Games of the Decade (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 21:01 (1589 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 21:05

How did theoriginal thread get locked?

So, I'd consider Minecraft to be the game of the decade in the truest sense of the term.

But what about a personal list?

2010s:

10. Nier Automata
9. Night in the Woods
8. Dark Souls
7. The Last of Us
6. Life is Strange
5. Beyond Two Souls
4. Bayonetta
3. Vanquish
2. Death Stranding
1. Kentucky Route Zero

2000s:

10. Portal
9. Mirror's Edge
8. Soul Calibur II
7. Metal Slug 3
6. The Sims
5. Ico
4. Gears of War
3. Metal Gear Solid 2
2. Halo
1. Deus Ex

1990s:

10. Super Mario Bros 3
9. Final Fantasy VII
8. Street Fighter II
7. Starcraft
6. Metal Gear Solid
5. TIE Fighter
4. Marathon
3. Sim City 2000
2. Policenauts
1. Sam & Max hit the Road

1980s:

This is hard just whatever Megaman 2.

Games of the Decade

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 22:40 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's the GV addendum; if a thread hasn't seen a new post in 2 weeks, it's locked.

Trust me, it's better this way.

Got a chuckle out of me

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 20, 2019, 06:44 (1589 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Games of the Decade

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, December 20, 2019, 06:37 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm going to make a modified list because my gaming experience isn't vast enough to fill ten games per decade. I also still play old games on a regular basis, so I'll just list my all time favorite games, in no order.

Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach (Xbox, Xbox 360)
Destiny Franchise (Xbox One)
Wreckfest (Xbox One)
Flatout (Xbox)
Fuzion Frenzy (Xbox)
Nascar '98 (PS1)
Destruction Derby (PS1)
Jet Moto (PS1)
Driver (PS1)
Gran Turismo (PS1)
GTA3 (PS2)
GTA Vice City (PS2)
Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
Mario Kart Franchise
Super Mario Brothers Franchise
Tetris (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade (NES)
Dr. Mario (NES)
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (SNES)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
Goldeneye (N64)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
Super Contra (NES)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES)

Games of the Decade

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 07:10 (1589 days ago) @ ManKitten

Mario Kart 64 almost made my list. Height of split screen gaming.

Perfect Dark > Goldeneye

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 20, 2019, 07:13 (1589 days ago) @ ManKitten

Fight me

Perfect Dark > Goldeneye

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, December 20, 2019, 07:33 (1589 days ago) @ ZackDark

Fight me

I don't think it needs to go that far. I respect your opinion and have never actually played Perfect Dark. Perhaps a gentleman's handshake?

cuts Zack's brake lines when he isn't looking.

Don’t you mean slappers only?

by Harmanimus @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 16:29 (1588 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

thumbs up emoji

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, December 20, 2019, 16:44 (1588 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Games of the Decade

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 07:47 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No Homeworld for the 90s?

Shame. SHAME.

Missing Half-Life from the 90's list. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, December 20, 2019, 08:37 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Shame. Shaaaaaaaaaaaaame. *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 08:40 (1589 days ago) @ slycrel

And Half-Life 2 from the 2000s!

Who is this Cody kid anyway? I bet his plays Vanquish like a trucking simulator.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 09:04 (1589 days ago) @ slycrel

You’ve… actually PLAYED Half Life right? It’s massively overrated in my opinion.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 09:11 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You’ve… actually PLAYED Half Life right? It’s massively overrated in my opinion.

Did you think this at the time?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 09:49 (1589 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yes 100%.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:48 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes 100%.

Fair enough!

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:15 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was nearly ready to walk away from gaming in my life at the time it came out.

It singlehandedly restored my faith in the PC gaming industry.

So... yes, I have played it, then and many times since. Shame that you don't feel it's worth even a passing mention.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:23 (1588 days ago) @ slycrel

So... yes, I have played it, then and many times since. Shame that you don't feel it's worth even a passing mention.

I did not say it was not worth a mention. It is just not in the top 10 of the decade IMO.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:25 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did not say it was not worth a mention. It is just not in the top 10 of the decade IMO.

I must have misunderstood you then. Regardless, I understand better why you left it off. Thanks!

Polygon’s Top 50 Games of the Decade.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 09:17 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Some questionable choices there, but a fun video.

Polygon’s Top 50 Games of the Decade.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 09:57 (1589 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wow I'm kind of surprised they actually played Kentucky Route Zero.

Also no Last of Us is kind of… wrong.

KR0 is one thing we can all agree on.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:37 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Don't we all also agree 343 ruined Halo?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:56 (1589 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Fair point, but I'd say it differently.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 12:35 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think they just ran with it in a specific direction, which was kind of...off the rails. They did what they did with heart, and still do, and I think they should be commended for what Halo:MCC has become. And even though I think the MCC qualifies as capital-G Great at this point; it's still all old-Bungie fare. There isn't any 343 work that has really recaptured for me what Halo "really" was. And a lot of that has to do with the direction they took all of the fiction.

But Halo 4 legitimately had some great multiplayer. Everything else they've done has amounted to polishing Bungie's catalog up for the current gen. I'm interested in trying out Halo Infinite, but honestly I'd rather they do their own Rogue One/ODST kinda dealy. I think that would land much better.

Their Halo sucks. Doesn't ruin what Bungie did.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:03 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I don't, but I'm tired of talking about that

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, January 09, 2020, 03:12 (1569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

No Escape Velocity? Sad.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 20, 2019, 10:09 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

No Escape Velocity? Sad.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:25 (1588 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Registered to to shut up Captain Hector.

Captain Hector was a dick.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 23, 2019, 08:25 (1586 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Nah

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 18:59 (1584 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 19:12

He was just persistent. The freeware model was fun while it lasted. RIP Ambrosia Software

Games of the Decade

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:41 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So, I'd consider Minecraft to be the game of the decade in the truest sense of the term.

But what about a personal list?

I would say Minecraft deserves an honorable mention, sure; but only because it took randomly-generated worlds (which had always existed) a bit further. It paved some of the way for games like Deep Rock Galactic. Which, by the way, is a great little indie game that way more people should play.

And to that point, personal lists are just that. I think with regard to games they merely speak to one's experience and not more than that, because the choices we make as far as what we're going to invest the time in are what says a lot. I don't know that there's a good universal rubric to judge them by. It's not like we could all take an hour or so and play a whole game through, the way we can with music albums. All those blah-blah-blahs aside; my picks include:

Titanfall 2 (seriously, nobody? FOR SHAME)
Otogi 2
Kentucky Route Zero
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ikaruga
Crimson Skies (Original)
Powerstone
Deep Rock Galactic
Grim Fandango

...yeah I'm gonna stop because this would take all day.

Games of the Decade

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:51 (1589 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:55

And to that point, personal lists are just that. I think with regard to games they merely speak to one's experience and not more than that, because the choices we make as far as what we're going to invest the time in are what says a lot. I don't know that there's a good universal rubric to judge them by. It's not like we could all take an hour or so and play a whole game through, the way we can with music albums. All those blah-blah-blahs aside; my picks include:

Ikaruga
Grim Fandango

Uh those were not released in the 2010s? Unless your list is a best of all time?

BTW if you liked Ikaruga try out Mushihimesama Futari, DoDonPachi, or Espgaluda II (you can import them on Xbox 360). They have the same beauty but move beyond mere memorization.

Meh, formatting.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:56 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ikaruga
Grim Fandango

Uh those were not released in the 2010s? Unless your list is a best of all time?

Nah, I saw that you were going all the way back to the 80's so I just grabbed a bunch of stuff off the top of my head. I should also not fail to mention Alien Vs. Predator (Arcade).

BTW if you liked Ikaruga try out Mushihimesama Futari, DoDonPachi, or Espgaluda II.

Are those Cave shooters? Because it's been a minute since I've indulged in that kind of stress. I'll check them out.

Meh, formatting.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 20, 2019, 11:57 (1589 days ago) @ Malagate

BTW if you liked Ikaruga try out Mushihimesama Futari, DoDonPachi, or Espgaluda II.

Are those Cave shooters? Because it's been a minute since I've indulged in that kind of stress. I'll check them out.

They are. All are available on Xbox 360 I believe.

Games of the Decade

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 18:47 (1584 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I haven't put much though into a full top ten list.

I can say with complete certainty that my game of the decade is The Witcher 3. I don't think it's the best game, necessarily, but it's my favorite but a pretty considerable margin. I own it on Xbox One, PS4, and now Switch. I'm a few hours into my sixth playthrough, my first on Switch. It's remarkably good on Switch. It's not perfect by any means, but it is completely acceptable to to play such a massive, amazing game on a portable system.

Very few games have captured my attention and my imagination like The Witcher 3 did. Majora's Mask was probably the first game to really do it, and Morrowind shortly after that. I don't think anything else until The Witcher 3 did so in the same way. It's a very difficult thing to articulate, but I feel like I'm transported to another world every time I play it.

As for the rest of the list . . .

Death Stranding probably makes the list. There's a massive recency bias there, but I've never played another game like it. Just a supremely unique, cool game.

I think one of the Dishonored games would be there.

The Last of Us is obvious.

Destiny is there, maybe as a cheat by using just the series instead of picking one game over the other.

Halo Reach is on the list for sure.

Breath of the Wild has to be on it.

Life is Strange, too.

Games of the Decadez

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:18 (1583 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Back expanding the scope eh? More then one decade now? Let's see what I recall, with the caveat being once again these are within the scope of games I've played and so on as mentioned in my previous utterance towards this topic.

Right, so I should first start this with I haven't touched PlayStation anything since OG. I'm hoping that with Ps5 Back Compat, I can play all the Single Player Games. I really don't want to bother signing up for a PlayStation Account, as I just want to play the games and shoo away all the Sony nonsense. That's the idea anyway. I haven't touched Nintendos stuff in years either (sans what I already have). Come on Nintendo! Let's get a Kirby Air Ride 2!

In otherwords, this is all Xbox.

First I need to give an Honorable mention to this combo here; Assassin's Creed II (2009), Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010), & Assassin's Creed: Revelations (2011), which is otherwise known as the Ezio Trilogy. This, among all its flaws, was Assassin's Creed at its best for me. Haven't touched the series since.

2010s: - Refined the Games.

15. Ori and the Blind Forest (2015)
14. Halo: Reach (2010)
13. Titanfall 2 (2016)
12. Overwatch (2016)
11. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
10. Dishonored 2 (2016)
9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
8. Mass Effect 3 (2012)
7. Prey (2017 video game)
6. Control (2019)
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)
3. Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)
2. BioShock Infinite (2013)
1. Mass Effect 2 (2010)

2000s: - Made the Tastes.

15. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (2006)
14. Mirror's Edge (2008)
13. Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003)
12. Battlefield: Bad Company (2008)
11. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (2006)
10. Far Cry 2 (2008)
9. BioShock (2007)
8. Mass Effect (2007)
7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
6. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (2002)
5. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
4. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
3. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005)
2. Jade Empire (2005)
1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004)

1990s:
What's this!? The 90's? Aw man... IDK... in no particular order, RollerCoaster Tycoon (1999), Super Mario World (1991)... that's all I recall. Gaming was very casual then.

1980s:
I recall enjoying Ghouls 'n Ghosts in the arcade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread