Why I Hate Forge And Hope It Has No Place In Destiny (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 25, 2013, 20:04 (3838 days ago)

Custom maps. Custom, random, never seen before maps. If I fire up Halo matchmaking it seems like all I end up playing are maps I've never seen before. Then I get beat, not by players, but by maps I can't possibly know. Where did those rockets come from? That shotgun? Those vehicles and sniper rifle? As an infrequent Halo player I'm at the mercy of trying to combat the enemy and the unknown maps.

And I want it all gone.

Just not knowing the maps isn't the only problem, even if it's the biggest. Forge maps. All of them. In every version of Halo. Look like crap. Don't I pay professionals with expensive custom tools to design me excellent looking and playing maps? Oh, that's right! I do! So why am I stuck playing ScreamingXXXboxXXliveboyNumb3rThrieve's randomly chosen map?

So yeah. Hopefully with Bungie's seemingly much more powerful and quick map editing tools and Destiny's always on, always evolving nature, having to deal with lame Forge style maps will be a thing of the past.

Good riddens I say.

P.S. I'll take a "Basics" playlist in exchange for the elimination of Forge as well...

Why I Hate Forge And Hope It Has No Place In Destiny

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, October 25, 2013, 21:25 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've played some great Forge maps, but I understand your frustration completely. I think the key might be to only integrate the very best and to do so slowly, and make big announcements about them when you boot up the game, as if they are DLC.

It's all in the execution.

How about lobby-maps?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 25, 2013, 21:32 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I mean, we're all playing never-before-seen maps at some point. Heck, when I jumped in H2 MP, it was already 2 years old. I was completely lost and people kept punishing me for that. Do I feel like injustice was inflicted upon me? Heck no, it's the nature of the game. One day I'll get to be the one punishing.

Now, a pre-match (either in the lobby or loading screen) would be very nice. Much more so than button configurations (though they both fall into the same logic, IMO).

And about your point of polish, yeah, I agree. We're paying top bucks there. However, with Halo, I usually feel like I underpaid for the amount of enjoyment, so I don't mind unpolish once in a while. Not that I wouldn't love a nicer map maker that allowed a lot more polish. ;)

How about lobby-maps?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:16 (3838 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, we're all playing never-before-seen maps at some point. Heck, when I jumped in H2 MP, it was already 2 years old. I was completely lost and people kept punishing me for that. Do I feel like injustice was inflicted upon me? Heck no, it's the nature of the game. One day I'll get to be the one punishing.

Sure. And I get that. Always fun to grab the flag on your first play through of a map only to stare dumbly at your matchmade ally until he guides you back home.

Now, a pre-match (either in the lobby or loading screen) would be very nice. Much more so than button configurations (though they both fall into the same logic, IMO).

Yeah. Some kind of "here's where the weapons and stuff are" overview would be nice. Also I'd like a much easier way to actually load up and run through a new map. There's some way to download the maps in a playlist right? Whatever it is I don't know it mainly because when I only have an hour or two to play some Halo my first instinct isn't to run around unfamiliar maps looking at weapon placements.

And about your point of polish, yeah, I agree. We're paying top bucks there. However, with Halo, I usually feel like I underpaid for the amount of enjoyment, so I don't mind unpolish once in a while. Not that I wouldn't love a nicer map maker that allowed a lot more polish. ;)

Yeah. That would help some. Our community is certainly up to the task of making better looking maps, if only they had the tools.

I both vehemently agree and disagree, respectfully.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:02 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Disagree? - HBO Customs w/ Forge Maps. I can't count the good times I've had since Forge was introduced in Halo 3.

Quite frankly, I think you are being abit harsh out of the sake of a rant. Its not the what - its the who. ;)

I both vehemently agree and disagree, respectfully.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:20 (3838 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:31

Quite frankly, I think you are being abit harsh out of the sake of a rant. Its not the what - its the who. ;)

Yep. I am. :)

I remember making the argument back during the days of Halo 3 that Halo was worth far more than the competing Modern Call of Honors that were around at the time what with its great single player, great base multiplayer, the ability for players to tweak and create maps in Forge, and the way everything could be played back from any angle. I never messed much with Forge, but it was an important part of the equation.

I know a lot of people have had a lot of fun with Forge, and I don't really want it to vanish, but I would like to see improvements to the editor to make things look nicer, and to the experience of not having a clue what a map will look like or play like before you're dumped into it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:19 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As far as the polish argument I think that if we have tools in Destiny they will be much more powerful than in Halo, but that could just be me being overly excited about a brand new Bungie game.

As far as the rest of it, I liked the way Bungie did it in Reach before 343 took over, very few Forge maps were introduced unless you specifically played in the Community playlist. I do wish they'd had more fully completed maps at the start instead of adding in a few made in Forge, but I'm sure Bungie felt the same way too.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 25, 2013, 22:29 (3838 days ago) @ Xenos

As far as the polish argument I think that if we have tools in Destiny they will be much more powerful than in Halo, but that could just be me being overly excited about a brand new Bungie game.

As far as the rest of it, I liked the way Bungie did it in Reach before 343 took over, very few Forge maps were introduced unless you specifically played in the Community playlist. I do wish they'd had more fully completed maps at the start instead of adding in a few made in Forge, but I'm sure Bungie felt the same way too.

Yeah. These days, in Reach at least... I haven't played Halo 4 multiplayer in a while, you typically get one "real" map and two forge maps offered to you. I would rather it be the other way around, this includes Bungie making enough multiplayer maps to keep the variety up.

Maybe a brief description of the map would help me to. Right now I see "Midas" for instance and think, "What is that?" But if it said "Midas - a largely vertical map with large walled off rooms and mid range lines of sight. Watch out for the Ghost stationed near the bottom!" I'd be a bit happier. Add that to a quick visual overview marking key locations and I'd be a lot happier.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 15:51 (3837 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah. These days, in Reach at least... I haven't played Halo 4 multiplayer in a while, you typically get one "real" map and two forge maps offered to you. I would rather it be the other way around, this includes Bungie making enough multiplayer maps to keep the variety up.

Maybe a brief description of the map would help me to. Right now I see "Midas" for instance and think, "What is that?" But if it said "Midas - a largely vertical map with large walled off rooms and mid range lines of sight. Watch out for the Ghost stationed near the bottom!" I'd be a bit happier. Add that to a quick visual overview marking key locations and I'd be a lot happier.

Perhaps when a map is finished and ready to be considered for a hopper, either the map author or Bungie should put together a brief flythrough vid that will play before the match starts. At the very least vehicle and ammo spawns, teleporters, jump pads, and environmental hazards will be made known to all players.

~m

I take offense to this.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 04:43 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

TL;DR - Our maps are awesome. You should learn them. You might even enjoy H4. Maybe.
Discounting good maps because you haven't played them is the stupidest thing I've heard in a few days (since I saw a picture of some high school students attempting roman numerals that read "Class of II 0 I V").

Custom maps. Custom, random, never seen before maps. If I fire up Halo matchmaking it seems like all I end up playing are maps I've never seen before. Then I get beat, not by players, but by maps I can't possibly know. Where did those rockets come from? That shotgun? Those vehicles and sniper rifle? As an infrequent Halo player I'm at the mercy of trying to combat the enemy and the unknown maps.

And I want it all gone.

Sheesh, people complained about there being not enough maps, so Bungie adds Forge. Now you're gonna complain because there are too many maps. You don't play, so you don't know the maps. You could say the same thing about On Disk/DLC maps.

It's a much more cost effective way to give players more content, and community built maps generally play better than developer maps these days.

Just not knowing the maps isn't the only problem, even if it's the biggest. Forge maps. All of them. In every version of Halo. Look like crap. Don't I pay professionals with expensive custom tools to design me excellent looking and playing maps? Oh, that's right! I do! So why am I stuck playing ScreamingXXXboxXXliveboyNumb3rThrieve's randomly chosen map?

Forge is a limited tool. I imagine that will change with the Xbone, but for now, people can only use what they have. Generally I agree that forge maps look like vomit, but to say they all do is ludicrous. I can bring some pictures if need be. The maps that we (speaking as a Community Cartographer) put into MM are generally very good looking. The only reason an ugly map would get in is if it played excellently, which has happened before. They are never randomly chosen. We take the best content from the best forgers so that players can play the best maps. We spend weeks testing and refining them, so that people enjoy their time in MatchMaking. I think if you learned the maps, you'd enjoy them a lot more than the base maps.

So yeah. Hopefully with Bungie's seemingly much more powerful and quick map editing tools and Destiny's always on, always evolving nature, having to deal with lame Forge style maps will be a thing of the past.

Yeah, hopefully the community will get much more powerful creation tools (in Destiny and Halo 5). Then community maps will flourish.

Good riddens I say.

This is your worst post ever, I say.

I take offense to this.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 07:49 (3838 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

TL;DR - Our maps are awesome. You should learn them. You might even enjoy H4. Maybe.

Ah. I see now. It's my fault for not having the time to play more. I humbly apologize. :p

But seriously, not everyone has the time to be a Community Cartographer, not everybody has the time to play more than a few hours a week. I respect the fact that Forgers put a lot of work into their maps, but when you combine the limitations of the tool with the non-existent help to players that haven't played the new maps before you end up with a worse experience every time.

I think if you learned the maps, you'd enjoy them a lot more than the base maps.

I disagree. I know some Forge maps quite well but even then generic colors and shapes of the Forge blocks breaks my immersion. I'm not saying I don't or can't have fun on a Forged map, but I do think I would have a better experience every single time on a "real" version of the same map.

This is your worst post ever, I say.

Heh. If you read my other responses, especially the on to INSANEdrive you'll see I was being overly harsh for the sake of sparking a discussion and that I'm (a bit?) more reasonable than I intentionally made myself out to be. Regardless, I'm glad you replied. :)

I take offense to this.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:59 (3838 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Forge is a limited tool. I imagine that will change with the Xbone, but for now, people can only use what they have.

This I doubt. I would be extraordinarily surprised if Bungie gave away the proper tools they use to construct maps and allowed players to distribute them over the XBOX ONE'S ecosystem.

Yeah, infinite free DLC is just the worst.

by petetheduck, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 05:23 (3838 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You're complaining about something that is not exclusive to Forge as if it were. The first time you play ANY map--on-disc, DLC, or Forge--you must learn the map.

Just not knowing the maps isn't the only problem, even if it's the biggest. Forge maps. All of them. In every version of Halo. Look like crap. Don't I pay professionals with expensive custom tools to design me excellent looking and playing maps?

So you want to pay money for a handful of finite maps because you think they're prettier?

Forge is the superior way to deliver new content to players. You don't have to worry about all the things associated with DLC, like adoption rates. Not getting to play that DLC much in matchmaking because the matchmaking system isn't finding other players that have also purchased that DLC? Not a problem with Forge.

The tool can be improved, but in my opinion, Forge is the single most important element in the longevity of Halo. Infinite free DLC. It should be getting much more dev focus than it has in the past, which would address your petty concern about visuals.

This paragraph has no clear meaning that I can discern.

P.S. I'll take a "Basics" playlist in exchange for the elimination of Forge as well...

I was saying this back in Halo: Reach, that sometimes I just want to play on-disc maps, so I can definitely appreciate this comment. Better playlist management is the key to this particular gripe, not removing Forge as a feature.

I don't think Forge maps should be in every single playlist.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:08 (3838 days ago) @ petetheduck

You're complaining about something that is not exclusive to Forge as if it were. The first time you play ANY map--on-disc, DLC, or Forge--you must learn the map.

Well, yes. But I can learn the base maps over time. Forge maps rotate in an out meaning that there's always a new one I don't know.

So you want to pay money for a handful of finite maps because you think they're prettier?

Sure. I enjoy the artistry that goes into "real" maps. The additional detail also help with a sense of place in a map.

Forge is the superior way to deliver new content to players. You don't have to worry about all the things associated with DLC, like adoption rates. Not getting to play that DLC much in matchmaking because the matchmaking system isn't finding other players that have also purchased that DLC? Not a problem with Forge.

I agree to an extent. Forge is nice because it lets everyone play new maps, but I look at it the other way. I think the way people can always play the included maps and Forge maps as what should be the baseline and see the DLC adoption problems as being a failure of the current DLC practices. And looking at it from another perspective, I wonder how the map designers feel about putting a ton of work into maps that will rarely get played. So sure, having Forge helps with the map variety problem, but I'd still rather the DLC adoption issue be fixed rather than using Forge as a stopgap.

The tool can be improved, but in my opinion, Forge is the single most important element in the longevity of Halo. Infinite free DLC. It should be getting much more dev focus than it has in the past, which would address your petty concern about visuals.

I'm not sure I agree about it being the most important element since I would rather play a "real" map every single time. That said, you are right about the advantages of doing an end run around stupid DLC policies.

I was saying this back in Halo: Reach, that sometimes I just want to play on-disc maps, so I can definitely appreciate this comment. Better playlist management is the key to this particular gripe, not removing Forge as a feature.

I don't think Forge maps should be in every single playlist.

Agreed.

by petetheduck, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 16:33 (3837 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Go look at this map and then tell me again how Forge maps look like crap, have no artistry, attention to detail, etc:

Weathered

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 18:06 (3837 days ago) @ petetheduck

Go look at this map and then tell me again how Forge maps look like crap, have no artistry, attention to detail, etc:

Weathered

The sand is a neat trick, I had to watch the video to see how they did it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really address either of my main problems with Forge maps:

1. It is still made up of generic, repetitive pieces. If I had to choose between that Forged version of Weathered or a hypothetical fully modeled one with real sand, its own skybox, and uniquely modeled buildings complete with custom decals and what not I would choose the fully modeled one every time. I'm not being flippant or trolling when I say it is something of a deal breaker to me. When I see a fully modeled map and two Forged maps come up on the voting screen, even if I know the two maps very well, my tendency is to vote for the fully modeled one because it is prettier and more detailed.

2. If I came across this map in game I would be crushed because I don't know where anything is. Yes, this is true of all new maps, but new fully modeled maps are rare while new Forged maps are not. I can also much more easily load up a new DLC map and run through it by myself, though I don't think I should have to. My solution to this problem, giving players some sort of quick pregame overview of a map would apply to fully modeled and Forged maps equally.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that Forged maps don't have a lot of effort, time, and skill poured into them, because they do, I just prefer fully modeled maps to them, and I don't think that is wrong at all.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 18:41 (3837 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Your point reminds me of TF2. Perfect visual design ruined by superfluous crap.

Kinda agree there. I dunno, maybe it's elitist or something. Not sure it matters to me.

And yeah, having to constantly learn new maps in Reach pushed me away from Halo. Since it's all about map control, it got really hard to just drop in on occasion and have fun.

Why I Enjoy Forge And It's Progeny Has A Place In Destiny

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 28, 2013, 07:28 (3836 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Forge in any execution is player expression, and to an extent freedom (it would have been true freedom if we fully had our hands on megalo).

So I do not know if custom mappings will make sense in Destiny, but player expression and freedom totally does. So much so I hope we can one day get a gunsmithing feature or vehicle tuning/creating. Giving the player tools to expand on your game is always awesome.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Monday, October 28, 2013, 09:18 (3836 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My only real complaint about Forge maps is the sameness caused by the single choice of textures on pieces. I understand the issue people have and it does seem like too many playlist become 90% Forge, but no way would I ever want it gone if there is a place for it. It does basically equate to unlimited free maps, even if they don't look as nice, on a console game. Plus, we'd miss out on all the crazy shit people like petetheduck make, the fun mini-games, and the really good normal maps that crop up too.

I won't be upset if it's not in Destiny, but if competitive stuff is as big as implied, I hope it's still there if only for customs.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread