Best way to farm Mod components? (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 08:10 (2039 days ago)

I have very little. And I have already cleared out my vault, which didn't have that much stuff in it. I might do a second pass, but I doubt it will give me much more. What is the best way to get more?

I second this question!

by Oholiab @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 08:25 (2039 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

This may work?

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 08:49 (2039 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by TheeChaos, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 08:53

Someone had mentioned to me that going to the spider, and buying alot of the cheapest planetary material he is selling, then go to that planet and turn in. Dismantle everything you get, plus you'll get shards back as well.

Not sure on numbers or percentages, but I'm sure its a less than desirable rate of return.

This may work?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:00 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Someone had mentioned to me that going to the spider, and buying alot of the cheapest planetary material he is selling, then go to that planet and turn in. Dismantle everything you get, plus you'll get shards back as well.

Not sure on numbers or percentages, but I'm sure its a less than desirable rate of return.

I can believe that this might be the best way, but that's still really bad it seems in my experience.

So I have 1100 shards. If I bought planetary matts with that then...
1100 x 5 = 5500 matts
5500 matts / 20 = 275 armor pieces
Even if I get a mod in a piece of armor every 20 pieces, which has not been my experience. That's only 12 mods for 1100 shards. And that is 12 random mods! maybe that is still optimistic...

This may work?

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:05 (2039 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I can believe that this might be the best way, but that's still really bad it seems in my experience.

So I have 1100 shards. If I bought planetary matts with that then...
1100 x 5 = 5500 matts
5500 matts / 20 = 275 armor pieces
Even if I get a mod in a piece of armor every 20 pieces, which has not been my experience. That's only 12 mods for 1100 shards. And that is 12 random mods! maybe that is still optimistic...

You are definitely right, far from what we need. They need to add consistent ways to get these materials. RNG on the armor you want, at the light you need, with the ROLLS you desire is bad enough. Then add in trying to mod it, blegh. Banshee and his Alzheimers needs to provide some bounties for this and master work cores.

I have only put mods into my raid gear on 1 character, 3 of which are Transcendant Blessings Mods and so I know I can get more of those throught he Ritual pursuits. Weapons wise, only my Bygones and Trust have them. Too greedy to do much else at this point.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:09 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

In particular, use this method when he’s selling Simulation Seeds. Brother Vance will sometimes give you Masterwork drops in addition to legendary drops. I bought 700 shards worth of simulation seeds last week... I traded all the seeds into Vance, and ended up with about 20 masterwork cores, 30 mod components, and almost 600 legendary shards back in my inventory.

+1

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:10 (2039 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In particular, use this method when he’s selling Simulation Seeds. Brother Vance will sometimes give you Masterwork drops in addition to legendary drops. I bought 700 shards worth of simulation seeds last week... I traded all the seeds into Vance, and ended up with about 20 masterwork cores, 30 mod components, and almost 600 legendary shards back in my inventory.

Is brother Vance special? Just curious as to why he drops Masterworks?

+1

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:11 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Is brother Vance special?

That a rhetorical question? Brother Vance has always been "Special"

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:30 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I mean, he sure wants to be special ;p

To answer your question, I don’t actually know. I could have sworn I’ve received masterworks from other vendors, but I could just as easily be imagining that. Speedracer told me about Vance specifically, so I tried it out and it worked beautifully.

+1

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:42 (2039 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

He may end up having a higher rate of MW somehow, but you can get MW from any vendor in my experience. Specifically I have gotten MW from all Tower Vendors and from EDZ, Titan, and Io.

+1

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:05 (2039 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I mean, he sure wants to be special ;p

To answer your question, I don’t actually know. I could have sworn I’ve received masterworks from other vendors, but I could just as easily be imagining that. Speedracer told me about Vance specifically, so I tried it out and it worked beautifully.

Vance does seem to award Masterworked weapons (that dismantle into 1-2 cores generally) more often than the other vendors (at least in my, anecdotally-based, opinion).

But the main reason to do get the simulation seeds from Spider to turn into Vance [rather than going all out on the other planetary materials as well] is because the shaders that drop with the packages from Vance dismantle back into legendary shards, whereas the shaders that drop on the other destinations dismantle into glimmer.

By spending all of your shards at Spider on simulation seeds and then cashing them all in at Vance, you are guaranteed to net a bunch of masterwork cores and mod components, while only going net negative by a relatively small amount on the legendary shards (especially after you dismantle everything he gives you, and then turning all those new gunsmith materials you get for dismantling in to Banshee for more weapons -- most of which will also result in you recovering more shards, while also potentially giving you a few new "god-rolled" weapons, and reportedly even chances at exotics to drop from Banshee).

Edit/Addendum: Note that this morning I decided to pull my ~275 Arcology Tokens out of the vault and I went ahead and cashed them in to Sloane and ended up netting a few more masterwork cores and mod components. But when I did the same a few days ago on EDZ, Devrim didn't drop a single masterworked weapon...

Exotics from Banshee

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:13 (2039 days ago) @ Speedracer513

By spending all of your shards at Spider on simulation seeds and then cashing them all in at Vance, you are guaranteed to net a bunch of masterwork cores and mod components, while only going net negative by a relatively small amount on the legendary shards (especially after you dismantle everything he gives you, and then turning all those new gunsmith materials you get for dismantling in to Banshee for more weapons -- most of which will also result in you recovering more shards, while also potentially giving you a few new "god-rolled" weapons, and reportedly even chances at exotics to drop from Banshee).

I can confirm that the only forsaken exotic I have received (Trinity Ghoul) was from a banshee package.

Exotics from Banshee

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:15 (2039 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

well that means i am turning in some of my 3000 weapon parts this afternoon!!!!

Exotics from Banshee

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:21 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

That might take roughly 30 minutes to do :D

I am getting in the habit of turning in 500 every time I go to the tower.

Oh, I'm getting on this train

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:34 (2039 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I just haven't brought myself around to the stupidly time-consuming process of turning in all of my Weapon Parts. I had no idea that he could drop an exotic…

Come on, RNG! Baby needs a new Two-Tailed Fox!

It's really nice. :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:47 (2038 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

I infused mine into my Whisper...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 07:59 (2038 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Then I just pulled another one out from my collections. lol

*sigh*

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:43 (2038 days ago) @ breitzen

No dice.

Bought a ton of mats and spent all of my Weapon Parts. Ended up with a few Masterwork Cores, a Minor Spec mod, and refunded a couple hundred Legendary Shards. Blah.

Oh, I'm getting on this train

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11:10 (2038 days ago) @ Beorn

I just haven't brought myself around to the stupidly time-consuming process of turning in all of my Weapon Parts. I had no idea that he could drop an exotic…

Come on, RNG! Baby needs a new Two-Tailed Fox!

Before y'all get your hopes up too much, I've easily turned in ~5000ish gunsmith materials in the past couple weeks and haven't had a single exotic drop from Banshee. I know it is possible - but... RNG with a very low value assigned to it and all that.

So… you're *saying* there's a chance!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11:17 (2038 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Before y'all get your hopes up too much, I've easily turned in ~5000ish gunsmith materials in the past couple weeks and haven't had a single exotic drop from Banshee. I know it is possible - but... RNG with a very low value assigned to it and all that.

I hear ya. Until now, I hadn't even bothered trying because I didn't realize that exotics were even a possibility from Banshee. Anyway, I don't mind spending a few minutes burning through thousands of Parts if they're at least somewhere in the loot pool. My RNG luck will guarantee three more Vigilance Wings before anything new, but at least there's a chance. :)

And I assume that Masterworks are in there as well, along with a chance for new Weapon Mods?

So… you're *saying* there's a chance!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11:37 (2038 days ago) @ Beorn

Anyway, I don't mind spending a few minutes burning through thousands of Parts if they're at least somewhere in the loot pool. My RNG luck will guarantee three more Vigilance Wings before anything new, but at least there's a chance. :)

Heh. "few minutes" Lol.

And I assume that Masterworks are in there as well, along with a chance for new Weapon Mods?

I think that in theory that is the case, yes. I've been quite surprised that none of my gunsmith packages have given me a masterworked weapon either. I think I've just had bad RNG with Banshee though. I've bought maybe half a dozen packages from the Cryptarch (the ones for 40(?) legendary shards) and at least half of them have been a masterwork though.

I'm just going to put this here...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11:30 (2038 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think that in theory that is the case, yes. I've been quite surprised though that none of my gunsmith packages have given me a masterworked weapon either. I think I've just had bad RNG with Banshee though.

I may or may not have gotten my Trinity Ghoul from like the first 5-6 packages I turned in since starting forsaken :D

I'm just going to put this here...

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 11:32 (2038 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I got Trinity Ghoul on my first Gunsmith package of Forsaken.

WAIT!!!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 12:02 (2038 days ago) @ TheeChaos

At the end of the month, it is planned to a patch exotic duplicates. ( Again. ಠ_ಠ)

• Adjusting Exotic rewards to help reduce the number of duplicate drops
    • Players may still receive duplicates, but there will be better chances for Forsaken >exotics when receiving Exotic rewards

Odds are one of you are going to get Sunbracers as a Hunter if you do this before then. :P

Wait.

WAIT!!!!

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:38 (2038 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Good call.

I gave him about 300 and just got some junk drops. Good looking out!

+1

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 09:10 (2039 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Dang. This was the method Speed suggested. But I haven't had a good week to do it yet.

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 12, 2018, 17:39 (2037 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, October 12, 2018, 17:44

Why does that game make you do this? Why not simply sell Masterwork cores for 5 shards per if you can do what you just did? Save us the trouble.

There are too many useless materials and so much bullshit in this game already. What's the difference between one planetary material and the other? There isn't any. The game needs one currency and that is glimmer. No shards. No Simulation seeds. Just glimmer. This shit is soul crushing and boring so it should be streamlined.

Also because there's a glimmer cap, you're always going to have to play to earn more if it's used for everything.

Masterwork cores make sense because they do something unique, but I don't see why Spending 75,000 glimmer with banshee shouldn't let you masterwork something.

Fewer roadblocks. Simplify currency. Just stop getting in the way of fun.

There is a reason I am in the 540s and have no motivation to go up. It's all the bullshit in the way (and the fact that I will likely not be able to raid blind - another boneheaded move with the raid power level).

I don't understand why Bungie keeps making the game better, but then adds fucking shit to it that ruins the good parts. I'd love to be doing all the cool high level stuff, but not enough that I am going to do the pointless grind.

Some updated data:

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 17:40 (2037 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So I just completed another “harvest”, spending 840 Shards at Spider, for a total of 4200 Simulation Seeds.

4200 Seeds (at 55 seeds per package from Brother Vance) netted (after dismantling everything from those packages):
+15 Masterwork Cores
+10 Mod Components
+ 76 Mercury Shaders (one per package)
Which, after cashing in the shaders brough me back to 695 shards.

840 - 695 = 145 shards “actually” spent for those 15 MW Cores (and 10 mod components) for an average of 9.66667 shards per MW Core

Oh, and I also netted approximately 500 gunsmith materials from dismantling the contents of those packages, which gave me 15 more shards, bringing the average down to 8.66667 shards per MW Core.

Can confirm proportional rewards

by Oholiab @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 08:13 (2037 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I had neither time nor patience to purchase 4200 seeds from Spider (and Mrs. Oholiab was tired of hearing him say “magnificent!” over and over as she tried to enjoy her reading material) but I did purchase 1000.

I didn’t keep accurate records but I did receive several masterwork cores and - more importantly for me - three or four mod components.

Thanks for the tip! Next time I’ll mute the speakers :)

Still... there has to be a better way to get mod components. Purchase from gunsmith?

Some updated data:

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:12 (2037 days ago) @ Speedracer513

And as with many other things in Destiny, totally useless if you don't have half a billion shards. I have maybe 120. I've always been in dire straights when it comes to shards. Insert a rant about how awful the economy is here.

Meanwhile, I have glimmer for days. Getting glimmer is no problem. Sure would be nice if I could buy something useful with it, like bundles of shards.

Meh.

Some updated data:

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:59 (2037 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

You can buy planetary materials which are rotationally used to buy Shards from Spider. I grow my Shards that way (up over 2.1k since Forsaken started where I was at 1.3k) and I still spend 30 every day I remember to getting MW cores from Spider and on other things. Breaking down legendary world shaders as discussed here already if you aren’t using them is a good boost, too.

Some updated data:

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 13:23 (2036 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You can buy planetary materials which are rotationally used to buy Shards from Spider. I grow my Shards that way (up over 2.1k since Forsaken started where I was at 1.3k) and I still spend 30 every day I remember to getting MW cores from Spider and on other things. Breaking down legendary world shaders as discussed here already if you aren’t using them is a good boost, too.

My problem with that is then I basically have to spend time trolling around whatever planet of the week farming and grinding out mats, which is not how I want to spend the sometimes not even twoish hours a night I get with the game, or ever really.

I realize and accept it as a solution, and that my unwillingness to use it is basically my problem, not the game's. It doesn't change the fact thay Destiny's economy just isn't friendly to players with lives and real world commitments who don't have four hour blocks of time to spend.

As an aside, this is also why I don't think I've ever triggered and used one of the medallions. Lasts four hours? Dude, if it rolled over between sessions, hell yeah, but I'm reluctant to burn something I know I'm not going to get full use out of.

Ugh. I'll keep it all in mind. Maybe it'll become a nighly ritual to grind out bounties on whatever planet of the week before diving into strikes, but that cuts into the limited time my fireteam has for running strikes.

No good solutions.

Some updated data:

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 15:46 (2036 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Oh, I don’t grind the mats on whatever planet. I do the 6 for-glimmer ones on the Tnagled shore and buy whatever planetary mats Spider is selling for glimmer. I buy the shards when it lines up with a planet I already have some with. Though picking up the destination bounties of wherever you are at is a pretty easy way to get 30 planetary mats. That’s 3 shards from Spider on whatever day they line up (and some days it’s just 5k glimmer)

But you are right about the economy being less than agreeable to those without the time to invest.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread