I have purchased an internet. What do I do with it? (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 23:09 (2066 days ago)

That's right. I have internet again after that time when I didn't. 5 megabit per second internet! That can stream standard definition videos!

Okay. So, now that I have this internet, what kind of stuff have I been missing out on? Chromecasts, Rokus, all that stuff? What should I do with this network?

I can use the bone as a media center, watching MLB.tv and so on. Should I get some internet radios or whatever? What are your favourite connected devices?

I have purchased an internet. What do I do with it?

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 00:40 (2066 days ago) @ Funkmon

Is your TV a smart one or a dumb one? I personally disregard most of the smart features on mine, but there are some benefits. Let's me keep control of my personal accounts separate. That depends on preference, though. Those I run via a Chromecast, because it is convenient. Also makes YT and music sharing easy at parties.

Beyond that for the living area I just keep the Quatro and the Bone, conveniently on a HDMI switch. Really convenient to have all the gaming on one port and having it be smart enough to know which one I just turned on. I'll have to upgrade if I ever decide to use my Switch in a mode other than handheld.

All the other IOT stuff I've been considering is security related. Having a chat with anyone stopping at your front door regardless of where you are is kinda an enjoyable thought.

But you mention services; there is always the standard Netflix, but there are more niche streaming services popping up on the regular - e.g., Shudder which is a new-ish service if you like horror. Amazon Prime stuff is pretty easy to access, too when you get down to it. Especially if you already would benefit from a Prime Membership.

I refuse to make specific suggestions on services, that usually just starts fights where I'm from.

Sock-eating stream

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 30, 2018, 08:06 (2065 days ago) @ Funkmon

;p

5 is still pretty low, so I can't quite recommend Netflix and similar services. Maybe torrent the crap out of movies now?

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 09:35 (2065 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

What happened?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 09:05 (2065 days ago) @ Funkmon

Did your neighbors catch on finally?

What happened?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 30, 2018, 13:07 (2065 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Nah, I just have someone else moving in possibly who wouldn't be so tolerant of my cheats to get through life.

Been singing this ever since you posted.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 05, 2018, 14:43 (2059 days ago) @ Funkmon

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread