My favourite piece of lore so far. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:20 (1959 days ago)

This is priceless. Looks like Shaxx and Mara are more than a 1-time thing ;)

It's not only my customers who keep me running about. People are always coming to me for advice. Sometimes it's "This shader or that?" and "Does this mark look OK on me?" Sometimes it's "Should I hold a Dawning party?" or "Why should I go to their Dawning party?" But sometimes the questions are even more complicated.

I was stealing a moment of quiet one afternoon to organize all the jumbled rolls of wrapping paper, when I heard a resonant voice calling to me. How I jumped!

It was… a certain well-known Titan—not Zavala, but I will not tell you who. Eva Levante does not tattle about sensitive matters.

He was carrying a formidable piece of weaponry, a complicated curve of many metal parts with a thick string connecting the ends. "It's a compound bow," he explained, following my stare. "For shooting arrows." I raised my eyebrows in puzzlement.

On that weapon, he had placed a large pouf of red velvet ribbon. A bow on a bow.

I could tell from the tilt of his helmet and his taut grip on the weapon that something was amiss.

I sighed. I saw this a few times every Dawning. I suspected he was smitten, and this would not be a short conversation.

"Warmest Dawning greetings to you, Torito!" (That is not his actual name, naturally; it is a made-up name.)

"Eva Levante. They say you should give a Dawning gift when you… have a special friend," he boomed, trying to whisper.

"Who is 'they'?" I laughed.

He ignored me. "I bought my friend this bow. Is it a good gift?"

"It all depends on your friend. What do they like? What ARE they like? Can you describe them?"

"She… likes to fight. She is regal. She is very…" The Titan paused. "Is a recurve bow more romantic than a compound bow?" (He managed to whisper this time.)

"Ahhh," I nodded knowingly. I wouldn't know the difference between those weapons, but I understood his problem.

"But maybe a book would be better?" he asked.

"Again, it depends which book you choose."

"I have read Ikora's 'On Circles: Revised Edition,' and it was very good."

"That is a terrible Dawning gift. Might I suggest literature?"

Torito tapped the horn on his helmet to reflect. "I did destroy a book of hers once. Should I replace it?"

"Maybe you should not remind her of a bad thing happening…"

He didn't reply to this, so I went on, "Perhaps this bow is already the right Dawning gift for your friend. Do you think she would use it?"

"Definitely."

"Well, then," I smiled, "you have your answer. Happy Dawning to you and your friend both!"

"And to you, Eva. I hope your Dawning is one to remember."

Then the Titan thanked me, hefted the bow, and strode off.

My favourite piece of lore so far.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:30 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

"It all depends on your friend. What do they like? What ARE they like? Can you describe them?"

"She… likes to fight. She is regal. She is very…" The Titan paused. "Is a recurve bow more romantic than a compound bow?" (He managed to whisper this time.)

Why do you say Mara? It could very well be Petra as well. Regal doesn't always mean they are royalty. Besides, I would hardly say that Mara "likes to fight" but Petra on the other hand.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:35 (1959 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Why do you say Mara? It could very well be Petra as well. Regal doesn't always mean they are royalty. Besides, I would hardly say that Mara "likes to fight" but Petra on the other hand.

Shaxx and Mara have... history. Although it certainly could be Petra. But my money is on Mara, given their pre-establishes relationship:)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:51 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Shaxx and Mara have... history. Although it certainly could be Petra. But my money is on Mara, given their pre-establishes relationship:)

That is a relationship... but the helmet stayed on. Maybe with the bow he was hoping the helmet would come off?

That piece also references the destroyed book.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:55 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 14:02 (1959 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Torito tapped the horn on his helmet to reflect. "I did destroy a book of hers once. Should I replace it?"

"Maybe you should not remind her of a bad thing happening…"

You're right. I didn't catch that. Okay, it's Mara. Unless He is in a habit of destroying books :D

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 14:52 (1959 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It just dawned on me how the book got destroyed...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 06:59 (1959 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yeah, only a Titan would Fist of Havoc a book in his hand.

It was coffee. Coffee destroyed the book.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 08:47 (1959 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

And the way that the "helmet stayed on" encounter is read has always bugged me. People want to make the carnal insinuation; but I think it's a more deft touch at play, so to speak.

The entire flipping point of that bit of lore is his voice. That's the turn-on. That's why she summoned him. That's also what makes it so funny; because disrobing wasn't necessary.

But people are going to interpret and run with it how they see fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~m

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN’T CONCENTRATE WHEN I’M YELLING?!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 09:24 (1959 days ago) @ Malagate

And the way that the "helmet stayed on" encounter is read has always bugged me. People want to make the carnal insinuation; but I think it's a more deft touch at play, so to speak.

The entire flipping point of that bit of lore is his voice. That's the turn-on. That's why she summoned him. That's also what makes it so funny; because disrobing wasn't necessary.

~m

Yeah, I took that line as implying that nothing... physical... happened betweeen them. At least not on that occasion. But it did also imply something beyond formality between them. I like how they handled it :)

On a related note, I have no idea when Shaxx became my favourite Destiny character, but holy crap am I fond of him. He’s so cartoonish, but in a way that really clicks for me. I love his “NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO” line, followed by him doing what she asked, but going above and beyond (by reciting it from memory for her).

XD

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:02 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

~m

Yeah, I took that line as implying that nothing... physical... happened betweeen them. At least not on that occasion. But it did also imply something beyond formality between them. I like how they handled it :)

Same here. And yeah, I really love the lowbrow-ruffian/regal-and-aloof contrast between them. He's the closest thing to a bro that there is in Destiny, and she hangs out in what amounts to an ivory tower.

Not to mention the fact that it's all supposed to be on the DL. Like, are they FwB? Or something more? There's obviously some regard she has for him, despite the disdain she generally holds Guardians in. Maybe they'll throw us a bone eventually and confirm he's the last Tigerman. But I've really enjoyed their, uh, discretion.

On a related note, I have no idea when Shaxx became my favourite Destiny character, but holy crap am I fond of him. He’s so cartoonish, but in a way that really clicks for me. I love his “NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO” line, followed by him doing what she asked, but going above and beyond (by reciting it from memory for her).

I really liked that too. I guess I'm of two minds about him. I preferred back in D1 when it felt like you really had to earn his praise. It made it that much better when you really got him riled up. Now he just pops off left and right. It feels a little...cheaper to me. And in a certain way it's harder to respect him. But it is what it is.

On the other hand, I was really surprised at the beginning of D2 to see him ingame, protecting innocents while we moved on through the wreckage of the tower. And that moment (all 20 seconds of it) has stuck with me more than most other moments in the story. We really need to see the characters we spend the most time with in action in the world. At this point, I'd wager I experience more dialogue from Shaxx than the rest of the Vanguard.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:09 (1959 days ago) @ Malagate

~m

"I can recite The Tempest by heart." And he did. Mara sat and listened. They stayed for a long time.

The helmet stayed on.

Punctuation and visual spacing matter. In my reading, if they had not started a new paragraph there wouldn't be as much interpretive room for a carnal reading of the sentence. However, like the way a comedian gives aural space and subtle tone differences to the punchline of a joke, a new paragraph was added for this sentence. This emphasizes the words in a way that suggests the words shouldn't just be skipped over and that opened the door for interpretative ambiguity. The writers knew what they were doing and I think they intentionally didn't spell it out so that each person's head cannon has space for what they think happened.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:34 (1958 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

~m

"I can recite The Tempest by heart." And he did. Mara sat and listened. They stayed for a long time.

The helmet stayed on.

Everyone finished that last sentence with ".. this time." and you know it :D

Punctuation and visual spacing matter. In my reading, if they had not started a new paragraph there wouldn't be as much interpretive room for a carnal reading of the sentence. However, like the way a comedian gives aural space and subtle tone differences to the punchline of a joke, a new paragraph was added for this sentence. This emphasizes the words in a way that suggests the words shouldn't just be skipped over and that opened the door for interpretative ambiguity. The writers knew what they were doing and I think they intentionally didn't spell it out so that each person's head cannon has space for what they think happened.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:15 (1959 days ago) @ Malagate

Rule 34 went into overdrive on that one.

Internet do wat it do.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:25 (1959 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:57 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

...but how was he drinking the coffee?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 14:22 (1959 days ago) @ ManKitten

...but how was he drinking the coffee?

Emergency induction port.

lol

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:32 (1959 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

He will always be known to me as Torito, from here on in.

Great touch, isn’t it? Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 13:36 (1959 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

lol

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 14:20 (1959 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He will always be known to me as Torito, from here on in.

For the monolinguals who don't get it, it means "Little bull" in Spanish. Ya know, cuz of the horns...

...The helmet stayed on...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 14:30 (1959 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread