Hey DBO, whatcha playing? (Gaming)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 11:23 (3877 days ago)

So hey. Taking advantage of the new categories here (thanks admins! It's cool!)

Been playing the new upgrade pack for Borderlands 2. The Raid on Digistruct Peak is like the core Borderlands experience distilled to its essence. I really enjoy it. If anyone out there wants to play sometime, I'd still really like to do it (don't feel shy because of a low level character - power leveling is fun :P ).

Company of Heroes was introduced to me last weekend. Playing tons of skirmishes so far. Man, I see so much of what Halo Wars did in this game. Sadly for HW, CoH is far superior.

Coolest moment so far was baiting a Panther tank around a building with one of my Wolverines, and then having the second Wolverine sneak up behind it and shoot it in the arse. If you haven't played Company of Heroes, where you actually shoot things matters. They are not just hit point sponges. Calliopes are also boss.

Hey DBO, whatcha playing?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 11:52 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

So hey. Taking advantage of the new categories here (thanks admins! It's cool!)

Been playing the new upgrade pack for Borderlands 2. The Raid on Digistruct Peak is like the core Borderlands experience distilled to its essence. I really enjoy it. If anyone out there wants to play sometime, I'd still really like to do it (don't feel shy because of a low level character - power leveling is fun :P ).

Company of Heroes was introduced to me last weekend. Playing tons of skirmishes so far. Man, I see so much of what Halo Wars did in this game. Sadly for HW, CoH is far superior.

Coolest moment so far was baiting a Panther tank around a building with one of my Wolverines, and then having the second Wolverine sneak up behind it and shoot it in the arse. If you haven't played Company of Heroes, where you actually shoot things matters. They are not just hit point sponges. Calliopes are also boss.

I keep dipping my toes into the first Borderlands, but I just can't seem to get into it (and I've convinced myself I need to finish that game before playing BL2. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I need a tour guide.)

Finally playing RDR Undead Nightmare, which I've avoided because I'm not really a zombie kind of guy, but I'm liking it, mainly because you get to spend more time with the great characters. It's always a relief to me though when the sun comes out.

(Here's a question I can't figure out: why do I love the voice acting in RDR but kind of hate it in Borderlands? I don't know.)

I am buying GTA V. I'm not sure why. Maybe because some of what they've said reminds me of what we've heard of Destiny.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 12:16 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

I've convinced myself I need to finish that game before playing BL2. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I need a tour guide.

I think you're wrong! I jumped-in head first to BL2 on PC and Zackdark was my tour guide. Kinda. But it's an awesome game, and doesn't really need much explanation in terms of back story. Also the opening to the game is effing sweet.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 13:31 (3877 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Anyone else here now love The Heavy?

God that band can fucking play. Sweet God almighty.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 14, 2013, 14:49 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

And my tour-guiding so far has been basically letting JD figure the stuff out by himself, while still wiping out every single enemy before he even notices them.

About that, you level 22 already, JD? We need to romp some more!

+1

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 18:41 (3877 days ago) @ ZackDark

I don't remember what level I am. I think 22 sounds right. Also, Mechromancer is OP as hell. It's not even funny!

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:33 (3876 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Nah, it's just careful leveling and picking of weapons.

Also tons of badassery. That helps a lot too.
;)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 13:30 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

I keep dipping my toes into the first Borderlands, but I just can't seem to get into it (and I've convinced myself I need to finish that game before playing BL2. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I need a tour guide.)

You really, really don't need to play the first one. Why do you feel otherwise?

Finally playing RDR Undead Nightmare, which I've avoided because I'm not really a zombie kind of guy, but I'm liking it, mainly because you get to spend more time with the great characters. It's always a relief to me though when the sun comes out.

I never got into RDR, though I understand why it's great. I'm surprised the zombie stuff just doesn't ruin it. I mean... how does it affect it or whatever?

(Here's a question I can't figure out: why do I love the voice acting in RDR but kind of hate it in Borderlands? I don't know.)

BL2 is way better. Handsome Jack makes the game, really.

BL1 is really like... let's throw a bunch of stuff together here and see what sticks. They didn't really know what they I had, I think, because it really was a surprise hit. BL2 is a much more refined, focused, and polished experience.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 09:53 (3875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You really, really don't need to play the first one. Why do you feel otherwise?

Well, for most game series it's probably true, if you want to understand the story. But BL1's story could be summed up in a paragraph, really. And you don't get to know the playable characters at all in BL1. In short, Kermit, I'd say SonofMacPhisto is correct, at least as far as Borderlands goes.

I never got into RDR, though I understand why it's great. I'm surprised the zombie stuff just doesn't ruin it. I mean... how does it affect it or whatever?

I never played the Undead Nightmare stuff, but my understanding was that it was sort of a separate mode?

BL2 is way better. Handsome Jack makes the game, really.

Agreed. BL1 had some good bits (Dr. Zed, Moxxi and General Knoxx in the expansions, and Scooter had a few good lines), but BL2 is clearly better. Handsome Jack is one of the funniest and most well-written villains in recent memory. Thanks, pumpkin.

BL1 is really like... let's throw a bunch of stuff together here and see what sticks. They didn't really know what they I had, I think, because it really was a surprise hit. BL2 is a much more refined, focused, and polished experience.

I'd agree. Some of the characters in BL1 just aren't fun to play at all. BL2 is much more enjoyable.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, September 16, 2013, 17:10 (3875 days ago) @ stabbim

Except for that 'plot twist' at the end of Wildlife Exploitation Reserve. Playing BL1 extensively as that character certainly turned the whole game on its head right there for me.

But I agree that it isn't necessary. At all.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 14:18 (3874 days ago) @ ZackDark

Except for that 'plot twist' at the end of Wildlife Exploitation Reserve. Playing BL1 extensively as that character certainly turned the whole game on its head right there for me.

But I agree that it isn't necessary. At all.

All of the character development comes from BL2 anyway. And sure, maybe the stories you had playing as the characters in BL1 play in a little bit, but you've put on a bright, shiny new BL2 character, so those BL1 stories are already diminishing.

by Hyokin, New York, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 12:02 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Recently bought Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on PS3. Emmy and I have are constantly taken aback at how poorly it sold. The game is freaking beautiful and has like 10,000 years of lore:

[image]

In addition, we've been playing WoW and a bit of Borderlands 2.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 13:57 (3877 days ago) @ Hyokin

Recently bought Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on PS3. Emmy and I have are constantly taken aback at how poorly it sold. The game is freaking beautiful and has like 10,000 years of lore:

[image]

I just had my brother recommend this to me last week. I've seen it in the store, but never saw or heard anything about it. No commercials, no previous recommendations, no advertising. The couple reviews I've now read on it have it pegged at "not-perfect-but-pretty-darn-good!" from my estimation of them. I may have to check it out!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 14:03 (3877 days ago) @ Mr Daax

It didn't strike my fancy, but I know some pretty hardcore devotees. Appears to be the kind of game one might really love after trying, and ergo will develop a cult following. The game, I mean. :P

by Hyokin, New York, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 16:33 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It didn't strike my fancy, but I know some pretty hardcore devotees. Appears to be the kind of game one might really love after trying, and ergo will develop a cult following. The game, I mean. :P

The developers needed like 3 million sales to break even. I think they had like 330,000...

I wasn't really enthralled by it at first, but I tried again and finished the demo. After which, Emmy and I raced to the car and bought a copy. It's really a good game for RPG people, plus you can be pretty and see your face is cutscenes!

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 14:44 (3875 days ago) @ Hyokin

I thought it was pretty damn good game.

It had some rough spots, but it was very pretty, and, more importantly, very fun. I wish it would have sold better, if only because I feel like, as much as I love it, a sequel could have been one of those special games that doesn't happen very often. If they had an opportunity for a sequel, work out some of the kinks, expand some things, it could have been absolutely amazing.

As it stands, I thought it was very fun, and it's absolutely worth picking up.

by Hyokin, New York, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 05:56 (3874 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought it was pretty damn good game.

It had some rough spots, but it was very pretty, and, more importantly, very fun. I wish it would have sold better, if only because I feel like, as much as I love it, a sequel could have been one of those special games that doesn't happen very often. If they had an opportunity for a sequel, work out some of the kinks, expand some things, it could have been absolutely amazing.

As it stands, I thought it was very fun, and it's absolutely worth picking up.

That's the biggest let-down for me is that the possibility of a sequel is practically nonexistent...

I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's a nice combination of the best elements of D&D, WoW, and Fable.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 09:57 (3875 days ago) @ Hyokin

Ya know, I played the demo for that game and loved it. I had my heart set that I was going to buy it, even. The reason I didn't is that I heard how poorly it had done, and that the planned sequels would never happen. This had me anticipating that I would end up starting a story I'd never be able to finish. Now that I think about it, though, that depends on how the story ends in the first game - specifically, whether it stands on its own without a giant cliffhanger. It's hard to judge that without spoiling the story for myself, though. Any thoughts?

by Hyokin, New York, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 07:45 (3874 days ago) @ stabbim

I haven't actually beaten it yet. I think Emmy is nearing the end(ironically, we got it for me to play while she played Borderlands 2) and I will let you know, in a spoiler-free way, if the ending is that sort of cliffhanger.

I would actually be okay with it ending on a cliffhanger because the game is just plain fun. I joined a group of paladins and ended up getting this sweet giant hammer, which I then needed to use to beat a demon beast's head into the ground so he couldn't enter our realm.

...then he offered me power if I joined him instead and killed all the paladin generals.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 12:39 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Skyrim when I get a chance. Specifically the Dragonborn expansion pack at the moment. As someone who fell in love with Morrowind, it has been a great treat to return to Solstheim. Hearing the old music tracks, knowing the layout of the land seeing how the places I knew have changed in 200 years. The faithfulness to the art direction, ambience, and lore continues to make me think Bethesda Studios (not the publisher) is my second favorite game studio. You know who is first. :)

I continue to play some Red Dead with my brother when we can. I've also started Blue Dragon, Ghostbusters, and Alan Wake but have not had the time or temperament to dive my full attention in to any of those yet. I'm a slow gamer and usually only focus on one game till I've exhausted it. Skyrim just provides me with too much relaxing content for my own good. The good thing about being slow - it's very affordable! I'm buying these big games new for $5 to 15 dollars.

GTA looks fun as always, but I won't be able to afford it for some time. What is approaching my budget is Dishonored and Tomb Raider to name a few familiar titles. But I've also got Crackdown and other free games to play sometime. The backlog can be stressful!

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 08:35 (3876 days ago) @ Leviathan

I just got Dragonborn when it was on sale. Same for Witcher 2. Finally got to Chapter 3 in Witcher, I've only searched around for waypoints in Dragonborn.

I also just got an iphone and I've been spending too much time playing Tiny Tower.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 14:37 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm just bouncing from thing to thing. Can't really buy anything new right now. I hear that Halo series is good. I may keep playing through that.

by Quirel, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 14:47 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Welcome to the club!

Take it from me, there are few things more satisfying than destroying a bridge full of M10 tank destroyers and infantry.

Heh. Have a ton of fond memories of that game. One time, when I had first picked up the game, I was playing as the Americans and spied this little tracked thing called a 'Goliath' making a beeline for one of my bunkers.
"Oh, that's cute. Is it a scou-?"
*Goliath reaches the bunker and explodes, destroying the bunker, nearby sandbags, and two nearby squads*
"... I think I'm in love..."

In hindsight, Company of Heroes was my favorite RTS ever, but it was annoyingly easy for two sides to reach a stalemate in multiplayer. Seriously, you know how Hunters absolutely dominate enemy vehicles in Halo Wars? AT guns are even worse.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 14, 2013, 14:54 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Right now, as in literally, as in 'not virtually', I'm playing Far Cry 3 (360). Still very early on, but already surpassed every single expectation of mine.

As JD mentioned, I sometimes hop into Borderlands 2 (PC) with him. I'm also still to wrap up Dishonored (PC), but I'm quite sure I'm near the end, since the boatman gave me a quite ominous goodbye while I raid some sort of superfortress.

And as always, EvE Online is taking the huge chunk of my life it claims.

Also, while no one asked me, I feel obliged to say that I'm reading 'The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke'. My just-bought Kindle informs me I'm currently 13% in, but it already paid itself and the Kindle's price in wonder and enjoyment.

Hey DBO, whatcha READING?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 09:51 (3876 days ago) @ ZackDark

Also, while no one asked me, I feel obliged to say that I'm reading 'The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke'. My just-bought Kindle informs me I'm currently 13% in, but it already paid itself and the Kindle's price in wonder and enjoyment.

If you're a fan of gaming, or RUSH (Mig!). or anything else related to the 80s, or maybe you're old enough to remember the 80s (Mig!), you've gotta read READY PLAYER ONE. I just finished it, and it was a delight. Something on every page made me smile.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 11:03 (3876 days ago) @ Kermit

If you're a fan of gaming, or RUSH (Mig!). or anything else related to the 80s, or maybe you're old enough to remember the 80s (Mig!), you've gotta read READY PLAYER ONE. I just finished it, and it was a delight. Something on every page made me smile.

I enjoyed that one too!

On a fantasy note, I've now read twice a series called "The Riyria Revelations" by Michael J. Sullivan. (Book I, Book II, Book III). Imagine a buddy cop story set in a fantasy world, with an excellent cast of supporting characters. The writer has excellent pacing, is very good with what he reveals and when, and I'll just say that the ending is, IMO, fantastic.

Also, pretty much anything by Brandon Sanderson is awesome.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 11:30 (3876 days ago) @ Mr Daax

So true! I can't wait for Stormlight Archives 2

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 11:39 (3876 days ago) @ Xenos

Yes! If you haven't already, check out his short stories. Legion was particularly good.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:21 (3876 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Yes! If you haven't already, check out his short stories. Legion was particularly good.

Yeah I've heard they are trying to make into a TV series, which could be interesting.

Finished A Wise Man's Fear just recently, very good

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:39 (3876 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Didn't find it as enthralling as the first...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:39 (3876 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Reading is for LOSERS

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 09:04 (3875 days ago) @ Kermit

I kid, of course.

Kate Beaton's "Hark! A Vagrant!" is delightful. I've been spending time there, along with XKCD's "What if?"

by nash, Friday, November 08, 2013, 08:27 (3822 days ago) @ Kermit

It's definitely fun to think about the possibilities for Destiny after reading Ready Player One. =)

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 15:45 (3877 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If anybody wants to play with, send me a friend request GT: TDSpiral. I'd love to do some more Gold runs.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 22:53 (3876 days ago) @ TDSpiral

If anybody wants to play with, send me a friend request GT: TDSpiral. I'd love to do some more Gold runs.

I'm probably pretty terrible, but I enjoyed the handful of firefights I played. Now that the campaign isn't distracting me, I'd be game sometime.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 23:13 (3876 days ago) @ TDSpiral

I suck but I do love ME3 multiplayer

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 15:31 (3876 days ago) @ TDSpiral

ME3 Multiplayer and RDR Multiplayer are my go-to games right now. Payday 2 and BL2 on PC when I can work them in. Also a smattering of casual stuff.

Oh, and Skylanders:Giants with my kids. So much Skylanders. For what it is, it's pretty great.

~M

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 12:57 (3874 days ago) @ TDSpiral

I'll throw a friend request your way and hope to play with you and the others soon. I've sunken a lot of hours into ME3, but a few more couldn't hurt. :p

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 14:17 (3874 days ago) @ Zero

Count me in with this.

THE ENEMY.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 00:39 (3876 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Since March of 2002, we've been an entirely Microsoft console household. That original Xbox was welcomed into our house alongside a copy of Halo 1. In September 2007, I purchased a Halo 3 SE Xbox 360 alongside, you guessed it, Halo 3.

Anyway, as of ~3 weeks ago,

[image]

Well, now I have a PS3 on a wine glass box (you wouldn't believe how perfectly-sized that box is for carrying an Xbox 360 and a few games).

So, what do I think?

Well, I've been acclimating to the controller somewhat easier than I expected. And although I think I prefer the overall ergonomic design of the 360 controller, the DS3 seems to have some advantages. It's more feature-rich, and has astronomically superior build quality.

Anyway, my initial weird impulse buy library:

[image]

I got a Gran Turismo 5 bundle because I felt obligated to try a racing sim at some point. After trying GT5... well, let's just say I've had to cleanse my pallete by firing up the oXbox and playing some Rallisport Challenge. Why anyone wants to play this lethargic realism is beyond me. It's not that there's nothing to playing it, or that it's too easy, because that's totally not the case. It's just... it just doesn't feel good at all.

Infamous 2? Also came with the console, haven't tried it yet.

In the ICO/SOTV collection, all I've done is a brief splash of SOTC. First impression is that the controls are awful, although I was fine with the horse controls that apparantly infuriate some people. I'm going to keep my mind open here and give it some more chances, because I feel like I'm just not "getting it" yet.

Ah, the Journey Collector's Edition. I haven't played Flow yet, but Journey was a beautiful and weirdly uplifting spot of interestingness. And THE ADVENTURES OF ANGRY PETAL SNAKE is... well, I'm not going to call it the best thing ever, but it's substantially more fun than it has any right to be.

The Last of Us. Ah, it didn't feel right buying a PS3 without buying this. I'm not terribly far into it, and my first impressions are... it's okay. Production values are through the roof, but the gameplay simply isn't doing a very good job of drawing me in yet, even if it's clearly very carefully-designed. It feels like it might go in good directions, but it certainly hasn't opened its wings yet.

Final Fantasy: Fanbase Firestorm Edition. My first FF game, and something I bought in an odd decision-making process. I'd watched a Let's Play of it on Youtube, and been intrigued by all the NeoGAF rage. It was a curiosity buy where I didn't expect to actually like playing the game all that much.
But... against my expectations, I'm having quite a good time, and it's engaged me the most out of my new games. It's got issues, including weirdnesses with how/when gameplay mechanics are introduced, and some systems could use streamlining (or elimination; I'm looking at you, "item upgrading"). But the combat system can be diverse and upbeat if you try engage with it, the storytelling is a lot more interesting than people give it credit for (even if it feels like it's been struck by some weirdness and development hell), and it's easily among the most gorgeous games I've ever played.
Thought I'd dislike it, am currently quite liking it despite some rough edges.

THE ENEMY.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:32 (3876 days ago) @ uberfoop

the DS3 seems to have some advantages. It's more feature-rich, and has astronomically superior build quality.

lolwut?

THE ENEMY.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:32 (3876 days ago) @ ZackDark

the DS3 seems to have some advantages. It's more feature-rich, and has astronomically superior build quality.

lolwut?

It's more feature-rich because it has motion sensors and pressure-sensitive buttons.

As for build quality? I'm not saying the DS3 has Gamecube-tier build quality, but being even half-competent already puts you leaps and bounds above most of what Microsoft makes. The controller feels solid and is tightly constructed, with precisely-sized external components. Everything on it seems to be working as intended.
By contrast, of the four 360 controllers I've purchased this gen, two have been defective in very significant ways. One has a massive, lopsided dead zone on the right analogue stick and a minor case of slow turn; the other had a really nasty case of slow turn. The latter of those I was able to repair into a perfectly acceptable state, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to spend over an hour hacking away at a plastic front plate to make a controller useable. The dead zone issue is probably fairly rare, but slow turn is absolutely not, because Microsoft can't consistently produce correctly-sized pieces of plastic.

THE ENEMY.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:42 (3876 days ago) @ uberfoop

D'oh!

I was somehow unable to remember the DS3 and was thinking about the DS2, that odd piece of hollow plastic. I agree with you there, the DS3 has a much more solid feel than most gaming controllers I've used.

THE ENEMY.

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 14:19 (3876 days ago) @ uberfoop

It's more feature-rich because it has motion sensors and pressure-sensitive buttons.

I own both systems, but do most of my gaming on the 360. What PS3 games have made a compelling argument for including the motion sensor and pressure-senstivity features? Honest question. MGS4, maybe? (I never played it.)

As for build quality? I'm not saying the DS3 has Gamecube-tier build quality, but being even half-competent already puts you leaps and bounds above most of what Microsoft makes. The controller feels solid and is tightly constructed, with precisely-sized external components. Everything on it seems to be working as intended.
By contrast, of the four 360 controllers I've purchased this gen, two have been defective in very significant ways. One has a massive, lopsided dead zone on the right analogue stick and a minor case of slow turn; the other had a really nasty case of slow turn. The latter of those I was able to repair into a perfectly acceptable state, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to spend over an hour hacking away at a plastic front plate to make a controller useable. The dead zone issue is probably fairly rare, but slow turn is absolutely not, because Microsoft can't consistently produce correctly-sized pieces of plastic.

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've been very happy with my 360 controllers. I might not be pro enough to recognize a slow turn problem though.

Still, I have to disagree with you about the DS3 controller feeling "solid and tightly constructed". To me, it feels like a cheap plastic shell that I could snap in two if I twisted my hands hard enough. The two halves of the body creak when you put pressure on them. The 360 controller is the one I'd describe as a solid and tightly constructed whole; it's much more ergonomic too.

I suppose it just comes down to personal preference and opinions though.

THE ENEMY.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 16:20 (3876 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've been very happy with my 360 controllers. I might not be pro enough to recognize a slow turn problem though.

Still, I have to disagree with you about the DS3 controller feeling "solid and tightly constructed". To me, it feels like a cheap plastic shell that I could snap in two if I twisted my hands hard enough. The two halves of the body creak when you put pressure on them. The 360 controller is the one I'd describe as a solid and tightly constructed whole; it's much more ergonomic too.

I suppose it just comes down to personal preference and opinions though.

Sure you're not thinking of the sixaxis?
Because that most certainly is awful and cheap feeling controller.
Hated it.
The DS3 is fine in my book though, save for slightly awkward triggers.

THE ENEMY.

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 16:35 (3876 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Sure you're not thinking of the sixaxis?
Because that most certainly is awful and cheap feeling controller.
Hated it.
The DS3 is fine in my book though, save for slightly awkward triggers.

Heh, I'm sure. :P

I even checked before making that post - the controller here in my hands clearly says DUALSHOCK 3. (It also says SIXAXIS, but I know that name is commonly used to refer to the original, rumble-less PS3 controller - which I've never owned.)

It's not the worst controller I've ever had, but relative to my 360 controllers it definitely feels more flimsy and cheap.

THE ENEMY.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:58 (3875 days ago) @ uberfoop

Ah, the Journey Collector's Edition. I haven't played Flow yet, but Journey was a beautiful and weirdly uplifting spot of interestingness.

Flow is worse than Journey. It's worse then Fez even. I'd say the only indie game flow is better than is Passage.

THE ENEMY.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:53 (3875 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah, the Journey Collector's Edition. I haven't played Flow yet, but Journey was a beautiful and weirdly uplifting spot of interestingness.

Flow is worse than Journey. It's worse then Fez even. I'd say the only indie game flow is better than is Passage.

[image]

But I really liked FEZ.

THE ENEMY.

by kapowaz, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:58 (3875 days ago) @ Mr Daax

But I really liked FEZ.

Lots of people did. I think it's a wonderful little game.

THE ENEMY.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:36 (3875 days ago) @ uberfoop

Well, I've been acclimating to the controller somewhat easier than I expected. And although I think I prefer the overall ergonomic design of the 360 controller, the DS3 seems to have some advantages. It's more feature-rich, and has astronomically superior build quality.

360 definitely has a better feel. Not sure if I'd agree on the build quality, I think the DS3 feels a bit flimsy. Granted, I have gone through 3 or 4 360 controllers and still have my original DS3, but that could be due to how much more time I spend on the 360. Side note: one of the things I like most about the PS4 is how much they've apparently designed the controller to be like a 360's. Some might call it copycatting, I just think Sony figured out what their old design was lacking and fixed it. There's no shame in that.

I got a Gran Turismo 5 bundle because I felt obligated to try a racing sim at some point. After trying GT5... well, let's just say I've had to cleanse my pallete by firing up the oXbox and playing some Rallisport Challenge. Why anyone wants to play this lethargic realism is beyond me. It's not that there's nothing to playing it, or that it's too easy, because that's totally not the case. It's just... it just doesn't feel good at all.

As a big fan of racing sims, I think the hitch is that you have to be really into the nuances of driving and vehicle dynamics to enjoy them. Precisely controlling throttle to get (or reduce) wheelspin, trail-braking into a corner to shift weight onto the front tires, these are the things sim-drivers live for. Sims don't really give the same experience that most action (or even non-sim driving) video games are going for. If you're not into that, racing sims are probably not going to be very gratifying. And no, they're definitely not easy. Learning to get a car around a corner properly is extremely hard, and probably off-putting unless you're very interested in the topic.

Having said that, I still maintain that Rallisport Challenge 2 is the greatest rally game ever created. The lack of 360 BC for that game is a major sore point for me. Not sure if you play that one or RalliSport Challenge 1 (which is also a great game).

Infamous 2? Also came with the console, haven't tried it yet.

Not sure about 2, but I played the original and enjoyed it a lot. Thinking back, in some ways it reminds me of Just Cause 2 - large open world, huge freedom of movement, satisfying combat, and somewhat repetitive side missions.

In the ICO/SOTV collection, all I've done is a brief splash of SOTC. First impression is that the controls are awful, although I was fine with the horse controls that apparantly infuriate some people. I'm going to keep my mind open here and give it some more chances, because I feel like I'm just not "getting it" yet.

Probably. I actually felt like the controls were pretty solid once you get used to them. Maybe try playing Ico first to get used to the movement style?

There was more to your message, but I have no knowledge of those last 3 games, so I'll end here.

Borderlands 2 with my Dad

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 09:35 (3876 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Outside of that, Halo 4 Ricochet and also a few visits to the VMGS to check out the Oculus Rift as well as attend the "Learn how to DOTA" event.

Not sure I'm going to get into DOTA but I definitely appreciate being able to watch it and to know what's going on now.

The rift was amazing. Super excited that Sony is looking into VR for PS4.

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:09 (3876 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Still fumbling my way through Red Dead Redemption - I am REALLY bad at this game. I rode into a river and both my horse and I exploded into death. It was unfortunate.

I recently played Shelter which I LOVED. Such a gorgeous game. It's very relaxing, up until the eagle. And the Thing In The Dark stole two of my cubs in my current playthrough so I have a bit of a vendetta against the second level. I'm tempted to buy the full Papers Please game too since the demo was so much fun.

Still enjoying Minecraft with the xbox and chasing after the railroad achievement.

And still stuck somewhere in Monkey Island.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 21:08 (3875 days ago) @ Jillybean

You play adventure games like a cow.

by Jillybean, Monday, September 16, 2013, 10:18 (3875 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You play adventure games like a cow.

Ironically enough!

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 16:18 (3876 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Started play Persona 4 Arena today.
Have had it for a while, but couldn't find my arcade stick, so I held off really playing it.

Fun stuff, for a Persona fan anyway.

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 19:19 (3875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Sunset Riders Arcade. Finally got my 1CC.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 09:40 (3875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Lots of Forza 4. Only a couple of months until Forza 5, so I'm trying to tune up and use a bunch of the cars that I've owned for a while but never drove much (mostly because I didn't have them tuned, or had tuned them poorly). I kind of feel bad because there are some cars I got when the game first came out, and I've just never used them at all. I'm also trying to get the "bucket list" achievement for winning every event in the career mode. I am nearly done tuning all my cars now, so I should be making progress on the bucket list soon!

I'm also getting back into ME3 multiplayer a bit. Lotsa bugs and some irritating control issues, but when it works the core combat in that game is among the most satisfying things I've ever played.

Just Cause 2. My roommate has owned this game on PS3 for some time, and I've played it a bunch there, but recently decided I wanted to have the achievements on my XBL profile to advertise my enthusiasm for the game. And I also wanted to buy it, to pay the developers for all the fun I've had with their game. So, I bought it from GoD. I have to say, if you've never tried it, give it a shot. Gameplay-wise, naturally some will like it and some won't, though I personally find it very enjoyable. But I think everyone should see it at least once, just to appreciate the technical achievement. The sheer scale of the place is beyond anything else I've played (well, except Eve online, but that's mostly just empty space).

I wish I was still playing BL2. It's just that I worked so hard to get all the right items so my characters would play just the way I wanted them, and now I'm being asked to pay money so that I can have to do that all over again with 6 characters, just to get them back where they were at before. Argh. I do wish that I could play the new raid without that requirement, because it sounds fun. And I wouldn't mind the extra skill points.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 08:35 (3873 days ago) @ stabbim

I wish I was still playing BL2. It's just that I worked so hard to get all the right items so my characters would play just the way I wanted them, and now I'm being asked to pay money so that I can have to do that all over again with 6 characters, just to get them back where they were at before. Argh. I do wish that I could play the new raid without that requirement, because it sounds fun. And I wouldn't mind the extra skill points.

Well, I caved (said with the same tone of voice as "Welp, my wife's dead"). Turned out I had some funds left over on XBL, and I got bored because between GTA V and Borderlands 2, none of my XBL friends were playing anything that I was. So my mechromancer is now level 62, I hope you're happy SonofMacPhisto. ;)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 12:58 (3872 days ago) @ stabbim

I'd say it's well worth your five bucks. I'm ok with DLC like this as long as it shows an evolution on the part of the devs, which, this clearly does.

The Digistruct course is really, really, really fine tuned for four players. Once you crank up the overpower levels, you need to be sharp. No Rambo-ing through it all rocket-blasting your way to Second Winds. No sir.

Also, as a Commando, I've noticed it putting a much greater focus on your Action Skill. Instead of a cool bonus, it's a core to my strategy.

Two-manning Digistruct is also great fun. The failure and success of running it with my Siren-spouse have already been enshrined in our Hall of Gaming Achievements. It's also proof we are Hardcore, but that's another story for another day.

by Zero @, Florida, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 14:00 (3872 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

The Digistruct course is really, really, really fine tuned for four players. Once you crank up the overpower levels, you need to be sharp. No Rambo-ing through it all rocket-blasting your way to Second Winds. No sir.

Yeah, I've been finding it increasingly difficult beyond Overpower 1 & 2 and you just can't do it alone, which sucks because I've got no one to play it with anymore and beyond those 2 levels you're guaranteed to go down at least once if not more.

Also, as a Commando, I've noticed it putting a much greater focus on your Action Skill. Instead of a cool bonus, it's a core to my strategy.

As a Commando, I've found myself going back and re-doing my skill trees several times for the right combination. Sucks that I've had to give up my nuclear blast turrets, but double turrets with double guns that fire slag has been turning out pretty well so far.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 14:54 (3872 days ago) @ Zero

Yeah, I've been finding it increasingly difficult beyond Overpower 1 & 2 and you just can't do it alone, which sucks because I've got no one to play it with anymore and beyond those 2 levels you're guaranteed to go down at least once if not more.

My GT is SonofMacPhisto on LIVE, if that's where you play.

As a Commando, I've found myself going back and re-doing my skill trees several times for the right combination. Sucks that I've had to give up my nuclear blast turrets, but double turrets with double guns that fire slag has been turning out pretty well so far.

That's the build I use too, with Maglock and Longbow. Once I score a Slagga though, the nukes are coming back baby!

Singularity grenade + Slagga + nukes = win

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 19, 2013, 16:46 (3872 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You forgot The Bee.

The Bee + Slagga is the bomb.
Only thing that's more overpowered is a Gaige with The Bee ad all those RoF skills. JD knows.

by Zero @, Florida, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 18:12 (3872 days ago) @ ZackDark

You forgot The Bee.

The Bee + Slagga is the bomb.
Only thing that's more overpowered is a Gaige with The Bee ad all those RoF skills. JD knows.

The Slagga huh? Well it's a good thing I haven't even started the Clan War yet. So far I've been using a Florentine + Bee for all my SMG needs and it is not bad at all. Shock + Slag on the same weapon is kind of amazing. Although, a 3 for 1 deal with a massive clip size on the Slagga? I've got to get my hands on that!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 20, 2013, 06:42 (3871 days ago) @ Zero

Yeah, the Slagga is more like the slime guns from Ghostbusters 2 than anything else. The spread on it is absurdly great. SLAG ERRBODY.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 12:04 (3870 days ago) @ Zero

Good games, bro.

I'm trying to decide if my favorite part was running around with two Saturns chasing me, or watching the snipe-doom of Husker.

Ni No Kuni!

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 14:40 (3875 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I finally finished Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 (both fantastic), and picked up the new Splinter Cell. It's much, much better than I expected. Granted, I loved Conviction where most people didn't. I really do pine for a return to the gameplay of Chaos Theory (still one of my favorite games of all time), and I miss Michael Ironside as Sam, but I guess the franchise has really moved on from that. While it's possible to Ghost every level (I'm only a few missions in, so I guess I don't know that), I feel like it's still missing something that Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory got so right.

But I also picked up Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and holy crap, it's amazing. The art design is absolutely gorgeous. I am completely enthralled. The gameplay is just fantastic and pretty refreshing. If you're an RPG fan and own a PS3, you're doing yourself a disservice by not owning this game. It's just great in pretty much every way.

Other than that, I'm debating picking up GTA V tomorrow, but I think I'm going to pass for a while. I'm getting ready to drop $1500 for a new gaming PC, I've got an Xbox One pre-ordered, and with Splinter Cell and Ni No Kuni, I just don't foresee having much time to play it. Eventually I'll get it, fingers crossed for a PC version at some point, I guess.

Now? GTA

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:22 (3873 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

it feels right.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread