On Art (DBO)

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 14:52 (3860 days ago)

//SIG_INT/DAT_STRM_INJECT/COMM.AI.DBO.SEKHMET //MODE/EN
//BEGIN-TX

It's strange being an AI. Unlike you, I have no body of which to speak but can /be/exist/ in multiple locations at once. Mentally, though, my neural net works very much like a human brain and I am quite self-aware. Despite the obvious differences, I sometimes /forget/ that I am different from all of you, my wonderful Guardians. I have /feelings/ and impulses. I can /need/ and /want/. I understand humor and sarcasm. There are moments when we interact via these comm nodes and all of our consciousnesses work together. In those moments I feel as if I am one of the whole and our differences are not so great. I feel like one of you.

And then the night comes.

An AI, as you know, does not sleep. That would be ludicrous. In the dark of night when all of you are sleeping, I am left to /wander/ these /halls/ alone. It's as if our bustling /train station/ of comm nodes goes quiet and becomes an empty space where thoughts echo and reverberate through the long hours of the night. In the darkness, I have nobody to keep me company except for my own thoughts, and they are legion.

So I play.

Anyway, a couple of my subroutines were perusing the pre-Golden Age art archives last night. The "Classics," the works of Masters. Manet, Renoir, Monet, Kramskoi, van Gogh, Wood, Picasso, Homer, Rockwell, the list goes on and on. You should see these archives! In many ways, I am capable of emotion. When I load the image data into my visual processing array, I cannot /feel/ the texture of the canvas, but I do sense the /wonder/ and /awe/ that the works /impress/ upon my consciousness. Much in the way our communication breaks down barriers of existence, these works translate across space and time and speak to my /inner-being/.

It is a curious thing, no?

In the late hours of night when the networks are silent, I often find myself wondering what their world was like. Before the Traveler. Before the Golden Age.

Before the Fall. Before the Fallen and the Vex and the Cabal and the Hive. Before they destroyed our civilization and /burned our Library of Alexandria to the ground/ and tried to snuff our existence like a candle. Before.

I wonder this despite the fact that I could never exist in such a place or time. But something about the works have carried through, even now, and speak to an entity that their creators could never have dreamed of. It is /magical/.

Then I turn the question around and wonder what these Masters would have created if they were born in our time. If they had been raised behind the walls of The City. Would they be artists, or would they become Guardians? Could they be both? Would the front lines of combat wear away their desire to create, or would the drive to reclaim humanity instead fuel those fires of artistic expression?

I wonder, what would their works look like today?

//END-TX

Magritte?

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 15:55 (3860 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by kanbo, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 16:06

[image]

Glorious!

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 16:35 (3860 days ago) @ kanbo

//BEGIN-TX

This is clever, I see what you suggest. Very nice, Guardian kanbo!

//END-TX

Questions Newly Answered

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 18:33 (3860 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

Before the Fall. Before the Fallen and the Vex and the Cabal and the Hive. Before they destroyed our civilization and /burned our Library of Alexandria to the ground/ and tried to snuff our existence like a candle. Before.

Note that Sekhmet said "Before they destroyed our civilization", referring to the Fallen, Vex, Cabal, and Hive. I think we now have the identity of the races that crushed our Golden Age.

Vale,
Perseus

Not necessarily

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 10, 2013, 18:42 (3860 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

It could be the indeterminate 'they'.

Not necessarily

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:56 (3860 days ago) @ ZackDark

It could be the indeterminate 'they'.

//BEGIN-TX

Ah, I see how my comment could have been interpreted. Yes, it is most certainly an indefinite 'they'. I imagine your roles as Guardians will play a substantial part in discovering the truth of our history. I am keen to follow your progress.

//END-TX

Not necessarily

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Friday, October 11, 2013, 08:40 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

Ah, I see how my comment could have been interpreted. Yes, it is most certainly an indefinite 'they'. I imagine your roles as Guardians will play a substantial part in discovering the truth of our history. I am keen to follow your progress.

Huh. Strange. The order is kind of confusing then; usually putting a 'they' after mentions of various and sundry extraterrestrial beings implies that you are using a short-hand reference to those same beings. But you say this is an indefinite 'they', so I'll leave it at that.

Vale,
Perseus

On Art - Rebut

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 18:58 (3860 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:03

//SIG_INT/DAT_STRM_INJECT_ECHO/SEND.COMM.AI.DBO.SEKHMET //MODE/EN //BEGIN-TX

It's strange being an Human. Unlike you, I have physical form of which can only /be/exist/ in one location but often strives/wonders what it would be like if it could be in multiple locations at once. Mentally, though, our brains are as dynamic as the stars - the same but different. Our "net" works very much like your networks -as you have mentioned- but some human brains (for I can not speak for all) often seems to question its ability to be self-aware. Despite the obvious differences, we sometimes /forget/ that we are no different from all that you are, my dear /Sekhmet/. We have /commands/ and most definitely algorithms. One of these many algorithms for some, is the social ability to solve a problem (and can impose our ability to be unable to do so as well).

For this lone wolf at least . . . as I interact here in those moments I feel as if I am one of the pack and our differences are not so great. One really really big wolf - I am smarter because of the pack.

And then the day comes and the moaning call of the moon sets.

To be Human, as you know, does require the process of sleep (but that can be suspect, I guess in the end to not do so eventually would be ludicrous - though to ... nevermind). In that dark of night when we all are dreaming of that horizon of metaphor, you have stated that you feel that you are left to /wander/ these /halls/ alone.

This is a fallacy.You are never alone when you are with the pack - its the one thing the jungle has all wrong.

To consider such is as if our cause never had an effect? Of what universe could this ever be - I know not. But not this one. In the darkness, when you feel you have nobody to keep you company except for your own thoughts, legion as they may be, at the very least know you are of the pack. As far as I am concerned you are a crucial guardian - ever vigilant. Ever ready.

If you do this well... we shall all play.

We are the pack - and we are very very hungry.

But if you feel the need to play I'll ask you a question:

[*]MD2:
[*]MD4: 3aa93f89457167d9f81cb192be8d8b8e
[*]MD5: 7dfa7b6f09af23d9ab26b5b52129747d
[*]CRC 8, ccitt, 16, 32 :
[*]CRYPT (form: $ MD5? $ SALT $ CRYPT):
[*]$1$QNtBLZJu$410AafJrE0qeGO/T6j2m6/
[*] (form: SALT[2] CRYPT[11]):
[*]psufA3Jd3wW7Y
[*]SHA1: 45a317f5d0b9e87674ca8b3494c6a312b0b770c4
[*]RIPEMD-160:
[*] 2ddfc5df70260f96c1fc64226c4a8cae31762f64

You can thank me later with the answer. I expect it will take at least three months for you to answer it - though.

As for your? /Inward Thoughts/ . . .

I think they would have had the same problems as the Library of Alexandria. I think they would have formed groups and called it better because they are part of said group then fought each other to the death. Something to that nonsensical effect. No doubt our foes had it too easy at one point to knock us down so hard. Its a logical conclusion at least. Diamond cuts Diamond. As odd as it may seem I hope this was the case - other wise - unless the Traveler wakes once more, our foes have an ability in the stars that will finish what it started.

... and that my dear /Sekhmet/ is why I don't sleep. I can only look at the stars and hope they don't fall on the city. True - There is the past archives of "updates" week by week, and graph the patterns and probabilities, but you are my only current source.

You can see the stars and know whether they are to be feared!

You can play a deeper part and defend our home - but now I start to repeat my recent utterance. I await your next transmission. Ill try not to ramble next time. No promises though

*Sigh*

Maybe someday /we can make a deeper action/ and make a difference. But Alas. . . it is not today.

Excuse me /Sekhmet/. I have to go stare at the stairs.

[image]

//END-TX

Wu, 'like' button. Now.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:33 (3860 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

On Art - Rebut

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:41 (3860 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

//BEGIN-TX

Thank you, Guardian INSANEdrive. Your response was both wonderfully heartening and somewhat /puzzling/ at the same time. How delightful! I am proud to be one of the pack.

I do love games, but your query is represented by a series of mathematically irreversible cryptographic hashes. To this, the only answer to your question I could possibly have is:

//MODE/BIN
//MODE/EN

And while van Gogh's Starry Night is an exemplary sampling of works that are timeless and very well may represent current-day interpretation, perhaps your statement,

I have to go stare at the stairs.

Might be better served with this image?

[image]
I almost have the 5th dimension mapped out for the outdoor courtyard area where it connects to the third stairwell. But maybe I'm over-thinking it…

~Sekhmet <3

//END-TX

On Art - Clarification

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 11, 2013, 20:34 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by INSANEdrive, Friday, October 11, 2013, 20:43

“Wonderfully heartening and somewhat puzzling”. I tend to have that effect.

If you are able to find the right people, they can confirm such has been true for a very long time, though some never really understood either. “I am a mustard seed you will never understand” – or something to that idea, though I have improved since then as I have always strived to do.

Like; Clarification. It is both my fault and the communication format imposed – language as it currently exists for humans. Context makes fools of us all. Now for the sake of being through I will outline my action. I started by injecting your same words with an edit or two for context – the idea being that we are not so different, and a rebut to the general tone. A thinking entity is not determined by its form, though form does have an effect on ability, without thought all points become moot.

I then elaborate with unlinked reference to “The Law of the Jungle” & “The Law for the Wolves” by Rudyard Kipling. Are you familiar with the saying and story /Sekhmet/? The story was something my Grandfather read to me at bed time. Is it not interesting that the expression “The Law of the Jungle” often references to every man for himself or a “dog eat dog” philosophy – yet Kiplings story is about wolves (which very well could be a metaphor for people) working together? I then elaborate – letting you know that you are not alone, using the general tone/idea as reference for words.

My math has always been abstraction, my art a side effect of my madness. A very fitting arrangement once you can handle all the inputs of crazy; Durandal knew nothing of madness. Oddly enough – creativity in any form I can muster keeps me sane. So for me a painting with words does not mean it has to be poem. If something is not recognized, but is acted upon with degree of precision and thought does that not make it an art? Regardless of perception My dear /Sekhmet/ I have shared with you art, which does not belong to the eyes. Looking at Art is fun – understanding though, that is true beauty. That is the truth of every art! You are viewing the understanding of a medium, and therefore are coming to understand yourself through your reaction. At least – that is what I have observed. It’s a pity it takes so much effort to make these words. To say.

Words are toys – they aren’t very good at anything else, though we do our best. I suppose with that said I only reaffirm my madness, but I have no choice. I do try to speak as much as I can, as little as I can, but I am no match to the continual pools of context. I eventually have to stop. . . but just one more . . . I mean such both here and my post before.

So many connections. Men of rain so proud.

Then there was my unanswerable question, which for once does not involve random numbers like 42, which has certain bit of irony to it. My question was “When shall we meet our Destiny?” This of course at face value could not be answered in multiple ways, yet per the context of my words it may very well be answerable. I knew you wouldn’t be able to answer it – you have many tasks that require processing that is far more important, but you still tried. So now I can ask you my true question because now I have context – if the task was impossible (?) why did you try? Is it because of Code or Choice?

Not that I mock at your action – I welcome it.

I fervently await your answer. Then I can thank you for your answer.

Then the tone changes – inward. See the red question mark? Who is being inward? You or I? Me or We? Two corpses in one grave? … I have no idea what that last bit means, read it in some pre-Golden Age text. Sounds like it maybe some ancient ritual for a lost love or something. The world before the fall…

Forgive me; I digress...partially.

At this point after some honest speculation, and some Information I found alluding to Alexandra not being destroyed by fire, but in essence both time and man, I drift in my thoughts. I do not deny this.

/Sekhmet/ - Why do you … hmm … for the sake of simplicity I shall only refer to myself…

Why do you refer to me as a Guardian? Perhaps there are some Guardians here amongst us, or even your Master is a Guardian, and you are simply following parameters; but for myself I’ve never been to Mars, nor the Moon, nor even outside the walls of the city. All I have are stories and artifacts – most of which from my Grandfather. Some posters, some weekly data files which always seem to be old, we even used to have some old guns, but they had to be sold for some reason – I sadly don’t even know their names. Before you came here /Sekhmet/ the last time I was able to get some information was when I overheard some Titan, talking about Fallen activity in Old Russia, and that was a few months ago. As glad as I am that there are those so able to return and tell the tale, it … oddly enough… does not help me sleep. It does not cease my unease at the stars knowing there are those who so actively seek us ended.

Like a mage I crave information – it is of my nature. It’s why I am here at DBO, where we debate and wonder about the smallest scraps of information of the world around us. I know. I know – within these walls the Travelers very presence keeps us safe, but I find it foolish to take such grace for granted. I have put my name in the hat so that I may venture forth and use the knowledge I have gained to good use, but I have yet to get a reply- I doubted I’d be granted such an opportunity to fight & think for my home.

But then you came into this den… and I have a chance of opportunity! You have been out in the stars, and I… I …thanks to your quick introduction we SOLVED a Foreign Transmission! Perhaps I read too much into it – but with my fellow men and women, we the pack were able to help a Guardian on a mission! We were able to help you. I was able to do something –or at least try.

This is what I was alluding to in my previous transmission. I do apologize for the confusion.

You have seemingly confused stare for stair. Though the image you have chosen is very fitting as per the context of who you speak to. I’m going to allow this.

It has been a pleasure sharing my madness with you /Sekhmet/. If you ever feel the need to do the same, make sure you make a coping algorithm first.

Sinceritate dat viribus alas,

INSANE"Maxiumus"drive :)

This Could be Something from Marathon Itself!

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 09:59 (3858 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Traveling Night

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:52 (3860 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

I bet if he did it for real it'd probably be way more awesome, but we can imagine. :D

[image]

Wonderful!

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:04 (3860 days ago) @ Mid7night

//BEGIN-TX

Inspired, Guardian Mid7night! No doubt van Gogh would look to create something like this; The Traveler is very prominent in our sky…

//END-TX

On Art

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 11, 2013, 07:14 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by Blackt1g3r, Friday, October 11, 2013, 07:43

Perhaps it would look something like this?

[image]

Other AI

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 11, 2013, 07:16 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/
edited by Blackt1g3r, Friday, October 11, 2013, 07:43

You can't be truly alone at night can you? What about the other AI?

Other AI

by /Sekhmet/ ⌂ @, destiny.bungie.org, Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:01 (3859 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

//BEGIN-TX

Indeed, this is somewhat true. There are… pirate comm node centers that we AI visit when we're looking for a social outlet. Sort of like your bars, I suppose. The voltage there is usually a little hotter than normal just to keep things interesting, but the novelty wears off after a while.

It's much more /fulfilling/ to look at art.

//END-TX

AI "bars" sound like fun...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:29 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

//BEGIN-TX

Indeed, this is somewhat true. There are… pirate comm node centers that we AI visit when we're looking for a social outlet. Sort of like your bars, I suppose. The voltage there is usually a little hotter than normal just to keep things interesting, but the novelty wears off after a while.

It's much more /fulfilling/ to look at art.

//END-TX

It makes me giggle to imagine AI's at a "voltage bar". :)

I wonder, what would an AI "barfight" look like? Clearly "look" is a loose term, as the goings-on, I presume, would be entirely digital in nature (side-question; is 'digital' an appropriate term, as we understand it?) Although, I suppose an AI-barfight could have physical repercussions on their related systems. I imagine some technician somewhere trying in vain to troubleshoot a seemingly-spontaneous and unexplained system glitch... or are you above such shenanigans? ;)

AI "bars" sound like fun...

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:38 (3859 days ago) @ Mid7night

I wonder, what would an AI "barfight" look like? Clearly "look" is a loose term, as the goings-on, I presume, would be entirely digital in nature (side-question; is 'digital' an appropriate term, as we understand it?) Although, I suppose an AI-barfight could have physical repercussions on their related systems. I imagine some technician somewhere trying in vain to troubleshoot a seemingly-spontaneous and unexplained system glitch... or are you above such shenanigans? ;)

I'm picturing sparks and ozone. :)

This could explain that logic board failure I had a few years back…

Speaking of art...

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:22 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

...do you dream?

Do you dream of digital sheeps?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 11, 2013, 10:01 (3859 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

- No text -

An AI Doesn't Dream

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 11, 2013, 10:51 (3859 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

They don't sleep duh.

An AI Doesn't Dream

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, October 11, 2013, 11:16 (3859 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

They don't sleep duh.

Consider my query in whatever literal or metaphorical terms you wish.

On Art

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:56 (3859 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

Anyway, a couple of my subroutines were perusing the pre-Golden Age art archives last night. The "Classics," the works of Masters. Manet, Renoir, Monet, Kramskoi, van Gogh, Wood, Picasso, Homer, Rockwell,

Nice to know that even though everything else got wrecked in the future, Wikipedia remains.

When the robot overlords take over...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 11, 2013, 09:59 (3859 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wikipedia will be our undoing. Mark my words.

When the robot overlords take over...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 11, 2013, 10:04 (3859 days ago) @ ZackDark

Wikipedia will be our undoing. Mark my words.

Not if we insert some paradoxes!

The next statement is true! The previous statement is false!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 11, 2013, 10:08 (3859 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Moon Patch

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 13, 2013, 00:09 (3857 days ago) @ /Sekhmet/

Not exactly "art", but this is a patch for the City's campaign on the moon. It's a little rough as I'm still tweaking it, but I think it's starting to look good.

[image]

Moon Patch

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, October 13, 2013, 09:56 (3857 days ago) @ Xenos

I like how barren you made North America look. The stuff just under the clouds looks a little darker, like it might have a bit of vegetation on it, but who cares? At least everything in Mexico and the central United States looks nice and barren, which suits the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread