Faction Rally...Timing and Pledging (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 10:07 (2159 days ago)

So I really liked how Faction Rally played this week, but I do have to chime in and gripe a bit about the grind to 50. Unfortunately, this week contained a lot of work and a wedding to travel cross-country for, so I wasn't able to get even half way to 50. Considering it is an account-wide pledge and the rally only runs three times, it is VERY difficult to conceivably acquire all of the goods. Wish that either the rally lasted longer, had ways to participate in a much lesser fashion between rallies, or didn't have a strict of requirements for pledging and attaining gear.

I just don't get into week long events

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 10:31 (2159 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

So I really liked how Faction Rally played this week, but I do have to chime in and gripe a bit about the grind to 50. Unfortunately, this week contained a lot of work and a wedding to travel cross-country for, so I wasn't able to get even half way to 50. Considering it is an account-wide pledge and the rally only runs three times, it is VERY difficult to conceivably acquire all of the goods. Wish that either the rally lasted longer, had ways to participate in a much lesser fashion between rallies, or didn't have a strict of requirements for pledging and attaining gear.

I simply can not afford the time to play every night, so I just will never care about rewards that require me to grind something out over a week. Part of the reason I got into SRL was because it lasted soooo long.

There are options to make it way more efficient.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:16 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I simply can not afford the time to play every night, so I just will never care about rewards that require me to grind something out over a week. Part of the reason I got into SRL was because it lasted soooo long.

I know I griped about account-wide pledging initally, but I have to say I really love the depth they've added to rallies.

For those that don't feel they have the time, just collect the armor at first. Copping four renown off of a Heroic Public Event and then killing just one high value target or completing one patrol makes pulling full renown really easy. If you plan out what you're going to do (ie Dead Orbit Titans in full gear on Io fighting Taken), a lot of the unlock goals stack. And at that rate you'll likely hit 50 before you hit all the goals, so then you can narrow your focus from that point. And you snag a whole bunch of faction-specific weapons while you're at it. The full-suit bonuses are getting people to dress up for the prom again, just like D1 Iron Banner used to do. I think it's a great touch.

I started off this rally with probably 3 pieces of the DO set, so I was able to take advantage pretty quickly. I ran into more than a few people who had the full set except for the Mark/Bond/Cape; and were struggling because it wouldn't drop for them. It seems like for folks in that boat, the next Rally should go smoother. Given they pledge the same way, I guess.

But looking at it from that perspective, there's still a way to be able to pledge multiple factions in a season and get most (if not all) gear and weapons.

~M

I only had time to cash in full renown 3 times this week

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:42 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate

I know I griped about account-wide pledging initally, but I have to say I really love the depth they've added to rallies.

For those that don't feel they have the time, just collect the armor at first. Copping four renown off of a Heroic Public Event and then killing just one high value target or completing one patrol makes pulling full renown really easy. If you plan out what you're going to do (ie Dead Orbit Titans in full gear on Io fighting Taken), a lot of the unlock goals stack. And at that rate you'll likely hit 50 before you hit all the goals, so then you can narrow your focus from that point. And you snag a whole bunch of faction-specific weapons while you're at it. The full-suit bonuses are getting people to dress up for the prom again, just like D1 Iron Banner used to do. I think it's a great touch.

I started off this rally with probably 3 pieces of the DO set, so I was able to take advantage pretty quickly. I ran into more than a few people who had the full set except for the Mark/Bond/Cape; and were struggling because it wouldn't drop for them. It seems like for folks in that boat, the next Rally should go smoother. Given they pledge the same way, I guess.

But looking at it from that perspective, there's still a way to be able to pledge multiple factions in a season and get most (if not all) gear and weapons.

~M

Just a matter of life the past week. I didn't even get to turn in my tokens, so I'll see what they have next Rally I guess... There's almost no way I'm hitting 50 in multiple let alone one faction.

I'm not all that fussed about it, I don't care about collecting everything unless that a particular thing is meta. The only negative for me is I enjoy the idea of the factions, I just usually have life get in the way of focusing on any particular single week long event.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:48 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just a matter of life the past week. I didn't even get to turn in my tokens, so I'll see what they have next Rally I guess... There's almost no way I'm hitting 50 in multiple let alone one faction.

I'm not all that fussed about it, I don't care about collecting everything unless that a particular thing is meta. The only negative for me is I enjoy the idea of the factions, I just usually have life get in the way of focusing on any particular single week long event.

I hear you. With respect to the meta, the only thing I'm aware of that came out of the rally that would affect it are the catalysts. I haven't heard of any specific faction weapons that dominate. Although I've really enjoyed playing with Truthteller (blind/staggering pro-pipe) and Escape Velocity (high ROF sub w/melee reload).

~M

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:51 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate

Escape Velocity (high ROF sub w/melee reload).

Speaking of which, I never did get mine. 50 damn reward packages and not a single one had that. Do we know if they're going into the normal engrams' loot pool at some point?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 12:30 (2159 days ago) @ stabbim

Escape Velocity (high ROF sub w/melee reload).

Speaking of which, I never did get mine. 50 damn reward packages and not a single one had that. Do we know if they're going into the normal engrams' loot pool at some point?

I haven't heard. I would suggest they just put the full menu of faction weapons up for sale once the rally is over. Just charge for them in faction tokens. Seems like an easy fix for folks that committed to the grind and didn't get what they hoped for.

~M

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 20:31 (2152 days ago) @ Malagate

I agree, generally. Although in my case, I hardly have any faction tokens left, on account of having spent them all trying to rank up (and get that damn SMG).

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 12:44 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate

Grenade launchers like Truthteller will regularly be in what is right now the energy weapon slot for me as soon as the new weapons system is launched. I like Fighting Lion, but I would like to have a grenade launcher there without taking up an exotic spot.

I long for full time factions.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 12:26 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Return to D1 style factions. Doing any activity earns you Rep with your pledged faction, which you can change at will like in D1. Earn weapons and gear and shaders and whatever else whenever you play.

Then bring Faction Rally back like now. You cannot change your pledge for the full week. Rallies could have an exclusive shader, maybe exclusive ornaments or even select weapons or gear. Give them neat exclusive things to work for during rallies, but let folks earn the baseline gear and shaders and weapons whenever they want.

I had no FWC gear for my Warlock, and I didn’t get a full set until I was around Rank 25. So I spent half the rally without being able to earn certain ornaments or get the Renown bonus.

I think i'd enjoy something similar.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 12:53 (2159 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Return to D1 style factions. Doing any activity earns you Rep with your pledged faction, which you can change at will like in D1. Earn weapons and gear and shaders and whatever else whenever you play.

Then bring Faction Rally back like now. You cannot change your pledge for the full week. Rallies could have an exclusive shader, maybe exclusive ornaments or even select weapons or gear. Give them neat exclusive things to work for during rallies, but let folks earn the baseline gear and shaders and weapons whenever they want.

1. Your account pledges to a Faction (You can change at any time other than during a Rally Week).
2. Do bounties/challenges for the Faction to earn Rep all the time.
3. Leveling up works like it does now, random drops from engrams.
4. Make base armor buyable if you don't get things from engrams.
5. Faction Rallies are for chasing ornaments & shaders, winning Faction still gets their weapon for sale.
6. Ornaments are not locked behind a Rep level, only objectives.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:30 (2159 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Pretty sure the Renown doesn't require all the gear.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:35 (2159 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Pretty sure the Renown doesn't require all the gear.

Renown doesn't... but the bonus does. You can build to 5 Renown without any gear, it just takes more work (and more time).

With no gear, I crushed 2 public events and a patrol for 5 R

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:50 (2159 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

My Routine (before getting a full armor set)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:59 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Grab a "collect glass pyramids" patrol mission. Kill stuff while waiting on the public event, but leave the collectibles on the ground. Complete the public event for 3 renown, pick up the collectibles for renown level 4, then grab a "kill stuff" patrol as you head into the Lost Sector. By the time you reach the end of the Lost Sector, you've completed the patrol and reached 5 renown.

Once I had a full armor set, just doing the PE and grabbing a "kill stuff" bounty on the way into the Lost Sector was enough to hit 5 renown.

Not incredibly useful info now, but maybe next time if they don't change things up too much.

-Disciple

ea class has ornaments that require a full set of armor

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:57 (2159 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 05:58 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Can't you still turn them in? I had a few leftover after the rally ended and I turned them in and my level increased.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 09:42 (2158 days ago) @ narcogen

Can't you still turn them in? I had a few leftover after the rally ended and I turned them in and my level increased.

Yes, they're still functional until the end of Victory Week (next Tuesday morning).

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:18 (2158 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I didn’t log on yesterday. Who won?

As if I can’t guess . . .

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:36 (2158 days ago) @ cheapLEY

New Future War Orbit.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 12:59 (2158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

New Future War Orbit.

I prefer the Dead Monarchy Cult. Sounds more like a real thing.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 18, 2018, 09:50 (2153 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I prefer the Dead Monarchy Cult. Sounds more like a real thing.

I think that was one of the original candidates for naming what became the USA.

We still need WAR in the name, because obv.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, June 18, 2018, 09:57 (2153 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:22 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate

1. I got to level 83 and did not get a FWC cloak.
2. The exotic catalysts mean pledging to the same faction the second time is Dumb with a capital D.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:46 (2159 days ago) @ Cody Miller

2. The exotic catalysts mean pledging to the same faction the second time is Dumb with a capital D.

Right, because I didn't manage to get the New Monarchy catalyst this week, I either opt not to obtain it or I opt to not obtain one of the others.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 06:00 (2159 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you reached at least 50 with the 1st faction, yes. I'm guessing some people didn't. I made it with just a few hours to spare.

Same

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 07:31 (2158 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

What should I do on Tuesday?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, June 24, 2018, 20:46 (2147 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm fairly disappointed. I faithfully play 1 character only, as that is what life dictates.
I'm sad enough already at the turn of events where Faction Ornaments are no longer account wide and somehow character specific. But now I have to difficultly weigh out my options about which pieces of content I can't acquire, through play, because of the short period of time that has become: Season 3.

I was sadly not able to play each and everyday during Faction week (life happens) and I missed a few nights of play early in the week (and 2 or 3 daily token bonuses). For as diligently and as many hours as I forced myself to play at the end of the week/weekend I was not able to overcome and reach Level 50 with Dead Orbit. I was only able to reach Level 36.
I missed out on the Warlock Helmet Ornament and the Graviton Lance Masterwork.

What should I do Tuesday?

• Pledge Dead Orbit again to get my final 2 rewards...?
  • Or lose out on an entire Faction's Season 3 Inventory (Weapons, Ornaments, Ship/Sparrow, Masterwork, etc. )?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 24, 2018, 20:54 (2147 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Play for 1 hour a day over the course of the week and you'll hit 50.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, June 25, 2018, 10:28 (2146 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well that wasn't very helpful

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 25, 2018, 16:00 (2146 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Well that wasn't very helpful

If you can't play everyday, make it up on the days you can. It's approx 5-7 hours to get to 50.

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 22:23 (2145 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I played for 1:05 tonight. I got 90 faction tokens for 4.5 levels, which would mean about 31 ranks over the course of 7 days.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 22:39 (2145 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I played for 1:05 tonight. I got 90 faction tokens for 4.5 levels, which would mean about 31 ranks over the course of 7 days.

Did you do the Milestones? I got 41 tokens on my first Lost Sector because of those. I played for about an hour and a half and hit Rank 8. It definitely takes longer than the 5-7 hours Cody is talking about, but it's not awful, either.

If you can, playing with a Fireteam makes it much faster, but I played alone all night and got that far. I typically go to where I see a Public Event getting ready to start. I pick up the easy bounties (either the kill enemies or salvage ones) while waiting for it to start.

I often only go into the Lost Sector with four stacks instead of five. Sometimes the extra time to find and complete another activity for that last stack isn't worth the extra token or two you'll get for having a full stack of Renown.

Depending on how focused and grindy you want to make it, you can make it go by pretty quick. Some Lost Sectors are definitely easier than others. The one below the church in the EDZ is really short and easy, for instance. Some of the more expansive ones in the caves in other zones have a lot more enemies and can take a while if you're alone.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 02:46 (2145 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Depending on how focused and grindy you want to make it, you can make it go by pretty quick. Some Lost Sectors are definitely easier than others. The one below the church in the EDZ is really short and easy, for instance. Some of the more expansive ones in the caves in other zones have a lot more enemies and can take a while if you're alone.

The Ogre one on Titan can be amazingly fast, after a few runs.

For example: I went to Siren's Watch to wait for the Walker public event to start. A couple of minutes before it started, a High-Value target showed up, and it got killed super-fast (there were about 6 of us there). I looked at the clock after collecting the chest (it put me at 4 Renown), and I had 1:15 before the event started. I jumped on my sparrow, flew over to the Rig, dropped in to the Lost Sector, killed the ogre with about 10 DARCI shots (two more shots for the two knights), grabbed the 8 tokens, and fast-traveled back to Siren's Watch... I arrived before the Walker did.

(I played solo for a bit over 3 hours, I'm level 21. Having the gear helps a lot, so does doing the Milestones on multiple characters.)

Always have a kill patrol active.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 06:55 (2145 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Always, always, always.

If I'm in a fireteam, I'll usually start a Lost Sector with 4 renown and a kill patrol active. Finish it on the way through the Lost Sector for 5 renown, kill the Boss, and proceed. And even if I die, that patrol will still recoup the 1 renown. It's almost like having an extra life.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 06:42 (2145 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Was he playing alone? If you play with two others you can clear everything way faster.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 06:56 (2144 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Was he playing alone? If you play with two others you can clear everything way faster.

Use Celestial Nighthawk instead of Wormhusk Crown. As long as take the shield down, you can one shot the boss and basically ignore most adds. Makes it much faster if you’re playing alone.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 07:04 (2144 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Use Celestial Nighthawk instead of Wormhusk Crown. As long as take the shield down, you can one shot the boss and basically ignore most adds. Makes it much faster if you’re playing alone.

Also, Crimson is your best friend. You don't need any healing items with it.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 07:57 (2144 days ago) @ cheapLEY
        edited by marmot 1333, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 08:20

I was playing alone. I went to EDZ to do one milestone, then I went to Nessus. Two times in a row, I got a 5-stack but died in the LS so only got a 4-stack reward. After I finally got a 5-stack LS clear, I did a bunch of PEs. I finished Cayde's Nessus weekly milestone.

I forgot about using Crimson, that would have helped a lot. I was wearing my full Dead Orbit kit.

I also agree with Claude et al regarding LS selection. I just did the closest LS to where I was when I got 5 stacks; I bet spending the extra time driving the sparrow to an easier LS would have been worth it.

My motivation for reporting my results was that Cody's 5-7 hours estimate seemed awfully low to me. I got to rank 32 the first week, which for me meant not playing every day, but doing quite a bit of grinding on that Saturday and Sunday.

So a question: Looting a LS with a full stack gets you 10 tokens, but doing a heroic PE gets 5. It seems much faster to just do PEs. What are people's strategies for that?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 08:35 (2144 days ago) @ marmot 1333

So a question: Looting a LS with a full stack gets you 10 tokens, but doing a heroic PE gets 5. It seems much faster to just do PEs. What are people's strategies for that?

In my experience, Public Events are typically timed in such a way that you have time to knock out a Lost Sector anyway. You’re leaving a lot of tokens on the table by not doing them.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 09:50 (2144 days ago) @ marmot 1333

My motivation for reporting my results was that Cody's 5-7 hours estimate seemed awfully low to me. I got to rank 32 the first week, which for me meant not playing every day, but doing quite a bit of grinding on that Saturday and Sunday.

I think the math for 7 levels/hour works out if you play every day, when you count daily bonuses and multiple characters. That number goes down as you skip days, because those daily bonuses basically count for 2 free levels/day - there were quite a number of data points on day one last Faction Rally (from Reddit) that showed that 10 hours of constant playing would get you to 50. I think his '5' was an optimistic estimate assuming you 1) played every day, and 2) were SUPER-efficient during your activities. (That is: I think it's possible. I don't think it's easy.) Like I said, I averaged about 7 levels/hour last night, in ONE day. (That average would have gone down with each additional hour played, of course, because the initial bump would count for less and less.)

Doing a heroic PE gets 5 - and there is ALWAYS time to run the lost sector afterward before the next one starts. (Well, 'always' is really only true when you pick PEs near easy lost sectors. :) ) Get the 15, not just the 5.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:39 (2144 days ago) @ marmot 1333

7 hours was my own experience last time. I did it over the course of three days, pretty much playing with 2 others. My experience was 7, but we took our time. Others have reported optimizing stuff and doing it in 5.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 10:42 (2144 days ago) @ marmot 1333

If you have a team of 3, and even if you don’t, a lost sector is much much faster than 2 public events. What I did was to do a public event, and either two patrols or a patrol and a high value target etc. If there are two events near each other back to back do them. Then with 5 renown loot a lost sector.

by squidnh3, Monday, June 25, 2018, 11:41 (2146 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I have the same problem. I made it to about 10 for New Monarchy, which is my preferred faction (also the only one I have any armor for) However, I never really use Sweet Business or Graviton, and have heard the Sunshot catalyst makes the most difference. But, I get killed mostly by Graviton in crucible these days. Also, who knows if I'll be on vacation for the 3rd faction rally week.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 25, 2018, 11:53 (2146 days ago) @ squidnh3

I made it to rank 8 for Dead Orbit on Xbox. I still think I’m going New Monarchy this time. Their new shader is too fucking good. I don’t have Sweet Business or Sunshot yet on Xbox. I’ll probably start up my Titan the week after and grab a Sunshot from the campaign and then do FWC for the final Factions Rally.

I’m sort of assuming the catalysts will be available from other methods in the fall, but that could be a dangerous assumption.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 25, 2018, 15:09 (2146 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I made it to rank 8 for Dead Orbit on Xbox. I still think I’m going New Monarchy this time. Their new shader is too fucking good. I don’t have Sweet Business or Sunshot yet on Xbox. I’ll probably start up my Titan the week after and grab a Sunshot from the campaign and then do FWC for the final Factions Rally.

I’m sort of assuming the catalysts will be available from other methods in the fall, but that could be a dangerous assumption.

I doubt that they would keep you from getting the catalysts. My bet is that, at the worst, they just reset the factions and you get another go at it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 25, 2018, 15:11 (2146 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I'm fairly disappointed. I faithfully play 1 character only, as that is what life dictates.
        I'm sad enough already at the turn of events where Faction Ornaments are no longer account wide and somehow character specific. But now I have to difficultly weigh out my options about which pieces of content I can't acquire, through play, because of the short period of time that has become: Season 3.

I was sadly not able to play each and everyday during Faction week (life happens) and I missed a few nights of play early in the week (and 2 or 3 daily token bonuses). For as diligently and as many hours as I forced myself to play at the end of the week/weekend I was not able to overcome and reach Level 50 with Dead Orbit. I was only able to reach Level 36.

• Pledge Dead Orbit again to get my final 2 rewards...?
        • Or lose out on an entire Faction's Season 3 Inventory (Weapons, Ornaments, Ship/Sparrow, Masterwork, etc. )?

Personally, if you at all like the Graviton Lance, then I would continue with that. If you think you can get to 50 this week then I would choose another faction and then polish off DO on the last Faction rally.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, June 25, 2018, 22:19 (2146 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Personally, if you at all like the Graviton Lance, then I would continue with that. If you think you can get to 50 this week then I would choose another faction and then polish off DO on the last Faction rally.

Thanks for the reply.
        I'm not sure how anyone can discount the Graviton Lance at this point. It has become a new 'go to' weapon for many. I do like it and its short Time-to-kill, but I also try to utilize other weapons besides it. (Unless someone is really hammering me with it then I will occasionally equip it and hammer back - Like MIDA Multi-Tool used to be, or Uriel's Gift became)

That is the entire problem, if I do go back to Dead Orbit at all during Season 3 Faction Rally pt. 2 or Season 3 Faction Rally pt. 3, I will be locking myself in and forcing myself to lose out on an entire Faction's Inventory(or the Season Specific items).

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 05:32 (2146 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Thanks for the reply.
        I'm not sure how anyone can discount the Graviton Lance at this point. It has become a new 'go to' weapon for many. I do like it and its short Time-to-kill, but I also try to utilize other weapons besides it. (Unless someone is really hammering me with it then I will occasionally equip it and hammer back - Like MIDA Multi-Tool used to be, or Uriel's Gift became)

And this is why I would suggest getting it. Cause even if you don't LOVE it, it's a great fallback weapon that is great in PvP and PvE.

That is the entire problem, if I do go back to Dead Orbit at all during Season 3 Faction Rally pt. 2 or Season 3 Faction Rally pt. 3, I will be locking myself in and forcing myself to lose out on an entire Faction's Inventory(or the Season Specific items).

Yeah, that's why I was thinking just put DO in your pocket. Enjoy this faction rally as much as possible with another faction and then the last FR you can just finish up DO. Unless you think you will be gone or something.

For me, I barely scratched out 50 for New Monarchy at the last minute. I mean, I did it foolishly with how I got gear and stuff. But now I'm just gonna chill and spend two rallies to get DO.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 08:12 (2145 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

For me, I barely scratched out 50 for New Monarchy at the last minute. I mean, I did it foolishly with how I got gear and stuff. But now I'm just gonna chill and spend two rallies to get DO.

Are there any NM weapons that are must-haves? I keep hearing people rave about an FWC energy SMG, and since I have a fair amount of FWC armor, I'll likely pledge that way, but I'm trying to figure if it's really worth doing all three factions this season.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 08:28 (2158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

RNG is RNG, the following is probably all nonsense.

I recall a reddit post where someone did a rather extensive analysis of how the faction engram drop rate of armor vs. weapons changed when varying the time between decodes. I searched, but I can't find it. The crux was that when the time between decodes is less than two minutes, there is a higher incidence of getting the same thing (a dupe weapon or dupe armor).

I also think that there may be a small bias to drop more items corresponding to your weakest power level slot.

So when I turned in my tokens, I first put on my set of power level 10 damaged armor and turned in 20 tokens every 2 minutes. When I got an armor piece, I immediately put it on. I did this for both my Warlock and my Hunter, and had full sets of armor for both in about 40 decodes. The downside is I spent an hour just decoding stuff and watching TV.

But RNG is RNG, and all the above is superstitious hokum.

Anti Extinction

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 05:57 (2159 days ago) @ Malagate

I was a bit confused about that. The requirement for DO was wearing the "anti-extinction" set, but I never saw an "anti-extinction" cape. There was a DO cape that dropped, and I wore it, and I believe I was getting the 4 renown for heroic events, but I'm not sure I wasn't getting it without the cape-- which made me wonder if the "extinction set" was only the other items and there wasn't a cape, or if the DO cape that wasn't labeled "anti-extinction" counted.

At any rate, I think the point was to offer some things that... well, not everybody would be able to get. There are already redditors screaming blue bloody murder just at the *thought* that Y1 gear might be light-capped, because they wanted to make sure that Destiny 2 players returning to the game for Forsaken wouldn't be on a level playing field with those who stayed with the game.

I think there needs to be a balance between providing unique rewards for people who feel compelled to play a lot, tick all the boxes, what have you, while still remaining friendly and accessible to new, returning, and more (ahem) "casual" players.

Anti Extinction

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 06:11 (2159 days ago) @ narcogen

You’re not wrong.

I have a hard time coming up with anything good to say about folks that think they deserve a bunch of extra stuff in a video game because they played it more, so I’ll leave that alone.

I absolutely think it’s fine to recognize that every player won’t have everything. I think that’s cool. I don’t think locking upgrades to already powerful weapons behind week long limited event grinds is the best way to do that though.

Anti Extinction

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 07:00 (2158 days ago) @ narcogen

I do believe that anytime they reference “Set” it includes the associated class items, whether the name is in line or not.

Anti Extinction

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, June 18, 2018, 11:24 (2153 days ago) @ narcogen

I was a bit confused about that. The requirement for DO was wearing the "anti-extinction" set, but I never saw an "anti-extinction" cape. There was a DO cape that dropped, and I wore it, and I believe I was getting the 4 renown for heroic events, but I'm not sure I wasn't getting it without the cape-- which made me wonder if the "extinction set" was only the other items and there wasn't a cape, or if the DO cape that wasn't labeled "anti-extinction" counted.

My understanding was you had to be wearing ALL DO gear. I don't think "Anti-Extinction" was the hard requirement; even if that's what the text said. It may have just been mis-indicated. I believe on at least one of the two characters I was running during the event, only one had all Anti-Extinction gear. The other had at least a few pieces not labelled as such.

At any rate, I think the point was to offer some things that... well, not everybody would be able to get. There are already redditors screaming blue bloody murder just at the *thought* that Y1 gear might be light-capped, because they wanted to make sure that Destiny 2 players returning to the game for Forsaken wouldn't be on a level playing field with those who stayed with the game.

Yeah, there's a difference between exclusivity by feats (like Raid/EP/CRU gear) and by RNG; and I understand some of the motivation behind folks wanting their investment to confer them an advantage, but those folks can take a flying leap at a rolling donut. That kind of exclusivity is already in play. Faction gear doesn't need to work by those limitations, and I'd argue that it SHOULDN'T at all.

I think there needs to be a balance between providing unique rewards for people who feel compelled to play a lot, tick all the boxes, what have you, while still remaining friendly and accessible to new, returning, and more (ahem) "casual" players.

Absolutely agree, and I think Bungie has done that with the ornaments. They don't confer any advantage, and yet they are pretty eye-catching, even to more casual players. Completing the feats for the ornaments certainly left me with a sense of accomplishment, and if I want to show that off, I have the perfect way to do that without skewing the meta for the more casual folks who didn't commit in the same way to the grind.

As a bit of an aside, light-capping Y1 gear, frankly, would be a shitty move. I see that as a way to sweep things off the table with respect to the PvE meta, and it would sort of invalidate the investment of a lot of players by requiring them to grind for new gear. I agree that it's a comparatively soft touch compared to other choices that they might make; and in general I support the idea of forcing players (especially the hardcore) out of their comfort zone as a good thing. And it didn't really seem to send things off the rails in D1 like many feared, but not everyone plays CRU, so. I have sympathy for those that would feel kneecapped by such a decision.

In the end, as long as the CRU meta still keeps the Y1 stuff viable, I won't have too many complaints. I'm just hoping Vigilance Wing and Graviton Lance can be put in check by either Bows in general, or a meta tweak. I have a feeling Bungie have put themselves in a position where one or both of those guns will have to have specific changes made to them to keep things balanced. Things are starting to feel like H2 again.

~M

Regarding V-Wing and Gravy Stick

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 11:51 (2153 days ago) @ Malagate

The general notion from all the interviews and the summit feedback and conversations definitely presents for a “bringing everything else up to them” and that is in part with the explicit motivation and of keeping Primaries competitive with Specials.

Read: Reduce overall TTK because we OP'ed two guns.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, June 18, 2018, 12:01 (2153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Read: Reduce overall TTK because we OP'ed two guns.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 18, 2018, 13:16 (2153 days ago) @ Malagate
        edited by Cody Miller, Monday, June 18, 2018, 13:20

I feel like every decision Bungie makes regarding balance is an overreaction, and it always swings too far. People using too many specials in Destiny? Nerf special ammo. Now people are using grenades and abilities to compensate? Let’s increase ability cooldown and decrease damage for Des2ny. Nothing powerful anymore, so everybody teamshots with primaries. So let’s give out more heavy. Now In quickplay it’s a heavy fest. Ok so we buff primaries. Everybody uses V-Wing and Graviton Lance?

………

It’s just a cycle of overreactions. This will be no different. My advice is to make your balance changes 1/4 as intense as you think. If it’s not enough, slowly inch there.

Read: Reduce TTK because OHK weapons are more available

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 14:04 (2153 days ago) @ Malagate

Snipers, shotguns, and fusions are at the Special Ammo tier/pool, not Heavy. If it were just about 2 pulse rifles I really doubt we’d be seeing what they’re doing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 18, 2018, 13:10 (2153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The general notion from all the interviews and the summit feedback and conversations definitely presents for a “bringing everything else up to them” and that is in part with the explicit motivation and of keeping Primaries competitive with Specials.

The summit was not about feedback. It was about marketing and hype.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 14:01 (2153 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I suppose that is one way to look at it if you aren’t listening to most of the people producing content about having been there. I dunno, were you at the summit? I wasn’t. So I’m limited to what I’ve heard from folks who were there.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 18, 2018, 14:36 (2153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I suppose that is one way to look at it if you aren’t listening to most of the people producing content about having been there. I dunno, were you at the summit? I wasn’t. So I’m limited to what I’ve heard from folks who were there.

Look at the NDAs they were given, and which ones got lifted when.

It's about getting those people hype and letting them talk about it in a controlled manner.

All actions are singular. Nothing can have multiple purposes

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 16:49 (2153 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I just don't get into week long events

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:18 (2159 days ago) @ kidtsunami

If I do have time to grind, I get burned out and don't want to play once it's over. If I don't have time to grind, I don't want to play because what's the point. These short time gates work against their goal of having consistent engagement with the game. Long grinds are ok, but they're better if I can do them on my own time. I'm more annoyed than having fun if I feel like I have to drop other activities to not miss out on something.

It's a way to generate excitement

by Durandal, Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 05:28 (2159 days ago) @ bluerunner

The week long events are something different players can anticipate and get excited for, like weekend football games.

The problem stems from the very large variance in the time players can invest in the game. Some people have the time to achieve everything on a faction in one go. Some can't. The problem becomes that the most vocal people online are the ones with the most time, and so Bungie has actively added content that is going to take lots of time to complete per season to appease the high time investment players.

Those of us who don't have the time will have to settle for not being able to access all the content.

Faction Rally...Timing and Pledging

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:47 (2159 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Yup, had the same thought myself. I made it, but only just. And I have no kids and few obligations outside of normal work hours - I have no idea how people with genuinely busy lives are supposed to have any hope at all.

Some have floated the idea that Bungie might change the catalyst source once all the rallies are over. That's possible, I suppose, and a good idea IMO. But since we don't know for sure, I wouldn't expect anyone to count on it as a fallback (unless we DO know for sure and I just missed the announcement).

Back to the forum index
        RSS Feed of thread