Crown of Sorrows Raid Update (Destiny)

by JaXon Bourne, Thursday, May 23, 2019, 15:52 (1761 days ago)

See the link: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/47832

Key passage:

When Crown of Sorrow goes live on June 4th at 4 p.m. Pacific, here is what to expect:

• While Contest is active, players will face an enforced challenge throughout the Raid. This means, Power beyond certain levels will provide no advantage for a given fight (e.g., for the first fight all Power above 700 won't provide an advantage, and for the final fight Power above 720 will not provide an advantage).
  • We are going to deploy the update at 8AM Pacific and the game will be down until 10AM Pacific, so that as many players as possible can get through the download and verification step and be ready for Opulence launch.

I REALLY Like this

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, May 23, 2019, 16:50 (1761 days ago) @ JaXon Bourne

Key passage:

When Crown of Sorrow goes live on June 4th at 4 p.m. Pacific, here is what to expect:

• While Contest is active, players will face an enforced challenge throughout the Raid. This means, Power beyond certain levels will provide no advantage for a given fight (e.g., for the first fight all Power above 700 won't provide an advantage, and for the final fight Power above 720 will not provide an advantage).
  • We are going to deploy the update at 8AM Pacific and the game will be down until 10AM Pacific, so that as many players as possible can get through the download and verification step and be ready for Opulence launch.

I was already somewhat excited about the start time, but now I'm really excited to see how flattening the power advantage will affect all of the teams racing for world's first. At the very least, we know for sure that the first encounter is totally doable even if you can't do any level grinding before jumping in.

-Disciple

Also, important info about the raid in today's THAB

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, May 23, 2019, 16:59 (1761 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47833

Most important for those jumping in on day one:

Players will not be able to access the Crown of Sorrow raid if they have not yet completed the Season of Opulence Power Surge quest, even after this raid unlocks at 4 PM PDT. This will apply to all members in a Fireteam.

The quest only has to be completed once per account, not character.

-Disciple

So 4pm PST is 7pm EST

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, May 24, 2019, 06:25 (1761 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Anyone want to actually try and beat it?

So 4pm PST is 7pm EST

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, May 24, 2019, 08:54 (1761 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Anyone want to actually try and beat it?

I'm down. Squid's event starts just an hour after the raid opens. Will give us just a bit more time to level up for the later encounters before jumping in. And I've got the next day off, so I don't have to worry about sleep if we run a bit late.

-Disciple

So 4pm PST is 7pm EST

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:26 (1761 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Ahh true.

So 4pm PST is 7pm EST

by squidnh3, Friday, May 24, 2019, 10:07 (1761 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yeah let's switch that off tentative, Chris. Commit!

So 4pm PST is 7pm EST

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, May 24, 2019, 13:53 (1761 days ago) @ squidnh3

You ask my wife then! Good luck

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 23, 2019, 17:52 (1761 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Still sucks for those of us that don't want to grind out the power, but it definitely makes it more feasible. So we know that the entire raid can be completed at 720.

It's honestly enough that I might fire up Destiny soon and see how it feels.

I REALLY Like this

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 23, 2019, 23:47 (1761 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Key passage:

I was already somewhat excited about the start time, but now I'm really excited to see how flattening the power advantage will affect all of the teams racing for world's first. At the very least, we know for sure that the first encounter is totally doable even if you can't do any level grinding before jumping in.

-Disciple

If Bungie is cool with eliminating power advantage here, they might as well go and eliminate it everywhere! Baby steps guys!

I REALLY Like this

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, May 24, 2019, 06:49 (1761 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If Bungie is cool with eliminating power advantage here, they might as well go and eliminate it everywhere! Baby steps guys!

You know, there is still the whole, power is a core foundation of the entire game thing. But I'm sure it will be easy to rip that out and the game will just run fine.

I REALLY Like this

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:36 (1761 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

We already know they can normalize power level or ignore it completely, so, yeah, honestly it probably wouldn’t be that hard to turn it off.

The merits of doing so are another matter.

I REALLY Like this

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 07:19 (1757 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We already know they can normalize power level or ignore it completely, so, yeah, honestly it probably wouldn’t be that hard to turn it off.

We know they can temporarily do it for a small subset of their game. To remove it completely is very different. I have literally lived with a miss spelled variable in my code for over a year because some guy did it and it's now so intertwined in the code that to just change the name would change a ton of systems.

I REALLY Like this

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 08:51 (1757 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

We know they can temporarily do it for a small subset of their game. To remove it completely is very different. I have literally lived with a miss spelled variable in my code for over a year because some guy did it and it's now so intertwined in the code that to just change the name would change a ton of systems.

No find and replace?

I REALLY Like this

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 09:13 (1757 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No find and replace?

If the variable is only in your code, sure. Doesn't means it's not in other people's code/projects. Turns out software has gotten very complex in the last 20 year :D

I REALLY Like this

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 21:08 (1755 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If the variable is only in your code, sure. Doesn't means it's not in other people's code/projects. Turns out software has gotten very complex in the last 20 year :D

Yeah dude tell me about it. Why is my FTP program 90 megabytes?

I REALLY Like this

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 07:09 (1755 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah dude tell me about it. Why is my FTP program 90 megabytes?

That sounds like bad programming :D

I REALLY Like this

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Saturday, May 25, 2019, 00:56 (1760 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I agree man, I really feel like this is going to make everything an even playing field for everyone, absolutely love the way the new raid race is going to work though I wish it wasn't launching on the day but the week after or something.

Detailed breakdown of how power levels effect damage output

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 25, 2019, 08:05 (1760 days ago) @ JaXon Bourne

This might be helpful for anyone who is gearing up for the raid:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/bsnwf7/power_level_delta_misconceptions_and_how_they_can/

It’s worth digging through the comments in the tread, too. Some additional info there.

The TL;DR version:

Each incremental increase in power level effects your damage output. This runs counter to the common misconception that power level only matters in “brackets”. In other words, the jump from 650->651 seems to make just as much difference as the jump from 649->650.

Also worthy of note; the power level of a weapon does effect its damage output, even if your total power level remains the same.
For example, a 680 Better Devils will do more damage than a 650 Better Devils, even if your total power level is 665 in both cases.

However, increasing your overall power level makes a bigger difference to your damage output. So in terms of damage output, you’re better off maxing out your overall power level, even if that means forgoing your highest level primary weapon. For instance, if my highest primary weapon is a 670 Thorn, but my highest Heavy weapon is a 700 Tractor Cannon, I’m generally better off equipping the Tractor Cannon because that will do more to raise my total power level, therefore increasing my damage output across the board. Obviously, that doesn’t account for the unique needs of any given encounter.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread