The Chinese Moonbase and Dead Taikonaut (Destiny)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 28, 2013, 12:53 (3835 days ago)

Just now getting to the Podcast today, and caught them mention the astronaut was actual a Taikonaut, chinese astronaut. This pairing with the Chinese writing on the moonbase renders, it looks less of an international moonbase effort, but instead a mainly chinese moon presence.

I'm wondering if this is more of a nod toward the chinese space program gaining dominance in the coming centuries, or something more akin to increased Chinese cultural significance like in Firefly (i.e. In Firefly, they spoke Chinese phrases and sayings at times, because Chinese influence became much more prominent in the future of Earth/Human culture).

The Chinese Moonbase and Dead Taikonaut

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 28, 2013, 14:17 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Heh. I've listened to the podcast twice (while busy with other things) and didn't manage to catch that either time. I'm still going with the "colonization arms race" based on the concept art showing several colony ship launch sites in seemingly different places on Earth, the existence of the War Powers of Mars, and now this possibly Chinese only moon colony.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 28, 2013, 15:51 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

(i.e. In Firefly, they spoke Chinese phrases and sayings at times, because Chinese

influence became much more prominent in the future of Earth/Human culture).

It also enabled them to curse with abandon on TV.

Best consequence ever

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 28, 2013, 16:37 (3835 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by ZackDark, Monday, October 28, 2013, 16:40

But on topic:

Reminds me of a few sci-fis I've read, most notably the Time's Eye series, where the Chinese always have superior lifting capacity, but 'go solo' on their survival efforts, mostly as a backlash to all the awful help they've received in the past.

Ohhhhhh, I thought it was Tikeonaut!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, October 28, 2013, 21:06 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, October 28, 2013, 21:18

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image].

[image][image]

[image]

And, just to add to the DBO: Corgi Compilation
[image]

That's my babay!!

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 06:21 (3834 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Wasn't expecting to see that this morning....

But, on-topic: I love the idea of the Chinese culture coming into more prominence in the future Earth of Destiny's lore. I think as Paddy mentioned, this stems from the love of the Firefly universe. I would *not* be upset if Destiny drew a bunch of inspiration from Firefly, similar to how Halo drew much inspiration from Alien.

Hey, Pyromancy I'm curious

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 09:30 (3833 days ago) @ Pyromancy

How did you compile the above images anyway? Kermit asked me to clarify my statement and it got me thinking... why do you have a picture of my baby handy, or how did you just accidentally stumble upon it?

Sorry

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 18:50 (3833 days ago) @ JDQuackers
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 19:13

Sorry if I creeped you out or got you paranoid. I probably would be too, which is why I tried to discreetly reference your original post with a link right after the image. See the full stop symbol (.) anchored with a URL after the image - a little too discreet I guess.
I mostly lurk the forum here, but remember stuff well. You and Mid7night posted photos of your little tikes. I wanted to use a pic of the little Obe-ster in the Bungie Onesie (I only thought he posted a photo of that. I remembered wrong.) In my DBO search for said photo, I came across your photo again, and decided to use it instead. The DBO Ship logo being the great astronaut tie in.

Your photo was found here on the DBO obviously.
The Bungie Onsie photos were from the Amazon Product Listing.
Found all other photos through Google.

Oh no--you don't need to apologize

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 05:44 (3832 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Sorry if I creeped you out or got you paranoid.

I was actually just curious if you had done a search for "Tikeonaut" or "Baby + Destiny" or something and Google's machine learning algorithm picked my little one up or something crazy like that. But really, I wasn't worried at all (though if I had noticed the link on the full stop, I probably would have had my answer already). Really though, it didn't bother me--I was more excited to see a picture of her than anything else!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 03:05 (3835 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Well they did talk mention our dying space program a few times.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 05:14 (3834 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yep, makes me sad, but we clearly have more important things like salaries for people don't un-shutdown the government.

Taking the fun out of funding.

Nice Reference

by Risay117, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 08:20 (3833 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Honestly what i wanted to say has already been said.

All that is left to say is really impressed at how this game is reaching out to all nationality and culture. Just hope we can see different people of different race etc exist. As well as culture and language.

Nice Reference

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 10:00 (3833 days ago) @ Risay117

+1

It is refreshing when American pop media becomes less eurocentric.

Nice Reference

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 10:29 (3833 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I think it's pretty commonplace now, and there are good (diversity) and bad (censorship) aspects.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakarin/how-hollywoods-obsession-with-china-may-change-movies-foreve

Nice Reference

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 11:47 (3833 days ago) @ Kermit

True, it's gotten a lot more common particularly in the past decade. And china is a huge market that is heavily regulated by the government.

But even when GTA V came out recently I read in a few places people complaining that it was set in America, again.

Of course, all media properties can't be all things to everyone.

I'll just end by saying it is a cool touch that Bungie is incorporating Old Russia and Taikonauts :)

Nice Reference

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 12:17 (3833 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I see GTA is being about America so at least that makes sense. (I read somewhere that the one set in London wasn't very good or popular.) I'm rather ignorant about the game's history.

I'm enjoying this one in large measure because of the social commentary.

Nice Reference

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 13:02 (3833 days ago) @ marmot 1333

True, it's gotten a lot more common particularly in the past decade. And china is a huge market that is heavily regulated by the government.

But even when GTA V came out recently I read in a few places people complaining that it was set in America, again.

Of course, all media properties can't be all things to everyone.

I'll just end by saying it is a cool touch that Bungie is incorporating Old Russia and Taikonauts :)

Now I might be wrong about this, but historically haven't GTA games been about American culture throughout the ages. Even Red Dead was about Western American culture. I wouldn't be against a GTA in another country, but it seems to be a style choice I like. It would be cool to see a GTAV character in somewhere like Hong Kong and start reacting to crime in another big city.

Nice Reference

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 13:18 (3833 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Now I might be wrong about this, but historically haven't GTA games been about American culture throughout the ages.

All of them except for the two expansion packs for the original GTA game. They were both set in London in 1969 and then 1961 respectively. (Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 followed by Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961).

I loved the places they took us to in the Halo series also

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 04:01 (3833 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

Nice Reference

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 19:14 (3833 days ago) @ Risay117
edited by Grizzlei, Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 19:18

All that is left to say is really impressed at how this game is reaching out to all nationality and culture. Just hope we can see different people of different race etc exist. As well as culture and language.

I can't wait to stroll through the streets of the Last City seeing the old cultures continue to thrive and new cultures coming to be following the Traveler's arrival.

More so, I'm curious about the China that came to Luna was like in its time and if their ambitions on Earth's moon were purely scientific or come into conflict with the Outer Space Treaty should it have still been in-effect.

Check out these *IMG*

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, November 03, 2013, 18:45 (3829 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

The dead Taikonaut on the lunar surface was a stark but resonating image. It will be cool to visit the location in game.

Check out these images I ran across:

[image]

Found out it was Drawn by Darrell Sweet back in the late 70-80's
It appeared in an issue of OMNI magazine, in 1980. It also appeared on the cover of James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars" Book 1 of the "Giants" series.

[image]

It then led me to find this. It looks like that in the mid 80's UK version/re-issue of the same novel, the cover was recommissioned by John Harris.

[image]

Here are two other digital images I came across that were cool/interesting.
[image]
[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread