The Outer Worlds (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 26, 2019, 16:09 (1644 days ago)

I’ve seen some of you playing this. How’s everyone like it so far?

I’m about ten hours in or so (currently exploring Roseway). I’m really enjoying it. It’s exactly what I’ve been itching for after the disappointment of Fallout 4.

The writing is kind of cheesy, but it’s charming and mostly works for me. The gameplay is pretty standard for the formula they’re using, but it feels good. I’m on normal right now, but I’m looking forward to maybe doing a run on a harder difficulty.

I really like the art direction. I thought I would miss having one massive open world, but having a bunch of smaller spaces (that often still feel pretty large) is actually a good choice, I think. It allows for some good exploration while still having a more directed experience.

I’m pretty impressed with the game overall so far. I hear it’s about 30 hours or so, so I might finish it up over the next few days.

The Outer Worlds

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2019, 18:52 (1644 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, October 26, 2019, 19:46

I find it interesting and frustrating in equal measure.

The writing is fun.
The ally powers are fun.
Traveling between worlds is fun.
And it mostly feels like Fallout 3/4 in a good number of ways.

But... I miss the history of Fallout. (No brotherhood of steel. No red rocket. No super duper mart.)
I miss the higher quality weapon animations from fallout.
I miss some of the world of fallout. (Outer Worlds often feels like “not-fallout”)
Oddly enough, I miss the look of fallout. (Outer worlds is kinda ugly, I think...)
Maybe, mostly I miss the sorta real world cities of fallout. So far, no area has been bigger than maybe a few hundred meters across and everything has been very sparsely populated. I miss Washington DC and Boston because they felt far bigger and far more real.

Oh... and I miss my fallout 4 power armor. It was a lot of fun.

So... it’s both fun and a little 1st effort / lower budget. I “bought it” (through game pass) mostly as a refutation of Fallout 76’s online only mess. I’m satisfied, happy even, but I also kinda wish this was already The Outer Worlds 2 or something...

The Outer Worlds

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 26, 2019, 19:25 (1644 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I hear ya.

I can already sort of imagine an Outer Worlds 2 with a bigger scope. Seems like the natural direction to go in a sequel.

There are a lot of "budget" thins about the game. There's only a handful of weapons, and once you level up enough, they all get recycled as Mk. II versions with higher damage numbers. There aren't a whole lot of armor options, and none of them look particularly good.

I like the art style, but it (along with a lot of other stuff about the game) does feel like it's intentionally the opposite of Fallout.

I am enjoying it for what it is, which is a competently made Bethesda-style RPG. If Fallout 4 had actually be good, maybe this wouldn't land quite as well. As it stands, though, it's been long enough since I've had a good one of these that I can forgive most of it's faults, and sort of appreciate it's "budget" aspects. After Fallout 4, I don't have much faith that Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield are going to be any good, so I'm definitely looking to Obsidian to pick up that mantle now.

I definitely think there's room for this IP and universe to grow. The premise is interesting enough, I think.

The Outer Worlds

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 28, 2019, 17:30 (1642 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So . . .

I think I might be done with this game. I'm not sure I've ever turned around on a game so quickly.

I still don't think it's a bad game by any means, but . . .

I'm on Monarch. Like probably halfway through the series of quests there. I just ran out of steam. I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer at this point, and I just don't feel like playing any more.

The companion characters are all pretty boring, except for Parvati who I like quite a bit.

The game has a weird tone. It's like Borderlands, but not anywhere near as good. It's trying to be funny and serious at the same time, and it's not really working the way Borderlands does.

I was halfway through a quest to help some people and I realized "I don't actually give a shit about any of this." I like the universe the premise of the universe they're building, I just don't think it's executed particularly well.

It honestly made me wish I was just playing Borderlands. So I bought that instead.

Wait, what?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 28, 2019, 18:07 (1642 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How long did you play to get there?

Wait, what?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 28, 2019, 19:05 (1642 days ago) @ ZackDark

How long did you play to get there?

To get to Monarch? About ten hours, I'd say. My current playtime according to my most recent save is 12 hours, 33 minutes. I've spent between two an three hours on Monarch so far, I'd guess.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread