How many Guardians have died in the Reef? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 20:18 (2046 days ago)

There sure are a lot of dead Ghosts around for me to give to the Spider.

How many Guardians have died in the Reef?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 22:34 (2046 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Do this...

Go to the Triumphs screen
Go into Lore
Go to Ghost Stories

...and read the stories you’ve unlocked.

I’ve read a lot more than I have collected in game, and while there’s a few bright or fun ones (like Ghost Community Theater Presents) many if not most of them are sad, tragic, and sometimes even terrifying!

For instance, there’s one about a Guardian who thinks his fate of being called to fight and die again and again against impossible odds for reasons and authorities he does not understand is far worse than simply remaining long dead and forgotten... so he seeks out Ghosts that have not yet found their Guardians, and to spare those potential Guardians a fate like his own, he kills the Ghosts he encounters and attaches them to a chain which he drags along behind him!

And that’s just one of a couple dozen similarly chilling stories. It’s interesting how much work Bungie put into fleshing out the Ghosts in the lore this time around. Because of that, I’m just a little bit more aware of what it means each time I find those dead Ghosts. The Ghost Stories book really goes to show the darker tone that Forsaken has.

Ghost Collection

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 06:34 (2046 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For instance, there’s one about a Guardian who thinks his fate of being called to fight and die again and again against impossible odds for reasons and authorities he does not understand is far worse than simply remaining long dead and forgotten... so he seeks out Ghosts that have not yet found their Guardians, and to spare those potential Guardians a fate like his own, he kills the Ghosts he encounters and attaches them to a chain which he drags along behind him!

I was wondering if this had a specific connection to Spider, as he also has his own Ghost collection hanging from the rafters...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 08:32 (2045 days ago) @ Ragashingo

can a ghost turn on his/her guardian?

You'd think at some point, the ghost would, for the greater good, just not revive a guardian that has gone rogue like that. What repercussions would there actually be for that ghost if he just peaced out?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 08:56 (2045 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 09:06

can a ghost turn on his/her guardian?

You'd think at some point, the ghost would, for the greater good, just not revive a guardian that has gone rogue like that. What repercussions would there actually be for that ghost if he just peaced out?

There’s at least one story where a Ghost does in fact leave its Guardian dead because the Guardian had become so ruthless. So... yes.

The Chosen’s Choice

There’s also a story where a Ghost revived a child who just recently died in its mother’s arms. Then the Ghost uses itself as bait to lure a Fallen raiding party away from the kid and it’s parents... leaving the child to grow up as a Guardian who will only be able to die once.

Confessions of Hope | Part 1
Confessions of Hope | Part 2

I’m tellin’ y’all, there’s some great and chilling stories in there!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread