmed. But we almost always get it on our second try. IMO this is what a well-designed encounter should do! Make you look at your strategy, re-evaluate where you should use your power ammo (which you typically have less of on the second run) and make better fireteam decisions.

tldr: Destiny 2 has perfected strike encounters (especially bosses) and I can't wait to get more!

Strikes in D2

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 22, 2018, 08:42 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen

I agree.

For me, the heart of Destiny is the cooperative mode. I rank activities based on how many people I can play with.

Crucible is the exception. I always do better on my own, sadly.

Strikes in D2

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 22, 2018, 09:21 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by stabbim, Monday, January 22, 2018, 09:34

I'd say I have about the same level of success in those scenarios. I don't know if I ALWAYS wipe with randos, but it's frequent enough to seem that way.

Count me in any time you're running those. It's my favorite D2 activity, and as it happens, I'm looking for the prophecy tablet item the strikes award anyway.

Absolutely!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, January 22, 2018, 09:25 (2285 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Strikes in D2

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, January 22, 2018, 09:22 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen

That also has been my experience.

Needs to be more strikes soon though. There just aren't enough of them and all too often I get the same one 3 times in a row.

Strikes in D2

by Harmanimus @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 11:53 (2285 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I actually really appreciate the variety they have baked into the strikes we do have already. While I miss the massive variety D1 had by Year 3, I'm not disappointed with anything we got in D2. Especially not compared to some of the D1 Vanilla strikes. So glad Bungie has learned from those and continued to improve encounters. They do seem to pull mechanics into them that organically work into the Boss encounters.

Right now we have 7 (8 on PS) Strikes in the playlists. And yeah, repeats aren't the most fun. And I do get a little tired of Inverted Spire, but that's because I played it a lot through two different Betas (and on both consoles when it was that Beta) and not a fault of the Strike. But this number is on par with D1, but actually favors everyone else, because with TDB it was 2 exclusives and 6 for everyone.

The added dynamism of the Boss encounter spaces and the variable enemies as a default is really quite nice. And I hope that, like with the revamped versions we got in D1, that Bungie is able to continue to expand upon their strikes to keep them fresh.

I actually have a lot more to say on the subject of Strikes that is generally positive, but I think I need to just make a big post about that separately.

Strikes in D2

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, January 22, 2018, 14:54 (2285 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I like the variety within each Strike but it doesn't yet seem to be enough to fulfill my go to activity. I do my 3 weekly Strikes and the NF if I think it worth my efforts. That's it.

I didn't invest in Strike Playlist in D1 until TTK. So fair.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 15:55 (2285 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

Strikes in D2

by Harmanimus @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 11:58 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen

When I'm running with randoms (and we're not talking) though, we almost always wipe once.

Blueberries require me (as I am usually queueing Solo anymore due to shifting to PC with the Titan shoulder charge nerf not impacting PC as harshly) to avoid playing the actual objectives and spend more of my time babysitting them. I found that I actually stopped having wipes once I realized that I am better off playing enemy wrangler than trying to take objectives.

The Pyramidion has the boss I run into the most wipes on. And Savathun's Song has the most mid-strike wipes. But once I started staying out of the thick of it (or spending my time actually taking down enemies instead of speed running which is the popular community choice, apparently) and instead providing cover and area control? Well, I'll just say now I only wipe when I am being spiteful and do it on purpose either to bring people forward to buy more time to complete a challange I was close to that the blueberries were actively impeding my ability to complete.

This Week's Nightfall is amazing

by Robot Chickens, Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:09 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen

UpNorth and I ran it 20 times over the weekend. Why would we do this? Well, it started out with it being our favorite Nightfall due to the positive perk of recharging abilities. Hunters, with smoke, are particularly fun because they can go invisible very easily. Also, the Raiden Flux chest piece turns arc striders into the highest DPSers available. There's a couple places where you need to clear enemies (good for arc striders) but most of the strike can be stealthily bypassed by standing on plates and running around enemies (good for night stalkers). It was a fun challenge to see how quickly we could do it. Eventually we just started inviting people on our friend's list. Many people got Rat's King this weekend. Also, lots of people wanted to do it multiple times because of the faction ornaments at stake. With practice our best time was 10:53, which means we had over 50% of the clock left.

[image]

Thanks for helping us chase our dumb goals DBO. I had a ridiculous amount of fun this weekend.

It also gave me this clip in which I murder UpNorth. It was me Claude, not you. :-)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Robot%20Chickens/video/42798029

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:14 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Not this week, but Kupkake and I helped Claude get his Prestige Trophy with this strike, and it was a pretty close shave...

Yeah, this is a good week to do prestige too

by Robot Chickens, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:49 (2285 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Best part was blaming Wu for killing me.

by Up North 65 @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:25 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

lulz

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:37 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 16:51 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

With practice our best time was 10:53, which means we had over 50% of the clock left.

[image]

Nice! 15 seconds over our best! (Well, my best. This is now your best. :) )

I'm thinking with no mistakes, sub-9-mins is possible.

It also gave me this clip in which I murder UpNorth. It was me Claude, not you. :-)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Robot%20Chickens/video/42798029

VINDICATION!

by Up North 65 @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:22 (2285 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So I kinda unofficially kept times in my head as benchmarks to see where we would end up finishing and the opening sequence from dropdown to door open is like 1:30ish, our best boss clear was 1:39 seconds, the knight and sniper room was a 2 minute clear. There are definitely different methods to shave time off but shaving off a full 1:52 from our best time is questionable. But if you're wanting to try I'm available tonight and chickens loves personal challenges.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:43 (2285 days ago) @ Up North 65

So I kinda unofficially kept times in my head as benchmarks to see where we would end up finishing and the opening sequence from dropdown to door open is like 1:30ish, our best boss clear was 1:39 seconds, the knight and sniper room was a 2 minute clear. There are definitely different methods to shave time off but shaving off a full 1:52 from our best time is questionable. But if you're wanting to try I'm available tonight and chickens loves personal challenges.

Clearly I'm doing the math wrong. I thought you start with 20 mins - but looking at Chickens' vid, there are 20 minutes left after we finish the first room. My bad. ;)

yep 22 minutes total

by Up North 65 @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 18:18 (2285 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Robot Chickens, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:22 (2285 days ago) @ Claude Errera

With practice our best time was 10:53, which means we had over 50% of the clock left.

[image]

Nice! 15 seconds over our best! (Well, my best. This is now your best. :) )

Not to quibble, but... okay let's face it, I'm a quibbler. The countdown timer starts at 22 min. This thing measures time elapsed. As such, our countdown timer was at 11:08 for this making it about 30 seconds better than our shared run.

I'm thinking with no mistakes, sub-9-mins is possible.

Sounds possible, but HARD.

VINDICATION!

I could watch that all day:

lolololololololol

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:44 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

My POV

by Up North 65 @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 18:30 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

You running over my dead body afterwards just hurts man...

My POV

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 22, 2018, 18:50 (2285 days ago) @ Up North 65

Is that a Garden Progeny? Man, I was SO happy when I got that thing. I love high-impact scout rifles in theory (that was always what I ran on my Nightstalker in D1), but somehow I'd never managed to find one in D2 that didn't have a stupid perk or crappy sights, until that first prophecy tablet. And I hadn't looked up what prophecy tablets were before that, so I had NO idea it was coming. AND, through some magic, it just happened to match the color scheme I had already done on my Nightstalker armor. It was just too perfect.

Garden Prodgeny

by Up North 65 @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 19:16 (2285 days ago) @ stabbim

Once I figured out the cadence and recoil pattern I haven’t used a different scout rifle on my hunter. Plus it has one of the better if not best looking scopes. Oh and outlaw, can’t forget outlaw.

Wait, what was our time?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:29 (2285 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I know it was also under 11 minutes left.

Point of clarification

by Robot Chickens, Monday, January 22, 2018, 17:45 (2285 days ago) @ Kermit

I know it was also under 11 minutes left.

The timer in the bottom right corner of the strike is a countdown timer. It starts at 22 min and goes down from there. The Post Game Carnage Report timer is a a time elapsed counter. It starts from 0 and goes up.

My best countdown time had 11:08 seconds on the clock (shown as 10:52 elapsed). Our time with you had 10:40ish seconds on the countdown clock (would have been 11:20ish seconds).

When you ran with us, you gave us our best time at that moment. We got a little better. :-)

Strikes in D2

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 22, 2018, 18:55 (2285 days ago) @ breitzen

I really, really like the Strikes in D2. I think they're fantastic.

Honestly, I'd love to see a version of the game that focused on them more. While some complained about the way they were implemented in Curse of Osiris (myself included), I think if the game at large was constructed that way, it might be better off for it.

Imagine a version of Destiny where most mainline story missions are Strikes, and what we have as story missons now are just more Adventures thrown about the map.

I wish the strikes where integrated better, given more context than just jumping into a playlist, and I wish there were a whole lot more of them. I always have fun when I play them, be it with randos or with friends.

Yes please!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, January 22, 2018, 18:59 (2285 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread