Neat Bungie Employee milestone coins and shield. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:02 (1958 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:13

Just saw these on Twitter--they look cool!

EDIT: Okay, so embedding tweets is broken. Everything looks fine when I preview, but it doesn't actually work when I post.

For now, here's the links to the tweets.

https://twitter.com/lars_bakken/status/1074046266101817344

https://twitter.com/Achronos/status/1073874165680156672

https://twitter.com/mehvechan/status/1073766932367568896

[image] [image] [image]
[image] [image] [image]

Neat Bungie Employee milestone coins and shield.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 05:43 (1958 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is stupid cool and I have a powerful need.

looks like emojis now break twitter embed. :(

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 06:22 (1958 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

looks like emojis now break twitter embed. :(

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 09:16 (1958 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah, okay. I’ll try to remember that. I think we’ve had this conversation before a few months ago.

They break DBO posts in general. Time to update the code!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 11:37 (1958 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

They break DBO posts in general. Time to update the code!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 17:11 (1957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As much as I do enjoy this idea of updating the code, let me be the first to say...

[image]

To Internet Herpes AKA Emojis. First it's one. Then two. Then the next thing you know there are no more words... just emojis. >_< Ugh.

It's not a bug of this place that emojis brake in posts... its a feature.

*complains about emojis with an emoji*

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 17:15 (1957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Easy mistake. It's Kaomoji (Emoticons). TextBased. No Color.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 17:23 (1957 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

unimportant semantic distinction.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, December 17, 2018, 02:12 (1957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Semantics matter. Your acceptance to it is irrelevant.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 17, 2018, 12:23 (1957 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, December 17, 2018, 13:09

Edit: It occurs to me that this titles statement might not be enough.

If I say I hate aikido, that doesn’t mean I hate martial arts. It means I hate that style.
If I say I hate broccoli, that doesn’t mean I hate vegetables. It means I hate that vegetable.
Inversely, if I say I hate jewelry, that implies I hate sapphires, diamonds, opals, and that whole lot, but you would have to know all the things associated with said word.

Semantics matter. Foolishly disregarding it opens yourself to misunderstanding, and ultimately making a fool of your self or causing harm. Words don't exist because they don't matter.

Semantics matter. Your acceptance to it is irrelevant.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:03 (1957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

No, but context also matters, and functions of common usage are more important to correct communication than technicalities.

Thus we've come full circle.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 17, 2018, 17:08 (1956 days ago) @ Harmanimus

No, but context also matters, and functions of common usage are more important to correct communication than technicalities.

Yet, when technicalities do arise, I pray you do not suffer to them as you seem to have here with whatever philosophy in communication you are using. Like it or not they exist in purpose, regardless the oft use in ease of a more casual use of verse. I spoke as I did since they are not the same. Each has their own characteristic in communicating, which is why I corrected as I did, and used as I did. At this point, I think I've made that unnecessarily clear.

This is why I did as I did. You made an observation, which I totally understand, which is why I clarified. It's clear it's not what you would have posted, and that's ok. Paint with a different brush and all that.

...¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

I shall say no more.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 09:06 (1956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Given that this is not discourse on a legal contract or other binding document, common usage is all that matters for the communication. Something something meaning exists with the listener. Hence why communication is back-and-forth. I don’t think anyone is suffering for this, though. It was a fun diversion. So, thanks.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 09:46 (1956 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Given that this is not discourse on a legal contract or other binding document, common usage is all that matters for the communication. Something something meaning exists with the listener. Hence why communication is back-and-forth. I don’t think anyone is suffering for this, though. It was a fun diversion. So, thanks.

I think we fall back on more concrete meanings instead of context because in the world of the internet it's incredibly hard to understand peoples context and style of righting and all that. So it's always safe to fall back on very concrete meanings that everyone should know.

This actually proved it too, you two eventually found out each others context through a series of back and forths, but from the get go that wouldn't have worked.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 14:05 (1956 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think the initial comments got their points across with context. The remaining (fun) discussion was a tangent to that.

Oh look.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, December 21, 2018, 14:08 (1953 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have no more to say, and clearly nothing more has been said, but the timing was just... too good to pass this up. Note how things are to be broken up into common usage. Hmmm.

Neat.

Says that guy that talks mostly with animated GIFs.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 19:39 (1957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

(:

In my orginal edit, I made mention of this.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 20:03 (1957 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Something along the lines of "if the guy who regularly uses multimedia to speak hates it, it must be pretty bad." I mean... I composed my post as I did on purpose here. I suppose this is what I get for ...whatever the reason was... removing that last bit. Y'all pointing out the obvious like I did it by accident.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread