Buy the new Star Wars movie on Blu-Ray. (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 21:27 (2228 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 21:30

Or rent it. It's got very interesting bonus features.

I know there's a subthread arguing about star wars below, but I want this to not be an argument thread.

I've never seen anything like it. Mark Hamill spends every second on screen trashing the plot, and passive agressively saying things like that he disavows the film and the character but it's not his character anyway so who cares. Other interviews with cast have similar thinly veiled attacks on the movie. This kind of stuff I never see on special features.

The director subtly, in the commentary, explains that he chose to do things because they were wrong. The scoundrel NOT having a heart of gold. Luke, the symbol of hope, becoming a hopeless old man. He says he structured the film like ESB, but with little things that were very NOT Star Wars, but making them Star Warsy.

He very much made it his own film, and put in references to Zork, 1970s British sitcoms, and shoved gags in.

I'm not sure I have ever seen special features both confirm everything the people who loved the movie loved, and everything the people who hated the movie hated, as intentional and designed to elicit that.

The director seemed to realize the things he did deliberately that felt wrong to many of us would do that, but that we would be pleasantly surprised at the result instead of being upset.

I like the movie, but think it's easily worse than the other films. However, the special features are astonishing. If you have a gripe about any part of the movie, I bet there's something in the special features that talks about why they did it, and vice versa to parts you loved.

There hasn't been a movie worth buying for the special features IMO since The Hobbit films, but this is one. And again, not for the quality or quantity (around 2.5 hours plus commentary), but to just see and hear what he was thinking and what the crew was doing. Amazing.

Buy the new Star Wars movie on Blu-Ray.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 21:45 (2228 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was already planning on it, but this made me even more excited.

by Jillybean, Friday, March 23, 2018, 15:49 (2226 days ago) @ Funkmon

I went and found my log in for the email I registered to this forum on to retrieve my forum password and reset it, meanwhile going through a backlog of b.org emails I haven't looked at since 2007 to tell you how wrong you are. The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire and you need to check yourself, Funk.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 23, 2018, 16:32 (2226 days ago) @ Jillybean

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire and you need to check yourself, Funk.

Thank you! I was starting to think I was alone in some Bizzarro land here.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 23, 2018, 17:10 (2226 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I feel like it's very polarizing, exactly because of what the BTS stuff says. (Also much love here for it)

Welcome back, Jilly!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 23, 2018, 17:39 (2226 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire and you need to check yourself, Funk.

Thank you! I was starting to think I was alone in some Bizzarro land here.

We've had tons of discussions about Star Wars and The Last Jedi (a big one a few days ago even!). You should know that there are a bunch of us around here that love it by now.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 23, 2018, 17:40 (2226 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

I wish you weren't a liar

by Funkmon @, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 10:35 (2225 days ago) @ Jillybean

SW

ROTS

ESB

TPM

AOTC

RO

TFA

ROTJ

TLJ

LET'S FIGHT

You should be in jail.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 10:54 (2225 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

They could serve him socks for dinner

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 11:35 (2225 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

He wouldn't eat them anyway

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 21:50 (2225 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Did you just randomize their order???

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 16:22 (2225 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

ROFL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 16:38 (2225 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Where does the Holiday Special fit in here?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 19:01 (2225 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Best Star Wars video Games

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 00:27 (2225 days ago) @ CyberKN

1. TIE Fighter
2. Rebel Assault II
3. Dark Forces
4. X-Wing
5. Yoda Stories Super Empire Strikes Back

1. Rogue Leader. 2. Tiny Death Star. End of list.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 03:22 (2225 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 06:12 (2224 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. TIE Fighter
2. Rebel Assault II
3. Dark Forces
4. X-Wing

1. KOTOR
2. Battlefront 2 (Xbox/PS2)
3. Rogue Squadron
4. Jedi Knight 2
5. The Force Unleashed on PSP (Seriously... it’s a completely different game than the Xbox360/PS3 version, and it’s fantastic)

SW Lego games are the best by far

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 08:02 (2224 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 08:24 (2224 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

1. TIE Fighter
2. Rebel Assault II
3. Dark Forces
4. X-Wing

1. KOTOR
3. Rogue Squadron
4. Jedi Knight 2
5. The Force Unleashed on PSP (Seriously... it’s a completely different game than the Xbox360/PS3 version, and it’s fantastic)

That neither of you tops your list with Republic Commando invalidates both of your posts... FOH.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 08:43 (2224 days ago) @ Korny

1. TIE Fighter
2. Rebel Assault II
3. Dark Forces
4. X-Wing

1. KOTOR
3. Rogue Squadron
4. Jedi Knight 2

That neither of you tops your list with Republic Commando invalidates both of your posts... FOH.

HOLY CRAP, I FORGOT!

You’re totally right. Republic Commando has gotta be on there. I’d have a tough time choosing between that and KotOR for top spot. They’re both so good!

Agreed, #1 is definitely TIE fighter

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 20:29 (2224 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

ALPHA ONE - TARGET DESTROYED

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 02, 2018, 19:05 (2216 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 24, 2018, 16:47 (2225 days ago) @ Jillybean

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire

[image]

It's a well made movie, that's bad at being a movie. If it was a video game, I think the result MAY have been different. Ugh.

Also, shame on all of you for making me think about this fucking movie. I literally feel a need to go barf now.

HISHE really nails it

by Durandal, Monday, March 26, 2018, 08:49 (2223 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Pretty much have HISHE write and direct the movies. TLJ was a waste of a franchise and every time I've watched it I only see more flaws and wasted potential.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder then with this one.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 26, 2018, 12:41 (2223 days ago) @ Durandal

They just nailed into visual words things that I was feeling, but I at the time couldn't seem to form. Who knew character interaction that makes sense was so important?

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 26, 2018, 13:25 (2223 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

They just nailed into visual words things that I was feeling, but I at the time couldn't seem to form. Who knew character interaction that makes sense was so important?

I enjoy those videos for a laugh, but... I mean... if the movie actually played out like that, I’d think it were just about the dumbest thing imaginable, lol.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 26, 2018, 14:05 (2223 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I enjoy those videos for a laugh, but... I mean... if the movie actually played out like that, I’d think it were just about the dumbest thing imaginable, lol.

No, you’re right. That was definitely worthy of a B- in a high school creative writing class.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, March 26, 2018, 16:39 (2223 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The fact that HISHE is even a thing is kind of ironic, given that in almost all cases the value is in the contrast to released endings and doesn’t possess much merit but poking fun. Whether the poked fun is good or not.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 26, 2018, 17:42 (2223 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're definitely wrong about that. Space Balls 2: The Quest for More Money is a parody masterpiece that needs to be made. Yet since we don't have that, HESHE does a OK job.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 26, 2018, 18:12 (2223 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's pure fan service ignoring the entire rest of the film. AND it fails at even THAT because they didn't have Luke lift the X-Wing out of the water in a nod to empire.

Would you be open to outlining its merits?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 13:09 (2224 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

Here are some from me.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 25, 2018, 16:18 (2224 days ago) @ Kermit

It came to the conclusion that George Lucas appeared to be getting to and Yoda also seemed to think. The ways of the Jedi caused their downfall. Luke realized that. That being said, I don't think he would have acted how he did in the movie.

It dumped a lot of JJ Abrams' mystery box stuff, which Cody was right about and I didn't know it pissed me off. Mystery for the sake of mystery, you know.

The special effects were amazing. You know those horse things? Those we're PRACTICAL.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread