Saint-14 (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Friday, December 20, 2019, 23:10 (1588 days ago)

So I logged in to Destiny tonight and discovered that I had saved Saint-14. He’s very thankful and happy to be in back in the City.

Except... I have no recollection of doing so. Did I miss a quest step somewhere along the way?

Saint-14

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 20, 2019, 23:50 (1588 days ago) @ Oholiab

Wait, he's there for everyone?

Talk to Osiris, there's a whole "busy work, then mission, then busy work, then mission" questline to introduce Saint-XIV and, well, save him.

Saint-14

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Saturday, December 21, 2019, 08:04 (1587 days ago) @ ZackDark

So it seems. And he set up right in the middle of the soccer field. Rude.

Saint-14

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 09:56 (1587 days ago) @ ManKitten

Dude. He's been killing Fallen for centuries. He doesn't even know what soccer IS, any more. (Was Saint ever a kid? Maybe he was born into this war!)

As a Brazilian, I resent this proposition

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, December 21, 2019, 09:59 (1587 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Not sure why.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 11:09 (1587 days ago) @ ZackDark

Dude. He's been killing Fallen for centuries. He doesn't even know what soccer IS, any more. (Was Saint ever a kid? Maybe he was born into this war!)

He said soccer, not football. That's two totally different things! :P

Not sure why.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 12:16 (1587 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

He said soccer, not football. That's two totally different things! :P

It’s fascinating the end result of sports in the Destiny universe is basically “kill each other in the crucible”.

Not sure why.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 13:00 (1587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Don’t forget “kill each other on flying death machines while racing through obstacle courses.”

No no, that seems about right.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, December 22, 2019, 02:17 (1587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you honestly telling me if death had no consequence we wouldn't be doing that shit?

Saint-14

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 22:06 (1587 days ago) @ ManKitten

Check his rear landing gear.

I just got the shotgun to start the quest...today. haha

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 22:17 (1587 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 06:42 (1584 days ago) @ slycrel

Wait... THAT shotgun quest is the one that leads to the mission to save him? Pretty sure I deleted that one because shotguns aren’t part of my “legend”.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 07:19 (1584 days ago) @ Oholiab

Hah!

Yeah, remember in Curse of Osiris when we get Perfect Paradox from his grave? It's that same shotgun.

Doh!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 07:59 (1584 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Indeed. It's not clear how important this quest thread is.

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 08:00 (1584 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

Saint-14

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, December 23, 2019, 13:01 (1585 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Korny, Monday, December 23, 2019, 13:40

So I logged in to Destiny tonight and discovered that I had saved Saint-14. He’s very thankful and happy to be in back in the City.

Except... I have no recollection of doing so. Did I miss a quest step somewhere along the way?

It's interesting how Bungie is handling the progressing story that has replaced any actual arc. You are supposed to feel as though you are participating in the events, and driving change in the game state, but it will march on with or without you, and without waiting for you at any of the steps.

It will cause a huge dissonance for anybody who isn't completing the steps as they come, and Bungie isn't exactly making players feel involved even when they are devouring the content the moment it hits the table (remember that portal that took weeks to build with zero player input, then poofed in a tuft of smoke the second the season changed, with talk of your great success even if you didn't do anything?).

I dunno. On the one hand, the fact that you not only feel a disconnect, but you permanently miss out on the content itself when the season changes is a bad way of handling a living world, but on the other, at least the game is changing, being refined, and giving us something fresh every few months...

Saint-14

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 08:10 (1584 days ago) @ Korny

With a little effort, they can have both. For example, they could have had saint 14 locked behind a questline rather than just showing up in the tower week 2. Or they could have a little extra dialogue, talking about another guardian saving them. After I became his savior, I started paying attention to how much time it took me to "unlock" him since the shotgun quest. It was 6-8 additional gameplay hours. And it was confusing, but sort of fits, too -- I did save him, in his past and my future. But I don't think that was intentional. heh.

Really, this is probably the same reason why I want the raids to release later. There is no buildup or anticipation. It's all geared towards fast consumption. Doesn't feel intentional or paced sometimes, just... dumped. The seasons have both made this better, with dropped content throughout the season, and worse, where you have micro-cycles of bursts of gameplay. I think this is fixable, but I think Bungie has to want to fix it -- and right now I'm pretty sure this is "good enough". The balance of storytelling and "more content" I think is interesting. I suspect I'm in the minority of the playerbase, wanting a little more polish there. Bungie obviously thinks so, locking all of the previous story behind Amanda's vendoring without really telling people. It's there, but you have to dig a bit for it, just like the lore text.

Saint-14

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 22:59 (1584 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 23:47

Crackpot theory /-/Rampant Speculation/-/

Could Osiris be Saint-14's Brother? (Could they be literal Brothers (blood relation)? Or is it just proverbial brothers like Osiris->Brother Vance? Or like any Titan=Bro)

Could our player character (our Guardian), be Saint-14's Brother?

*Spoilers?*

https://youtu.be/Hjfa2xN289M?t=401

[quote]> "My friend, would you tell Osiris... my brother, when he is ready to speak, I am here"[/quote]

https://youtu.be/Hjfa2xN289M?t=468

[quote]> “I do not know how long I wandered the Infinite Forest. But once, I believed I had found Osiris. I chased his reflection for days, through churning landscapes, through a thousand shifting realities. Until they became real. I believed his reflection would lead me back to him. I washed upon shores of minds, who spoke in broken pieces of ideas. I did not understand, and they cast me out.

[quote]Through all this I kept my eyes locked on that golden image of my brother. He drifted through seas of code, opening doorways where there was nothing. I fell through existence for lifetimes, and my ghost kept me breathing. You have only seen the surface, my friend. Do not go deeper.[/quote]

[quote]I cannot say that reflection was even real. I hope it was not, that it would not bring me to such a place. It is difficult to think back on these things. It is a place that twists understanding until it breaks, and I will never go back." [/quote][/quote]

This seems like a distinction that has not been made up until Season of Dawn and possibly could be missed or glanced over in random AFK dialogue more easily than, The Speaker = Saint-14's Father?/or did it mean Father-like figure?; which seems somewhat clearer in the playable missions?

Osiris searched Time and Space for His Brother, Saint-14, while Saint-14 tried to fight his way back and follow Osiris's wandering and searching reflections back to Reality?

I was today years old

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 03:07 (1584 days ago) @ Oholiab

When I realised Saint is an exo and that 14 is his reboot number. Just like all the other Exos.

I don't know why but I always just thought he was a Human or Awoken with a cool name. Especially now that he's confirmed Russian.

I was today years old

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 08:03 (1583 days ago) @ someotherguy

When I realised Saint is an exo and that 14 is his reboot number. Just like all the other Exos.

I don't know why but I always just thought he was a Human or Awoken with a cool name. Especially now that he's confirmed Russian.

I thought he was Greek?

Also, N is the 14th letter of the alphabet. Saint N (Nicholas?) showed up at the tower at Christmas time.

I was today years old

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 09:06 (1583 days ago) @ bluerunner

I thought he was Greek?

Also, N is the 14th letter of the alphabet. Saint N (Nicholas?) showed up at the tower at Christmas time.

14 = 2 x se7en

Confirmed Russian by Bungie

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 15:44 (1583 days ago) @ bluerunner

(According to some post on reddit a week ago so YMMV. I wanted him to be Greek though. Stereotypical badass russians are boring. Though at least saint is also super wholesome)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:07 (1582 days ago) @ someotherguy

(According to some post on reddit a week ago so YMMV. I wanted him to be Greek though. Stereotypical badass russians are boring. Though at least saint is also super wholesome)

His armor has a Greek theme, and he is heavily tied in with the Vex, who are named after Greek mythology, so obviously Bungie decides he should be Russian. Plus I have several Russian friends and he sounds like none of them. I would have bought it being a Greek accent maybe. His Russian accent sounds like the equivalent of someone from Boston doing a "southern" accent.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:40 (1582 days ago) @ bluerunner

I think saying that his armor is Greek themed might be a stretch. Especially with the use of Roman Numerals, the Fleur-de-lis, etc. in his associated motifs. Same with Vex names, as they are generally Latin via the Greek, or from Old/Middle English. I don’t think either optionnis any more obtuse than the other.

And Cayde-6 is technically some variety of South American. So, ya know. Not sure if accents are necessarily reliable post Golden Age.

Mr. Scorchmark (Callum...something) is an Irishman.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, December 26, 2019, 12:24 (1582 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Although I don't know if we ever know for sure whether he's an Exo or not. But accents at least *ought* to be something that still hearkens back to the person an Exo used to be. One of the defining characteristics of a person that even technology can't erase. Maybe a bit romantic, but it fits the fiction in a way that gives it some life. And Destiny can always use more of that. And otherwise, if it weren't so, then what would be the point of giving them accents in the first place?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 26, 2019, 15:28 (1582 days ago) @ Malagate

Ada-1 is French, but has no accent.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, December 26, 2019, 16:36 (1582 days ago) @ Malagate

Although I don't know if we ever know for sure whether he's an Exo or not.

Curse of Osiris confirmed that he is.

When you find his body, you can see his Exo face.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread