Indie Game Exam Question 2 (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 12:15 (3841 days ago)

The only game created by this short lived indie studio. Name the game and the studio.

Hint: Unlike most indie games, this one was technically stunning on release.

In that respect, the prize is a somewhat recent indie game that may tax your computer.

http://www.bombingtheuniverse.net/audio/Indie_Q2.mp3

Indie Game Exam Question 2

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 21, 2013, 13:41 (3840 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Stealth Bastard by Curve Studios?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 17:14 (3840 days ago) @ ZackDark

Stealth Bastard by Curve Studios?

Nope.

Remember the hint: at the time of release the game was extremely impressive technically. Stealth Bastard doesn't look that technically impressive for a 2011 PC release :-p

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 21, 2013, 18:02 (3840 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Remember the hint: at the time of release the game was extremely impressive technically. Stealth Bastard doesn't look that technically impressive for a 2011 PC release :-p

I don't quite agree, but I wouldn't make a fuss of it anyways, so you're probably right. Any other tips?

by Quirel, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 20:00 (3840 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The only game created by this short lived indie studio. Name the game and the studio.

In that respect, the prize is a somewhat recent indie game that may tax your computer.

Mmm. Preferred the previous exam question, because it was based more upon critiquing/defending your critique.

Stunning upon release, because of its technical merits? Only release by the studio, which then closed down?

I'm going to guess... Gunmetal, by Mad Genius Software. Founded 1995, dissolved four years later.
Gunmetal was a PC FPS with realistic lighting and partial reflections for water, pretty good for a 1998 release. It also had a digital soundtrack and a sci-fi setting, which matches up with the soundbite you provided.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 22:57 (3840 days ago) @ Quirel

Mmm. Preferred the previous exam question, because it was based more upon critiquing/defending your critique.

I did too, but the prize for this one just lined itself up. The final question will be an essay question ;-)

Stunning upon release, because of its technical merits? Only release by the studio, which then closed down?

I'm going to guess... Gunmetal, by Mad Genius Software. Founded 1995, dissolved four years later.
Gunmetal was a PC FPS with realistic lighting and partial reflections for water, pretty good for a 1998 release. It also had a digital soundtrack and a sci-fi setting, which matches up with the soundbite you provided.

Nope. If nobody gets it I'll post more hints.

Hint 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 21:09 (3839 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is an animal in both the game's title, and the developer's name. Not necessarily the same in each.

Hint 2

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 23:14 (3839 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is an animal in both the game's title, and the developer's name. Not necessarily the same in each.

Oh, oh, oh! No... wait... I'm guessing Crash Bandicoot by Naughty Dog doesn't count as an indie game...

Hint 2

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, September 23, 2013, 07:43 (3839 days ago) @ Leviathan

Oh, oh, oh! No... wait... I'm guessing Crash Bandicoot by Naughty Dog doesn't count as an indie game...

I wouldn't. Also, while 'short-lived' is subjective, that studio definitely isn't.

Hint 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2013, 07:59 (3839 days ago) @ ZackDark

I wouldn't. Also, while 'short-lived' is subjective, that studio definitely isn't.

It would count! The studio was independent until Sony bought them in 2001. Crash Bandicoot was released in 1996.

But he doesn't win because it's not the game the music's from.

FINAL HINT

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 15:01 (3836 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a superhero game.

FINAL HINT

by Quirel, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 18:36 (3836 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Superhero game?

Hmm...

So nobody got it!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:32 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Essay question for the last one of these then :-p

The correct answer is the Adventures of Batman and Robin by ClockWork Tortoise on the Sega Genesis.

Never heard of it.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:52 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:17 (3835 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Also...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 26, 2013, 18:18 (3835 days ago) @ ZackDark

Batman isn't a superhero. Your hint was misleading.

:p

So nobody got it!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 19:08 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is that the side scrolling one where you could throw and endless supply of weak batarangs? If so, I own that! And even beat it once!

So nobody got it!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 27, 2013, 09:34 (3835 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is that the side scrolling one where you could throw and endless supply of weak batarangs? If so, I own that! And even beat it once!

Not so weak if you powered them up! But yes that's it. YOU COULD HAVE WON DUDE.

So nobody got it!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 27, 2013, 09:48 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I knew I'd heard the music from somewhere... Couldn't place it though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread