Calus is a pushover now. Now's your chance, DEEP! (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 10:58 (2277 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:02

For those running with Kermit this weekend, this might be good info to keep in mind.

Raid gloves and class item mods both grant damage-increasing perks, which do stack.
-Modded raid Gauntlets grant you 20% extra damage after a melee kill.
-Class items buff your ability damage by 25%.

These guys drop Prestige Calus in seconds:

As one of them points out:

"You'll notice that the Nighthawk does 999,999 damage. This is only the visual cap; the actual number is closer to 1.15 million."

So get dropping before it gets nerfed!

PS. Using this same strategy, you might be able to use non-Nighthawk Golden Guns to bring down the Censers in the Royal Pools way faster as well!

So who wants to take me through Prestige mode?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:16 (2277 days ago) @ Korny

Even from your backpack I should be able to contribute.

How many people here have beaten Prestige?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:22 (2277 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm legitimately curious.

I'm pretty sure our group now shouldn't have as much of problem with Baths (which has beaten us every time so far).

Calus is a pushover now. Now's your chance, DEEP!

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:29 (2277 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:52

Keep in mind that those are the same guys who dropped Calus in 10-15 seconds without the raid armor perks. They had max skulls, ideal class distribution, spot-on timing... it's impressive skill and teamwork, but not what you're going to see in a typical raid group.

The extra damage is great for everyone (I was in a raid lair last night that just missed two-phasing Argos by a sliver), but I think the happiest teams are going to be the ones that have been close to single-phasing Calus without these mods.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:42 (2277 days ago) @ Chappy

Keep in mind that those are the same guys who dropped Calus in 10-15 seconds without the raid armor perks. They had max skulls, ideal class distribution, spot-on timing... it's impressive skill and teamwork, but not what you're going to see in a typical raid group.

In instances like this, it's all about a moment of coordination. Even without perfectly nailing the damage or class distribution, you're going to do some serious damage to Calus, which will make the encounter much easier (and will result in less rotations).
The only thing that success really hinges on is how many Skulls the inside team can stack.

The extra damage is great for everyone (I was in a raid last night that just missed two-phasing Argos by a sliver), but I think the happiest teams are going to be the ones that have been close to single-phasing Calus without these mods.

Who? Remember that some of us are still blind on the rail lair, Spoily McSpoilerpants! :P

And like I said, I think any team is going to be happier having a much more reliable DPS strategy, and less Phases as a result.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:53 (2277 days ago) @ Korny

My apologies! I added a spoiler tag in my original post.

We are on the cusp of putting it aside.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 11:50 (2277 days ago) @ Korny

Magic videos like this don't embolden us.

We have yet to beat the Gauntlet and have tried many times. Argos final stages seem insurmountable but we're still trying. 2x2 hours per week. The new Masterworks armor may help us but Raid gear is seldom seen.

We Raid/Lair for Calus Tokens each week to buy stuff from sweeper bot.

We are committed to continue for 2-3 more weeks and then who knows ... The other guys are already moving to Reach and I like PUBG. D2 will get appropriate attention with the next DLC.

We could enlist a couple of ringers but that would be more reprehensible than putting it aside. We wanted to finish it together like in Wrath of the Machine.

We love Destiny 2 but its end-game doesn't love us. Most of us are in our mid-sixties and I guess everything has its day.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:03 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

We could enlist a couple of ringers but that would be more reprehensible than putting it aside. We wanted to finish it together like in Wrath of the Machine.

I'd be happy to walk you through some encounter strategies sometime in a xbox live chat if you'd like - we could even visit the first encounter in the Leviathan (which is Gauntlet this week). No ringers for the the raid itself (since it'd still be up to you to execute with your group), but perhaps info and strategy from some of us might help?

-Chappy

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:15 (2277 days ago) @ Chappy

I'd be happy to walk you through some encounter strategies sometime in a xbox live chat if you'd like - we could even visit the first encounter in the Leviathan (which is Gauntlet this week). No ringers for the the raid itself (since it'd still be up to you to execute with your group), but perhaps info and strategy from some of us might help?

-Chappy

Thank you for the offer. We watch videos as we progress. Even with media guidance and a member with more extended experience, we have come to agree it is an age related problem. Not that even older people couldn't succeed where we have failed. I figure, you can't throw just any 'old' people together for a Raid team. They all have to be at the top of their game.

It's possible we could succeed if we could play more times a week but that doesn't appear likely.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:18 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:24

-Chappy

Thank you for the offer. We watch videos as we progress. Even with media guidance and a member with more extended experience, we have come to agree it is an age related problem. Not that even older people couldn't succeed where we have failed. I figure, you can't throw just any 'old' people together for a Raid team. They all have to be at the top of their game.

If I played with a group that told themselves that every week, I'd come to believe it, too.

Honestly, DEEP, you'd be foolish not to take Chappy up on his offer. He plays the raids more than anyone I know and can explain them better, too. I try to learn from watching videos, too, but I've yet to find another resource that consistently does what Chappy does, which is present strategies that make the raid safer and easier, not just faster.

I know you've characterized comments in response to you as negative when you express the opinion that you "find the raid is too difficult." (It's rarely stated that mildly, but no matter.) What I've criticized and what I'm put off by now is your fatalism about it. You're a member in good standing here, and there are plenty of people willing to coach you, but you don't ask for help. The best person here who could help offers it, and you dismiss him. SMH.

I mean, what could it harm?

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:50 (2277 days ago) @ Kermit

-Chappy

If I played with a group that told themselves that every week, I'd come to believe it, too.

Honestly, DEEP, you'd be foolish not to take Chappy up on his offer. He plays the raids more than anyone I know and can explain them better, too. I try to learn from watching videos, too, but I've yet to find another resource that consistently does what Chappy does, which is present strategies that make the raid safer and easier, not just faster.

I know you've characterized comments in response to you as negative when you express the opinion that you "find the raid is too difficult." (It's rarely stated that mildly, but no matter.) What I've criticized and what I'm put off by now is your fatalism about it. You're a member in good standing here, and there are plenty of people willing to coach you, but you don't ask for help. The best person here who could help offers it, and you dismiss him. SMH.

You're assuming I haven't read and even used some of Chappy's guides (I meant to put that in my reply). You are wrong. You assume we initially approached the Raid and the Lair with fatalism. You are wrong.

We, as a group, discuss what is holding us back every week. I've personally coached members who wanted to quit because they were being consistently overwhelmed and their confidence was failing. We look for our own workarounds to our own unique problems. We've put plenty of time into this game and it has exceeded its value. D2 is currently bankrupt for us. We'll put more time into it when it has something to offer.

I'm quite disappointed in your reply.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 15:12 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

-Chappy

You're assuming I haven't read and even used some of Chappy's guides (I meant to put that in my reply). You are wrong. You assume we initially approached the Raid and the Lair with fatalism. You are wrong.

No, I'm not. I'm assuming you haven't played with him, which isn't the same as reading his guides. It's a whole 'nother kettle of fish when he's there and can quickly diagnose what's been holding you back.

We, as a group, discuss what is holding us back every week. I've personally coached members who wanted to quit because they were being consistently overwhelmed and their confidence was failing. We look for our own workarounds to our own unique problems. We've put plenty of time into this game and it has exceeded its value. D2 is currently bankrupt for us. We'll put more time into it when it has something to offer.

You look at videos but when someone who is essentially an expert offers to help you with your own unique problems, you refuse. That's your prerogative, I guess, but I can't relate.

I was a little disappointed myself, but not too much. I've wanted to play with you and your group for years, DEEP. A part of me still wants to, but gosh, it sounds kind of miserable, and it's not because of repeated failure. I failed at Calus last week but I had a good time. Failed several nights in a row at Argos. I guess if I always failed I'd get discouraged, but not if I felt I was getting better. I'm not saying I haven't gotten discouraged playing a raid. Lord knows. Generally, though, I tend to believe it's always possible to get better and that there's probably a better strategy I don't know about yet. When I have felt like I've hit a wall, I've asked for help.

Anyway, I hope you have a breakthrough.

ITT

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 17:36 (2277 days ago) @ Kermit

I was a little disappointed myself, but not too much.

[image]

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:52 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by Chappy, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 14:04

No worries; good luck on your next run!

Forgive me, I can't resist being a sherpa :)

I still recommend the 2-teams-of-three approach to the gauntlet. There may be more moving parts, but each individual person is has less to do.

[I don't think I've written up the following strategy for ad clears before, but the team shot opportunities below make staying alive much easier - it wasn't until I started doing this that the Prestige Gauntlet started working]

During the initial ad clear, the 3-man dog team should group up right below the dog triangles, and the 3-man cup team should group up below the cup triangles. Ideally each team has a Stormcaller that can put down a healing rift with arc souls. One person should focus on the right side ad door, and one person should focus on the left side ad door, killing enemies as they spawn. The third should swap between the doors, helping to team-shot. After 3-4 waves, the ads will stop spawning – the entire team of three should run to the next quadrant of the room (dogs move to sun, cup moves to axes). It helps if one person on each team calls out ""dog shift/cup shift" to coordinate the movement. There will already be 6-8 enemies in the next quadrant, but a single roaming super can clean all of them up quickly (three people in the team and three running cycles = everyone can use a super once). There will be one wave of 2-3 ads before the yellow bar spawns. Team-shot the yellow bar. Rockets, sword, grenade launcher, whatever works to drop him quick. Immediately run back to Dog/Cup, as the other yellow bar spawned there. The runners should get ready to run, the remaining two should team shot the 2nd yellow bar and then get into their first positions.

The runner should call out the *team* name and the energy location at each barrier, not the symbol above the barrier (e.g. “dog, mid” – even if you’re looking at the axes barrier). The runner doesn’t need to pass through the gap where the psionic energy was located, but they do need to get close enough to replenish their energy. The runner’s thought process should be:

1. Call out “ready” before picking up energy to enter gauntlet
2. Pick up energy close to when the other runner does and before the invisible timer expires
3. Wait for the countdown until the shield drops
4. Begin running to next barrier
5. Look ahead, call out “[team name], [high/mid/low]”
6. Avoid holes in the floor (especially if coming from a high opening)
7. Pick up new energy when barrier falls
8. Pass through an opening
9. Goto step 4

The melee person should wait on the ground between the triangles and the platform. When the call out is made, they should shoot the upper triangle (avoiding the one that was called), and then wait for the runner to pass through the barrier. When they do, a psion spawns that must be meleed. As soon as that happens, the melee person should run to the next quadrant to repeat the process. Assuming a fast runner, the melee person might need to shoot the triangle before they get to where the psion spawns. It’s OK to stop and take that shot before moving into position for the melee (that’s why they get the upper triangle – it’s easier for the melee person to hit from a distance with no cover blocking it). Rinse and repeat 4x. The melee person’s thought process should be:

1. shoot upper triangle (until it goes green)
2. get in position to punch psion when he appears
3. melee psion
4. run to next quadrant
5. Goto step 1

The platform person has an easier job – put your weakest guardians here. They just need to stand on the platform in front of the triangles and shoot the lower triangle (also avoiding the one that was called). As soon as the triangles go green, they should hop off and run to the next quadrant and get on that platform to repeat the process. The platform person’s thought process should be:

1. get on platform
2. shoot lower triangle (until it goes green)
3. run to next quadrant
4. goto step 1

Just as each runner is moving clockwise around the room, his team members are doing the same. One team moves from dogs> sun> cup> axes, and the other moves from cup> axes> dog> sun.

After three running cycles, the entire 6 man fire team will need to pick up energy from the center of the room and run the gauntlet. Since there are not enough energy balls in the gauntlet for everyone to refresh theirs at every barrier, you should alternate by teams. The dog team should not pick up energy at the first, third, and 5th barrier. The cup team should not pick up energy at the second and fourth barrier. If someone falls drastically behind, there will be an extra energy ball available at each barrier. Dog team – “skip the 5th barrier” means jump over the energy balls at the finish line and fly over the finish line – you’ll be teleported out and will probably need to dunk your energy before getting any revives. Cup team – since you’ve got a fresh energy stock at the finish line, you should prioritize revives before dunking. To all runners in the final cycle - the floor panels begin to drop the moment the first guardian picks up energy at the second barrier. If you’re not in front, watch ahead of you and be ready to jump when the person in front gets to that barrier.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 14:54 (2277 days ago) @ Chappy

Thanks.

I am going to look pretty hard at this for clues. Simultaneous pickup of the orbs by the runners is something we could do better. We only have one Warlock and only on Tue. I am used to handling the ads in my section by using Titan thermite and standing in front of the left or right door. That causes all but 3 of my section's ads to come out that door. I turn and finish off the final 3. The yellow bar goes down pretty quick to Sunshot and shotgun. What the others do, I'm not sure but I always tell our runner to help the other guys before me.

I'm reluctant to introduce changes to our group because of the inherent confusion it causes. Just changing from shooting high to low can set us back a whole night's effort. Believe me, when I see a good idea that fits our group, I talk about it.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 15:12 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Heh heh, I know how confusing upper/lower can be. I run raids pretty regularly and it seems that every other group does it the opposite way. Drives me crazy and no one wants to relearn it, so I just ask before every run ;)

Let me know if I can clarify anything. Gamertag is "jchapman".

-Chappy

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, February 02, 2018, 11:04 (2275 days ago) @ Chappy

Heh heh, I know how confusing upper/lower can be. I run raids pretty regularly and it seems that every other group does it the opposite way. Drives me crazy and no one wants to relearn it, so I just ask before every run ;)

And each group thinks it is the most ridiculous idea in the world to do it the other way.

Can confirm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 02, 2018, 19:17 (2275 days ago) @ Vortech

Had my fair share of LFG runs where the "captain" of the group freaks out when I ask how they do it and then offer a strategy he never heard if before when he berates me for not knowing how to do the encounter.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 12:08 (2277 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Magic videos like this don't embolden us.

We have yet to beat the Gauntlet and have tried many times. Argos final stages seem insurmountable but we're still trying. 2x2 hours per week. The new Masterworks armor may help us but Raid gear is seldom seen.

KEEP TRYING! I was convinced we'd never have enough DPS to kill Argus, but we managed to keep getting better and better until we did it.

The gauntlet will eventually 'click' and it'll happen.

YOU CAN DO IT!

^a positive post

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 13:49 (2277 days ago) @ Cody Miller

moreso than mine.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread