Indie Game final exam (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 25, 2013, 09:13 (3838 days ago)

This one is a little different. No longer do you HAVE to disparage indie games.

Pick an indie game. It could be your favorite, least favorite, or something in between. Write an in depth review and analysis of it. It could be positive, or it could be negative. Ideally it would be a game that has had some sort of impact. You have one shot; no revisions, The review you post is the one I consider.

The review will be judged by the quality of analysis. That's what I'm looking for: analysis. You can praise even Journey so long as you back yourself up.

The person with the best review will get a game gifted to them on steam. Anything they want less than 20 bucks.

Indie Game final exam

by Jillybean, Friday, October 25, 2013, 09:28 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wasn't your last question something along the lines of "prove there's no such thing as indie"?

Indie Game final exam

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 25, 2013, 09:38 (3838 days ago) @ Jillybean

Wasn't your last question something along the lines of "prove there's no such thing as indie"?

There isn't, but as we've seen a lot of people have their own definitions as well as what the mainstream media considers indie.

You know what I mean.

Indie Game final exam

by Jillybean, Friday, October 25, 2013, 09:57 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the indie game with the greatest impact is Grand Theft Auto V.

It is a gritty and realistic portrayal of the drug industry. It clearly takes cues from the Wire, Breaking Bad and other indie darlings.

Being made by a small, local company, it has resisted the urge to conform to social pressures. Particularly with regards to meaningful female characters. Or meaningful characters. Edinburgh, well known for being a friendly, close-knit city, is well used to seeing Rockstars throwing out ideas in the pub. It's a very home grown community.

The impact of GTA V is clear. The grassroots campaign is the epitome of low-cost publicity and yet it has become one of the most talked about games of the year.

<3

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, October 25, 2013, 10:26 (3838 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

Aquaria

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 25, 2013, 13:46 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, October 25, 2013, 14:19

Aquaria
My favorite indie game of all time is Aquaria the winner of the 2007 Independent Game Festival. There is a ton that can be said about this game. It is beautiful both in its sound and graphics. It is packed with content, from a huge world to explore, to challenging combat, to interesting puzzles to solve. But the best part of Aquaria is the way it is all integrated. The graphics, music, and gameplay are all part of an interesting and tragic story.

Aquaria’s gameplay revolves around Naija, the aquatic humanoid who serves as the game’s primary character, using her high mobility to dodge attacks and out maneuver enemies and use her other powers and forms to defeat a variety of unique bosses and mild puzzles. The variety of enemies is quite varied. Some are quick and mobile, some have weak points or defenses you have to first breach. While there is a set story, exploration through the various zones has a good bit of free roaming to it. There are story points that prevent you from accessing some places, but eventually you’ll be able to go where you want before the end of the story.

Through the use of a wheel of musical notes Naija can transform herself into different forms as well as utilize a variety of other powers. Powers include the ability to generate a defensive shield and move objects. Naija’s different transformation include her combat centric Energy Form, protective Nature Form, and exploration centered Sun Form that lets her navigate otherwise dark, very nearly inaccessible places.

The game is large. My first play through took a full ten hours to complete. This is not some small anemic game. It’s packed full. There are several distinct areas each with their own visuals, enemies and story points. There is a ton of stuff to see and find and do. One of my favorite side quests is a challenging race against ghostly seahorses. But there are tons of other things to find, many of which are only accessible through the use of the new abilities and forms you discover along the way. There’s a lot of back tracking and side bosses and hidden bits of interestness to find, if you want to.

But again, the best part of Aquaria is how everything ties together. The story revolves around Naija’s quest to discover who she is and why she seems to resemble the former citizens of several now destroyed civilizations. Each one arose but was eventually destroyed by the force that created it. As Naija explores the vast world of Aquaria she discovers the horrors of what happened to these peoples. Two groups destroyed each other in war. One literally sacrificed its own citizens in a futile effort to escape their impending doom, and another one attempted to flee the ocean itself through the use of technology before they too were destroyed. Naija eventually learns what happened and vows revenge. Even then she struggles with giving in to her darker nature as she attempts to right the wrongs that were done to Aquaria.

In the end, Aquaria is a great game because the way it tells a good story that is supported by good combat and exploration, Naija’s occasional narration, the beautiful and eerie locations she explores, and even the good, catchy music constantly playing in the background. If you’ve got a few bucks and a few free hours I highly recommend Aquaria and I hold it up as an example of an excellent indie game.

You Win

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 02, 2013, 10:14 (3830 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You wrote the only review!

What game do you want and what's your steam name?

You Win

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 02, 2013, 17:56 (3830 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cool. I was working all day so I'll get back to you tomorrow with a choice. Sorry no one else responded. :(

What's your beef with Journey, now?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 09:27 (3837 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 28, 2013, 06:37 (3835 days ago) @ Malagate

His problem is it's touted as an indie darling when it was very well funded by Sony.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 28, 2013, 08:49 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

His problem is it's touted as an indie darling when it was very well funded by Sony.

No. The problem is entirely with the game. It's a game that creates an environment, but only asks you to interact with it in the simplest of ways. The puzzle sections aren't really puzzle sections but cutscenes masquerading as puzzles. It's unchallenging. The illusion of the world it creates is ultimately undone when you realize you can only explore it superficially. Games 15 years prior gave you more complex platforming options (such as Mario 64). The multiplayer is stupid since while you see other players, you can't really interact and journey together.

It's just a bad game, indie or not.

I don't think that was the point

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 28, 2013, 16:43 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No. The problem is entirely with the game. It's a game that creates an environment, but only asks you to interact with it in the simplest of ways. The puzzle sections aren't really puzzle sections but cutscenes masquerading as puzzles. It's unchallenging. The illusion of the world it creates is ultimately undone when you realize you can only explore it superficially. Games 15 years prior gave you more complex platforming options (such as Mario 64). The multiplayer is stupid since while you see other players, you can't really interact and journey together.

But yeah, I don't think I'd like to play it either. I really like the concept, but wouldn't enjoy it much.

Correction.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 28, 2013, 20:50 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bad Art.

:)

--------------
...Oh who am I kidding. As much as I want to just post the above and let it be, you'll just bastardize it, speaking as if I didn't understand what you were saying (at the very least). Worst of all while you type up the rambling yet potent post, you'll completely miss the deeper point. That was your hint. Have your self a fabulous evening.

Expiration

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 21:58 (3836 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You all have until the thread goes off the first page! Only one review so far!

Expiration

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 22:17 (3836 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which order setting are you using? By last reply or the thread's birth?

Expiration

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 23:45 (3836 days ago) @ Leviathan

Which order setting are you using? By last reply or the thread's birth?

Whatever the default is. New replies do not move the thread up. It stays put.

Expiration

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 28, 2013, 20:33 (3835 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Whatever the default is. New replies do not move the thread up. It stays put.

Wow, someone uses that?

Expiration

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 28, 2013, 21:05 (3835 days ago) @ Kermit

Heck yes. It gives a sense of place.

Expiration

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, October 28, 2013, 21:24 (3835 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heck yes. It gives a sense of place.

This isn't a where. It's a who. o_O

I'm confused...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 28, 2013, 21:48 (3835 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Me too.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, October 28, 2013, 22:04 (3835 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

You can't be confused! *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 28, 2013, 22:49 (3835 days ago) @ Leviathan

Because you're the one who confused me! :p

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread