Regarding a Piece of GitM Concept Art... (Destiny)

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 16:02 (3836 days ago)

[image]I was looking at this picture, and I noticed the name of the piece was 'Destiny: Last Voyage'. After glancing around at the actual concept art, I noticed that in the background, a bit hazy but still visible, was something that looked like it could be a futuristic space ship - sort of like a 28th-century version of the Space Shuttle. Seemed pretty interesting to me, so I thought I'd point it out and see what you guys thought.

Vale,
Perseus

Regarding a Piece of GitM Concept Art...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 16:09 (3836 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Looks to be what the colony ships would be without all of that colonist-y bits latched onto the sides. Great piece of art! I still need to go and check out that gallery.

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 18:00 (3836 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by PerseusSpartacus, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 18:04

Looks to be what the colony ships would be without all of that colonist-y bits latched onto the sides.

Good point. That could definitely be a colony ship. Look at all the stuff around it; looks like a big project to me. Another thing that should be pointed out is that, given how snowy it is, this is probably supposed to be in Old Russia. That would certainly fit with this:

There was a large walled structure built [in Old Russia] for the purpose of protecting numerous colony ships meant to flee Earth during the Collapse, and evidence of refugees attempting to escape the planet still remains.

Looks like we've figured out just what lays beyond that wall.

[image]

Vale,
Perseus

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 18:19 (3836 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Looks like we've figured out just what lays beyond that wall.

[image]

[image]

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 19:09 (3836 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 19:25

I was looking at this picture, and I noticed the name of the piece was 'Destiny: Last Voyage'. After glancing around at the actual concept art, I noticed that in the background, a bit hazy but still visible, was something that looked like it could be a futuristic space ship - sort of like a 28th-century version of the Space Shuttle. Seemed pretty interesting to me, so I thought I'd point it out and see what you guys thought.

Yes, I really took a liking to this image when it was revealed in the last few days. The composition is wonderful! Great Job JVD (Jesse Van Dijk). The background, framed by foreground, is pleasing to the eye and to me demonstrates what I imagine to be the beginning of the journey stretching back toward this up and coming "Last Voyage".

The foreground seems to be hearkening back to a different age.
I suspect we are looking at a ship building dock, where in some years past they assembled/painted(?) part of the ship we are seeing complete in the background. The right and left sides flanked in scaffolding, along with the robotic clamps/arms that can reach down and below the bottom of the hull are key in drawing my brain to think of age old images like these (maritime ships dry docked for assembly/repair):

[image]
[image]

I could be way off, but this is what I am liking to imagine as part of the inspiration and back story :)

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 19:51 (3836 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I thought it looked like a drydock as well. Very cool image.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 19:58 (3836 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Agreed. My first thought was some sort of very large construction dock or assembly line. My thinking is that Humanity suddenly found itself with 9 (yes nine! Long live Pluto!) very habitable planets and the means (FLT) to get to them and thus started a colonization boom / race / perhaps peaceful, but perhaps something more along the lines of an arms race to see which country could claim the most newly available space.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 28, 2013, 07:02 (3835 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

This seems like it will be apex of one of the subplots in game, like you must beat the Fallen to the last remaining colony ship to find out what the forces of old wanted so badly (given they wanted anything at all)

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Monday, October 28, 2013, 09:29 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

One question I think we have to ask ourselves is, did any of the colony ships make it out? If so, are there other humans out there, on some distant world? Will we be the ones who find them?

Vale,
Perseus

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 28, 2013, 09:33 (3835 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I'm curious with the ruin and decay all around, how did the current humans survive? how long has it been since we became the last citizens of the human race?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread