ESRB Loot box descriptor (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 23:27 (1464 days ago)

https://www.esrb.org/blog/in-game-purchases-includes-random-items/

Finally! You'll be able to tell if a game has lootboxes. I've been starting to see microtransactions be listed as well.

I don't see any indication on Last of Us 2, but that could be because it was rated before this was adopted…

Too little, too late.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 05:48 (1464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Everyone already moved on to the premium battle pass model. All the same predatory bullshit, but none of the public outrage!

Too little, too late.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 06:24 (1464 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Everyone already moved on to the premium battle pass model. All the same predatory bullshit, but none of the public outrage!

I would love to hear from you how this is as bad as random/slot loot boxes.

Too little, too late.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 06:28 (1464 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I’m not sure we need to have this conversation again.

But since you asked, it’s because instead of being about providing a good product, it’s still just designed to pressure people as much as possible to play as much as possible and spend as much money as possible to get the stuff before it goes away forever. It’s inherently predatory.

Too little, too late.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 06:51 (1464 days ago) @ cheapLEY

But since you asked, it’s because instead of being about providing a good product, it’s still just designed to pressure people as much as possible to play as much as possible and spend as much money as possible to get the stuff before it goes away forever. It’s inherently predatory.

I'll agree that it's inherently predatory, but I've gotta say that lootboxes and the "gambling" nature of them is A LOT more predatory. One encourages an addiction with almost boundless amount of money it can extract vs the capped nature of "buy this pass".

I wish the "Premium battle pass" just had things timelocked where throughout the season you'd be able to check out new gear or get an infusion of materials, whatever.

It's the "well I've paid 10 bucks for this, I should get all of it, damn gotta grind it out I guess, sorry can't join you for strikes, already knocked out those bounties" that bothers me.

Too little, too late.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 06:52 (1464 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I would agree that some might be like that, but I would disagree with others, like Apex. In fact, there are many cases where the stuff that "goes away forever" actually returns in other events.

Has it made me play more because of it? Yep. Is that a bad thing? Nope.

Yes, this is my personal experience. And yes I understand these are made to get people to both play, and spend money. But I would not call them predatory.

Again, we don't have to get into this. I just wanted to give an example instead of a blanket statement for why they are not worse.

Hold up. Apex isnt predatory? Lol

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:03 (1460 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:19 (1460 days ago) @ someotherguy

I don't find it so. And I've played predatory games before.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 27, 2020, 10:27 (1460 days ago) @ someotherguy

I do think it is. But it does have a few key differences. The game is actually completely free to play. You only pay money for new characters, and you can actually get those decently easy for free. That gets more difficult the more you play, as the rewards for leveling up drop off at a certain point. Get to a high enough level, and earning a new character is probably not super realistic. If you play that much though, spending $12 on a new character probably isn’t a huge ask. Other than that, money only gets you cosmetics. I’m not typically a fan of that argument, as I don’t think there’s a clear line between cosmetics and gameplay—I firmly believe that if you can dress up your characters and gear then that is inherently gameplay. Unlike Destiny, though, there are no gameplay implications tied to your gear at all. No perks, no stats. It is just a skin. All events are entirely free, you don’t have to buy the season pass to participate in anything, it’s only to buy into the seasonal reward track. I still think that’s silly—paying for the privilege to grind out cosmetics isn’t great.

The game still heavily relies on fear of missing out and limited availability, and I think that is predatory and problematic. It’s not something I can explain away, but it does not bother me as much as how Destiny works. I can easily spend no money on Apex and still enjoy the entire game. That’s not true in Destiny, and it really feels to me like Bungie is trying to play both sides of saying the game is free to play, but you also still have to pay for these totally amazing (give me a break) seasonal activities. If you don’t pay, you get a skeleton of a game and can’t actually play current content with your friends, but if you do pay you get a bunch of half-baked activities that just push you to spend more money in the Eververse.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, April 27, 2020, 13:36 (1460 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I do think it is. But it does have a few key differences. The game is actually completely free to play. You only pay money for new characters, and you can actually get those decently easy for free.

I've unlocked every single character without paying anything for them. So while you can pay with money, you can also pay with in game currency that you earn by playing.

That gets more difficult the more you play, as the rewards for leveling up drop off at a certain point. Get to a high enough level, and earning a new character is probably not super realistic. If you play that much though, spending $12 on a new character probably isn’t a huge ask. Other than that, money only gets you cosmetics.

Where, "dropping off" is that everything is randomly given, and if you are randomly given something you already own you instead get in game currency that you can just unlock stuff.

I’m not typically a fan of that argument, as I don’t think there’s a clear line between cosmetics and gameplay—I firmly believe that if you can dress up your characters and gear then that is inherently gameplay. Unlike Destiny, though, there are no gameplay implications tied to your gear at all. No perks, no stats. It is just a skin. All events are entirely free, you don’t have to buy the season pass to participate in anything, it’s only to buy into the seasonal reward track. I still think that’s silly—paying for the privilege to grind out cosmetics isn’t great.

Both for Apex, and Dota 2. I've always bought their season pass, or other things to support the game company. They are both free games and I like the game. I also play Marvel Contest of Champions on my phone, but that company is evil, so I won't give them a dime even if their game is great.

The game still heavily relies on fear of missing out and limited availability, and I think that is predatory and problematic. It’s not something I can explain away, but it does not bother me as much as how Destiny works. I can easily spend no money on Apex and still enjoy the entire game.

I honestly am curious on where exactly the line is drawn. Is it literally that you can't stand games that have limited event items? Or that there are also options to buy said items for money? If it's the later, than what about if there are events that have limited event items (like Apex free events) that you can't buy? Is okay for people to spend unhealthy amounts of time instead of money?

I know I've mentioned this before, but time and money are both currencies in my mind. Some people have more of one than the other. And both can be used unhealthily.

That’s not true in Destiny, and it really feels to me like Bungie is trying to play both sides of saying the game is free to play, but you also still have to pay for these totally amazing (give me a break) seasonal activities. If you don’t pay, you get a skeleton of a game and can’t actually play current content with your friends, but if you do pay you get a bunch of half-baked activities that just push you to spend more money in the Eververse.

I just won't condemn all timed events because some people feel "forced" to spend money to finish it. Nor do I say that all companies who use it predators. I gave Apex as an example of a game where I don't feel that is true. Yes, Destiny has felt more like it. But I don't think it's fair to just give a blanket statement to all Battle passes. Again, this is just my side of the story. I'm sure there are others who have different experiences and feelings that make it feel evil.

Too little, too late.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 10:20 (1464 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Season passes are NOT inherently predatory. In the specific circumstance you describe, it very well may be. But as far as I understand it (and if this is wrong, please correct me):

Destiny is free for anyone to play, however a lot of the stuff you can do is only available if you buy the season pass. Free players can't play every activity. Nothing about that is inherently bad; it's no different than a shareware game with only the first few levels playable until you pay to get the whole thing.

But combine it with microtransactions as you describe, and you have problems. The problem is always the microtransactions.

Too little, too late.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 10:45 (1464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The battle pass is absolutely predatory. You pay however much money for the privilege to grind the game to get the stuff in the battle pass, and if you don’t grind enough before the next battle pass, tough shit, you just don’t get the items that you ostensibly paid for. Unless you cough up more money to buy battle pass levels.

Show me a battle pass that doesn’t expire and doesn’t allow you to buy levels and I’ll concede that specific one isn’t predatory.

In any case, my point was that lot boxes are barely an issue anymore because everyone had moved on to a new model that appears to be more straightforward (no gambling), but is still incredibly insidious.

Unless this warning actually factored into the rating (loot boxes? Automatic M), I’m not sure it’s even close to actually mattering.

Too little, too late.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 12:42 (1464 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The battle pass is absolutely predatory. You pay however much money for the privilege to grind the game to get the stuff in the battle pass, and if you don’t grind enough before the next battle pass, tough shit, you just don’t get the items that you ostensibly paid for. Unless you cough up more money to buy battle pass levels.

Okay, so the battle pass it timed essentially? Like, you buy the pass and you have a limited amount of time to play the stuff? That's… horrible.

Too little, too late.

by squidnh3, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 12:47 (1464 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay, so the battle pass it timed essentially? Like, you buy the pass and you have a limited amount of time to play the stuff? That's… horrible.

It's more like, by the time it goes away you never want to see it again (at least that goes for the playable stuff, not the loot drops).

Too little, too late.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 13:21 (1464 days ago) @ squidnh3

Sure.

Keep in mind I am talking generally, and not only about Destiny. I’m ostensibly paying for the armor and whatever else is on the reward track. But if I don’t play enough, I don’t actually get the stuff I paid for.

I’ve seen the argument that players know that going in, and that’s true, but I don’t find that a particularly convincing defense of the system.

Too little, too late.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, April 24, 2020, 01:25 (1463 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Battle Pass isn't about specific game modes. Your level on the BP goes up each time your character levels. The BP gives you items, such as cosmetics. If you don't finish the BP before the season is over, you do not get the items you didn't reach. You can choose to pay to close the gap at the end of the season if you want the items but didn't have time to play as much as you needed to.

That said, Battle Passes are generally decent for the money. IMO, its not unlike a regular MMO sub. Instead of paying to play, you pay to get extra loot while you play. That loot table only lasts the season, and the loot is the same for everyone with the BP.

I don't agree that its PREDATORY. I will say that Fortnite's implementation is probably better than Destiny's, purely because Fortnite is 100% cosmetics.

Too little, too late.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 24, 2020, 09:33 (1463 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

So I am confused.

If I were to download Destiny today, and not pay for the battle pass, could I go into trials or a raid? In other words, the only thing paying gets you is a shot at earning cosmetic items?

Too little, too late.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 24, 2020, 09:37 (1463 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So I am confused.

If I were to download Destiny today, and not pay for the battle pass, could I go into trials or a raid? In other words, the only thing paying gets you is a shot at earning cosmetic items?

Yes, you could play Trials (though that may change in a future season, see yesterday's TWAB). No, you couldn't raid (or at least not do the most recent raid - I'm not sure about older ones).

EF was talking about Battle Passes in general, not specifically Destiny's season pass. There are definitely non-cosmetics in that.

Too little, too late.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 24, 2020, 10:12 (1463 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think all the raids are still connected to whichever expansion they were originally paired with. You need to own Forsaken to do The Last Wish. The Leviathan and the two raid lairs are free for everyone in New Light I think, but beyond that you need to buy the connected expansion. I can’t verify that, as I own all the content, obviously.

Does everyone have access to the same power cap now? I remember Korny being stuck at 750 for ages before crossplay, but I think I remember they opened that up to everyone. If not that would be the obvious issue with Trials, like it was in Iron Banner. Sure, it’s technically free for everyone, but if you can’t get to the appropriate power level, you can’t really play it.

Too little, too late.

by squidnh3, Friday, April 24, 2020, 11:51 (1463 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think all the raids are still connected to whichever expansion they were originally paired with. You need to own Forsaken to do The Last Wish.

I'm pretty sure this is true, and that "Garden of Salvation" requires Shadowkeep, but not the current Season Pass.

The content of each Season Pass has mostly been:
1. A horde mode vaguely tied to some story stuff
2. Some sort of bounty station(s) to "upgrade" which give more drops and unlocks season-specific mods
3. An exotic "quest" or two
4. A 100 level reward sequence, which includes seasonal armor, weapons, and normal materials. Non-season pass owners also get a limited version of this with less drops.

For me personally, I got everything out of each season I could possibly get, and have no desire to ever return to the horde modes that have since been removed from the game. The mods have stuck around after the season, and it seems like the weapon and armor drops have sort of be re-added as world drops.

Enough guessing

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:25 (1462 days ago) @ squidnh3

Bungie has a page that explains what they want to sell you.

Last Wish, scourge and Crown of sorrow require forsaken. Garden Requires Shadowkeep. All earlier raids are free content.

Shattered throne needs Forsaken; Pit of sorrow requires Shadowkeep.

There are also some gear and weapons that will not drop unless you buy expansions.

--

None of the above things require Season passes, and season pass activities (which only sometimes exist and are distinct from the free to all seasonal events) and gear are only available while the season is active. The vast majority of the seasonal gear is cosmetic, but the pre-determined gear unlocks sometimes also include gear introduced as new in a season but available from random drops. The Cosmetic items do not show up in random drops. You must play to get items from the season pass level progression, and AFAIK you can't buy your way into season pass items. You get access to the current season pass whenever you buy one of the expansions listed above. Some gear is not available from the season pass progression but will only be available from drops or bounties during that season. (I can only think of Mods, here?) Some weapons and gear are introduced in a season, but continue to be part of the loot pool after the season ends (I'm thinking mostly of exotics)

--

I had never really considered the idea that I paid for something but didn't get to have it because the season changed. I don't think it feels all that different to me than when I missed out on one of the free events because I was too busy (Arbalest was but a dream for me for a while) But I do now see how it is, now that you mention it. I never felt like I was buying those items with my season pass money, though. I don't feel like they are owed to me. I don't know. In general I have felt it was a bit odd for them to lock out content based on date. The game is - in general - better for having more in it, though obviously more gear leads to balancing issues and more activities leads to matchmaking issues.

I'm still confused

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:43 (1462 days ago) @ Vortech

The expansions make sense but you say this:

You get access to the current season pass whenever you buy one of the expansions listed above.

So if you buy the expansions, you don't need the season pass? Who buys the season pass? People who don't have the expansion? I'm still confused about what you get when you buy it and who needs to buy it. Do you have to buy a new season pass every season? How long are the seasons?

I'm still confused

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:57 (1462 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s a one time deal. If you bought Shadowkeep, you got that current season for “free.” You could also just buy the season without Shadowkeep.

If you happen to not have an expansion, they’ll also give you the current season if you buy an expansion.

I'm still confused

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:09 (1462 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It’s a one time deal. If you bought Shadowkeep, you got that current season for “free.” You could also just buy the season without Shadowkeep.

If you happen to not have an expansion, they’ll also give you the current season if you buy an expansion.

So if you buy shadowkeep and the season you get ends, do you have to buy a new pass for the next season? What if you buy shadowkeep a day before the season ends?

I'm still confused

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:17 (1462 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So if you buy shadowkeep and the season you get ends, do you have to buy a new pass for the next season? What if you buy shadowkeep a day before the season ends?

No clue, but I'd strongly advise you to not do that.

If you miss the season pass, you'll still get the Shadowkeep campaign, Pit of Heresy, Vault of Grass, Nightmare Hunts, etc, but you'll miss whatever that season is putting out as exclusive (this current season has what, an Exotic that free players can't get?)

I'm still confused

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:46 (1461 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The season pass is completely disconnected from the actual expansions. They just give you the current season for free with an expansion purchase.

If you bought one on the last day of the season, I imagine you’re just out of luck. Just wait into the new season starts if that’s important to you. Otherwise each season is ten dollars.

I'm still confused

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 17:37 (1461 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The season pass is completely disconnected from the actual expansions. They just give you the current season for free with an expansion purchase.

If you bought one on the last day of the season, I imagine you’re just out of luck. Just wait into the new season starts if that’s important to you. Otherwise each season is ten dollars.

Looking this all up I'm still getting conflicting reports. The season pass DOES seem to contain activities, and non cosmetic items.

All the better I quit I guess.

I'm still confused

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:26 (1460 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Looking this all up I'm still getting conflicting reports. The season pass DOES seem to contain activities, and non cosmetic items.

Yes? Vortech already said that he buys the season pass specifically for the activities and doesn't really consider if he manages to get all of the season pass progression loot.

All the better I quit I guess.

If that works for you, I'm happy for you.

Enough guessing

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:59 (1462 days ago) @ Vortech

You must play to get items from the season pass level progression, and AFAIK you can't buy your way into season pass items.

You can straight up buy levels in the season pass for a dollar a pop. Bungie thinks those items are ostensibly worth $100.

Too little, too late.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 12:17 (1462 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Does everyone have access to the same power cap now? I remember Korny being stuck at 750 for ages before crossplay, but I think I remember they opened that up to everyone. If not that would be the obvious issue with Trials, like it was in Iron Banner. Sure, it’s technically free for everyone, but if you can’t get to the appropriate power level, you can’t really play it.

I have two friends who are New Light players, just dipping their feet into Destiny for the first time. Both are above 950 at this point.

Cosmetics, seasonal weapons, seasonal game modes

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:06 (1460 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Although on the bright side there's literally nothing worth having/doing this season.

Ding ding ding

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:04 (1460 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread