Wow, Let's Beat That Dead Horse. (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 19:48 (1598 days ago)

After all this time, I thought Bungie ran out of ways to rub it in.

Dawn rolls out and whadaya know. Now they actually show the blank slots where other players would be.

[image]

I can't believe they'd make an update like that, just throwing it in our faces. They're straight up turning into Burns!

That's exactly what a single player needs to be reminded of, huh. That is messed up.

Wow, Let's Beat That Dead Horse.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 05:18 (1597 days ago) @ Morpheus

Dawn rolls out and whadaya know. Now they actually show the blank slots where other players would be.

[image]

I can't believe they'd make an update like that, just throwing it in our faces. They're straight up turning into Burns!

That's exactly what a single player needs to be reminded of, huh. That is messed up.

That’s... not a reaction I ever would have expected.

I thought it was a nice little QOL feature, since it visualizes how many players can be in a fireteam for any given activity. With so many different activities in the game that allow various different sizes of fireteam, I think it’s actually quite helpful.

Is playing this game solo a thing that solo players are generally sensitive about? Honestly, this just never occurred to me. I spend the majority of my time playing solo for various reasons, but when I want to play with people, there’s no shortage of ways to make that happen.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 06:29 (1597 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My only complaint is that it’s sort of ugly. I sort of thought it might be a bug.

As for solo play . . . is this still really an issue? I don’t feel like even Bungie is pretending you can play this game alone like they used to do.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 08:05 (1597 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As for solo play . . . is this still really an issue? I don’t feel like even Bungie is pretending you can play this game alone like they used to do.

Yeah, if we were talking about ways that Bungie might make it easier to link up with other players, I'm all ears. But solutions do exist, they work, and they're easy to use. My real-life situation makes it almost impossible for me to schedule Destiny stuff with friends ahead of time. I just jump on and play when I can, until Jr wakes up and I suddenly need to bail. I still manage to run the raid and dungeon 3 times per week, do all my 980 nightfalls and master nightmare hunts, etc. If none of my friends are available when I am, I just find other people. I use the Xbox LFG app almost daily, plus there's R/Fireteams, the Bungie app, Discord... plenty of options.

I hammer this point home only to encourage anyone who's feeling a bit left out of certain group activities in Destiny. It really is easy find people to play with. You just need to be a little pro-active about it, and ok with the fact that you're not going to click with every single group you join.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 09:54 (1597 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh that’s all true. Xbox LFG is such a great tool. I hope Sony copies it.

I do think Bungie should find an in game solution, whatever that looks like. The increase in match made activities is already a huge improvement, though.

My point is that at this stage in Destiny’s life, I no longer find “the game doesn’t cater to solo play” to be a valid complaint. It just straight up isn’t a solo game.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 10:57 (1597 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s operating on the assumption that those folks are looking for/playing the game the same way you do. There are lots of things one can do while never touching a fireteam. Even some end game activities, not that they actually matter in the current state of Destiny.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11:18 (1597 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11:34

That’s operating on the assumption that those folks are looking for/playing the game the same way you do. There are lots of things one can do while never touching a fireteam. Even some end game activities, not that they actually matter in the current state of Destiny.

High level Nightfalls, Raids, and Heroic story missions are the only things you can even load into solo. Everything else will throw you into matchmaking. You can play “alone”, insofar as not being in fireteam, but you cannot truly play the game solo. It’s pretty clear Bungie doesn’t want to entertain letting you play completely solo.

I’m not operating under the assumption that no one wants to play the game solo. I am operating under the assumption that the game is clearly not designed to be played solo, so the fact that the game doesn’t have enough to do solo (or is otherwise not geared toward solo play) is not really a legitimate complaint. I think it absolutely was a legitimate complaint in the D1 era, when they straight up said you could just play the game alone. Maybe even in early D2. But it’s been five years now, we all know what type of game it is. Getting mad that Bungie has the audacity to show players that the activity being launched has space for five friends might actually be the silliest complaint I’ve ever seen about the game, and I browse the subreddit nearly every day.

FWIW, I thought the original post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but this thread sort of escalated into the theoretical beyond that. I have no clue how Morpheus engages with Destiny or if he really expects to be able to just completely solo the game or not.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 14:29 (1597 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I mean, even in matchmaking with how many players are as effective as Emile or Kat in a fight feels like one is playing alone anyway. Whether or not that is valid “solo” play doesn’t matter. And I would assume the original comment was in good humor. But an entirely superfluous change that was not noted and presents like a bug? If it was supposed to be a feature I don’t think it was a worthwhile use of resources.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 10:09 (1597 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It really is easy find people to play with.

That depends…

It'd be impossible for me to find 5 other people who are blind to the raids from Forsaken on. Even if I were inclined to try, I don't think it'd be easy.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11:03 (1597 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It really is easy find people to play with.

That depends…

It'd be impossible for me to find 5 other people who are blind to the raids from Forsaken on. Even if I were inclined to try, I don't think it'd be easy.

I think you're right, but that's pretty clearly an edge-case scenario. I suspect there are relatively few players in that particular boat right now (which is why it would be difficult to find such a group). If you just want to run any of the raids, its easy to find a group. There are even quite a few Flawless Raid posts on Xbox LFG for the last 2 or 3 raids.

i before e except after c

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 06:46 (1597 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Kermit, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 07:13

[image]

Hey friend, I've been meaning to thank you again for sending my Halo poster.

When you interpret everything as a personal offense, reality tends to conform to your interpretations. But don't listen to me--I'm just an old dude who has seen his share of solitude (sometimes preferred, sometimes not).

Honestly think it's a bug

by FyreWulff, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 05:24 (1594 days ago) @ Morpheus

Or feels like one. There's been no mention of this in patch notes and you can't even press a button or click on one of the empty slots to quickly pop to the roster to invite someone into the slot

If it's meant to show how many players can come with you on each activity, sure, but maybe they should only make the box appear if you have at least 2 people (because then you're clearly in the invitin' mood). When you're playing solo it just looks like unfinished UI.

Good point

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 12:32 (1594 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Maybe it should only show up after you’ve selected an activity.

Honestly think it's a bug

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 19:47 (1591 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Or feels like one. There's been no mention of this in patch notes and you can't even press a button or click on one of the empty slots to quickly pop to the roster to invite someone into the slot

If it's meant to show how many players can come with you on each activity, sure, but maybe they should only make the box appear if you have at least 2 people (because then you're clearly in the invitin' mood). When you're playing solo it just looks like unfinished UI.

Ugggghh....sorry I was gone so long, had to go to the hospital again.

But that's a perfect example right there. Having multiple fireteam members already shows prominently on the screen--it doesn't make sense to put empty spaces there. If it's to 'indicate' more players can participate in an activity, that's why they have the number of players on every node thing in the Director, and have had that since Destiny 1's beta. While Bungie seems to reward a squad-up mentality, the solo players are still out there;the lone stragglers who won't—or can't—find the fireteam they need or want to get the job done. Yes, LFG's and search groups exist, but most of them are understandably more focused on the most current thing. If a player can't (or doesn't want to) form a group to take on a specific activity, what sense does it make to pile on 2-5 empty slots on top of it? And with the nodes already established, what purpose would that serve other than to say 'ha ha, go enjoy this by yourself'?

[Tangent] Your health

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 19, 2019, 05:30 (1590 days ago) @ Morpheus

Sorry, man. How are you holding up? I remember you had a lot of rough patches over the years, regarding your health.

Feel free to tell me to piss off if you're not comfortable sharing, btw.

[Tangent] Your health

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 19:38 (1590 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sorry, man. How are you holding up? I remember you had a lot of rough patches over the years, regarding your health.

Feel free to tell me to piss off if you're not comfortable sharing, btw.

Worse.

During the Fall, I worked up a pattern of some consistency to help with my heart health—I started walking a mile or so in the morning, fell in love with Babish, and started making more conscious decisions in my eating and drinking habits. Obviously, resolves still wavered—I still went to the soda machine on the occasions I went out, but I would at least turn to Sprite Zero, or something non-carbonated instead of just whatever I liked. Things were slimming down a little, and while it was not very perfect, I was at least making a damn effort. Things were pretty good up until the day Shadowkeep came out. It was around that time that I got sick again--as you probably know, as you take drugs, your system grows and gets used to its effects. It turns out my body had built up a resistance to the medications that were helping said body. I was prescribed new medications to help out(and it did), but when I ran out, I couldn't get any refills. Then my PCP left the discount clinic that I go to, and they told me I couldn't see a new doctor for a very long time, leaving me stuck between a rock and a hard place. Oversimplifyingly, my most recent non-insured hospital admission was because I ran out of meds!

Oh, and something something quarter-million dollar mark.

But thank you for asking, I do appreciate the concern and everything. It does help to have an outlet to discuss it and get some of this weight off my chest. Things are so difficult right now. Having to put such a hard limit on how much you want to eat, having to pick out stuff you know you're not gonna like, following such a ridiculous circus act with just trying to get the medications you need...not to mention the effects. I'm massivelysore...of course you're going to be aching after a workout or something--I'm hurt like ALL the time. When I urinate, the stench of that fluid is so unspeakable I nearly pass out. Not to mention the disturbing Breaking Bad color. (sorry for putting that image in your heads) And my vision focus fluctuates...Don't be alarmed, I'm not going blind or anything(at least not yet!)--but looking at stuff like iPhone text or distant words really varies from time to time and day to day. Sometimes I can see it normally, sometimes I have to focus my eyes back and forth, and sometimes it's just a blur. I have glasses to try and bridge the connection, but again, its assistance varies.

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to pay for the mountain of charges I've left behind me...but on the plus side, open enrollment finally shone a small sliver. After literally days of phone football and explaining my financial and health situation to stunned silence, one insurance company(which, believe me, I had to look up to make sure it was real) actually accepted me, and put me on a plan, insuring me for the first time in almost five years! So come January, hopefully and pleadingly, somethings will brighten up and life will get better...

Let's play some raids.

[Tangent] Your health

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 19, 2019, 20:02 (1590 days ago) @ Morpheus

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to pay for the mountain of charges I've left behind me...but on the plus side, open enrollment finally shone a small sliver. After literally days of phone football and explaining my financial and health situation to stunned silence, one insurance company(which, believe me, I had to look up to make sure it was real) actually accepted me, and put me on a plan, insuring me for the first time in almost five years! So come January, hopefully and pleadingly, somethings will brighten up and life will get better...

w00t! Keep it up, man. You'll get there in no time.

Let's play some raids.

Indeed, lets. Got myself 'annual pass' for Xbox too for xmas, should be able to participate more over the XBL side.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread