Astro making a PS4 controller? (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:23 (1988 days ago)

Astro C40 TR Gaming Controller

[image]

Pre-orders are open for a March 2019 release

• I'm a big fan of most of my Astro gear, but they uhhhh, don't make controllers...
  • Astro was recently acquired by logitech so i'm curious what this means for the direction of the company
  • Only has 2 rear buttons... I'd be sold if it had 4 like the XB1 Elite controller
  • Still may pick it up because I'm generally not a big fan of the dual shock and prefer a more "xbox"y layout

Astro making a PS4 controller?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:29 (1988 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It looks neat. The trailer shows off swapping stick/dpad placement. I’ll consider it, but $200 is steep.

When did controllers become as expensive as consoles?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:39 (1988 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

The second they became modular

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:50 (1988 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It's one thing to build something sturdy, it's another thing to allow a user to re-configure it physically and still make it sturdy.

When did controllers become as expensive as consoles?

by Harmanimus @, Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:51 (1988 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

There has been a premium controller market for a long time. Though a lot of that was Fightsticks and custom work. Stuff is still out there, but the stuff the custom folks were doing got noticed y the bigger companies a few years back.

Why not use your Elite Controller?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 19, 2018, 07:27 (1985 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Canecutter told me he recently bought one of these and he's very pleased. Canecutter says it remembers how you configure your controller on Xbox because the settings are saved in the controller.

I'm not a big fan of non-replaceable batteries in anything, so I was thinking of getting this instead. It basically seems to work the same as the ChronosMax adaptor I used to have, without requiring the crappy Windows-95-era configuration software developed by anti-Mac bigots.

this is a whole new world to me!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 07:47 (1985 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

this is a whole new world to me!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 19, 2018, 08:49 (1985 days ago) @ kidtsunami

All that said, the Astro controller tempts me a little (now that I see you can have an Xbox-style layout). I like having an actual trackpad on the controller, and this looks as close to the Elite as any I've seen, not including that cheap knock-off that Claude bought.

In related news, I've worn out my first set of thumbsticks on the Elite (the tips), and found you can order a replacement set from Microsoft very easily if you have registered your console. I struggled for several days because I assumed I had to register my controller in order to buy them and the site wouldn't let me do it. Don't struggle like me: purchasing Elite replacement parts is an service option for your registered console.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread