Secret History of Mac gaming (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 26, 2018, 11:38 (2273 days ago)

The Secret History of Mac Gaming is out!

https://unbound.com/books/macgaming/

It's got a section on Bungie. The author spoke to Alex Seropian and Eric Klein. Should be a fun read.

Now if I could just finish my own book, where I have so far talked to over 30 Bungie people :-p

Could have sworn I pre-funded this, but…

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:06 (2273 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Secret History of Mac gaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:58 (2272 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To paraphrase Robbie Robertson, this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me.

by Avateur @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 16:58 (2272 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now if I could just finish my own book, where I have so far talked to over 30 Bungie people :-p

George R.R. Martin is gonna be dead before finishing Game of Thrones. You got time for your book. Just don't take as long as he does. :P

Crystal Quest, Specter!?!

by Durandal, Monday, February 26, 2018, 17:55 (2272 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah the nostalgia is strong within me.

Airborne and Art of War are some of the first games I ever played.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 26, 2018, 22:43 (2272 days ago) @ Durandal

The game box for Specter (or specter supreme I forget) was apparently non square. This was the inspiration for the Marathon boxes according to Alex.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 06:16 (2272 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game box for Specter (or specter supreme I forget) was apparently non square. This was the inspiration for the Marathon boxes according to Alex.

Yep! I remember that! it was shorter at the top. It was soooo weird.

Spectre VR

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 07:19 (2272 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[image]

Spectre VR

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 07:29 (2272 days ago) @ narcogen

I remember this

[image]

Maybe not that exact coloring? But then again I was like 5ish when we played that game... so yeah.

[edit] According to Wikipedia I was 4 :-)

Spectre VR

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 07:35 (2272 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I remember this

[image]

Maybe not that exact coloring? But then again I was like 5ish when we played that game... so yeah.

[edit] According to Wikipedia I was 4 :-)

I think that's the box for the original edition of the game. Spectre VR was the sequel.

Spectre VR

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 07, 2018, 15:27 (2263 days ago) @ narcogen

Retailers hated the Marathon boxes, since the thin edges meant they could not be placed like books spine out on store shelves. Often, the boxes for Marathon were simply put on the floor!

More fun facts coming when I finish my stupid book.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 11:37 (2272 days ago) @ Durandal

Likewise, much nostalgia. I spent so much time on Dark Castle. I see many titles that I had forgotten about. Stunt Copter? How many hours did I waste on that as a kid? Amazing, Glider Pro, and Airborne too (if it's what I recall). Crystal Quest, my older brother coded a game called "Space Junk" that was inspired by Crystal Quest. Good times.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:09 (2272 days ago) @ dogcow

Likewise, much nostalgia. I spent so much time on Dark Castle. I see many titles that I had forgotten about. Stunt Copter? How many hours did I waste on that as a kid? Amazing, Glider Pro, and Airborne too (if it's what I recall). Crystal Quest, my older brother coded a game called "Space Junk" that was inspired by Crystal Quest. Good times.

The house editor in Glider Pro was awesome. A friend and I would craft impossible houses for each other to conquer. They just kept getting larger and larger. I think they were bigger than slumberland by the end.

Oh my gosh

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 11:54 (2272 days ago) @ Durandal

All this talk is dredging back memories of all the games I played as a child. This just popped into my head.

[image]

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 13:20 (2271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My 9yo has recently taken his next step in the world of computer programming and has started coding "bits boxes". He wants me to write a "bits box" app for him. These have given me some ideas of things I could do with not too much trouble.

thumbs up!

by Durandal, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:02 (2271 days ago) @ dogcow

Back in the day there was a game, Omega Tank, I think, that let you program your own primitive AI for a tank, and let it loose in an arena to fight another AI tank. You could customize the tanks speed, sensor range, gun, hull, etc. as well.

It was an early introduction to programming for me. To bad I ended up on the hardware side.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread