So, I've been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Gaming)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 22:49 (3864 days ago)

Here are some words about my first playthrough. Cross-posted from my Tumblr.

In video games, folks talk about the balance between “story” and “gameplay” to the point of cliche. ”Choice” systems are endlessly debated and analysed. What makes a game great? Can games even be great?

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of those examples that helps set the bar as far as what this medium is capable of. The reason is that the story evolves organically from the gameplay, with the gameplay (and mastering it) remaining the primary reason to, well, play the game.

As far as the “story” goes, my “Volunteer” joined the XCOM project after they stopped an alien terror attack in his home country of Mexico. Gifted in support of his fellow soldiers, he rose as the defacto leader. Eventually, he became the one person capable of ending the alien threat.

But because that story was told as I myself took my first steps into this game, as I begun to learn what made it tick, what happened to him at the end mattered as much, if not more, than any of the characters in any of the so called “story driven games” I’ve played over the years.

I’m looking forward to getting better at XCOM, and seeing what other stories emerge during that journey.

As far as you are concerned, dear reader, want to get games? Play this one.

So, I've been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 23:13 (3864 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I love XEU, it's one of my favorite games. I couldn't put it down for about a month after I got it. Then I hit the final level. Keep hitting a brick wall every time I try to play it. Really need to give it another go...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 23:39 (3864 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Keep hitting a brick wall every time I try to play it. Really need to give it another go...

...Have you tried going around?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 23:54 (3864 days ago) @ Leviathan

Assaults with Alloy Cannons on the flanks, specifically. :P

Hardy har har. :P

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, October 09, 2013, 10:04 (3863 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread