Ars on Cross-Platform Multiplayer (Gaming)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 15:43 (3854 days ago)

Interesting blurb on Ars Technica today about the potential rise in cross-platform multiplayer: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/console-makers-making-noises-about-relaxing-multiplayer-exclusivity/

Destiny isn't mentioned, but the implications of this article could be powerful for the Destiny population if cross-platform play becomes "a thing". Fingers crossed!

(Edited the title because the phone keyboard sucks)

Ars on Cross-Platform Multiplayef

by Decom @, Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 18:28 (3854 days ago) @ Beorn

Wasn't it already confirmed that Destiny will be cross-platform within brand (Xbox 360 <-> Xbox One // PS3 <-> PS4) but not cross-brand? I don't have a link to a source, so I could easily be wrong.

Ars on Cross-Platform Multiplayef

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 18:57 (3854 days ago) @ Decom

Wasn't it already confirmed that Destiny will be cross-platform within brand (Xbox 360 <-> Xbox One // PS3 <-> PS4) but not cross-brand? I don't have a link to a source, so I could easily be wrong.

Nope, no such statement. They've been absolutely quiet about any sort of cross-platform play, even in-brand.

Ars on Cross-Platform Multiplayer

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 18:49 (3854 days ago) @ Beorn

I'd given up banging the drum of cross-brand multiplayer in public; but I really think that's one of the big things that can be achieved here. Bungie, in my mind, is uniquely situated to accomplish it. The time is right, Activision has the deep pockets.

What else does 'shared world' mean, then?

(I mean, no pressure or anything. ;] )

~m

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 05:58 (3854 days ago) @ Beorn

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this comment that is the "Editor's Pick":
Not gonna happen. Or rather, I don't want it to happen.

There are two possible outcomes. They link PC and Console as is today. If this happens, PC will trounce Console in shooters. This will generate a lot of complaints from the Console side. Understandably so. Its like letting Professional Sports players go against College level. Its not going to be pretty.

So the other possibility. They deliberately nerf the PC side or deliberately enhance the Console side (auto aim, restricted mouse movement, increased cone fire, increased recoil. And I utterly detest this. I am a PC player and I do not want to be treated like a second class citizen. I want full control over my game, not being deliberately nerfed so the Console players don't get too angry.

Now PS to X-Box. I can totally see that happening. And that is a good idea.

The future of gaming would be very disappointing if everything boiled down to "would this be good for deathmatches". The tone also reeks of PC gaming superiority. One would think the best game in the world would involve nothing more than quickly putting your cursor on a 2 pixel by 2 pixel square and clicking with that line of thought.

This comment is a reoccurring fossil

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 07:46 (3854 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've seen this type of comment, time and time again. I think there is a much bigger issue than interface balancing. If PC and Consoles become tethered, the world will never be the same. It will be cool and uncool. The problem with PC games is that they are inherently second nature to the PC. A console can only do so many things, playing games is one of them. You (for the most part) cannot play games while browsing the web in the background, you cannot be tweaking game files and folders while playing the game, it limits you to the game instance. In this same way, the PC doesn't care that you're playing a game, you can do whatever during said game and if you're smart enough, you can augment your instance with mods, hacks, etc. This would make playing against PC players while on console potentially unplayable. They have unlimited power , and the console can't compete with that.

The only way to restrict instance control on PC seems to be somekind of DRM... and we can see how well that all went.

P.S. I know there are exceptions to the rule and modding can create fun and new avenues of gameplay for once tapped games, nonetheless, if you're trying to establish a legitimacy and streamlined standard of gameplay, instance control is everything.

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 09:47 (3854 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

In this same way, the PC doesn't care that you're playing a game, you can do whatever during said game and if you're smart enough, you can augment your instance with mods, hacks, etc. This would make playing against PC players while on console potentially unplayable. They have unlimited power , and the console can't compete with that.

You've never heard of cheat detection?

Modding on consoles already exists even with it being as locked down as it is.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 10:52 (3854 days ago) @ RC

I understand, but isn't nearly as prevalent or accessible as it is on PC. And PC's can have wildly different environments and culture than consoles, not all choices would make sense on one or the other.

Mildly encouraging

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 05:59 (3854 days ago) @ Beorn

Lack of cross-platform play is one of the major things holding the game industry back. It's pure protectionism bullshit by the platform holders and hurts both players and developers.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 08:19 (3854 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't dare hope for it, but if it were to happen for a greatly anticipated AAA game like Destiny (i.e., system seller), I'd be shocked and delighted!

I am still allowing myself to hope for cross-platform saves.

I just dared to dream...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 11:02 (3854 days ago) @ Kermit

How would you handle a friends list cross platform? Would each game social site have it's own friend's list? Rockstar does this now with friends and crews on social club. I don't know if anyone playing on a ps3 is in the HaloBungieOrg crew, but it should still annoy me that they bested my previous score.

I just dared to dream...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 11:24 (3854 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Like this:
[image]

Bungie.net though annoying, since I have to relogin every time, is already keeping track of all friends lists.

I just dared to dream...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 12:22 (3854 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Right, but how would you invite someone to game from your xboxOne if they're on Ps4? Open up the B.net friends list in Destiny that runs parallel to your xbl friends list?

I just dared to dream...

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 15:34 (3853 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Right, but how would you invite someone to game from your xboxOne if they're on Ps4? Open up the B.net friends list in Destiny that runs parallel to your xbl friends list?

Sounds logical to me.

You might even be able to invite them from the app running on your phone/tablet.

I just dared to dream...

by GrimBrother IV, Sunday, October 20, 2013, 07:53 (3850 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I would assume you would be able to pull up a list in-game, just like in Reach or H4 that could be divided up into platforms (or not) which would not only make it possible to access alternate platform friends but make all friends easier to invite.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread