A quick note of thanks for y'alls support through my grief (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 09, 2020, 08:20 (1389 days ago)

Before we kick off a new season, I'd like to just reflect on how this community has helped my Dad and I cope with the loss of my Mom.

To provide some context, it's possible you have played with my dad, his XBL tag is SSN696NYC

As for my mom, I'll just share a cool anecdote about her that may appeal to some of y'all. She is the only person I personally know who has been to Area 51, she even got me a souvenir t-shirt (imagine a 90s black SR-71 t-shirt for a kid).

Anyways, last year she was diagnosed with ALS (so yeah, this isn't a covid story) and it's been a difficult year for my dad as he transitioned from enjoying retirement (playing Destiny, golf) to taking care of her as her health declined.

Playing Destiny has been one of his few reprieves from the challenges he faced, and that takes me to about a month ago. I had been trying to make it down to my parent's monthly to help my dad take care of my mom during the day, and to help my dad with his Destiny quest backlog at night. COVID-19 threw a wrench in my plans to frequently visit, but I managed to quarantine enough and was able to make the drive to my parents, (pro-tip, if you get allergy shots and generally have a reaction to them, avoid doing a 10 hour drive afterwards...).

I got to hang out with my mom, show her photos of my 1 year old, take her on walks...
[image]

I also got to play some Destiny with my dad, when I visit we setup a tiny LAN party every night (you may be able to divine my mom's place of work by their glassware...):
[image]

So! He got to see me get Divinity with a little (a lot) of help from DBO
[image]
[image]

And later that week, the last night before I left my parents, Wu sherpa'd my dad and I through The Shattered Throne, a first for my dad. It was a really special night for my dad and I. He had to break occasionally to check on my mom and Wu just stuck with us the whole way through, patiently explaining each encounter before we began.
[image]

All in all, it was a solid week of Destiny with my dad.
[image]

The next day, I left, peaking my head in to say goodbye to my mom while she napped thinking that maybe this was the last time.

10 days later my dad woke me up with a call to share that she passed peacefully while sleeping.

I was able to make it down to be there for my dad and help him make arrangements. At night while he seemed to be getting some proper sleep in the first time for a year, I got online and grieved in my own special way (thanks Wu and Steel for spending that time with me).

So... thanks! And take care, take care, take care.

<3

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 09, 2020, 08:39 (1389 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, June 09, 2020, 09:06 (1389 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 09, 2020, 09:19 (1389 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 09, 2020, 16:52 (1388 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 15:55 (1387 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 11, 2020, 00:15 (1387 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

<3

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Sunday, June 14, 2020, 10:36 (1384 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread