Beware the Tether (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 09:35 (1741 days ago)

Once again, I had a bunch of fun playing Competitive last night. Managed to even make a few good plays with my tether, which doesn't happen often. It usually ends up stuck on a ceiling or wall. (:

Squid called the second one "threading the needle." You can see how close I came to screwing it up.

Sorry I missed it!

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 10:30 (1741 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I signed in later, and everyone was gone. :(

That second one was pretty amazing! Not only did you do a spectacular job missing both the crate and the wall getting the tether planted, but you managed to survive the guy in the corner (that you had your back to when you came in the room). Two thumbs up!

Sorry I missed it!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 11:07 (1741 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That may not have been the smartest play, but it was intentional. I saw that he was shooting at the tether, and I counted on being able to kill his friend before he turned his attention to me. And I also knew squid was right behind me. (:

Sorry we missed you! I'll be around later tonight if you're still working through Comp stuff and want someone to play with.

That second shot was amazing!

by Oholiab @, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:02 (1741 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Beware the Tether

by squidnh3, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 09:00 (1739 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Squid called the second one "threading the needle." You can see how close I came to screwing it up.

Really an amazing shot. Even in real-time I was shocked.

Is there something weird about depth perception of the tether "markers"? Watching the video again I had the same experience as I had in-game, where I was sure the guy who was actually nearest the door was in the back hallway. That's why I went around to the left doorway. I don't think the markers vary in size depending on how far away the target is, so maybe the near guy was on top of something and it made him look further away?

Beware the Tether

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 09:32 (1739 days ago) @ squidnh3

Really an amazing shot. Even in real-time I was shocked.

Is there something weird about depth perception of the tether "markers"? Watching the video again I had the same experience as I had in-game, where I was sure the guy who was actually nearest the door was in the back hallway. That's why I went around to the left doorway. I don't think the markers vary in size depending on how far away the target is, so maybe the near guy was on top of something and it made him look further away?

This is super-weird; I just watched the video a few times to see if I could understand what you are seeing.

The close guy looks close to me before Cheapley gets near the room; it's hard to find a screenshot that explains what I'm seeing, but maybe this?

[image]

You can see the tether lines for the two captured players; one clearly goes back, towards the hallway, the other one is nearly perpendicular to the original shot. It's clear (in my mind, at least) that the dude is right inside the door. I'm having trouble seeing what you're seeing.

Beware the Tether

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 10:28 (1739 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think he’s just talking about the markers. If they were both behind the wall, with no way to see the actual tether, the markers are still the same size and wouldn’t actually give you any information about distance.

I guess that’s sort of a niche case—typically there is probably enough movement (both by you and the marked enemy) that you can infer distance pretty well based on the path they’re taking.

You’re screenshot actually does make me see what squid is saying. I would expect a player to head for the hallway rather than to just back into that corner, and the marker doesn’t give you any information on its own to really make that judgement.

Beware the Tether

by squidnh3, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 12:22 (1738 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You’re screenshot actually does make me see what squid is saying. I would expect a player to head for the hallway rather than to just back into that corner, and the marker doesn’t give you any information on its own to really make that judgement.

Basically yeah. I could draw a diagram to explain this, but then I'd have to find somewhere to put it.

Anyway, what I found interesting was how this explains my mental approach to Crucible. I got a quick burst of information (2 markers), and immediately decided to run to the leftmost door to get a better angle, keeping what I thought were the positions of the enemies and what they might be doing in my head. When I entered the room from that side, Cheapley had already killed both of them, which confused me because my mental picture had positioned one of them in the back hallway, probably trying to escape out of the room. Once I verified all of the enemy team was down, I ran back through what had happened in my head to see if I could figure out where my miscalculation was. In doing that, I realized what a tight window that tether must have been shot through, and let Cheapley know it was a damn good shot, forgetting about my confusion until I saw this video. At the end when Cheapley turns around and kills the second guy, I was like, "Oooohhh."

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread