*OT* Halo Infinite: "Discover Hope" Trailer (Gaming)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Sunday, June 09, 2019, 18:05 (1795 days ago)

And my man crush is re-ignited.

I really hope this game comes out well. Halo 4 was the last release I played and have stopped caring about the franchise.

*OT* Halo Infinite: "Discover Hope" Trailer

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 19:04 (1795 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Avateur, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 19:12

Master Chief looks great, the control room looks great, and they’re using proper sound effects again. But it didn’t show much of anything, the Oni guy and his ship don’t look all that great graphically, and then there’s the most important thing to remember whenever dealing with 343, their words, and their marketing: It might look or sound good, but let's not forget playing good is the important thing.

But from that showing alone, no way I’d buy it. Not hyped. Can’t wait for Reach to get added to MCC.

Amen, Brother.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 21:40 (1795 days ago) @ Avateur

When Infinite was announced, everybody was foaming and screaming and tenting their pants, ready to instantly forgive 343i for everything, completely forgetting that there was no gameplay in the trailer whatsoever. These were the same who tried to boycott and ban Halo 5 because of microtransactions, and the ones who sent death threats over the limpout of the MCC launch.

It does indeed look pretty, but that does nothing really until we actually see a controller in someone's hands. I'll probably buy it (hopefully it won't be exclusive to that Scarlett thing), but that'll be my last one. It's time to hang the saddle up.

Amen, Brother.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 10, 2019, 06:53 (1794 days ago) @ Morpheus

When Infinite was announced, everybody was foaming and screaming and tenting their pants, ready to instantly forgive 343i for everything, completely forgetting that there was no gameplay in the trailer whatsoever. These were the same who tried to boycott and ban Halo 5 because of microtransactions, and the ones who sent death threats over the limpout of the MCC launch.

It does indeed look pretty, but that does nothing really until we actually see a controller in someone's hands. I'll probably buy it (hopefully it won't be exclusive to that Scarlett thing), but that'll be my last one. It's time to hang the saddle up.

I'm just looking forward to, what appears to be, a game that features Master Chief as the hero again...and a Halo as a major plot point. Halo 4 story started to go off the rails but put a nice touch on Chief's "purpose". I only know enough about H5 that I just pretend it doesn't exist.

Amen, Brother.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 07:16 (1794 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm just looking forward to, what appears to be, a game that features Master Chief as the hero again...and a Halo as a major plot point. Halo 4 story started to go off the rails but put a nice touch on Chief's "purpose". I only know enough about H5 that I just pretend it doesn't exist.

I played Halo 5 all the way through. I completely forget the plot of the entire game. That alone says something.

Amen, Brother.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:15 (1794 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I played Halo 5 all the way through. I completely forget the plot of the entire game. That alone says something.

I borrowed it and played it. I can't tell you what happened. My son had to explain the trailer to me, because apparently it ties into a post credits scene from Halo 5.
I was totally lost on why he was floating in space.

Amen, Brother.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:48 (1794 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by MacAddictXIV, Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:14

I borrowed it and played it. I can't tell you what happened. My son had to explain the trailer to me, because apparently it ties into a post credits scene from Halo 5.
I was totally lost on why he was floating in space.

Yeah, I'm going to need a synopsis of Halo 5...

[Edit]

Wow, after reading the Halo 4 and 5 wiki pages, I don't remember either of those games ending in cliff hangers. Huh. We shall see what Halo Infinite is going to be like.

Amen, Brother.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:03 (1793 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So i had never seen the Halo 5 legendary ending. Just watched the final cutscene and the legendary teaser:

A) I totally forgot 99% of what happened. Only thing that i had remembered is that the AIs had rebelled against humanity.

B) I never realized that Luke Cage was Locke until now.

Given how awesome Halo 5 felt, I am P-U-M-P-E-D

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:15 (1794 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 19:05 (1795 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'll smack this dead horse a bit more . . .

I liked Halo 5 a lot. Most of the hate is completely undeserved. It's the best-feeling Halo yet. I'm excited for more Halo on that premise alone. I hope they don't abandon the movement abilities or general gameplay style in favor of chasing the old Halo feel, as I think Halo 5 was damn near perfect in still feeling absolutely like Halo, but also having the faster pace of a modern first person shooter.

While I'm totally okay with a move to a more nostalgic art style, 343i's armor for the Master Chief has always looked really fucking cool in my book, and I miss it already. It looked tanky in a really great way.

That said, I'm totally stoked for Halo Infinite. I still love Halo and I'm ready for more.

I wish there had been more of a gameplay pitch there, although it's interested that there's been a pretty large time skip. The "boot up" screen says that his armor BIOS was last updated by Halsey in 2561. Halo 5 took place in 2558, so it's been a few years.

Also, I wonder what the Xbox LIVE code was for in that screen. I tried to redeemed, but of course it was already used. I thought maybe it'd be a universal code for a theme or something, but apparently not.

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 19:58 (1795 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Article on that.

Some people thought this text looked like codes, so they tried plugging them into their Xbox. Turns out, Microsoft was hiding a number of vouchers for Game Pass Ultimate in the trailers, as fans on social media are attesting to:

New Xbox Elite Controller--$179.99

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 20:50 (1795 days ago) @ ManKitten

I just purchased a new Elite controller last week

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 21:25 (1795 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Lol

I just purchased a new Elite controller last week

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:11 (1794 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Welp, you can use store-bought rechargeable batteries. Better, I think.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:30 (1794 days ago) @ Kermit

Quit taking away my AA slots you idiots!

elite advice

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 13:14 (1794 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by CougRon, Monday, June 10, 2019, 13:34

I've had problems with my regular controllers, especially connecting charging cables to them (I have to bend and wrap the wires to get the controllers to charge). I've considered going for an elite. Should I wait till November or should I look at deals for the Elite 1 now? I can get slightly used from amazon for lower.

elite advice

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 10, 2019, 14:20 (1794 days ago) @ CougRon

I've had problems with my regular controllers, especially connecting charging cables to them (I have to bend and wrap the wires to get the controllers to charge). I've considered going for an elite. Should I wait till November or should I look at deals for the Elite 1 now? I can get slightly used from amazon for lower.

For what it's worth, I watched the trailer for the new Elite and didn't see much to make me want it over the original Elite. But that's because I barely use any of the features on the original. I don't use the paddles, I don't bother with the "preset" button layouts, I use the default sticks and D-pad, I don't bother with the hair trigger switches. So for me, there probably isn't enough of a difference to warrant an upgrade.

However, if I hadn't just purchased a fresh Elite, and I didn't need a new controller ASAP, I might wait for the Elite 2. If nothing else, the recharge/docking station and ~40 battery life sounds fantastic. I've found that the Elites can be a bit hit and miss with 3rd party docking stations/rechargeable battery packs. They don't always fit perfectly, and sometimes take some nudging to get them to seat properly.

elite advice

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 19:00 (1794 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

hmm, okay. I probably wouldn't use most of the features either. Your mention of some of the new features are compelling reasons to preorder and wait.

one other thought occurs to me: is the new elite controller going to be compatible with Scarlett, the new generation console launching next year? I haven't seen mention. I dont see mention but being able to move an expensive controller over might be a plus.

elite advice

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:22 (1793 days ago) @ CougRon

hmm, okay. I probably wouldn't use most of the features either. Your mention of some of the new features are compelling reasons to preorder and wait.

one other thought occurs to me: is the new elite controller going to be compatible with Scarlett, the new generation console launching next year?

It would be ludicrous for it not be given how they launched it. But they have confirmed that it is. I looking for a real gesture of good will: make series 1 compatible, too.

elite advice

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:27 (1793 days ago) @ Kermit

It is. They say accessories are compatible across generations and there was a quote how they weren’t going to make people rebuy stuff just for Scarlett.

Yes!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:03 (1792 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Another pro-consumer decision. I've been thinking about where Xbox would be if they hadn't gotten their ass kicked at E3 in 2013. To me all that's happened since has been a textbook illustration of the free market improving the options for consumers because of competition.

Arriving In Pieces And On Fire, Holiday 2020.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 21:43 (1795 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

New Xbox Elite Controller--$179.99

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:46 (1794 days ago) @ cheapLEY

New shoulder button design makes me hopeful this controller will last longer than my last two elite controllers did. Both of them suffered from broken shoulder buttons.

I really hope they got new rubber suppliers

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:30 (1794 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Both my regular thumbsticks, all the rubber grips and one of my convex thumbstick are shot to hell already...

I wish there was a version without the rubber.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:32 (1793 days ago) @ ZackDark

The normal plastic is complete fine, and I don’t have to worry about it peeling. All the reports of rubber separation was a huge factor in me skipping the Elite, and now they go and add even more rubber. Real smart move.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:15 (1793 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The normal plastic is complete fine, and I don’t have to worry about it peeling. All the reports of rubber separation was a huge factor in me skipping the Elite, and now they go and add even more rubber. Real smart move.

You always want a rubber on your knob! Don’t play unprotected kids.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:37 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I never had the slightest issue with tihs, so I have to wonder what kind of care was taken of those controllers. I mean, I'm sure that there are MANY people who play way more than me, but I played enough to have the replace the thumbsticks, but that was within what I consider a reasonable period of time.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 14:00 (1792 days ago) @ Kermit

I never had the slightest issue with tihs, so I have to wonder what kind of care was taken of those controllers.

Except for wearing out a paddle button and snapping the plastic on a bumper (which still works anyway) my Elite controller is basically pristine after more than 3 years of constant use. I attribute this partly to being able to re-map sprint off the movement stick, as that was the biggest cause of controller wear before (my first Xbox One controller lasted maybe 6 months).

However, some people just seem to have corrosive sweat, or just grip a lot harder I guess. When we used to share controllers back in the Halo 1 LAN days, you could always tell one of my friend's controllers because the sticks were completely smooth on top.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 14:19 (1792 days ago) @ squidnh3

I never had the slightest issue with tihs, so I have to wonder what kind of care was taken of those controllers.

Except for wearing out a paddle button and snapping the plastic on a bumper (which still works anyway) my Elite controller is basically pristine after more than 3 years of constant use. I attribute this partly to being able to re-map sprint off the movement stick, as that was the biggest cause of controller wear before (my first Xbox One controller lasted maybe 6 months).

However, some people just seem to have corrosive sweat, or just grip a lot harder I guess. When we used to share controllers back in the Halo 1 LAN days, you could always tell one of my friend's controllers because the sticks were completely smooth on top.

Corrosive sweat, huh. Is this your friend?

[image]

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 08:32 (1791 days ago) @ squidnh3

I do both of these things. I've contemplated getting an elite controller but I don't think I would ever be able to use the paddles because I play xbox very tensely. I wish I could just relax more but I don't know if it's possible... It's like when something on the screen flies past your head and you reflexively move your body to get out of the way.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 14:02 (1792 days ago) @ Kermit

That could very well be true. I generally find that some people who complain about build quality are very hard on controllers. Other than the sticky bumper on the launch Xbox One controller, I’ve never had a controller with any issues. No rubber on sticks falling apart, no broken buttons, no case issues.

I’m just not a fan of rubber grips in general. I mostly don’t like the way it feels. But I have seen many reports of issues with. Obviously there’s no real data, but I saw it enough that it was concerning.

I’ll still probably buy one though.

I love the grips, but they don't love me back

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 14:36 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I definitely have said 'corrosive sweat'. The grips and thumbsticks clearly started wearing away at about where my hands and thumbs sweat the most.

Favorite armor since the Mark V from the original HCE

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 21:53 (1795 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Grizzlei, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 22:01

The Master Chief himself looks properly bulked up and fully inhabits that armor. I suspect it has a whole lot to do with this stellar lighting on Slipspace Engine. That light olive green color is just so pretty. Then that old Mark V energy shield boot up/recharge brought me back to some delightful childhood memories. Feels like we’re in for a good time on the simple fact that John’s wearing a dapper new armor from Dr. Halsey herself.

Yeah, the aesthetics in this are A+

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:27 (1794 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The Master Chief himself looks properly bulked up and fully inhabits that armor. I suspect it has a whole lot to do with this stellar lighting on Slipspace Engine. That light olive green color is just so pretty. Then that old Mark V energy shield boot up/recharge brought me back to some delightful childhood memories. Feels like we’re in for a good time on the simple fact that John’s wearing a dapper new armor from Dr. Halsey herself.

I really hope the game plays half as well as it appears to look...

Which leads to an MA37 being an interesting choice.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 10:18 (1794 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 10, 2019, 10:49 (1794 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I love quite enjoyed playing this series for the first time on Solo Legendary for Guardians. It’s only the narrative I’ve got a few gripes with. Can’t imagine Infinite won’t at least be fun.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, June 10, 2019, 11:14 (1794 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I love quite enjoyed playing this series for the first time on Solo Legendary for Guardians. It’s only the narrative I’ve got a few gripes with. Can’t imagine Infinite won’t at least be fun.

Yeah, it re-ignited my love of playing Halo on Legendary. It also is the best contextualized Halo IMO. The characters, environments, all felt like the parts of the greater Halo universe that we hadn't had a chance to see before. Reminded me of ODST...

by Coaxkez, Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:04 (1794 days ago) @ ManKitten

Halo 5 had excellent gameplay, but a terrible story. Here's hoping Halo Infinite delivers on both counts.

Also, hi.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 10, 2019, 14:32 (1794 days ago) @ ManKitten

And my man crush is re-ignited.

I really hope this game comes out well. Halo 4 was the last release I played and have stopped caring about the franchise.

For me, this trailer really misses the mark. It's good... everything in it looks good. But for me, this is the kind of trailer that would have made more sense last year, as a sort of announcement teaser. At this point however, I want to see the game. Not a cutscene or mood piece or anything like that. I want to see what makes this game worth playing. Because at this point, "more Halo" just isn't enough to get me excited.

Now, the game is still a long way from launching, so I could totally understand the argument that its too early to show the game. Cool. I can wait. But this... it was just such a non-event of a trailer, yet it was given the closing slot in the press conference as if it were a huge deal. I'd have rather they just didn't mention it at all this year, if they aren't ready to show more.

I think that Halo has hit the point where its relevance should no longer be taken for granted. Microsoft and 343 need to earn the public's enthusiasm back. And I'm rooting for them. I would absolutely love to be thrilled about a new Halo game again. I just need them to show me why I should be :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 10, 2019, 16:29 (1794 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah. Even if it was like that original Destiny 1 trailer that had all of 5 seconds worth of first person shooting... at least we could see the game. Get some minimal amount of feel for it. That said... the old shield recharge sound was glorious. I'd much rather have that one sound on a 6 hour loop than the entirety of Halo 4 and 5.

Also... how the heck did the Chief get above a broken Halo?? Last I recall he was on the Forerunner megaplanet with the pink Monitor... or did he make it back to Infinity? Him floating in space was a bit of a disconnect there for me. Or... maybe I'm just so disconnected from Halo I'm supposed to know all of this already? Was it was in a book or comic? Or it's a "tantalizing mystery" that I would have been excited to solve a decade ago but am now just "tell me already" about?

Halo does need to prove itself to me again. I'm going to give it a chance, but yes... this trailer was that fun of a tech demo.

Wake me when... there's something worth seeing.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 16:33 (1794 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Chief and the rest of the Spartans were on the Infinity at the end of Halo 5.

This is three years later according to the armor boot up sequence. A good time skip is a good way to distance themselves from Halo 5, I think.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 18:15 (1794 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It fits well into their trend of “that didn’t quite work right, let’s put the interesting stuff in external media and resolve our cliffhanger off screen or in a brief unsatisfying way to open up for a new direction.

I’m not holding my breath, though distance from 5 isn’t bad. It wasn’t a bad game, but it definitely wasn’t a particularly good Halo. Regarding campaign.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:11 (1793 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It's the only campaign I didn't jump into multiple times years later. I still play Halo 1 with my friends, and am happy the whole time.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 21:14 (1792 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

It's the only campaign I didn't jump into multiple times years later. I still play Halo 1 with my friends, and am happy the whole time.

It’s hard not to walk away with the silliest smile after playing the first and second halves of that game. Halo and AOTCR are a breath of fresh air.

Oners

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2019, 15:21 (1794 days ago) @ ManKitten

There are only 4 shots in this trailer.

There seems to be a trend going around do do cinematics in long takes or oners. Kojima's been doing it with Death Stranding and MGS V, Naughty Dog's last Last of Trailer was all one shot, and this trailer uses them too.

I don't know what to make of this just yet, but it worked better here than in the previously mentioned. I wonder if the idea is to bridge the continuity of the visual experience of playing. Or maybe it's just to show off. Who knows.

Oners

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 16:28 (1794 days ago) @ Cody Miller

God Of War did their entire game in “one shot,” if you ignore going into menus.

It’s neat, but it absolutely doesn’t seem worth all the extra work they talk about having to do to make it happen. In fact, if they hadn’t heavily marketed that aspect, I suspect wouldn’t have noticed.

Oners

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2019, 16:51 (1794 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It’s neat, but it absolutely doesn’t seem worth all the extra work they talk about having to do to make it happen. In fact, if they hadn’t heavily marketed that aspect, I suspect wouldn’t have noticed.

I mean… you're eliminating a really powerful tool (the cut) when you do it for everything.

Oners

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:15 (1794 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean… you're eliminating a really powerful tool (the cut) when you do it for everything.

That can be the case, but I feel like oners have a strength for mood. In the Halo trailer, it's to highlight the slowness of the scene's pace, and the claustrophobic nature of the interior.

They are also a really powerful tool for things like building tension or a sense of desperation, such as the way Alfonso Cuaron uses them in film, and the entirety of the Stranger's visit in God of War.
Actually, if you think about it, God of War is (as weird as it is to say) a collection of oners linked together by a lack of cuts. The pacing between is generally excellent, and the camera work becomes very involved in the cinematography of the scenes (unlike say, Dead Space, where it's always passively over Isaac's shoulder).

I've been seeing these long takes more and more in gaming (Uncharted 4 was loaded with them, but because there were so many "normal" cutscenes, and so many flow seamlessly between gameplay and cutscene, it may be easy to miss).

Oners

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:35 (1794 days ago) @ Korny

That can be the case, but I feel like oners have a strength for mood. In the Halo trailer, it's to highlight the slowness of the scene's pace, and the claustrophobic nature of the interior.

The Halo trailer did it well… they knew when to hold vs where to cut. MGS V is infuriating because there is no sense of when to cut.

Actually, if you think about it, God of War is (as weird as it is to say) a collection of oners linked together by a lack of cuts. The pacing between is generally excellent, and the camera work becomes very involved in the cinematography of the scenes (unlike say, Dead Space, where it's always passively over Isaac's shoulder).

I haven't played God of War, and I probably won't, but I am curious. I could always watch videos.

Oners

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:54 (1794 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I haven't played God of War, and I probably won't, but I am curious. I could always watch videos.

I have a really difficult time judging whether you'll enjoy a game or not, but you absolutely should give God of War a shot. It is an excellent video game that was satisfying to me on every level from exploration to combat to storytelling.

Oners

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2019, 19:03 (1794 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have a really difficult time judging whether you'll enjoy a game or not, but you absolutely should give God of War a shot. It is an excellent video game that was satisfying to me on every level from exploration to combat to storytelling.

That's what people said about Horizon Zero Dawn… and none of it was true lol.

And you know. Dishonored is still unfinished…

Oners

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:57 (1794 days ago) @ Korny

I've been seeing these long takes more and more in gaming (Uncharted 4 was loaded with them, but because there were so many "normal" cutscenes, and so many flow seamlessly between gameplay and cutscene, it may be easy to miss).

That's the thing--I appreciate the long takes, and God of War does that very well, and it's immediately noticeable. I guess calling the entire game a single take seems a little silly. 90% of every game is a single take, since you're just playing the game. There's also dying as the player which makes it not a single shot at all. It was just a weird thing to hype up, I think.

It's really the transition in and out of cutscenes that make it stand out, and God of War excelled at that.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:25 (1792 days ago) @ ManKitten

I came across a video recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

Not having played the PC version of Halo 1, I did always wonder why the game seemed flat on MCC, and remember reading it was a shader issue because the Xbox's GPU was custom and couldn't be duplicated. But it's apparently not. It's just a flat out mistake. Look at all of the graphical issues in the game that make the MCC version look worse than the original.

Remakes and remasters are supposed to improve or at least match the visual fidelity of the originals. I guess the MCC actually makes the original look worse. That's… very upsetting. I can see a generation of folks who go back to play Halo, only to see a version that is worse than what they would have had if they had played the original.

This is not something I expected from a company who loves Halo and holds Bungie in high regard. The MCC is how many people will experience Halo for the first time. It is most definitely tarnishing the legacy of the original game.

Part of me wonders if they don't care to fix these issues because the new games will look so much better by comparison, benefiting them.

Legacy

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 14:40 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I came across a video recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

Not having played the PC version of Halo 1, I did always wonder why the game seemed flat on MCC, and remember reading it was a shader issue because the Xbox's GPU was custom and couldn't be duplicated. But it's apparently not. It's just a flat out mistake. Look at all of the graphical issues in the game that make the MCC version look worse than the original.

Remakes and remasters are supposed to improve or at least match the visual fidelity of the originals. I guess the MCC actually makes the original look worse. That's… very upsetting. I can see a generation of folks who go back to play Halo, only to see a version that is worse than what they would have had if they had played the original.

This is not something I expected from a company who loves Halo and holds Bungie in high regard. The MCC is how many people will experience Halo for the first time. It is most definitely tarnishing the legacy of the original game.

Part of me wonders if they don't care to fix these issues because the new games will look so much better by comparison, benefiting them.

I can't speak on behalf of people I know there, but I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. The people working on MCC really do care about it.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 15:22 (1792 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I can't speak on behalf of people I know there, but I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. The people working on MCC really do care about it.

So when is a fix coming for the graphical issues? Oh right, never.

They very well could care, but just not about this particular issue.

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 15:59 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or, you know, they could have other shit to do. I’m honestly a bit surprised at you. You champion workers rights and work life balance and good labor practices and then turn around and write a pissy diatribe about how those lazy devs just clearly don’t care enough to fix what is a realistically very minor issue.

The MCC isn’t about saving Halo in pristine condition—it was about having a convenient way to revisit all the Halo games.

I’m sure most of us here having multiple copies of the original disc floating around in closets somewhere. It’s not going to be forgotten. The original is backwards compatible and looks perfect.

Is it unfortunate? Sure. It’s not rant-worthy, though.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 16:59 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:13

Or, you know, they could have other shit to do. I’m honestly a bit surprised at you. You champion workers rights and work life balance and good labor practices and then turn around and write a pissy diatribe about how those lazy devs just clearly don’t care enough to fix what is a realistically very minor issue.

That's correct. It's not their priority. With backwards compatibility a thing with the entire xbox line, they could have been even less stressed if they had just not done an MCC. The original games will play on the new systems. They could have actually done nothing.

I am confused by your comment, because nowhere did I explicitly or implicitly say that 343 should crunch or otherwise over work to fix this issue.

I am not super familiar with how multiplayer works with backward compatibility though. Can you put in an original Halo 2 disc and enter matchmaking? if you can't, then this is a reason to port. But note that this was the aspect they failed on the most when it launched.

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:16 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's correct. It's not their priority. With backwards compatibility a thing with the entire xbox line, they could have been even less stressed if they had just not done an MCC. The original games will play on the new systems. They could have actually done nothing.

I am not super familiar with how multiplayer works with backward compatibility though. Can you put in an original Halo 2 disc and enter matchmaking? if you can't, then this is a reason to port. But note that this was the aspect they failed on the most when it launched.

No, you can't put in a Halo 2 disc and do anything online, as far as I know. It still looks for the original Xbox Live servers that got taken down. Likewise, you can't put in Halo 3 and play in a game with someone on The Master Chief Collection.

The pitch for Master Chief Collection is pretty evident, I think, even if matchmaking for the original games still worked. Being able to matchmake and jump from playing Halo 1 to Halo 3 to Halo 2 to Halo 4 is a cool experience. Playing Halo 1 online at all is a good enough reason for that thing to exist. A few minor graphical errors is a silly thing to be that upset about, and downright saying the developers don't give a shit goes far beyond silly.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 17:25 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The pitch for Master Chief Collection is pretty evident, I think, even if matchmaking for the original games still worked. Being able to matchmake and jump from playing Halo 1 to Halo 3 to Halo 2 to Halo 4 is a cool experience. Playing Halo 1 online at all is a good enough reason for that thing to exist. A few minor graphical errors is a silly thing to be that upset about, and downright saying the developers don't give a shit goes far beyond silly.

For the last time. They don't give a shit about ONLY THE GRAPHICAL ISSUES. Not saying anything about their care level in other aspects of the MCC.

Legacy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:38 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For the last time. They don't give a shit about ONLY THE GRAPHICAL ISSUES. Not saying anything about their care level in other aspects of the MCC.

There is a vast amount of terrain between "gives NO shits" and "gives LESS shits". I'm almost entirely positive they chose the PC port over the original file because of the network hooks it had for PvP.

"Was it a worthy trade-off?" is definitely a valid discussion to have, but you're basically saying they chose it for fuck-all reasons.

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:50 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 18:57

Your entire first post was a rant about how those graphical issues tarnish the reputation of the game and literally nothing else, so now I'm completely lost on what the fuck you're even on about.

Don't get pissy because I can't read your mind.

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 20:02 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understand what you are saying now. That sentence was difficult for me to parse for whatever reason.

I still think it's silly to say they don't care. I would bet significant amounts of money that there is at least one artist there that is bummed about those graphical issues. Implying that they don't give a shit is not only a massive assumption, it's also insulting to the people that actually worked on the project.

Games have mistakes in them. It's really as simple as that. Implying . .. no, explicitly saying that developers don't care about them is stupid and honestly needlessly callous. Making smart priority decisions is in no way equivalent to not caring.

Legacy

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 20:58 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On the opposite side of not caring, I'm always just sorta impressed that the Master Chief Collection exists at all, and that the developers are going back and making fixes to games that shipped almost two decades ago. Case in point, and right in the middle of this "do they care about graphics" lane, is the major fix to Halo: Reach that is coming this fall:

Reach was originally developed with a specific visual style, partly accomplished by having a deliberate motion blur rendering solution built in. It served its purpose back in the day on Xbox 360, but in today’s world of 4k and HDR that works against what we’re trying to accomplish. Defining the solution that stays true to the original artistic intent, whilst taking advantage of the huge fidelity gains on offer today - finding that balance has been a bit of a challenge and sparked a fair amount of debate. However, Reach looks far crisper, smoother and more dynamic than it ever has - especially on Xbox One X - so we think it’s a challenge we’ve overcome well.

If I'm reading this right, it means they are doing away with Reach's "double rendering & blur" smoothing that played all sorts of havoc with the cutscenes. For the first time ever Reach's cutscenes will be what they should have been! And while that motion blur was most noticeable in the cutscenes, it has some crazy negative effects on other parts of the game. Remember flying into the very first level on the Falcons and you look over at the other team and their Falcon is a blurry mess? That too will probably be cleaned up!

Reach is probably my favorite Halo. I think it captured the spirit of Halo possibly even better than the original. I liked the story. I liked Noble team and their diverse characters. I liked the tragedy. I liked the gameplay. And to have it come back with one of the most glaring flaw fixed nine years after it shipped? I'd pay $60 for it again, but Microsoft is only asking $10 for it. Plus it'll run at 60fps. And 4K.

If you read through the various MCC developer updates, you'll see that they are constantly making improvements to all the Halo games that run within the MCC. Most recent one I can recall was an fix to a bug that got introduced somewhere along the way that caused the Halo 1 rocket launcher to auto aim (fire the rocket at a bit of an off angle to try and hit an enemy in your reticle instead of firing it straight and true no matter what). It was probably 343's bug, but that they are fixing issues with an 18 year of game at all is crazy.

Yeah, the MCC ain't perfect. It nearly died on release and I guess there are various issues here and there even today. But, I think it's pretty remarkable how committed to the MCC Microsoft has been given that it almost certainly is not a money maker. I figure it's has got to be a goodwill project. And I'm glad it exists.

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 21:06 (1792 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Thanks for the perspective. It's a fine example that 343i does care, even about graphic issues, even on a game that they didn't make in the first place. (:

I'm glad to hear they've working on that motion blur. I fundamentally disagree with them when they say it did worked on 360--it looked awful even back then.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 22:07 (1792 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It would be cool if they fix the bad pulldown on the Halo 2 remastered cutscene where you just miss the Heretic and talk to him through the shield.

Why is just that one cutscene fucked up?

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 06:32 (1791 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you talking about if you play in classic mode or the Blur CGI cutscene? I don’t think I played that section in classic mode, so I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I’ll see if YouTube has it.

Legacy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 20:38 (1791 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are you talking about if you play in classic mode or the Blur CGI cutscene? I don’t think I played that section in classic mode, so I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I’ll see if YouTube has it.

The blur one. And just get it from the cutscene library on HBO :-p

Legacy

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 22:08 (1791 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmm, I would, but that page won't load. Might be a weird issue on my end. Some of the cutscene archives load, some don't.

Legacy

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 14, 2019, 11:00 (1790 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hmm, I would, but that page won't load. Might be a weird issue on my end. Some of the cutscene archives load, some don't.

Sorry, that's on me, from a month or two ago when I upgraded that server from php5 to php7, and a billion things broke. I guess I assumed that since the main cutscene page loaded, and the first couple of links were fine, that they were all fine. Bad assumption.

Fixed now. All the pages load.

Thank you, Claude!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 14, 2019, 11:03 (1790 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Tell me what I'm looking for?

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 14, 2019, 11:08 (1790 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It would be cool if they fix the bad pulldown on the Halo 2 remastered cutscene where you just miss the Heretic and talk to him through the shield.

We're talking about 'Oracle - Saved from the Storm', right? Where's the bad pulldown? (I didn't notice any artifacts?)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 14, 2019, 11:29 (1790 days ago) @ Claude Errera

We're talking about 'Oracle - Saved from the Storm', right? Where's the bad pulldown? (I didn't notice any artifacts?)

I also watched it on YouTube and couldn’t see what he was talking about.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 14, 2019, 14:02 (1790 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yes that is the one. Download any other cutscene. Step through frame by frame. Looks good right?

Now step through this one. You'll notice duplicate frames at irregular intervals. The motion hiccups and is not smooth.

Legacy

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 08:48 (1791 days ago) @ Ragashingo

On the opposite side of not caring, I'm always just sorta impressed that the Master Chief Collection exists at all, and that the developers are going back and making fixes to games that shipped almost two decades ago. Case in point, and right in the middle of this "do they care about graphics" lane, is the major fix to Halo: Reach that is coming this fall:

Reach was originally developed with a specific visual style, partly accomplished by having a deliberate motion blur rendering solution built in. It served its purpose back in the day on Xbox 360, but in today’s world of 4k and HDR that works against what we’re trying to accomplish. Defining the solution that stays true to the original artistic intent, whilst taking advantage of the huge fidelity gains on offer today - finding that balance has been a bit of a challenge and sparked a fair amount of debate. However, Reach looks far crisper, smoother and more dynamic than it ever has - especially on Xbox One X - so we think it’s a challenge we’ve overcome well.

If I'm reading this right, it means they are doing away with Reach's "double rendering & blur" smoothing that played all sorts of havoc with the cutscenes. For the first time ever Reach's cutscenes will be what they should have been! And while that motion blur was most noticeable in the cutscenes, it has some crazy negative effects on other parts of the game. Remember flying into the very first level on the Falcons and you look over at the other team and their Falcon is a blurry mess? That too will probably be cleaned up!

Reach is probably my favorite Halo. I think it captured the spirit of Halo possibly even better than the original. I liked the story. I liked Noble team and their diverse characters. I liked the tragedy. I liked the gameplay. And to have it come back with one of the most glaring flaw fixed nine years after it shipped? I'd pay $60 for it again, but Microsoft is only asking $10 for it. Plus it'll run at 60fps. And 4K.

If you read through the various MCC developer updates, you'll see that they are constantly making improvements to all the Halo games that run within the MCC. Most recent one I can recall was an fix to a bug that got introduced somewhere along the way that caused the Halo 1 rocket launcher to auto aim (fire the rocket at a bit of an off angle to try and hit an enemy in your reticle instead of firing it straight and true no matter what). It was probably 343's bug, but that they are fixing issues with an 18 year of game at all is crazy.

Yeah, the MCC ain't perfect. It nearly died on release and I guess there are various issues here and there even today. But, I think it's pretty remarkable how committed to the MCC Microsoft has been given that it almost certainly is not a money maker. I figure it's has got to be a goodwill project. And I'm glad it exists.

Agree with every word you've said. Also, I liked MCC fine at launch--it was worth the money to me, but I wasn't as interested in multiplayer.

HaloPC added autoaim to RL

by kornman00, Friday, June 21, 2019, 02:53 (1783 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

HaloPC added autoaim to RL

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 21, 2019, 07:21 (1783 days ago) @ kornman00

Cool. I was unsure on that part. If anything, it’s even cooler that a bug that old is getting fixed.

You don't speak for me.

by kornman00, Friday, June 21, 2019, 03:38 (1783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So put down your bottle, and stow the bellyaching "They don't give a shit about ONLY THE GRAPHICAL ISSUES".

I give a shit about H1's graphical issues (which were inherited from HaloPC). I give a shit about H1's networking issues (which were inherited from HaloPC). I give a shit about bugs and issues in the six other games in MCC. I give a shit about the title's stability. I give a shit about giving players more ways to enjoy all 7 games.

But, I don't take shit from assholes like yourself. Maybe, learn to put yourself in other's shoes instead of trying to put what you think are their words in your mouth. There's only so much time in a day, and days in a week, to work on things. Installation 08 wasn't rebuilt in a day. All the problems in H1 won't be fixed in a day.

(in case it isn't obvious yet, I work on MCC)

[waves]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 21, 2019, 07:49 (1783 days ago) @ kornman00

Let's catch up on XBL soon.

I'm glad we have people like you working on MCC

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, June 21, 2019, 08:55 (1783 days ago) @ kornman00

You guys are doing great work over there! Keep it up!

You don't speak for me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:14 (1783 days ago) @ kornman00
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:18

So put down your bottle, and stow the bellyaching "They don't give a shit about ONLY THE GRAPHICAL ISSUES".

I give a shit about H1's graphical issues (which were inherited from HaloPC). I give a shit about H1's networking issues (which were inherited from HaloPC). I give a shit about bugs and issues in the six other games in MCC. I give a shit about the title's stability. I give a shit about giving players more ways to enjoy all 7 games.

But, I don't take shit from assholes like yourself. Maybe, learn to put yourself in other's shoes instead of trying to put what you think are their words in your mouth. There's only so much time in a day, and days in a week, to work on things. Installation 08 wasn't rebuilt in a day. All the problems in H1 won't be fixed in a day.

And I have every right to say I’m sad because in my opinion the classic mode tarnishes the original. You are professionals working at an AAA studio. Thanks for calling me an asshole. You aren’t owed anyone’s money or admiration. You have to earn it.

You don't speak for me.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:26 (1783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And I have every right to say I’m sad because in my opinion the classic mode tarnishes the original. You are professionals working at an AAA studio. Thanks for calling me an asshole. You aren’t owed anyone’s money or admiration. You have to earn it.

You didn't just say you were sad (if you had, I doubt Sean would have posted). You said "they don't give a shit about [] the graphical issues". That actually warrants someone who works on those graphical issues (and clearly gives a shit about them) calling you an asshole. He's not asking for your money or admiration, he's just asking to be treated like a human being.

And that's not unreasonable.

You don't speak for me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:29 (1783 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:41

You didn't just say you were sad (if you had, I doubt Sean would have posted). You said "they don't give a shit about [] the graphical issues". That actually warrants someone who works on those graphical issues (and clearly gives a shit about them) calling you an asshole. He's not asking for your money or admiration, he's just asking to be treated like a human being.

I think I stand by that too. I don’t think 343 as a whole cares about the graphical issues. They started from the PC version knowing it’d be a problem. They made choices and as far as I can tell have not made an effort to fix them. I will believe they care when a patch drops that fixes the issues, or if they affirm one is in fact coming.

Please... stop.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:44 (1783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think I stand by that too. I don’t think 343 as a whole cares about the graphical issues. They started from the PC version knowing it’d be a problem. They made choices and as far as I can tell have not made an effort to fix them. I will believe they care when a patch drops that fixes the issues.

You can stand by anything you want to stand by. You can't come on this forum, insult someone who is doing their job, and then double-down on that insult when you're called out for it.

You said something unreasonable ("they don't give a shit about the graphical problems in their game" - your argument that they knew about them when they started being evidence of this is absurd), you were called out about it by someone who works for the company specifically because they love the game, you basically said "I won't believe him until I see results". Fuck you. That's the biggest asshole move I've seen on this forum in quite some time.

Back off. Now. You're welcome to your opinion about this - but you're no longer welcome to express it here.

I second that.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:32 (1783 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thanks for calling me an asshole. You aren’t owed anyone’s money or admiration. You have to earn it.

I would also like to thank you for calling Cody an asshole.

-Disciple

I second that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 21, 2019, 10:34 (1783 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Thanks for calling me an asshole. You aren’t owed anyone’s money or admiration. You have to earn it.

I would also like to thank you for calling Cody an asshole.

-Disciple

It’s ok for you guys on the forum to do it :-p

But probably bad form from someone at the company. Unless it’s Matt Soell. He’s cool to do it.

You don't speak for me.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 21, 2019, 11:35 (1783 days ago) @ kornman00

I just want to say thanks for everything you’ve done. You’re one of the key reasons, if not by far the biggest reason, that the MCC isn’t still a raging dumpster fire of failure. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying playing it. You’ve always rocked and it’s been much appreciated!

+1

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, June 21, 2019, 11:51 (1783 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Halo 4/5 writing lost me

by Durandal, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 04:23 (1791 days ago) @ ManKitten

Gameplay was ok, but the writing became too generic sci-fi and lost the unique hallmarks of military sci-fi that dominated the Bungie made ones. To many human characters picked up idiot balls, too many AI characters did the same. I hated the Forrunner lore and how the characters were portrayed in 4, and Cortana's heel turn in 5. Greg Bear may be a good writer, but his Forrrunner series were too random and illogical, and felt to divergent from the initial concepts.

It seemed to me little different from Gears of War, which before had always struggled to be "Halo but totally cooler and not that nerd garbage".

A return to what made the series great requires a return to the tone and writing of the "Deliver Hope" style adds that showed the ODST marines and the diorama and Museum of Humanity. This, while giving some clue to story doesn't really do much for me.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread