No Man's Sky NEXT (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 19:17 (2109 days ago)

I thought No Man's Sky was fine when it launched. It wasn't great, and I ultimately didn't find it super compelling, but it was neat, and pretty, and I had a good fifteen hours just chilling in that game.

Well, next week, the NEXT update hits (along with an Xbox release). The big updates they have done in the past weren't enough to bring me back, but this looks pretty neat, and it's enough that I've reinstalled the game on PS4 in preparation for checking it out.

No Man's Sky NEXT

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 07:32 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, with all the updates, is it worth picking up? I'm interested now that it is coming to Xbox, but I'm afraid it won't hold interest for too long.

No Man's Sky NEXT

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 09:38 (2108 days ago) @ bluerunner

So, with all the updates, is it worth picking up? I'm interested now that it is coming to Xbox, but I'm afraid it won't hold interest for too long.

I honestly don’t know. I’m not sure what it’s going to be priced at on Xbox. I liked the 15 or 20 hours I put into it at launch, and it looks like a much better game now. At launch it was a very basic survival game. It was relaxing to just explore planets and collect resources and fly around the galaxy. The seamless transition from walking around on a planet, launching a ship and flying in the atmosphere, and then leaving the planet is still impressive to me.

They’ve added base building and freighters, and now it looks like they’re expanding that and adding real multiplayer and third person mode. That’s all neat, but it looks like they worked on the landscape algorithms too. I’ve heard that, and the stuff in that trailer seems much better than anything I saw in the game at launch. It just looks more real somehow, more coherent, if that makes sense.

I’m certainly more excited than I would have thought for this update, but I really can’t answer if it’s worth a buy.

It's $49.99 on XBox

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 10:45 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I honestly don’t know. I’m not sure what it’s going to be priced at on Xbox.

The Game page is already up here on XBox.com.

I liked the 15 or 20 hours I put into it at launch, and it looks like a much better game now. At launch it was a very basic survival game. It was relaxing to just explore planets and collect resources and fly around the galaxy. The seamless transition from walking around on a planet, launching a ship and flying in the atmosphere, and then leaving the planet is still impressive to me.

My 2 cents, I absolutely loved NMS on PS4 and it was one of the cooler low-impact exploration based experiences and I really felt like I got what they were going for at launch. It only got better with each update and I'm really looking forward to getting on my XB1X especially as one of my favorite activities is taking pictures of the beautiful vistas.

They’ve added base building and freighters, and now it looks like they’re expanding that and adding real multiplayer and third person mode. That’s all neat, but it looks like they worked on the landscape algorithms too. I’ve heard that, and the stuff in that trailer seems much better than anything I saw in the game at launch. It just looks more real somehow, more coherent, if that makes sense.

Seriously, it to me, is one of the true exploring games. In most cases, I literally CAN NOT know exactly what I'll find when I arrive somewhere.

I’m certainly more excited than I would have thought for this update, but I really can’t answer if it’s worth a buy.

It's worth a buy for me. I agree it's hard to say whether it's worth a buy for anyone. It's hard to recommend this relatively unique/odd experience as a general thing.

That seems steep.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 10:49 (2108 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Not that it’s not worth the price, necessarily, but for a two year old game that I suspect costs half of that on the other platforms.

Still $60 on the PS4 Store

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 10:52 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think games are trying to keep their price higher for longer than they used to by releasing large updates over time for free. In NMS's case it's probably because they got slammed at launch for having higher expectations than the game could fill.

That's surprising.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 18:30 (2108 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I can get a new disc for $20 off the shelf.

I really wish digital prices were more competitive. I realize it's a function of storage/shelf space and moving product that's not selling.

On the other hand, I suppose price drops for games is a weird concept on it's face. If it was worth $60 at launch, why wouldn't it be worth $60 now (especially for something that's not an annualized franchise with a "better" version out every year)?

That's surprising.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 22:53 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On the other hand, I suppose price drops for games is a weird concept on it's face. If it was worth $60 at launch, why wouldn't it be worth $60 now (especially for something that's not an annualized franchise with a "better" version out every year)?

Pricing is a function of supply and demand. As time goes on, the demand for the game is less since fewer people want it. Less demand drives the price down.

That's surprising.

by Robot Chickens, Friday, July 20, 2018, 09:50 (2107 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pricing is a function of supply and demand. As time goes on, the demand for the game is less since fewer people want it. Less demand drives the price down.

Yes and no. Supply never runs out with digital sales. It really only comes down to perceived value. Games make money when there's buzz about them, and generally don't make a ton after their moment in the sun. Lowering the price just catches everyone who didn't want the earlier price point or who had other commitments when it was the 'hot thing.'

Yeah, I still think it's worth it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 11:05 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Not that it’s not worth the price, necessarily, but for a two year old game that I suspect costs half of that on the other platforms.

A few people have noted that, judging from the trailer alone, this looks like a sequel, not an update. Also when PS4 or XB1 get games after the other, they're usually not discounted all that heavily even if it took a year or two.

Yeah, I still think it's worth it

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 11:54 (2108 days ago) @ kidtsunami

A few people have noted that, judging from the trailer alone, this looks like a sequel, not an update. Also when PS4 or XB1 get games after the other, they're usually not discounted all that heavily even if it took a year or two.

I'm going to see hpw this update pans out, and it will probably go on my Black Friday list.

Same

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, July 19, 2018, 12:26 (2108 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

No Man's Sky NEXT

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, July 19, 2018, 07:34 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm kind of excited about this coming to Xbox. During its pre-release hype, I thought it looked like a relaxing game. I like the idea of just exploring and looking around. It's a good end of the day thing to do.

Thanks for sharing this, I didn't know it was coming to XB.

A solid Waypoint interview with Murray

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 20, 2018, 09:24 (2107 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought No Man's Sky was fine when it launched. It wasn't great, and I ultimately didn't find it super compelling, but it was neat, and pretty, and I had a good fifteen hours just chilling in that game.

Well, next week, the NEXT update hits (along with an Xbox release). The big updates they have done in the past weren't enough to bring me back, but this looks pretty neat, and it's enough that I've reinstalled the game on PS4 in preparation for checking it out.

-Waypoint-

Digs into their relationship with the community and press. Doesn't really cover what NEXT will entail outside of a few details. Does confirm that the experience they're targeting is a meditative Sci Fi experience.

No Man's Sky NEXT

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 20, 2018, 10:21 (2107 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dang. I really think it's something I would enjoy (even the original version, flawed or not) but I'm having to drastically cut back recreational spending for the foreseeable future and I don't think $60 games are going to fit into that plan. Here's hoping for a major sale someday.

Physical media is $20, less used. Might be worth it.

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 08:27 (2106 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

I wonder how that will work out.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 10:17 (2106 days ago) @ slycrel

I can only assume new Xbox discs of NMS will also be $60. It’ll be weird to see those next to $20 (or less, if used) PS4 copies.

I wonder how that will work out.

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, July 21, 2018, 13:03 (2106 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Looks like $40-50 new for real media. I think it's silly, but maybe most people buy digital nowadays or something.

Amazon.com no man's sky

No Man's Sky NEXT: The Galactic Atlas

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, July 22, 2018, 16:05 (2105 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just found out about the Galactic Atlas.

It appears to be community driven and it should be a super interesting way to explore the universe. I love the idea of finding out about this cool spot in the universe that someone found and tracking it down.

There's an element of this that reminds me of the first Destiny trailer, about striking out and exploring the universe. I definitely enjoy what we got out of Destiny, and am also thankful that NMS delivers that wonder of exploration I was also craving.

No Man's Sky NEXT

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 23, 2018, 19:55 (2104 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am glad to hear it is coming to XBox and that the updates have been impressive so far.

I played it on PC when it was first available and I had a great time exploring and naming planets and life forms. But after awhile it got to where it just needed more elements to keep it interesting.

$50-60 is probably not in my price range right now. But I plan to keep an eye on it on XBox. Would love to give it another go!

That also reminds me I should jump back in to Subnautica some day soon and see if they have done anymore with that game.

No Man's Sky NEXT--Seems neat!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 19:52 (2103 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 20:19

Third person view is cool. Really digging it.

The terrain generation is immediately noticeably better. That was honestly one of my biggest issues with the game--it was sort of ugly. Everything had bad, muddy textures, and the worlds didn't feel "real" in the way they were put together. The few planets I've seen have all felt more natural and realistic, and while the texture work still isn't amazing, it is much better.

It's also much better at on-boarding and giving a little bit of direction, if you want that.

It's still too early to tell, but I'm in real danger of being sucked into this game. It might actually be the game I sort of wanted Elite Dangerous to be.

No Man's Sky NEXT is cool.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 22:08 (2102 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played a few more hours tonight. Killed some pirates attacking a freighter and the Captain rewarded me by giving me his big ass ship. It's cool--it works like a mobile home base that can house multiple ships and base-building areas inside. So you can use your freighter to travel between systems, then hop in your regular ship to explore that system.

I'm still amazed by the new terrain generation. Planets are just much better now, and much more compelling than they were before.

The crafting and survival systems have been heavily overhauled. You now have a portable refinery you can craft to refine the base materials you mine into advanced versions that you need to craft blueprints.

NEXT is such a drastic improvement over the base game. However, that isn't to say that the game itself has drastically changed. If you didn't like it before, I don't think this is enough to change your mind. The gameplay loop is still the same. It's still largely aimless wondering, mining supplies to craft fuel or whatever. Base building is neat. It seems sort of weird to build bases in a game that is ostensibly about exploring trillions of planets, but teleporters allow you to visit a built base from anywhere in the galaxy. So if you find a planet you just really love the look of, you can build a base there and teleport to and from it at will.

If you already owned the game, I would highly recommend jumping back in and giving this new update a try.

OK, I've made up my mind

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 22:41 (2102 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It'll be at least several weeks, possibly a month or two, before I get through my current situation and know what kind of budget I'm going to be on. But, IF it's feasible at that point, I very much want to play this game.

OK, I've made up my mind

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 23:01 (2102 days ago) @ stabbim

I've been debating whether I should bring the PS4 along with the Xbox to KC. I'd be more than happy to bring it, if you want to check it out a little bit while we're there.

OK, I've made up my mind

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 07:42 (2101 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been debating whether I should bring the PS4 along with the Xbox to KC. I'd be more than happy to bring it, if you want to check it out a little bit while we're there.

I'd be interested.

OK, I've made up my mind

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 09:32 (2101 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'd be interested.

Okay. I’ll bring it then.

OK, I've made up my mind

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 08:50 (2101 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, absolutely!

No Man's Sky NEXT

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 30, 2018, 23:47 (2096 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I found this encouraging:

Reviews are really subjective, and in recent years I've learned to try to find people whose taste seems to line up with mine. Alanah's usually pretty close to how I end up feeling about a given game, so I tend to take her more seriously. YMMV, of course.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread