Time To Step Back For A Bit. (Criticism)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 12:59 (1984 days ago)

I once stepped away from Destiny 1 after I really and truly ground and ground for almost a week non-stop seeking Exotic drops and hoping against unreliable RNGed hope that I'd get a Red Death.

Well, with the way loot drops have been woefully restructured in Forsaken I'm feeling that way again. Exotic drops are virtually nonexistent no matter what activity I play or what buff I equip. Xur has decided to make himself completely irrelevant by only selling things I already have. And on the off chance I do get an Exotic engram to appear, it'll inevitably be some weapon or armor that I've had since the start of D2... or, maybe even something I've had in some similar shape or form back in D1.

Forsaken is perhaps the best of Destiny 2 in terms of gameplay, story, and lore... but a game like this also lives and dies on the rewards it gives. And right now Destiny 2 is dying for me in that one regard. So I'm dropping it except for the weekly-ish collaboration with my Raid group as we work through the last few encounters.

Maybe on the 30th Bungie will fix this underperforming piece of the game. I sure would love to try one of those new Titan Exotics that looked so cool in that one trailer...

Time To Step Back For A Bit.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 17:35 (1983 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think this community had this conversation multiple times during the life of D1, and the conclusion still stands--if you find the game more frustrating than fun, it absolutely makes sense to take a step back. It's a bummer to hear that you're in such a place, but it's a game that's supposed to be fun, so do what you need to.

I will say, though, that, even as someone who has been staunchly against the soft cap and the leveling system, I have a hard time seeing where you're coming from on this. And, don't get me wrong, it's not that I think you're wrong--I just can't get in that headspace.

I've only had a handful of exotics drop since forsaken--I got a Vigilance Wing from a raid encounter (instead of a piece of raid gear), I got a Fighting Lion once, I got the Lord of Wolves, and I got the Sixth Coyote hunter chest (an extra dodge, wow, so exotic). I am bummed that I don't have Cerberus+1 or Trinity Ghoul or the Shards of Galanor, but it's not really affecting my enjoyment of the game. Those things will come as they will, and the rest of the game is just so damn fun right now that my tolerance for those annoyances in pretty high.

If you had been working to level up and getting frustrated about the soft cap, I can totally get behind that, but not getting exotic drops in small beans by comparison, in my book anyway.

Like I said, I don't think you're wrong. It's something that needs to be fixed. I think making exotics "rare" is a dumb way to handle them. They shouldn't be exotic because no one has them, they should be exotic because they play differently and have cool abilities and perks, and Bungie should want as many people as possible to see the best stuff in the game. Luna's Howl, Ace of Spades, Wish-ender, Malfeasance, The Chaperone, etc, have the rarity and "earning" thing covered. Let player's play with the cool new toys!

But stuff like Trust and Bygones and Misfit and Toil and Trouble and all the other new legendary gear have the fun new toys part covered, too. So as much as I want some of the those new exotics, and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on too much when the rest of it is still all so good.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 07:27 (1983 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I agree. I've gotten one new exotic this season, but I'm having fun. I do think rarity should be at least part of what makes an exotic exotic--I'm fine with the frequency of drops, but would rather not get dupes (or have them be exceedingly rare). Apparently that will be fixed at the end of the month.

RE: Time To Step Back For A Bit.

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 13:58 (1983 days ago) @ Kermit

I have only had one exotic drop since Forsaken released, that I can recall.
And it was for arms I already own (and never use).
So I am not thrilled with that aspect of D2 right now either.
and a couple other things as well..
..but I am really enjoying the story and new activities.
also, I am in love with the Dreaming City! Amazing job by whomever designed it!

I have not played as much as you have yet Raga. I am sitting at around 545 right now.
and still a LOT more exploring to do in new areas.

Raga - Did you find all the lore to earn the Chronicler badge?

I still have a lot to hunt down

Pedantic Correction... with a dank meme

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 15, 2018, 11:38 (1982 days ago) @ Dame117

I am in love with the Dreaming City! Amazing job by whomever designed it!

[image]

I am in love with the Dreaming City! Amazing job by the Bungie teams who collaborated together to create it!

[image]

Pedantic Correction

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 13:41 (1982 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

No correction necessary. Her comment in no way implied a singular person. “Whomever” can be multiple people.

Pedantic ≠ Necessary. ⚆ _ ⚆

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 15, 2018, 15:42 (1981 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Not relevant.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 16:44 (1981 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Doesn't matter if it means necessary or not - pedantry requires that your response be accurate. Yours isn't; CheapLEY's right, the original sentence was accurate as written. No correction was required. Your response wasn't pedantic, it was just wrong.

Lost in the Spiral

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 15, 2018, 21:20 (1981 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, October 15, 2018, 21:23

Doesn't matter if it means necessary or not - pedantry requires that your response be accurate. Yours isn't; CheapLEY's right, the original sentence was accurate as written. No correction was required. Your response wasn't pedantic, it was just wrong.

Communication! On the internet! yAy!

Looks like it's time to retrace some steps here, and return a disproportionate amount of energy upon both post, my in question padantic-ness of source post and its words there in. Now I'm lost in a spiral of interpretation and tone. What ever am I to do? Not respond and take it, regardless my thoughts on it? Pish posh! Had I done that, I wouldn't be wasting my efforts right now defending it! So let's gather around an learn from the splinter I simply had to pluck from my brain.

Let's start this little flimflam with the merriam-webster.com rabbit hole; Starting with the definition of pedantic.

Pedantic adjective
pe·dan·tic | \pi-ˈdan-tik
\
Definition of pedantic

1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant a pedantic teacher

2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly

3 : unimaginative, dull

Pedant noun
ped·ant | \ˈpe-dᵊnt
\
Definition of pedant

1 obsolete : a male schoolteacher

2a : one who makes a show of knowledge

b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge

c : a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Minutia noun
mi·nu·tia | \mə-ˈnü-sh(ē-)ə,
mī-, -ˈnyü-\
plural minutiae\mə-ˈnü-shē-ˌē,
-ˌī, mī-, -ˈnyü- \
Definition of minutia

: a minute or minor detail —usually used in plural
He was bewildered by the contract's minutiae.

Wasn't that FUN! Cool.

-but wait the fun has only started!-

Let us observe the title I chose - "Pedantic Correction... with a dank meme"

What am I saying about my own post ? ... ignoring my apparent admiration for dank memes. Yo.

I'm saying that it is a narrow and exacting observation. A fussy nit-pick. I did not need to add it, but was compelled other wise. Thus... to skip ahead real quick, the "Pedantic ≠ Necessary" rebuttal. It has nothing to do with requirement. To in which, the heart of that matter: "whomever". While Dame117 was absolutely correct, I found it to be far too singular for my minds ears, regardless its multipurpose interpretive nature. AGAIN! I'm saying that my post is a narrow and exacting observation. A fussy nit-pick. Thus: "the Bungie teams who collaborated together to create" ... which, by the way is not wrong. BOTH are true. Collaboration between teams of artists (and otherwise) is how things get done, more often than not in interactive media studios. I have not changed the meaning, just provided different, more exacting words.

I could go far far deeper on this train of thought, but this by all accounts should be enough. I hope. If ANY of that makes no logical sense (sans the "impulse" deal) please say so. Furthermore, if I have in my errant impulse blindly made offense, *somehow*, I apologize. It just... it didn't seem "right" to me and I "corrected" it.

I'm going to end with this: English has a word order. For those of us who have been born using English as a mother tongue, it is done with out thinking. Yet if those words are out of order, it will feel wrong even if you are given the same amount of information (or it will change the meaning entirely!). In a way this works with how things are said too.

That is the closest representation to what I was feeling in that instant of which I posted.

Thank you.

Not relevant.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 01:04 (1981 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The real correction should have been whoever instead of whomever.

whoever (subject) designed (verb) it (direct object).

Whom is accusative or dative, not nominative.

Correct.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 22:15 (1980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While whomever seems correct at first blush, since it would be correct if not followed by a phrase, the moment it is, and becomes the subject of the phrase, it goes back into nominative.

That being said, this very usage is considered acceptable by multiple style guides because of the complex nature of the problem.

And THAT being said, it's definitely fine anyway because nobody cares because we all understand it.

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 18:45 (1982 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree. I've gotten one new exotic this season, but I'm having fun. I do think rarity should be at least part of what makes an exotic exotic--I'm fine with the frequency of drops, but would rather not get dupes (or have them be exceedingly rare). Apparently that will be fixed at the end of the month.

I stepped back a few weeks ago and while I wanted to return...I still haven't. I thought about it and I realized that, for me, it wasn't the exotic drop rate...it was the power climb.

I put a decent amount of time into Forsaken the first 2 or 3 weeks. The amount of progress I made on one character (didn't have time to run my other character through the story) was so slow that I wasn't really able to participate in everything I wanted to reliably. Even as I became stronger, it took so long to complete all the things I needed to do to level up, and it was still really damn slow.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 19:20 (1982 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I hear you. I have the same complaint.

I will say that it gets better once you clear the hump. Once you get into the 530s, you can do Nightfalls, which got me over the 540 hump, which made Dreaming City stuff not a complete pain in the ass. The climb sort of snowballs once you clear that hurdle and can feasibly do all the activities.

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 22:15 (1982 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hear you. I have the same complaint.

I will say that it gets better once you clear the hump. Once you get into the 530s, you can do Nightfalls, which got me over the 540 hump, which made Dreaming City stuff not a complete pain in the ass. The climb sort of snowballs once you clear that hurdle and can feasibly do all the activities.

Part of the issue is I tend to run solo. Nightfalls aren't exactly solo material.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 10:51 (1982 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Yeah, that’s a problem.

More than ever before, Destiny feels pretty explicitly geared towards playing with a fireteam.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 11:02 (1982 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I skip out on NFs a lot because the bosses are not readily soloable. However at about 520 running the Ascendant Challenge solo is entirely viable and is how I’ve progressed into the 550’s over the last few weeks.

There are definitely some difficulty spikes.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 15, 2018, 06:42 (1982 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Many activities I still don't do alone, and I'm ~570.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:59 (1981 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I stepped back a few weeks ago and while I wanted to return...I still haven't. I thought about it and I realized that, for me, it wasn't the exotic drop rate...it was the power climb.

I'm the reverse; my recent vacation took me offline for 2 weeks and I couldn't wait to get back - I missed out on so much new stuff (Shattered Throne, Wish-Ender, my raid team's first Riven completion, Malfeasance...). I've been happy with the slow pace of Forsaken just because it seems that there's been new things to do and chase almost every week since launch.

The power climb this time around is definitely more complex - gaining 10-15 levels a week requires understanding the various soft caps and 'powerful reward' mechanics, and letting those dictate what activities to do.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 12:31 (1981 days ago) @ Chappy

My only problem is that it is hard wih alts when all your PowGrams generate weapons. Ugh. My Hunter is up there, but I was slow grinding out to get to the Dreaming City with my Warlock. As in still haven’t.

But I feel the want to get back in. I am neglecting other games right now that I want to play.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 21:55 (1980 days ago) @ Chappy

I'm the reverse; my recent vacation took me offline for 2 weeks and I couldn't wait to get back - I missed out on so much new stuff (Shattered Throne, Wish-Ender, my raid team's first Riven completion, Malfeasance...). I've been happy with the slow pace of Forsaken just because it seems that there's been new things to do and chase almost every week since launch.

The power climb this time around is definitely more complex - gaining 10-15 levels a week requires understanding the various soft caps and 'powerful reward' mechanics, and letting those dictate what activities to do.

And I get that. Problem is, I have 100 other games to play. I'd love to follow the trail of new stuff in Destiny 2, except that would take most of my gaming time.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 22:00 (1980 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

And I get that. Problem is, I have 100 other games to play. I'd love to follow the trail of new stuff in Destiny 2, except that would take most of my gaming time.

I hear you there.

This week is a mess. We're at the final boss of the new Raid. The new Festival of the Lost event is live. It's the best week to try and get the Malfeasance boss to spawn in Gambit. It's Double and Triple Valor in Crucible. The Shattered Throne mission is available.

There's literally not enough time to do it all.

It doens't help that I'm loving Forza Horizon 4, or that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out next week.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 01:37 (1980 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hear you there.

This week is a mess. We're at the final boss of the new Raid. The new Festival of the Lost event is live. It's the best week to try and get the Malfeasance boss to spawn in Gambit. It's Double and Triple Valor in Crucible. The Shattered Throne mission is available.

There's literally not enough time to do it all.

It doens't help that I'm loving Forza Horizon 4, or that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out next week.

This whole situation makes the stark contrast between casual and hardcore really clear. I don't mind having an amusement park's worth of content constantly rotating if I have as long as I need to clear it. But that content has been stale for another part of the fanbase for months and they're angry they can't play new stuff.

I feel like if Bungie was able to be up front about events and cadences like 3 months in advance or something. This content will rotate on this schedule for the next several months, it will not change. Feel free to spread your saturation of the current batch of content over that time frame. These things will stay through to the next block for sure, these things will not for sure.

We shouldn't be asking for games that demand our attention so greedily and no one should be making them. Just my gut intuition for whatever it's worth, but I get the sense that we're going to be seeing some new medical issues arise in this space.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:01 (1980 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

We shouldn't be asking for games that demand our attention so greedily and no one should be making them.

And there lies the problem with AAA+ and games as service.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:05 (1980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We shouldn't be asking for games that demand our attention so greedily and no one should be making them.

Depends on the person. I personally can't afford all those other games that are vying for my attention. So for me, Destiny is great. I can keep playing a game I love and very little cost. If I bounced from game to game every month I would be broke. And a game a month is a very modest time frame. I can normally chew through a game in 2 weeks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:34 (1980 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Depends on the person. I personally can't afford all those other games that are vying for my attention.

Good news. Games get cheaper over time:

[image]

And since they aren't a service but exist unchanging on their own, you can enjoy the single player in basically the same way as you could on release.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:50 (1980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depends on the person. I personally can't afford all those other games that are vying for my attention.

[image]

And since they aren't a service but exist unchanging on their own, you can enjoy the single player in basically the same way as you could on release.

Cheaper, not cheap. It's amazing how cheap Destiny is, if you count how many hours I've played vs how much Destiny has cost me this year...

I've played, according to wastedonDestiny.com 465 hours on Destiny 2 and expansions. I've paid 120 bucks I think? That's almost a buck for 4 hours of play time. Most decent games, even old ones cost about 20 bucks on the cheapest. I doubt I'm going to spend 80 hours on those games. The average game time on AAA games is 40-50 and that is pushing the content. Also to note, I'm not close to finishing Forsaken and having good times with friends.

P.S. I appreciate that you used an XKCD, that made me smile immediately :D

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:04 (1980 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Cheaper, not cheap. It's amazing how cheap Destiny is

Sure is. It's practically free!

[image]

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 02:45 (1979 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[image]

Cheaper, not cheap. It's amazing how cheap Destiny is, if you count how many hours I've played vs how much Destiny has cost me this year...

I've played, according to wastedonDestiny.com 465 hours on Destiny 2 and expansions. I've paid 120 bucks I think? That's almost a buck for 4 hours of play time. Most decent games, even old ones cost about 20 bucks on the cheapest. I doubt I'm going to spend 80 hours on those games. The average game time on AAA games is 40-50 and that is pushing the content. Also to note, I'm not close to finishing Forsaken and having good times with friends.

P.S. I appreciate that you used an XKCD, that made me smile immediately :D

Right, but Destiny is absurdly expensive for me because I've not run most of the Raids across Destiny 1 and 2 even a single time. Can never find a solid group of people. Randoms gatekeep. I've put up requests here and in other spaces that usually get ignored. Destiny is probably the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a game. It's great in a lot of ways, the best in some...but when it comes to monetary value none of that makes up for it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 05:49 (1979 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Right, but Destiny is absurdly expensive for me because I've not run most of the Raids across Destiny 1 and 2 even a single time. Can never find a solid group of people. Randoms gatekeep. I've put up requests here and in other spaces that usually get ignored. Destiny is probably the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a game. It's great in a lot of ways, the best in some...but when it comes to monetary value none of that makes up for it.

And I get that. I just popped in saying that there are two sides to the coin. When I heard the above bold, I just wanted to add that that it wasn't true because there are, from what I've seen, a lot of people where this isn't a problem but actually a benefit. I'm not discounting your experience, because you are the other side of the coin and I'm sorry that you are.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 19, 2018, 18:32 (1977 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Cyber, I think we have another person to take through the raids!

Do them, they rule. We will help you. if you are o PS4 :-p

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, October 19, 2018, 22:03 (1977 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cyber, I think we have another person to take through the raids!

Do them, they rule. We will help you. if you are o PS4 :-p

Thar be the rub. Was on Xbox, migrated to PC. Probably not leaving. :( I appreciate it though!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 21, 2018, 09:25 (1976 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

If you just want to the experience, we can still take you through D1 raids on Xbox.

Yet another opportunity to ask for cross-saves. Can you imagine how much more amazing this community would be if we had it?

i'm sure there are a lot of people who would buy more copies of Destiny just so they could play on different platforms.

I already own D1/2 on all platforms. If only cross saves.

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, October 21, 2018, 15:00 (1976 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 02:42 (1979 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I disagree. GaaS has been working for over a decade; see World of Warcraft. As long as the content created keeps people happy, can be progressed through reasonably, and keeps people happy long enough to level the characters they want.

I think Destiny tries to hard to make every piece of content replayable. Let me get to the few pieces of content that are so good I'll want to replay them...and then let me replay those.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 22:16 (1980 days ago) @ Chappy

My God. I have no idea what anything in your post is.

Same here. Which saddens me greatly

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:02 (1980 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:15 (1980 days ago) @ Funkmon

Guess it's time for another "catch Funkmon up on D2" session in a few days.

Ayyyyup. Sounds like it.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:32 (1980 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 10:45 (1979 days ago) @ stabbim

Guess it's time for another "catch Funkmon up on D2" session in a few days.

Can someone record the meeting so I can watch it later? :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 14:06 (1981 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well, with the way loot drops have been woefully restructured in Forsaken I'm feeling that way again. Exotic drops are virtually nonexistent no matter what activity I play or what buff I equip.

Did you know there's a trophy for getting ten Forsaken exotics?

Well, Y’Know....

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 16:36 (1980 days ago) @ Ragashingo

D1 just entered it’s sixth straight Daybreak. Maybe the step back should be in time!

Void Burn Heroic this week; and Taniks...is Rainbow Burn!!

You heard me. Rainbow Burn Daybreak.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread